I got 9700 when it was launched and I still use it. It is the best set I have used till now in terms of practicality. Even after used and abused like anything, it still gives me three to four days with wifi and bluetooth on. When 9900 was launched I immediately got it and its been a horrible experience.

Random hang up of phone, freezing, horrible would be an under statement for battery life. The thing which I love is the keypad, best keypad experience till now.

I am considering to switch and explore either Galaxy S III or iPhone 4s, which would be good enough to have six email accounts (push) and last me a day of heavy isage? (Whatsapp, 100 or so emails, browsing, rss) I seldom use the camera (not that its great to start with) or play games, watch movies etc.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by baqai; 06-12-12 at 06:26 PM.
    06-12-12 06:13 PM
    You spelled losing wrong.

But if Blackberry is no longer your thing, make the switch to iPhone.
    Its a great device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-12-12 06:20 PM
    Pardon me for the spelling mistake. English is not my mother tongue

Like I mentioned I still love my 9700, Its this 9900 which is giving me problems. At first I thought I got a faulty set but a quick google search told me that a lot of people are getting issues. Disappointed with RIM on this one.

06-12-12 06:27 PM
    What OS are u running? I am running 7.1.0.318 and do not have any of the problems you mentioned. If you are still running a 7.0 OS, that is most likely the reason you are having those issues. I would highly recommend installing a 7.1 version like the one mentioned before you give up and decide to switch. Even my battery life is good on 7.1.
    06-12-12 06:31 PM

Its a great device.

Really?
    You got too much time on your hands
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    06-12-12 06:32 PM
    Switched to 7.1.0.428 today, seems to be better but till now difference is not THAT great, from 6 I think I have come to around 10 (wild guess judging from battery status) but still no where close to my 9700.

I don't like touch screens they don't give that satisfaction a physical keyboard does, I did had a desire s which died on me.

jimmydee1984 likes this.
    06-12-12 06:36 PM
    Really?
    You got too much time on your hands
    He's right and too many people spell it wrong. If you can educate someone without being rude then it's a good thing.
    06-12-12 06:44 PM
    He's right and too many people spell it wrong. If you can educate someone without being rude then it's a good thing.
    It's weird, when people spell losing wrong, it urks me for some reason. But we all make mistakes sometimes

To the OP: If you feel that your 9900 is not performing well enough for you, you can always try an extended battery, or try changing some settings which may help you get better battery life.

Coming from an iPhone 4S, I can say that from waking up at 8AM to going to sleep at 11PM, I was usually sitting around 20% by the time I'd put it on the charger at night, unless I tethered it to my PlayBook which drains the battery like omg. The touch screen keyboard does take some time getting used to, landscape might be alittle easier for you in typing.

I don't know much about the SGSIII since it isn't out for AT&T yet, but I can say the SGSIII, the Galaxy Note, and the HTC One S would probably be the only Android phones that I'd buy. Androids are known to be power hogs, people charging multiple times per day, carrying extended batteries (which newer phones like the SGSIII don't have removable batteries), and people tend to complain about the OS being buggy.

My 2 cents is that if you DO switch, research carefully. It'll save you time in the long run from having/wanting to switch back to BB like I did.
    Last edited by LewLew23; 06-12-12 at 07:34 PM.
    06-12-12 07:28 PM

I wasn't rude though lol.
    I simply said he spelled it wrong lol didn't mean any harm by it.

06-12-12 07:37 PM
    Pardon me for the spelling mistake. English is not my mother tongue

Like I mentioned I still love my 9700, Its this 9900 which is giving me problems. At first I thought I got a faulty set but a quick google search told me that a lot of people are getting issues. Disappointed with RIM on this one.

Have you tried different OS versions?
    I have .267 & so far I have no issues.
    Maybe give it a try?

06-12-12 07:39 PM

Its a great device.

Agreed the 4s is a great device!
    06-12-12 07:56 PM
    I agree, touchscreen keyboard sucks, which is part of why I use Blackberry. My wife has a samsung galaxy SII and I can personally vouch for the fact that the bold gets far better battery life than that phone. She has to charge it halfway thru the day and my bold lasts me all day and is usually still around 40 some percent when I put it on the charger at night.
    06-13-12 02:29 PM
    I got 9700 when it was launched and I still use it. It is the best set I have used till now in terms of practicality. Even after used and abused like anything, it still gives me three to four days with wifi and bluetooth on. When 9900 was launched I immediately got it and its been a horrible experience.

Random hang up of phone, freezing, horrible would be an under statement for battery life. The thing which I love is the keypad, best keypad experience till now.

I am considering to switch and explore either Galaxy S III or iPhone 4s, which would be good enough to have six email accounts (push) and last me a day of heavy isage? (Whatsapp, 100 or so emails, browsing, rss) I seldom use the camera (not that its great to start with) or play games, watch movies etc.

Do you run 7.1 on your bold 9900?
    I had iphone 4 before switching to BB 9900, my usage pattern haven't changed a lot and I'm getting better(15-20%) battery life on the bold.

If you're looking for battery android is probably not for you.

06-13-12 02:48 PM
    Okay with the new OS the average time is around 12 hours before it goes in the red zone (shutting the radio antenna) better than before but far from being goof. Third party apps on my phone is tapatalk and facebook (technically since it comes pre installed we can't call it third party can we).

06-13-12 04:09 PM
    Okay with the new OS the average time is around 12 hours before it goes in the red zone (shutting the radio antenna) better than before but far from being goof. Third party apps on my phone is tapatalk and facebook (technically since it comes pre installed we can't call it third party can we).

Few tips:
    1. If you at home\office where you have WIFI turn WIFI on, otherwise turn WIFI OFF.
    2. Within facebook decrease the refresh period.
    donemt likes this.
    06-13-12 05:44 PM
    The bold 9900 is one of the worst phones ever in the world. I have never seen so many issues with one phone.

Also I have never seen too many people saying about how bad is the 9900.

The people in this forum that say that they have no issues is because they have never used other good phone and they think that all that issues are normal.

Right now I am using a 9700 and it works very good without issues and the battery life is amazing.

I also have an iphone 4S and it is an amazing phone you will love it, but you will miss the amazing keyboard of the 9900 or the physical keyboard of the 9700.

I also have 3 bold 9900 that bricked and the last one was stolen, this is why I know perfectly what are the issues with the 9900.

If you are going to buy an iohone 4S I recommend you to wait for the iphone 5, the difference is going to be big compared to the 4S. The iphone 5 will have a bigger screen but not as big like the galaxy 3

About the Galay 3 is very good, but it is too big for me. Also I don't trust Android it is too easy to hack your phone and get all your info.
    06-13-12 11:33 PM
    If you want another phone to match your 9700 in battery life you are going to need a feature phone or something huge with a brick for a battery (ie the Droid RAZR Maxx).

Freeze ups without something that warrants it (like receiving a 100 emails at once), are not normal.

Start with a clean OS install and be careful about installing and trying 3rd party apps. I have found that over time a lot of app installs and removals generally degrades the OS image.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-14-12 01:55 AM
    I've been new to Blackberry since April this year, so I can't compare the 9900 to the older RIM models. However I can compare the 9900 to quite some other modern day devices.

Personally I can't recreate most of the problems you seem having with your Bold. In terms of software, I rarely have any stuttering or freezes. The OS crashed once within over two months now. Usually I feel for the need of a restart not more than twice a week - mostly only one restart per week. So in terms of software and functionality, I am very pleased. Have used quite some mobile plattforms before (Symbian, Android, Maemo, Windows Mobile) and in terms of stability, the Bold 9900 really stands out in a positive matter.

Having said that, the 9900 of course if by far not a perfect device. The problems in direct sunlight are annoying. Build quality varies, I tried five Bolds in the store I bought it from: three were just out of the question (with missalligned buttons, sunken trackpads), one was acceptable (but really just that), while one could actually be called "good". For a >500,-€ device, this shouldn't happen.

On to your battery problems:
    My Bold lasts me usually between 12 and 28 hours, depending on usage and where I'm heading to. For example I'm often on the move, even more often in areas with bad network coverage. That alone drains the battery. Right now my Bold has been charged completely 22 hours ago, battery sits at 35%. Yesterday there was around 30 minutes of phone call, 60 minutes MP3, around two hours of webbrowsing, "some" BBM, textmesseging and E-Mail.
    However I should say I rarely use WiFi or Bluetooth. Having both always on however, at least I can tell from another phone experience, is quite a battery hog.

Long story short: I don't want to say the iPhone 4s is a bad device, I bet it ain't. However I have high doubts your primary concern, battery life, will be cured with a switch to the Apple phone. A friend of mine has one, neither my 9900 nor his 4s are somewhere overwhelming in terms of battery performance. Depending on usage sometimes his iPhone keeps going a bit longer, most times it is my Bold which keeps doing a bit longer.
    06-14-12 04:55 AM
    The battery life on the SG III is one of its strong points evidently from reviews.
    06-14-12 04:59 AM
    I've been new to Blackberry since April this year, so I can't compare the 9900 to the older RIM models. However I can compare the 9900 to quite some other modern day devices.

Personally I can't recreate most of the problems you seem having with your Bold. In terms of software, I rarely have any stuttering or freezes. The OS crashed once within over two months now. Usually I feel for the need of a restart not more than twice a week - mostly only one restart per week. So in terms of software and functionality, I am very pleased. Have used quite some mobile plattforms before (Symbian, Android, Maemo, Windows Mobile) and in terms of stability, the Bold 9900 really stands out in a positive matter.

Having said that, the 9900 of course if by far not a perfect device. The problems in direct sunlight are annoying. Build quality varies, I tried five Bolds in the store I bought it from: three were just out of the question (with missalligned buttons, sunken trackpads), one was acceptable (but really just that), while one could actually be called "good". For a >500,-� device, this shouldn't happen.

On to your battery problems:
    My Bold lasts me usually between 12 and 28 hours, depending on usage and where I'm heading to. For example I'm often on the move, even more often in areas with bad network coverage. That alone drains the battery. Right now my Bold has been charged completely 22 hours ago, battery sits at 35%. Yesterday there was around 30 minutes of phone call, 60 minutes MP3, around two hours of webbrowsing, "some" BBM, textmesseging and E-Mail.
    However I should say I rarely use WiFi or Bluetooth. Having both always on however, at least I can tell from another phone experience, is quite a battery hog.

Long story short: I don't want to say the iPhone 4s is a bad device, I bet it ain't. However I have high doubts your primary concern, battery life, will be cured with a switch to the Apple phone. A friend of mine has one, neither my 9900 nor his 4s are somewhere overwhelming in terms of battery performance. Depending on usage sometimes his iPhone keeps going a bit longer, most times it is my Bold which keeps doing a bit longer.
    sunligth problem solved at 7.1.0.437
    06-14-12 05:16 AM
    sunligth problem solved at 7.1.0.437
    I'd love to see this but I have a 9930 and us 9930 users don't get new operating systems at all. By the time they start caring about 9930 users I'll be at verizon using my upgrade on the iphone which I totally hate. But I need a phone that works. A phone I don't need to plug into my PC to repair it myself.
    06-15-12 12:14 PM
    The OS might be the issue here. Try 7.1 and see.

------------------------------------------
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry Forums APP.
    06-17-12 03:21 PM
    I had 9700 and was my best blackberry. I had 9800 after, tahn 9810. Now im waiting for my 9900. When i got my 9800 i got an iphone 3, i put my simcard but less than 5minutes i was looking for my 9800 keyboard LOL. I hope i dont disapoint on 9900 like u did... I sold my 9810 to buy the 9900 because it looks a lot with the 9700...but with touchscreen and OS7. Samsung and other androids are out of question too. So, bb 4ever i guess! Just give rim a second chance and hold until october (blackberry10)...
    06-17-12 07:27 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I understand that the issues you have brought forward are more than valid, but I will be the first to tell you that as a user of both a Torch 9810 (which did have slightly better battery life than the 9900) and an android phone, you will not be happy with the on-screen keyboard after using the keyboard on the 9900. It is just that good. The iPhone keyboard can be cramped in comparison. As well, while "there's an app for that", you will probably notice the difference in your data usage and signal quality as well. BlackBerry phones are known for incredible reception capability, and I have watched my Android phone hunt for signal while my BlackBerry hums along with two or three bars of service.

In the end, it is entirely up to you what you decide to do. If you must go android, the Samsung GS3 is probably the best way to go. Otherwise I would recommend the iPhone a touch more as a replacement. It sounds like you have the latest OS installed, but I would suggest before you jump ship, talk to your carrier and see if they may be willing to swap the phone for you, it could be just the handset.
    06-17-12 07:50 PM

Hello,

Dont do that.. i have tried everything and i keep coming back, please save your money for the BB10 experience.

I am kindly asking you to think about this : how much productivity can you get out of an iphone or android? I mean okay, the apps are there and everything but i assume that you will not be writing an essay on a mobile device or designing a flyer on it correct?

I distinguish BB as something exclusive because i get the things that matter the most in the fastest way possible, it is a great communication device, not a laptop and outmost not a glorified psp... iOS and Android bore me and to be honest i hate operating a device that most people are using it for playing games...

Your call, i am just trying to help!
    tagumcity likes this.
    06-18-12 01:29 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD