Ok thanks! Can I swap the radio files at any time? So if I put the 540sfi file in the 585 UMTS folder and then want to switch to either 503 or 585, can I just paste it in there and then loader.exe will detect the change?
    Sure you can... I'm forever switching radio files to find which one suits me best
    greggov likes this.
    12-11-11 01:22 PM
    You're getting too technical for me, official .585 works good all around for me.

What are the advantages to what you are doing, better signal with the radio from .540?

Cool you know how to do all that though.
    12-11-11 01:32 PM
    540 is a crappy OS because the radio signal is very weak, that is why it has been pulled out from all major carriers!

stick to 503 it's the best
    Yeah I agree
    I noticed .503 has better signal but I wouldn't reload my OS though, am happy with my battery life of .540 it is a painful process or reloading OS, I would have to re-download my apps and change my settings I don't have that time, I would be on .540 for a long time unless maybe the 2nd or 3rd iteration of official 7.1

People like philuk and others that constantly reload OS, why do you like trying out ALL os'es and downloading apps and changing options isn't a pain in the a.ss for you guys?
    12-11-11 01:46 PM
    Yeah I agree
    I noticed .503 has better signal but I wouldn't reload my OS though, am happy with my battery life of .540 it is a painful process or reloading OS, I would have to re-download my apps and change my settings I don't have that time, I would be on .540 for a long time unless maybe the 2nd or 3rd iteration of official 7.1

People like philuk and others that constantly reload OS, why do you like trying out ALL os'es and downloading apps and changing options isn't a pain in the a.ss for you guys?
    What method do you use for swapping the OS?
    If you use Loader (or DM), it will transfer over all of your personal data & settings as well as all of your apps.

I do need to re-enter some activation codes, sign-in again, and/or restore backups with some apps. I keep a file in Memopad call App Codes with all of the codes for easy access.
    Takes me maybe a half-hour or less, and a small price to pay for the prospect of better battery life.
    12-11-11 02:18 PM
    Inspite of the usual crowd who will have problems no matter what OS it is, 7.1 is much better than the others mentioned. If you wanna argue "I don't need the hotspot and .585 is great" that might be a viable argument. If .585 does have any short comings then you are once again left with 7.1.

This statement you made is pure fiction and goes to discredit everything you are attempting to convey.

I was over zealous in one post. I never called anyone stupid, those were your words. Having everyone entitled to an opinion doesn't make everyone right. I also don't see how it is even possible for me to censor anyone's opinion. Implying I can and do is fantastic.

This statement goes exactly to the point of my post. What I want people to know is this "Ignore all the retoric because there will always be people who have problems with any OS and they will have you moving down the stray path". Try 7.1 because it works fantastic.

Setups and performance can be different? Meaning what? An OS with more bugs may preform better for some people?

Like I said, some of us will have problems no matter the situation and I am advocating that they be ignored instead of letting them keep people from using better firmware. If you have a hard time discearning who is a "problem waiting for a place to happen" from "someone who has a legitimate problem" than its likely you will end up in the first category.

Maybe you could go into great detail how I am able censor or manipulate what others think when I am the same as you, "looking at my BlackBerry and writing on CrackBerry".
    Umm, what?

Then again, never mind.
    12-11-11 02:45 PM
    You're getting too technical for me, official .585 works good all around for me.

What are the advantages to what you are doing, better signal with the radio from .540?

Cool you know how to do all that though.
    Yes the potential advantage is a better radio signal.
    On 540 I dropped my Wi-Fi signal at home quite a lot, plus also frequently lost Bluetooth pairing with my earpiece & PlayBook. My router and earpiece are constants, so I'd blame the OS, or more specifically its radio file.

The Platform version is the radio file. Its file extension is .sfi so those 3 terms are relatively synonymous.
    It all seems very complicated before you've tried it, but it's actually remarkably simple.
    12-11-11 04:09 PM
    Umm, what?

Click to view quoted image

Then again, never mind.
    If reading hurts than just look at the pictures.

You Choose:

.5XX

Last edited by olblueyez; 12-11-11 at 04:18 PM.
    12-11-11 04:13 PM
    Why? Because this appears to be your opinion and yours alone. Ranting and raving about it in every other post doesn't change the fact that it's still your opinion, and it comes across as mighty obnoxious to suggest that anyone who doesn't agree with it is stupid. Many if not most other users who have tried 7.1 that I've seen are reporting more bugs and/or worse battery life than the later 7.0 versions. Your opinion is certainly as welcome as anyone else's, but you have to remember that everyone's performance and setups are different. What performs well for you won't necessarily perform well for everybody else. Now please, let everyone evaluate the opinions and feedback from others and make their own decisions.
    If you're expecting anything factual, or objective from the chairman of the bored, I'd advise against holding your breath.

....and I will have a phone that works better than yours.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 12-11-11 at 05:32 PM.
    sleepngbear and 10-Dee-Q like this.
    12-11-11 05:29 PM
    been on .503 for a while. battery is good but lookn to change. based on what im reading it's down to .585 Vs. 7.1 - I don't need Hotspot or UMA but i'm gonna try 7.1 ... if it sucks ill report back and try .585
    12-13-11 12:40 AM
    been on .503 for a while. battery is good but lookn to change. based on what im reading it's down to .585 Vs. 7.1 - I don't need Hotspot or UMA but i'm gonna try 7.1 ... if it sucks ill report back and try .585
    See the official .585 post.

Using a hydbrid of .585 with either .503 or .540 radio file seems to be the best OS around at the moment.
    12-13-11 03:13 AM
    See the official .585 post.

Using a hydbrid of .585 with either .503 or .540 radio file seems to be the best OS around at the moment.
    Which is a joke the you actually have to do this to have the phone functioning mildy like it should do.
    Hi Tek likes this.
    12-13-11 04:58 AM
    Actually best way to find out is to try it yourself
    12-13-11 06:15 AM
    Actually best way to find out is to try it yourself
    Quite right, we should not have to create our own OS to make the phone function properly.

I have no great hopes of OS7.1 until many builds have been released if the experience with 7.0 is anything to go on, but at least with the assistance of people such as Phill_UK we have the ability to make a workable OS with a decent battery life until RIM and the carriers get their acts together.
    12-13-11 07:23 AM
    If reading hurts than just look at the pictures.

You Choose:

.5XX

totally true to facts. i'll pick the loyal doggy .5xx rather than 7.1 leaked lady that will suck your energy dry...
    12-13-11 07:37 AM
    totally true to facts. i'll pick the loyal doggy .5xx rather than 7.1 leaked lady that will suck your energy dry...
    You would choose an angry dog chasing his tail over the beautiful angel?

Have at it.

You guys do know each new OS contains improvements the last OS needed, right?

You can lead a horse to water,,...
    12-13-11 07:44 AM
    You would choose an angry dog chasing his tail over the beautiful angel?

Have at it.

You can lead a horse to water,,...
    yup, i'm a down to earth type and dont believe in angels or god
    12-13-11 07:46 AM
    You guys do know each new OS contains improvements the last OS needed, right ?
    Not all improvements will necessarily make some peoples phones work better than they did without the improvements.

Very subjective, but what works for one does not work for all .....
    12-13-11 07:49 AM
    You do know that 7.1.0.74 is an older OS build than .503 .540 and .585, right?
    12-13-11 07:52 AM
    Your right Phil, .540 and .585 are better than 7.1 and for everyone else, I would stay away from 7.1, its a really lousy OS.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 12-13-11 at 08:40 AM.
    12-13-11 08:10 AM
    LOL....and sometimes a new OS breaks things that were previously "unbroken".
    12-13-11 08:14 AM
    Even if that were true Phil the thread questions what OS is best for the 9900
    It is true, check the dates... and the thread questions which is the best OS between .503 .540 and .585. That buggy old beta 7.1 build was not even in the equation.

That clear enough for you?
    12-13-11 08:25 AM
    Originally Posted by Legal Eagle
    "I am on day 8 with leaked 7.1 and have had no problems with it at all.

Battery life seems to be more or less on par with .503/.540 for me.

Give it a go, you can always go back your previous OS if it doesn't work for you."

That was then and this is now.

Leaked 7.1 became battery hungry, would idle at .9% until I made or received a call then would not revert back to .9% on idle but went to 3% plus on idle ad infinitum.

I gave it a go and have moved onto the hybrid .585/.540 which touch wood is working well.

As I have said before, there is no right or wrong OS to use, and certainly no need to abuse people who don't have the same view as you. Phill_UK is in my experience neither a liar or a fool.
    Last edited by Legal Eagle; 12-13-11 at 08:34 AM.
    12-13-11 08:32 AM
    LOL....and sometimes a new OS breaks things that were previously "unbroken".
    Hey Gizmo, just beccause something can happen doesn't mean it did happen.

You guys wanna shy away from a good OS because "You haven't tried it" then go for it.

You guys tell me, what is smarter, try it for yourself or being scared of it because some people who have problems with everything had some issues?

Anyone see the 9810 touch screen thread? Where all the people who wiped the phone and then installed the OS had no problems and the people who merely updated using DM or Device Transfer had lots of issues? Yet you have people posting that wiping a device is a complete waste of time. Who doesn't know a device wipe takes 5 minutes and reinstalling an OS twice takes many times that???

Like I said before, if you can't disearn the difference between "People who are a problem looking for a place to happen" and "People who have legitimate problems" then your going to end up in the first group following people who think something happened because it could happen. Even if they have no experience.
    12-13-11 08:37 AM
    just let mr olblue enjoy his ol buggy angel that has balls. he's happy there. no need to counter abuse him.
    pcgizmo#IM likes this.
    12-13-11 08:41 AM
    Originally Posted by Legal Eagle
    "I am on day 8 with leaked 7.1 and have had no problems with it at all.

Battery life seems to be more or less on par with .503/.540 for me.

Give it a go, you can always go back your previous OS if it doesn't work for you."

That was then and this is now.

Leaked 7.1 became battery hungry, would idle at .9% until I made or received a call then would not revert back to .9% on idle but went to 3% plus on idle ad infinitum.

I gave it a go and have moved onto the hybrid .585/.540 which touch wood is working well.

As I have said before, there is no right or wrong OS to use, and certainly no need to abuse people who don't have the same view as you. Phill_UK is in my experience neither a liar or a fool.
    Never said "he" was a liar or a fool.
    12-13-11 08:43 AM
118 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD