While we were anticipating for this particular phone for the past 3 years, RIM finally announced it! However, we all know that RIM is 1-3 years behind in technology. The 9900 is what the 9700 should've been. I feel like this Bold flagship may just be the beginning of the end for RIM. There was a time when we were using Nextels as business phones; now look where Nextel is at right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-11 05:46 PM
    Idk, the market will decide for sure. But one thing is that BlackBerry keyboard is still a good magnet for consumers like me. If the new Bold 9900 come up with same issues that the Bold 9780 has (double type thing: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...=1#post6332845) then, I think RIM is screwed for sure. If my new Bold 9900 get any major technical issues like those keypad issues, I am going to call RIM's customer service every day until I get a FULL refund OR a new phone. Also, I will prevent as many friends as possible from buying the 9900. Simple as that...
    05-23-11 05:57 PM
    While we were anticipating for this particular phone for the past 3 years, RIM finally announced it! However, we all know that RIM is 1-3 years behind in technology. The 9900 is what the 9700 should've been. I feel like this Bold flagship may just be the beginning of the end for RIM. There was a time when we were using Nextels as business phones; now look where Nextel is at right now.

How are the specs of the 9900 3 years old?
    05-23-11 06:12 PM
    RIM is behind? Well, of course, even their Co-CEO said it. . Hopefully they get their act together soon. Who really knows what will happen, but this new line of phones may be just the first step of their comeback. QNX phones being their goal of course.
    05-23-11 06:30 PM
    The 9900 is what the 9700 should've been.
    Yes, and the iPhone 4 is what the iPhone 3 should have been ...

and the Mustang is what the Model-T should have been ...

and Obama is what Reagan should have been ...

This illogical line of thinking makes me lol. If you have to have a phone with class-leading specs, go buy one. It will be surpassed by another fancy handset in a couple of months and then you can whine some more about how the manufacturer wont give you a discount to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

The rest of us will keep our Blackberries because while they aren't the fanciest phone out there in terms of specs, they get the job done.
    Spawn12, homer1475 and Blacklatino like this.
    05-23-11 06:34 PM
    Reagan did a lot better than obama. Just sayin....

05-23-11 06:40 PM
    ...and well said....
    05-23-11 07:07 PM
    BB is like a Honda in a lot of ways.....are they the fastest? Well, not really. Are they the best looking? maybe. Are they the best handling? No. They do not do any ONE thing better than any one else BUT they do everything you want it to do pretty darn well. Think about it. They do almost everything all those media, full touch screen phones do without having to re-charge every 3 hours. They have as good if not better resolution. The designs are dated but still handsome. And not to mention some of the best keyboards available. And all that with the BB of old. The new line up with the new processors and other internal bits should be on par or beat anything out there. As has always been the case, if you want to have several HD movies on your phone and a cinema like experience watching them on it, then buy a media phone. If you (like I do) love your 9700 but wish it had touch screen, then this is your device.

All I have ever asked for is my phone (9700) with touch screen. Now they one up my wish with bigger keyboard, touch screen, faster processor, more mem, ect, ect. What is not to love? Years behind....I don't think so.
    Last edited by chadecoen; 05-23-11 at 07:14 PM.
    05-23-11 07:08 PM
    Yes, and the iPhone 4 is what the iPhone 3 should have been ...

and the Mustang is what the Model-T should have been ...

and Obama is what Reagan should have been ...

This illogical line of thinking makes me lol. If you have to have a phone with class-leading specs, go buy one. It will be surpassed by another fancy handset in a couple of months and then you can whine some more about how the manufacturer wont give you a discount to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

The rest of us will keep our Blackberries because while they aren't the fanciest phone out there in terms of specs, they get the job done.
    You should apologize to Regan!
    05-24-11 05:12 AM
    so tired of these stupid threads
    05-24-11 05:33 AM
    i hope not but although specs are good, the phone just looks dated (IMHO), there is a lot of wasted real estate and it just looks chunky, unfortunatly looks are a big factor in a phone.

I can't see mass adoption in non business enviroments. I still wan't one tho!
    05-24-11 05:37 AM
    so tired of these stupid threads
    so why read and comment?
    BBRYCnvnedMe and Blacklatino like this.
    05-24-11 05:40 AM

This phone has same SoC as the HTC Thunderbolt. Another low post hit and run job.
    05-24-11 06:27 AM
    i hope not but although specs are good, the phone just looks dated (IMHO), there is a lot of wasted real estate and it just looks chunky, unfortunatly looks are a big factor in a phone.

I can't see mass adoption in non business enviroments. I still wan't one tho!
    Hummm the phone looks dated? What do you want a piece of glass iphone? Lets see how you would design it with a full qwerty.
    05-24-11 06:50 AM
    You should apologize to Regan!
    You're right, I wasn't implying that Reagan was inferior - only that he came first!
    05-24-11 08:46 AM
    Reagan did a lot better than obama. Just sayin....

Agreed. Reagan wasn't afraid to RAISE taxes when needed. And wanted to eliminate ALL nuclear weapons. He ADDED more departments to the government. Was FOR amnesty for illegal immigrants. I guess the one thing he'd probably regret was funding the Taliban and helping to create people like Osama Bin Laden.

Reagan wouldn't be welcome in the Republican party of today no matter how much he is worshipped as a saint of the party.

BUT i digress.

back on topic, the idea of this being what the 9700 should have been seems ridiculous at first (no phone I know of had a 1.2 ghz processor back then). But I agree in general that they should have released a successor with the same Bold 9000 form factor instead of the curve form factor.
    grover5 likes this.
    05-24-11 08:55 AM
    back on topic, the idea of this being what the 9700 should have been seems ridiculous at first (no phone I know of had a 1.2 ghz processor back then). But I agree in general that they should have released a successor with the same Bold 9000 form factor instead of the curve form factor.
    You can always tell the lazier trolls as they come out with these idiotic statements about specs that handily ignore the impossibility of their comment.

As far as the 9700 should have been another 9000 form factor, if you look at how well the 9700 sold, it did pretty well when it came to getting the fans of both the 9000 and the 8900 to move to one device. Equally bringing back the 9000 form factor makes sense for the first touchscreen bold to take advantage of the slightly larger size, but who knows if we will see a 9700 touch at some point too.
    05-24-11 10:34 AM
    3 years ago, back when Curve 8330, Bold 9000, trackballs, and the G1 were 'state of the art'. If you leave out the decaying Palm line, of course. IPhone wasn't even close to the specs of the modern line up of today, even as it had a decent UI.

Assertations are patently ridiculous. The modern specs have pretty much come into play in the last year and a half. The demand for smarter devices, especially those with multimedia capabilities just really started gaining speed in the latter part of 09.

If you aren't happy with what is available, get something else. There's the Androids that are popping up faster than mushrooms on a pile of fresh manure. Hey who knew, Windows is trying to get in the game! You can always get the latest iRephresh.

Regardless of opinion, one size does not fit all.

05-24-11 11:12 AM
    BB is nothing like a HONDA....if you had to do a battery pull on a HONDA every other day, you would never get to work.
    Who does a battery pull every other day?
    05-24-11 01:25 PM
    Regardless of opinion, one size does not fit all.
    That's what people tend to forget. One phone will never satisfy everyone. Also, every phone will have it's faults too.
    05-24-11 02:30 PM
    Actually, my last Honda Accord was a real POS. And swore that I would never buy another H product but that's another story. Everyone has lemons in their line up, just some more than others. But yes, like a Honda, generally speaking of performance. They aren't the fastest, best handling, or best looking, but they do all of it pretty well. Kinda like BB.
    05-24-11 06:47 PM
    Actually, my last Honda Accord was a real POS. And swore that I would never buy another H product but that's another story. Everyone has lemons in their line up, just some more than others. But yes, like a Honda, generally speaking of performance. They aren't the fastest, best handling, or best looking, but they do all of it pretty well. Kinda like BB.
    There are things the honda won't do, like carry 7 people, or tow a bigger boat. It doesn't pretend to be able to do those things. BB on the other hand makes attempts at doing many things it doesn't do well. Browsing is a perfect example. They tout a rich browsing experience, but it really is the worst smartphone on the market for web browsing. They need to admit what's broken and fix it, fast. I'm all for competition and I'm pretty excited for the 9930, but once it comes out, if the browsing is still painful, it's gone.
    05-25-11 05:14 PM
    That's what people tend to forget. One phone will never satisfy everyone. Also, every phone will have it's faults too.
    Unless the CEO of the company tells you that one phone works for every one

I love the fact that RIM has many different styles of phones, it gives people a choice to pick which is best for themselves. It must make it a bit for difficult to make them since they have to come up with different designs though.

05-25-11 08:33 PM
    Really? Are we arguing about BBs being Hondas? Now we are just being silly. Actually, I think Honda has a wanna be truck (no offense to any Ridge owners, it just won't do what my 1/2 ton will) that claims to be able to tow stuff and a mini van that doesn't really haul 8 adults very comfortably either.
    But whatever, if you don't expect this phone to be all that, just don't buy it. I happen to like almost everything my 9700 is and the things I want done differently are being taken care of with this new device. I too hope it is a success. BUT I have never placed much emphasis on browsing either. It is something I would just rather do on a pc. The few times I need a movie time or some other internet information, it works just fine for me. I have to use the internet on my phone everyday to open and close work orders for work and it does that pretty well also. Maybe this will be the device that changes the world.
    05-25-11 09:11 PM
    People will never be happy. We will always have something to say about something, period
    05-26-11 01:03 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD