I know that this may have been asked million times here... but there are still conflicting details on this. The new 9900 has a Li-Ion or Li-polymer? And should I charge often or should I charge after darning the battery completely each time?

What advice you guys can give me on best battery practices? How often should I charge and what practices will reduce the battery degeneration?

I am asking these because I want to see what my fellow crackberry users has to say about this. The internet is full of conflicting information.

Sorry if this question is posted million times here. With the new OS 6.1 (aka OS 7.0) and the new what RIM called "improved batteries", I wonder what you guys think?

Thank you.
    08-15-11 10:55 AM
    Well, as far as I know you can charge, discharge as often as you like because there is no 'memory' on lithium batteries. In terms of optimizing battery life, there are a few things I automatically change in my settings.
    1. Backlight. Set screen brightness to maybe 40% or as low as you can tolerate. Set to automatically dim. Timeout-lowest possible.
    2. Turn off GPS if you're not running apps that use GPS. Having your device constantly looking for satellites is a battery drain.
    3. Lower the interval on how often apps refresh (FB, Twitter, weather etc)
    This should maximize the amount of time you can go without a charge. But, I'm fairly certain you can charge, discharge whenever you need to.
    mssca likes this.
    08-15-11 11:03 AM
    My advice is to quick worrying about stuff like this and just enjoy your phone!
    08-15-11 11:06 AM
    Well, as far as I know you can charge, discharge as often as you like because there is no 'memory' on lithium batteries. In terms of optimizing battery life, there are a few things I automatically change in my settings.
    1. Backlight. Set screen brightness to maybe 40% or as low as you can tolerate. Set to automatically dim. Timeout-lowest possible.
    2. Turn off GPS if you're not running apps that use GPS. Having your device constantly looking for satellites is a battery drain.
    3. Lower the interval on how often apps refresh (FB, Twitter, weather etc)
    This should maximize the amount of time you can go without a charge. But, I'm fairly certain you can charge, discharge whenever you need to.
    Thank you. I dropped the brightness on my 9900 to 10 from 50 and it is still BETTER than 50 brightness on my 9700. That is wired... But thanks for the advice.

So... since there is no memory in battery, charge as often as possible?
    08-15-11 11:48 AM
    My advice is to quick worrying about stuff like this and just enjoy your phone!
    You are right... But I am a student and paid for my own phone. So... this is kind of an investment because I use my BB for school work. But I don't have a lot of money so.... I need to get the best out of this 9900.
    08-15-11 11:49 AM

So... since there is no memory in battery, charge as often as possible?
    Yes! Generally it is best to top-up the battery as opposed to letting it drain out (I've read that draining it regularly is actually bad for the battery). That said, the 'experts' do recommend doing a full cycle charge and discharge once a month or so to keep the phone/battery calibrated.

One other thing you can do to prolong battery is to the the network to 3G/H+ only (assuming you are generally in areas of good coverage), that will save it constantly looking for alt frequencies. If you are in a bad coverage area, set it to 2G only - you'll be amazed at how much longer the battery will go.

Also, if you are generally in an area with WiFi, use it. It is apparently less straining for the device to pull data off a WiFi connection than carrier data.

Hope that helps.
    08-15-11 12:04 PM
    Does anyone know if anyone is carrying the OEM batteries and battery charger yet?
    08-15-11 12:25 PM
    Does anyone know if anyone is carrying the OEM batteries and battery charger yet?
    yup: Bold 9900 - CrackBerry Canada
    08-15-11 12:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD