This is "Anthem", a brilliant TV commercial from the Bold 9900 campaign. It's my favorite BlackBerry ad ever.

One wonders what might have happened if marketing for later BlackBerry devices was even half this good.

10-09-16 10:09 PM
    I believe that is a good commercial because they were targeting YOUNGER people, and lets face it, that is something Blackberry really didn't do well in the past.

Also the fact they showed a few older devices to establish "History" or "heritage" and that doesn't have to mean something old and boring, etc.

I have not seen all the Blackberry commercials, how do you think this one compares to others?

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    10-09-16 10:33 PM
    I believe that is a good commercial because they were targeting YOUNGER people, and lets face it, that is something Blackberry really didn't do well in the past.

Also the fact they showed a few older devices to establish "History" or "heritage" and that doesn't have to mean something old and boring, etc.

I have not seen all the Blackberry commercials, how do you think this one compares to others?

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    I haven't seen all BlackBerry commercials, either, but I have seen several from this era. Many of them are quite good, but I think this one just has the perfect "vibe" about it. It showcases BlackBerry phones being used in everyday situations - empowering people to live life. The music and voiceover are excellent, and the imagery is great. Just a very well done piece of advertising that not only showcases the 9900 and BlackBerry devices, but encapsulates what BlackBerry is (or was at the time) all about.

"We engineer flow. It's what makes us BlackBerry." Pure poetry.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    10-09-16 11:31 PM
    Also consider that MANY younger people used them moreso then now (I believe) and BBM was one of the main social features that was king to make it popular with this crowd. I think BBM was first used in 2005 or so, and the celebrity power/influence was great for this. I remember being in Twitter back in 2010/2011 and this was when Twitter would show when someone posted, each tweet named the type of device it was done on. I recall very clearly (because I liked Paris Hilton) that all her tweets were done with a Blackberry. I think that type of Star power or "advertizing" had an effect on her fans and they went out and bought the Pearl model I believe she used then.

But my point is, this commercial is very accurate to that era when more younger people seemed to use these devices and everyone had their brand loyalty. People used what they liked and I think BBM was the main "cool factor" before the likes of Whatsapp, Line, KIK, Viber were ever envisioned. There was a definate youthful aspect to Blackberry and this is something that is scoffed at today if one merely suggests it.

I wish Twitter still showed on each tweet, which type of device is used because Facebook does this on each Status post still. Cool little aspect I think.

10-09-16 11:51 PM
    Also consider that MANY younger people used them moreso then now (I believe) and BBM was one of the main social features that was king to make it popular with this crowd. I think BBM was first used in 2005 or so, and the celebrity power/influence was great for this. I remember being in Twitter back in 2010/2011 and this was when Twitter would show when someone posted, each tweet named the type of device it was done on. I recall very clearly (because I liked Paris Hilton) that all her tweets were done with a Blackberry. I think that type of Star power or "advertizing" had an effect on her fans and they went out and bought the Pearl model I believe she used then.

But my point is, this commercial is very accurate to that era when more younger people seemed to use these devices and everyone had their brand loyalty. People used what they liked and I think BBM was the main "cool factor" before the likes of Whatsapp, Line, KIK, Viber were ever envisioned. There was a definate youthful aspect to Blackberry and this is something that is scoffed at today if one merely suggests it.

I wish Twitter still showed on each tweet, which type of device is used because Facebook does this on each Status post still. Cool little aspect I think.

You can still see the devices if you use blaq!

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-10-16 12:18 AM
    You can still see the devices if you use blaq!

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Ah that's a BB10 Twitter client. I had to Google it.

10-10-16 12:21 AM
    I recall very clearly (because I liked Paris Hilton) that all her tweets were done with a Blackberry.
    I remember the Alicia Keys debacle, when she had some kinda gig with BlackBerry and got "caught" tweeting on an iPhone. That had the _opposite_ effect as Paris' tweets.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    10-10-16 10:46 AM
    I haven't seen all BlackBerry commercials, either, but I have seen several from this era. Many of them are quite good, but I think this one just has the perfect "vibe" about it.
    I have been amazed at how little visual marketing has been used by BlackBerry, especially since it can be SO powerful. Apple -- the pioneer here -- and Samsung have both used TV spots to great effect, and the primary message conveyed by many of those ads is "this phone is beautiful." As a great example of how to do it right, I think the closeups of the Bold in this ad are fantastic.

I also like how they show the phone being used. Showing people using the BlackBerry 10 OS features for everyday tasks would have been GREAT..!!

But, no... we got that idiotic Super Bowl ad.

"We engineer flow. It's what makes us BlackBerry." Pure poetry.
    That's a beauty, alright... and does it ever WORK with BlackBerry 10!!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    10-10-16 11:02 AM
    This is "Anthem", a brilliant TV commercial from the Bold 9900 campaign. It's my favorite BlackBerry ad ever.
    I love that one. There are echoes of my favourite smartphone ad campaign ever in it:

Of course, no smartphone video thread is complete without that Moto Razr V8 ad:

...or those insanely surreal ads that helped drive a stake through Palm:

What a train wreck.

What are everyone else's favourites?
    Last edited by Shuswap; 10-11-16 at 12:55 AM.
    10-11-16 12:38 AM
    Shiny Toy Guns, cool song from them. I had the Motorola RAZR 2 in 2009 and had no idea it was called the "V8."

anon(8063781) likes this.
    10-11-16 02:56 AM
    Here are some ads from BlackBerry's "Be Bold" campaign. Razorfish and BlackBerry worked with Academy Award winning documentary filmmaker Errol Morris to create profiles of bold visionaries who couldn't do what they do without BlackBerry.

I really like these because they feature real people who use (or used...who knows what they use now) a BlackBerry as an essential part of their lives and livelihood.

My favorite line is from Meridith Valiando, the music tour promoter:

"Since I'm always on the move, I'm on the road, I get somewhere around a thousand emails a day. The only way that I can answer them is with my BlackBerry. Try writing a thousand emails on a touch screen." That claim is still a valid one, IMO.

10-11-16 04:17 PM
    One awesome commercial that BlackBerry had was one for when the first Torch was released. They went around and asked people if they had a BlackBerry and what their favourite features about it were. People were saying how much they loved bbm and the led notification and what their favourite apps were, some even said how much they loved the bbm notification tone. Really good commercial!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-11-16 07:40 PM
    Here are some ads from BlackBerry's "Be Bold" campaign. Razorfish and BlackBerry worked with Academy Award winning documentary filmmaker Errol Morris to create profiles of bold visionaries who couldn't do what they do without BlackBerry.

I really like these because they feature real people who use (or used...who knows what they use now) a BlackBerry as an essential part of their lives and livelihood.
    I cringe every time I see them taking pics with the camera! It's like, really, you're selling blurry muffins?
    David Tyler and jas1978 like this.
    10-11-16 09:39 PM
    I still like this one

10-11-16 09:44 PM
    I still like this one

Don't forget your helmet.

10-11-16 09:54 PM
    Don't forget your helmet.

Haha the Americans are learning about our humour (Canadian Spelling)

10-11-16 09:56 PM
    Sorry....dont like it. I actually think the ad is terrible and boring. It looks like a stock ad with little thought or creativity.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-16 09:56 PM
    Sorry....dont like it. I actually think the ad is terrible and boring. It looks like a stock ad with little thought or creativity.

Posted via CB10
    To each his/her own.

What's your idea of a good ad?

10-11-16 10:00 PM
    That was a different era OP. Back then, BB was actually the main sponsor of the 360 tour of U2... but seems like bricks keeps falling in them. First, Bono got injured and the tour got delayed a year.

Then delays for the release of the Playbook, a device that they never should had released since it's their phones that were in trouble.

Then the failed release of BB10... then we'll we all know the rest
    10-11-16 10:01 PM
    I still like this one

You should have posted this one in that thread about Canadians not supporting BlackBerry...
    10-12-16 12:05 AM
    You should have posted this one in that thread about Canadians not supporting BlackBerry...
    ya then I would be like the "anti-Canadian outcast"

10-12-16 02:34 AM
    Then delays for the release of the Playbook, a device that they never should had released since it's their phones that were in trouble.
    In my opinion, it wasn't the delayed release of the Playbook -- it was it's flawed functionality: It had a BlackBerry 10 forerunner OS, so you couldn't get your BIS email, and the only way to sync with your phone was through a clunky arrangement that required you to have a wireless plan with tethering. The Playbook didn't even have a calendar. No Wall Street Journal or New York Times apps. It had a nice camera, and you ccould play that racing game... >sigh<

10-12-16 07:55 AM
    In my opinion, it wasn't the delayed release of the Playbook -- it was it's flawed functionality: It had a BlackBerry 10 forerunner OS, so you couldn't get your BIS email, and the only way to sync with your phone was through a clunky arrangement that required you to have a wireless plan with tethering. The Playbook didn't even have a calendar. No Wall Street Journal or New York Times apps. It had a nice camera, and you ccould play that racing game... >sigh<

well delay and flaws go hand to hand in this case. it was delayed cause they couldn't get it coded right. in the end consumers had to wait and even after the wait it was incomplete. and for a product that blackberry had no market share
    10-12-16 08:54 AM
    Really nice commercial, too bad we won't ever see anything like that again on mainstream media.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-16 09:24 AM