I am wondering if BBM is encrypted if it is, how and what are the stats if not why not.
    I have heard 2 sides of the fence on this topic, I am just trying to get a definitive answer

Currently running 7.1.0.825 / 9900
    Last edited by vx1; 01-26-13 at 10:09 PM.
    01-26-13 09:03 PM
    I am wondering if BBM is encrypted if it is, how and what are the stats if not why not.
    I have heard 2 sides of the fence on this topic, I am just trying to get a definitive answer

Only in some countries.
    01-26-13 10:46 PM
    well...... 1. there is public key and private key.... 2. some compnies uses private keys so that when some on send messages they encript it and reader will have same key to decript it.... 3. you can also use public key to decrpit messages which is send, but it was send to decript with public key.... 4.normally carriers dont' use this model... you until and unless purchase your digital certificate or your company provides you... you will be sending simple text based messages. 5. it is expensive to maintain such model.... ............. conclusion:::: if you are using wireless carriers BIS... you are sending and recieving simple text based messages... which is not encripted by device..... but it is possible in case of BES... that you may send and recieve encripted messages. .................. you need digital certificates to do this.... if you encript your bbm message and send it to needed person... .... they should have
    01-26-13 11:36 PM
    Yes. They are encrypted or "scrambled", but not to the extent or in the total "end-to-end" way you may possibly mean, by the way BES BBM would be encrypted.
    See these links, but most importantly the RIM link for a direct source.
    Is BlackBerry messaging secure? | Sci-Tech | DAWN.COM
    FAQ: BlackBerry Messenger & PIN Messages are NOT Encrypted - BerryReview
    PIN encryption keys - Security Note - BlackBerry Messenger - 5.0, 6.0, 7.0
    HTH
    01-26-13 11:39 PM
    Yes. They are encrypted or "scrambled", but not to the extent or in the total "end-to-end" way you may possibly mean, by the way BES BBM would be encrypted. See these links, but most importantly the RIM link for a direct source. Is BlackBerry messaging secure? | Sci-Tech | DAWN.COM FAQ: BlackBerry Messenger & PIN Messages are NOT Encrypted - BerryReview PIN encryption keys - Security Note - BlackBerry Messenger - 5.0, 6.0, 7.0 HTH
    firstly....every BB has a default encription... but it can be decripted by any BB... but can't be decripted on PC if intercepted by some thief.. (this is global BB certerficate... Triple DES 168 bit key)........... ............... some times....some govt......private firm.....or other institution.....adds extra level of protection by adding their own digital certificate....so that if that message was intercepted or went to other person they can't read it..... ..... but it cost a bit.....so....in general....people don't have worry about encription......BBM/ Pin messages can't be send or read by other handhelds or pc... so relax... ...... BES: BlackBerry Enterprise Server.... used by small and large companies to host their own blackberry servies... like wireless carrier does i.e., is call BIS.
    01-26-13 11:52 PM
    firstly....every BB has a default encription... but it can be decripted by any BB... but can't be decripted on PC if intercepted by some thief.. (this is global BB certerficate... Triple DES 168 bit key)........... ............... some times....some govt......private firm.....or other institution.....adds extra level of protection by adding their own digital certificate....so that if that message was intercepted or went to other person they can't read it..... ..... but it cost a bit.....so....in general....people don't have worry about encription......BBM/ Pin messages can't be send or read by other handhelds or pc... so relax... ...... BES: BlackBerry Enterprise Server.... used by small and large companies to host their own blackberry servies... like wireless carrier does i.e., is call BIS.
    Hmmm. I'm not too sure what you are saying here....
    I provided the links with the correct answers to the OP's question.
    It can't get any clearer or concise than a link with the information directly from RIM.
    I never said anything at all about messages being read by other handhelds or PC's.
    So, what is it exactly that I'm supposed to "relax" about?
    01-26-13 11:58 PM

BBM over BIS is encrypted with a key common to every blackberry in the world. Anyone with access to the key would be able to decrypt the messages. The messages are, in addition, compressed and thus after decryption you would need to decompress the message as well to get to something readable.

RIM says that you should treat BBM over BIS messages as scrambled rather than encrypted.
    01-27-13 12:29 AM