So my bb 9930 - verizon - will not charge until after a battery pull. This is the case with multiple chargers. I can do a battery pull, charge it, then after a few minutes it will no longer charge when plugged in.

I searched around the net thinking that if it was an OS problem, surely it would be found somewhere, but clearly it isn't a widespread issue...

What I've done thus far:

- tried multiple chargers, and same thing with all of them, so it is not a pin/charger slot issue.
    -contacted verizon about it - phone was still under warranty - and got a new one sent to me, but kept the same battery and case back (which makes me wonder if it has something to do with the battery...)
    - thought it might be the recent OS update, but as I said, because I'm not seeing the issue anywhere else, clearly it's not an everyone issue.

Any thoughts? Could it be the battery?

Thanks for any help.
    10-26-11 11:36 AM
    So my bb 9930 - verizon - will not charge until after a battery pull. This is the case with multiple chargers. I can do a battery pull, charge it, then after a few minutes it will no longer charge when plugged in.

I searched around the net thinking that if it was an OS problem, surely it would be found somewhere, but clearly it isn't a widespread issue...

What I've done thus far:

- tried multiple chargers, and same thing with all of them, so it is not a pin/charger slot issue.
    -contacted verizon about it - phone was still under warranty - and got a new one sent to me, but kept the same battery and case back (which makes me wonder if it has something to do with the battery...)
    - thought it might be the recent OS update, but as I said, because I'm not seeing the issue anywhere else, clearly it's not an everyone issue.

Any thoughts? Could it be the battery?

Thanks for any help.
    Sound like you answered your own question.
    zamboni08 likes this.
    10-26-11 11:39 AM
    When plugged in and won't charge, what icon do you see for the battery at the top left of the display?
    10-26-11 11:40 AM
    The plug, no bolt.
    10-26-11 11:50 AM
    The plug, no bolt.
    You mean a partially filled battery icon with the plug? Look here and comment if possible so RIM is made aware of this! 9930: this icon shows and micro USB stops working - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    zamboni08 likes this.
    10-26-11 11:52 AM
    Correct. Battery icon with black plug.

Window also always pops up with the "charging source connected to your blackberry device cannot charge your battery"
    10-26-11 11:57 AM
    You mean a partially filled battery icon with the plug? Look here and comment if possible so RIM is made aware of this! 9930: this icon shows and micro USB stops working - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Posted in other BB forums. Thanks for the tip....Hope this is solved soon.
    10-26-11 12:06 PM
    FYI for anyone who may read this in the future. Verizon sent me a new battery and that fixed the problem, as I thought it might...

No water damage or anything to the old battery, so no specifics on what may have caused it.
    11-01-11 01:42 PM
    Please let us know if it still works in a few days. I have had the same problem through several os upgrades and 3 different batteries. After a battery pull, it will usually be ok for several charges, but eventually will revert back to your stated problem. Error message and plug instead of bolt. I don't think it is a battery or os issue. I think it is a RIM/VZW issue.
    11-01-11 03:12 PM
    UPDATE. Only took a couple of hours and I was back to square one. Same issue after a new phone, new battery, and has done it before and after the new OS update.

Rim, Verizon??
    11-01-11 03:53 PM
    I had the same problem, I uninstalled Battery Saver or any other apps related to the battery, that solved the problem

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-11 05:34 AM
    I haven't installed any apps re: my battery. Anymore details that might help? Was it just removing stuff you added?
    11-02-11 09:17 AM
    I'm having the exact same issue and it only started after upgrading the OS from the original stock to the latest version which has NFC enabled on Verizon. If someone has a fix, please let me know.
    11-02-11 04:12 PM
    I'm having the exact same issue and it only started after upgrading the OS from the original stock to the latest version which has NFC enabled on Verizon. If someone has a fix, please let me know.
    Verizon?

11-02-11 04:15 PM
    same problem here... but i can't remember whether it's because of the recent 439 upgrade... what i did is to do a restart using alt+aA+del, then i will be able to start charging...
    11-02-11 09:09 PM
    Never thought of trying it that way... That worked as well, which is a little more convenient than popping the back off every time. Still wish there was a damn solution.
    11-03-11 09:11 AM
    Guys do you have Meterberry installed? and which version? Could it be the culprit?
    11-03-11 05:24 PM
    Nope. I have very few apps installed: slacker, bank of america, facebbok and twitter.

11-03-11 05:30 PM
    Do you guys have wi-fi on when this happens?
    11-03-11 11:24 PM
    I do, yes. Never tried deactivating wifi. Will try in a bit and report back.

11-04-11 07:57 AM
    Turning wifi off didn't do anything. Still black plug, and will only charge with restart or battery pull.
    11-04-11 09:44 AM
    Similar issue here.

I have a 2 month old 9900 from T-Mobile and all of a sudden, it won't charge off the USB charger/cable anymore. It charges fine using the same cable and a USB port on my computers, or from a wall charger or even car charger. I've tried multiple cables and other USB chargers; it just won't do it over USB. I've even tried other people's houses!

I don't get any change in the icon; it's as if nothing is connected at all.

I was sure it was a hardware issue. I called T-Mob and they sent me a brand new replacement sans batter and back cover. First thing I did when I turned it on was plug it into the USB charger. Same thing, no charge! WTH? I swapped and returned the original 9900 and kept the replacement. It's been a couple weeks now, so I backed up my replacement device and did a full wipe and tried the USB charging again. and...nothing(!)...obviously multiple battery pulls along the way as well.

Hmm, must be the battery right? So I called them again, just got my new battery and plugged it in. Still no charge! I get the same "you can't charge from the connected source" message as the OP.

I'm stumped and not sure what else to try. At this point, the device is completely new as well as the battery. I've tried charging from totally clean factory fresh OSes and it still doesn't work over USB.

What did I miss?
    Last edited by bryanus; 11-05-11 at 06:57 PM.
    viper-85 likes this.
    11-05-11 04:43 PM
    I was experiencing this too on several different os versions, but after upgrading to the latest (.474), I have not encountered the problem.

Hope it's gone for good - it's a real nuisance!

11-05-11 09:50 PM
    You mean .374? Mine has had the issue before and after the OS update to .374 on 2 devices...

I was experiencing this too on several different os versions, but after upgrading to the latest (.474), I have not encountered the problem.

11-05-11 09:53 PM
    I guess updating the OS is something I haven't tried yet. But I didn't think I would have to, since it charged just fine from the USB charger using the OEM T-mobile OS for 2 months. I guess that's all I have left to try at this point.

I'm running 7.0.0 bundle 131(v7.0.0.250, Platform 5.0.0.448).

I'll report back in a bit.

OK, I'm back after updating to .474 (GSM)...USB Charging STILL doesn't work! WTH could it be! Oh well I guess I got an extra battery out of it...bah.

Last edited by bryanus; 11-06-11 at 12:54 AM.
    11-05-11 11:29 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD