With BIS becoming End Of Life, is it possible to set up a workaround via setting up a self-hosted BES server?

Admittedly I don't understand a whole lot about the back-end tech, but a little bit of reading seems to indicate you can make a 9900 work via BES or BIS. Ergo if "BIS" goes away, couldn't hosting your own BES solve the issue?
    07-22-19 11:41 AM
    There USED to be, but I don't know if its still supported. It was called BES Express. Someone at CB used to run one that I got to play around with many moons ago.
    07-22-19 12:57 PM
    It would still required Carrier and BlackBerry support to make BES work... both those are part of the EOL products.

Only then newer BlackBerry UEM that doesn't use "BES" are going to be supported at that point. And it won't support BBOS or BB10.

But you can....The Bold Explorer
    07-22-19 01:12 PM
    BES was meant as middleware, meaning that worked with an existing exchange server setup. Are you hosting your own exchange email server? Prepared to pay the additional monthly fee on top of the initial purchase cost?

Of course, I have no idea how much of that is still available. BES Express was an option, but don't know if that's still available either.

And, as DuntX3 says, your carrier still needs you to sign up for a BES plan to even connect. And they're dumping those plans too.
    07-22-19 01:13 PM
    You guys old enough to remember the Commodore Amiga? These efforts to keep BBOS devices alive remind me of the old Amiga community that kept that device relevant for many years after it was EOL.
    07-23-19 10:42 AM
    You guys old enough to remember the Commodore Amiga? These efforts to keep BBOS devices alive remind me of the old Amiga community that kept that device relevant for many years after it was EOL.
    I could only (kid with an allowance) afford a VIC-20.... But being that there wasn't an Internet back then, I'm pretty sure there was no required network services to be running to make it work.

Think my tooth brush has more computational power than the VIC-20 did.
    07-23-19 02:44 PM
    Amiga still lives. From two days ago: https://hackaday.com/2019/07/21/a-ne...efuses-to-die/

Sent from my Mi A1 using Forums v1.3.3.
    07-23-19 10:09 PM
    I could only (kid with an allowance) afford a VIC-20.... But being that there wasn't an Internet back then, I'm pretty sure there was no required network services to be running to make it work.
    And that's the big difference. Once you start needing online resources, then the need to be up-to-date increases dramatically. You could use a BBOS device completely standalone for as long as the hardware functions, but as soon as you need it to connect to BB resources, you have a problem when those go away. And with BB's additional security (which things like the Amiga or Palm/WebOS/Symbian devices didn't have), you lose the ability to have community-provided work-arounds.
    07-24-19 01:43 AM
    I could only (kid with an allowance) afford a VIC-20.
    I totally had one too! But then I went Apple and got an Apple IIc, with LOTS of help from Dad! lol
    07-25-19 10:16 AM
    I totally had one too! But they I went Apple and got a Apple IIc, with LOTS of help from Dad! lol
    Would have loved one of those.... great thing is back then, they spoke the same language as Apple was what school used in computer class. Just needed a cassette tape to move the data back and forth...
    07-25-19 10:26 AM
    BES was meant as middleware, meaning that worked with an existing exchange server setup. Are you hosting your own exchange email server? Prepared to pay the additional monthly fee on top of the initial purchase cost?

Of course, I have no idea how much of that is still available. BES Express was an option, but don't know if that's still available either.

And, as DuntX3 says, your carrier still needs you to sign up for a BES plan to even connect. And they're dumping those plans too.
    My favorite period of BlackBerry was from 2010-2013 when I paid about $35 a month for my own cloud Exchange and cloud BES servers for my Bold. It was amazing, including the time my phone was stolen at an airport. I simply went online to wipe it remotely, then popped into an AT&T store, picked up a new phone, and all of my data and emails were restored within 30 minutes. Al I ever did was enter my BBID and PW.

I could also secure my company by white listing URLs and IP addresses in BES. That's something that Google doesn't support in 2019.

I wish I could do all of that now for $35 a month.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    07-25-19 11:49 AM
    My favorite period of BlackBerry was from 2010-2013 when I paid about $35 a month for my own cloud Exchange and cloud BES servers for my Bold. It was amazing, including the time my phone was stolen at an airport. I simply went online to wipe it remotely, then popped into an AT&T store, picked up a new phone, and all of my data and emails were restored within 30 minutes. Al I ever did was enter my BBID and PW.

I could also secure my company by white listing URLs and IP addresses in BES. That's something that Google doesn't support in 2019.

I wish I could do all of that now for $35 a month.

NordVPN is only about $3 a month and Exchange via Office 365 is $4.

But yeah if you need something company wide you'd need some of the more expensive enterprise UEM tools and services.
    07-25-19 01:34 PM
    NordVPN is only about $3 a month and Exchange via Office 365 is $4.

But yeah if you need something company wide you'd need some of the more expensive enterprise UEM tools and services.
    Neither of those solutions will let me restore a lost or stolen phone by simply entering my ID.

07-25-19 06:39 PM
    Neither of those solutions will let me restore a lost or stolen phone by simply entering my ID.

That comes default with either iOS or Android, and yes both are encrypted backups.
    07-26-19 09:22 AM
    That comes default with either iOS or Android, and yes both are encrypted backups.
    Not my experience with either. I still had to initiate the backup and restore manually, and I didn't get 100% of my data from either.

Apple requires that you have saved a recent backup. Otherwise you're out of luck, and it also requires you to use their iCloud service, which might be fine for some people but it's not free and it doesn't play well with other services.

Android also requires you to backup your system and only restores from a selected backup.

With BBOS/BES, I simple set up the phone with my BBID and everything was restored automatically with no prior action on my part required. That's because it was the BES service that kept track of everything I did automatically.

07-26-19 05:52 PM