Just updated to leaked OS 7.1.0.190 a few days ago, and I have an issue with bedside mode.
    I have a blackberry dock beside my bed and I dock my BB every night to charge it, I have it set to go into bedside mode when charging and enabled the setting to dismiss the clock automatically so the screen will go black and won't be so bright.
    However, when I dock it, the clock will not dismiss. It dims but never fully goes out. The clock WILL dismiss automatically when I manually put it into bedside mode, while NOT on the dock though.

I have had this issue with every OS 7.X I have used.

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem? If so, can I email blackberry about it or something of the sorts?

Thanks.
    01-20-12 03:44 PM
    When charging, set it to Do Nothing. It will eventually go black. I never could figure out what Dismiss Automatically meant.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-12 07:24 PM
  3. T
    "Dismiss clock automatically" means the clock will go away if you take it off the charger.
    Last edited by Tnis; 01-20-12 at 07:33 PM.
    diffused likes this.
    01-20-12 07:30 PM
    That's what I would expect as well but it seems to do nothing. So if you set the diasplay to DO Nothing, after it's put on a charge, the screen will go balck within a minute.

01-20-12 07:34 PM
  5. T
    No, it's working correctly. On battery, the screen will go black after a short time even in bedside mode. On the charger, it will stay on, and "dismiss clock automatically" will "close" or "exit" the clock when you unplug the charger (so you don't have to do it manually).
    robkd likes this.
    01-20-12 07:42 PM
    Dismiss means you don't have to press the back arrow then answer yes to get the clock to go away.

01-20-12 07:44 PM
    Yes that works but the point of it would be so that I don't have to change the alerts manually. I should be able to set it to go into bedside mode when charging (which would automatically change the alert profile) and the screen should go black but it doesn't. Why would I want it to be in bedside mode but have a bright clock all the time? Doesn't really seem logical...
    01-20-12 07:45 PM
  8. T
    Yes that works but the point of it would be so that I don't have to change the alerts manually. I should be able to set it to go into bedside mode when charging (which would automatically change the alert profile) and the screen should go black but it doesn't. Why would I want it to be in bedside mode but have a bright clock all the time? Doesn't really seem logical...
    All you say is correct, except the screen should not go black when the "display clock" option is selected. It does that when on battery only so that it won't kill your battery. If you really want the screen to go black in bedside mode while the BlackBerry is connected to the charger, you should select the "do nothing" option instead of "display clock" in clock settings, as the other poster suggested.
    01-20-12 07:49 PM
    So I guess there is no way for it to "Do nothing" and automatically change the alert profile?
    01-20-12 08:08 PM
    I've noticed the same thing. Except with mine, it will only go in to 'bedside mode' automatically AFTER the battery is at 100%, using the dock. But, if charging with USB port, it always goes in to bedside mode.

01-20-12 08:22 PM
  11. T
    So I guess there is no way for it to "Do nothing" and automatically change the alert profile?
    I'm sorry, I think I understand now what you're asking. Yes, I think there is no way to use bedside mode without it displaying the clock. I haven't yet tried pressing the escape key to exit the clock while it's in bedside mode connected to the charger. (I think it will exit the clock and still revert back to it.)
    01-20-12 08:38 PM
    Ya, its dumb
    Why would I want my phone to go into bedside mode (at my bedside) when its docked, then have a bright clock in my face all night? The screen should shut off IMO. If I wanted the clock I would have it "Display Clock" while docked and not in "Bedside Mode". That's why I am thinking its a bug...

Oh well, guess I'll just keep doing it manually
    01-20-12 10:14 PM
  13. T
    Ya, its dumb
    Why would I want my phone to go into bedside mode (at my bedside) when its docked, then have a bright clock in my face all night? The screen should shut off IMO. If I wanted the clock I would have it "Display Clock" while docked and not in "Bedside Mode". That's why I am thinking its a bug...

I guess I just have to know, do you have "dim screen" checked in the bedside mode options? If not, the clock and screen are pretty bright. If you check "dim screen" it will still be on albeit considerably dimmer. Another suggestion would be to switch the clock face to "analog." With the analog clock face there's a lot less white, more black, and the screen seems dimmer than when it's on digital, led digital, and flip clock.
    01-20-12 10:38 PM
    "Dismiss clock automatically" means the clock will go away if you take it off the charger.
    Yes!! Your explanation does work. Now I understand.

01-20-12 11:14 PM
    Ya, its dumb

It does that because it is trying to be a bedside clock of some sort. Personally I see fully why it's that way and actually love the feature. It's like having my own alarm clock right next to me so I can check the time in bed/etc.

But, my screen doesn't bother me at all. It's really dim and looks like a normal bedside digital clock that one would normally have as an alarm clock.

I can see why it might annoy some people though.
    01-21-12 01:43 AM
    I love the bedside clock/alarm, and use it all the time! Gotta LOVE it!
    01-21-12 09:18 AM
  17. T
    I love the bedside clock/alarm, and use it all the time! Gotta LOVE it!
    I do, too. That's why I got my charging pod: to use the bedside/clock feature and to save wear and tear on the usb jack.
    01-21-12 09:59 AM
    I also have a charging stand. Looks great.
    01-22-12 08:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD