Just a hypothetical: say someone were to find a lost phone or steal a phone and BB protect was on said phone. If that person refused to return it, would the fact that the GPS places the phone at a certain location give police the right to search someone's possessions/car/home without a warrant? Especially if they are certain that the phone is on someone or in a certain car or house?
    12-11-11 09:40 AM
    I don't think the law has quite caught up with technology in that respect. I'm sure there's an attorney on this forum somewhere who can comment too.

Joe
    12-11-11 10:05 AM
    My assumption is that the police would not bother with such small case unless you are a big shot.

But lets assume on the positive side that the police would investigate and found the phone based on the GPS location and ASSUMING it can pin point to the exact house with GPS error within, say 5 meters, I think the Police would still need a warrant to search the house.

Now, police can do all kind of weird stuffs. The procedures is to use a warrant to search the house but they may not do so entering a house without a warrant but that is another topic to debate on

- Charles
    12-11-11 11:39 AM
    Police? Police?? No, me and a few buddies will go "find it".
    12-11-11 01:55 PM
    If they let the police in the house then they let them in the house. It's up to the people to be smart enough to say no but in this case you're hoping they aren't so you can get your phone back.
    12-11-11 02:29 PM
    What does this have to do with Bold 99xx?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-11 03:38 PM
    Don't delude yourself by thinking that police won't do something. They will, and do, do anything they want to. The law does not apply to them.

Sorry, rant over.
    you sound like a hippie, sorry, rant over
    12-11-11 03:48 PM
    What does this have to do with Bold 99xx?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Are Bold 99xx not phones with BB protect?

Well from what I understand, the police are allowed to search without warrant if someone has just committed an offense or has committed an offense with a weapon (in Canada). So if you were robbed with a weapon or if they recently stole your phone, I'm thinking the police would be allowed to search without a warrant. I'm not sure about someone refusing to return a phone or if someone stole a phone without a weapon, and some time has expired. In the latter, they are in possession of stolen goods, which could mean that a warrant could be issued. I'm just curious is all, as I"m sure some of you guys are.
    12-11-11 11:43 PM
    Are Bold 99xx not phones with BB protect?

Well from what I understand, the police are allowed to search without warrant if someone has just committed an offense or has committed an offense with a weapon (in Canada). So if you were robbed with a weapon or if they recently stole your phone, I'm thinking the police would be allowed to search without a warrant. I'm not sure about someone refusing to return a phone or if someone stole a phone without a weapon, and some time has expired. In the latter, they are in possession of stolen goods, which could mean that a warrant could be issued. I'm just curious is all, as I"m sure some of you guys are.
    So what? None of the other Blackberries run BB Protect??????

There's an Apps forum for apps related questions.
    12-12-11 08:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD