I need to buy a new phone to replace my liquid-damaged 9900. My carrier is gracious enough to have lent me a 9800 in the meantime, but they want it back eventually. My carrier isn't Bell, but they source almost all of their phones from Bell.

I'm looking at buying a new 9900 off one of several seemingly-reputable eBay vendors. I'm wondering about a few things:

1) Anyone Bell customers on here who have activated a third-party 9900 on their network? Any problems? Anything to look out for? Any recommendations on a really good eBay vendor?

2) BONUS QUESTION: My carrier is actually Latitude Wireless. They're a division-of-a-division of Bell's, and use their network, but unlike Bell's network in most of Canada, Latitude actually uses CDMA in many rural communities. If I got an unlocked 9930, is there anything that would keep it from being activated on this network?

Might buy a 9930 just for kicks and try it out, but if anyone actually KNOWS, I'd be interested...
    06-14-12 06:57 PM
    Go to cellunlock.net and enter CrackB50 in the promo code and unlock it for a couple bucks. Then it'll work on any network. Just put in a SIM card. It'll be way cheaper than buying one that's already unlocked.
    06-14-12 07:00 PM
    Unless something has changed, I don't think you can unlock a CDMA phone to use with a different carrier. Your carrier would have to add it to their system.

I use an unlocked Rogers 9900 on the Bell network and it works perfectly, but it's the H+ network.
    06-14-12 07:34 PM
    It's not as easy as a GSM phone, but unlocks just the same. Provided it's a GSM/CDMA phone.
    Last edited by Lendo78; 06-14-12 at 08:18 PM.
    06-14-12 08:14 PM
    It's not as easy as a GSM phone, but unlocks just the same. Provided it's a GSM/CDMA phone.
    There ARE new "unlocked" 9930s available... Latitude just started selling a Curve that isn't offered by any other telco in Canada, and I know they don't have the resources to do any of their own customizations.

Yeah, might just give it a shot. Worst that happens is I sell the phone myself...
    06-14-12 08:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD