Just picked up the BB 9930 and I was considering the option of using the password on it. I previously had the 9650 and never used the password option, but have thinking of it.

If I set this, and decide later that its a nusiance or something, can I simply shut it off?
    09-19-11 09:35 AM
    Yep once you enable password protect on the device if you choose you want to turn it off. Go back into options and uncheck the box. You will be prompt to enter the password to confirm this security change, then you should be good to go.
    BuddyC_cb likes this.
    09-19-11 09:49 AM
    That sounds good. I'm going to give this a try, and if its too much of a headache, then I'll just remove it. Thanks for the help!
    09-19-11 10:16 AM
    I use a password and set it to lock at 1 minute of idling. Was a pain at first, but wouldn't not have it now. Stops my mates and siblings getting into my messages, facebook etc
    09-19-11 10:33 AM
    No I definately hear you on that. My co-workers will go in and update my facebook etc...so I'm sure its good to have or if I lost it or left it somewhere definately a good feature to utilize it.

I just set it a few mins ago, and so far its not a pain. And I do like how the notifications still display on the screen, as well as the LED.
    09-19-11 11:02 AM
    I use it with a very simple password and a looooong time out of 30 minutes. But I set the convenience key to activate it. That way when I'm in and out continually on my phone it won't automatically lock if I'm on a call or otherwise distracted. But if I get up from my desk or am putting the phone in my pocket, I hit the convenience key and boom, password lock.

I also set the number of "tries" to the maximum, so if my kids or accidentally in the pocket or in my case the phone perceives a number of wrong passwords entered, it won't go and wipe my device!

All backed up, so no biggie, but just to avoid the hassle.
    09-19-11 11:26 AM
    I didn't realise it wiped your device if entered wrong after the set amount of tries.

Just changed my from 5 to 10 as often when I've been drunk, I have entered it wrong 4 times and on my 5th go have had to really concentrate and get it right.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-11 12:21 PM
    I didn't know it would wipe your device either...I'm going to up mine from 5 as well.
    09-19-11 01:05 PM
    I too have a password and it's gotten to the point that it is just pure muscle memory for me to type it in.

On the issue of wiping your device, it requires you to entre "blackberry" on a number of occasion. I believe after the 5th attempt and then after the 9th...not sure but it isn't as simple as just punching in the wrong password 10 times
    09-19-11 01:55 PM
    I too have a password and it's gotten to the point that it is just pure muscle memory for me to type it in.

On the issue of wiping your device, it requires you to entre "blackberry" on a number of occasion. I believe after the 5th attempt and then after the 9th...not sure but it isn't as simple as just punching in the wrong password 10 times
    Nope, it really is just a matter of putting in the wrong password too many times and your phone gets wiped.

Check Here

"Important: If a password is incorrectly typed ten consecutive times, all data on the BlackBerry smartphone will automatically be deleted. This is a security feature."

Obviously to prevent a thief just trying and trying until finally cracking your password. If you are hyper security conscious you make 3 attempts or so. I fear the worst user-error scenario and make it the maximum!
    09-19-11 05:18 PM
    Obviously to prevent a thief just trying and trying until finally cracking your password. If you are hyper security conscious you make 3 attempts or so. I fear the worst user-error scenario and make it the maximum!
    I don't have a 9930, but what is the maximum number of attempts allowed?
    09-19-11 06:32 PM
    Nope, it really is just a matter of putting in the wrong password too many times and your phone gets wiped.

Check Here

"Important: If a password is incorrectly typed ten consecutive times, all data on the BlackBerry smartphone will automatically be deleted. This is a security feature."

On attempt number 6, and maybe 9 and 10 too, it will ask you to enter "blackberry" before entering your password. This is for when you accidentally have or don't have numlock on or something like that. After entering "blackberry" into the field it will then show what you're typing rather than the dots, or asterisks. Give it a try for yourself.

This is what cmackenzie was referring to...
    09-19-11 06:43 PM
    Just make sure someone else isn't trying to access it with the wrong password. I have seen that happen before and it was not a pretty site afterwards.
    09-19-11 06:47 PM
    On attempt number 6, and maybe 9 and 10 too, it will ask you to enter "blackberry" before entering your password. This is for when you accidentally have or don't have numlock on or something like that. After entering "blackberry" into the field it will then show what you're typing rather than the dots, or asterisks. Give it a try for yourself.

This is what cmackenzie was referring to...
    Aha, I see. I stand corrected then.

Thanks.
    09-20-11 05:47 AM
    I've been using the password for almost a day, and so far so good. Not really a pain to enter the password, and it a nice security feature. I'm now going to look into using the blackberry protect.
    09-20-11 07:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD