So ever since I saw the demo of the new 9900 I've been telling everyone about how awesome it is. Before even seeing one in person I got a few people to buy it.

2 weeks I went and saw one in the store and the next day ordered mine. Since then, 3 of my friends have received theirs.

We're all on Telus and we all simply upgraded our phones so its definitely not a network related issue for dropped calls.

Friend 1: constantly dropping calls

Friend 2: contsantly dropping calls

Friend 3: defective battery out of the box. Will not charge and simply shows a batter with an X and hour glass.

My device received today: defective battery out of the box. Will not charge and simply shows a batter with an X and hour glass.

All 4 devices made in mexico.

I've lost complete faith in RIM. I remember reading all the horror stories about the PB with dead pixels and bricked out of the box and all the returns and now the 9900. What happened...

I loved my 8830 and wanted to stay with BB but after this experience with I'm seriously considering changing. And the worst part is I don't even know who to go with. I hate the iphone and can't stand touch only devices. And I hear Androids are buggy.

I wanna throw this 9900 in the trash... weeks of waiting and what a massive let down.
    anon2100101 likes this.
    09-20-11 12:27 PM
    yes there are issues with the phone. when iphone 4 came out remember how many people complained about dropped calls? do you hear them complaining any more? No. things get better. If you hate it that much, sell your phone and pick something else up. it's very simple. you don't have to drive yourself nuts.
    09-20-11 12:38 PM
    Maybe you should be losing faith with your carrier? Just saying.... They should resolve what ever issue you and your friends are having ASAP

Defective batteries if that's what you say is separate from the device. So maybe another battery will work?

Why don't you take the device into the store and have them figure out what's going on.

What type of service area are you in. Have them check the location of where you all were when the calls were "Dropped"?

Gotta look at it from a technical end if you having signal issues.
    09-20-11 12:38 PM
    My 9900 is from Rogers, and its a solid device.
    Made in mexico as well, but absolutely flawless.
    Go to your nearest telus store, and get them to do something about it. That doesn't sound right at all

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Guatiao likes this.
    09-20-11 12:42 PM
    Rogers 9900 on AT&T, works beautifully.
    09-20-11 12:49 PM
    Vzw, made in mexico too. As close to perfection as I will ever need, and never expected. Take them all to the local carriers store and exchange for new. Should have been the first thing you did before you even started this thread.

Kelly Maxey likes this.
    09-20-11 12:54 PM
    First two friend issues don't sound like phone issues....
    09-20-11 01:07 PM
    I work for my carrier. We dont have any issues with dropped calls. I have access to netowrk issue and outage lists as well as known issues. The phones were migrated from other HSPA devices which means the random, all over the palce dropped calls are not network related since they never happened with the previous BBs they had(9700) running on the same network and frequency.

The prob is I can't just swap it at the store as its an internal employee process and they ship me the phone. So I actually have to ship it backa nd wait for the replacement.

The battery issue is apparently to do with the USB charging port. My buddy took his to the store yesterday and that's what they diagnosed. When using a known working battery, the device boots up. Strange part is that when we put that dead battery into a working device, it doesn't charge either, so I don't know how that makes it a charging port issue but thats what the repair center said at the store.

And it seems to me that people are either 100% satisfied or 100% unsatisfied with their 9900. I'm seeing alot of issues with this device and it's kidna sh*tty that it's a crap shoot on getting a good one or a defective one. Especially when I read stories of ppl changing it 3-4 times and getting a defective one each time with a enw and different problem.
    Last edited by TheMimic; 09-20-11 at 01:27 PM.
    09-20-11 01:24 PM
    This is also noted in the 9900 problems and solutions thread

8. Light bleeds from the bottom plate, at the USB connector or on the top lock button
    Cause: MADE IN Mexico 4/5 and most likely Telus Mobility unit

Solution: Return it asap and if you can find a phone that is NOT Mexico made, go for it!

-The optical pad is not raised or the top layers of the buttons are not raised
    -If you are on Telus Canada and the phone is Made in Mexico 4/5, spend at least an hour (LOL) looking for hardware defects at the store before you walk out.
    Seems like Telus got the worst batch of all. We're all on Telus.
    09-20-11 01:30 PM
    I wanna throw this 9900 in the trash....
    Boy! If I had a nickel for every time someone tossed this around... Sheesh-
    Don't try to force the love... Send me a PM, and I'll happily take the problem from your hands.
    09-20-11 02:40 PM
    If you hate it that much, sell your phone and pick something else up.
    Speaking of selling, how's your RIMM portfolio doing these days?
    CrackedBarry likes this.
    09-20-11 02:44 PM
    Well, I've NOT seen ANY of these issues so I'm calling BS on this post! Mine works FLAWLESSLY and I don't believe it's only because I'm on Verizon. BTW, mine was made in Mexico, so that blows the location of manufacure myth as well!
    09-20-11 02:48 PM
    Well, I've NOT seen ANY of these issues so I'm calling BS on this post! Mine works FLAWLESSLY and I don't believe it's only because I'm on Verizon. BTW, mine was made in Mexico, so that blows the location of manufacure myth as well!
    Ya, you caught the BS. I never received my 9900 and I just decided to randomly post negative stuff on the 9900 which I've been advocating for the last month and been dying to get my hands on...

I'm a big supporter of BB but you guys gotta chill out with this insanity of jumping at a persons throat who is expressing disatisfaction for a BB device. It's not my fault I received a defective device, it's not my carriers fault I received a defective device. you know who's fault it is? RIM for not making sure the device was working properly during QC. And if it were just 1 device fine, but 4 devices with issues not to mention the countless complaints on the forum. C;mon guys. I love BB just as much as the next CB member but you guys gotta admit that this is pretty sh*tty for us users who aren't getting the flawless devices people are raving about...
    kwalia71 and Chrisy like this.
    09-20-11 02:58 PM
    The worse a company is doing, the more rabid its fanboys react to criticism of that company.

I've never understood the fanboy mindset. I think it's pathological; it's certainly irrational.
    09-20-11 03:01 PM
    Go exchange it, enough said.
    09-20-11 03:04 PM
    Go exchange it, enough said.
    Never thought of that. Thanks!
    09-20-11 03:16 PM
    Can a mod please delete this thread. I've realized it's pointless to make mention of anything negative about RIM or BBs in general without getting chewed out by people who blindly defend and claim BS or don't bother reading replies.
    09-20-11 03:18 PM
    Mine is made in mexico and I haven't gotten dropped calls but My reception hasn't been as strong in certain areas compared to my Tour.

I think its just an unfortunate situation for you and ur friend on the battery situation. I tend to get my phones from a store so I can review that my device isn't faulty before I take it home. Yeah, you get the 14 day trial from most carriers but its more of a pain if you get a lemon right out of the box when its shipped to you.
    09-20-11 03:19 PM
    Can a mod please delete this thread. I've realized it's pointless to make mention of anything negative about RIM or BBs in general without getting chewed out by people who blindly defend and claim BS or don't bother reading replies.
    I disagree, I think these threads are great because they show how utterly insane many people are. I'd love to actually send some of these irrational fanboys to a psychiatrist to get them analyzed. It's fascinating to me, they're completely deluded. I wonder if they're that way in their daily functioning as well. Quite interesting in a disturbing way, they're like a psychological trainwreck that one can't look away from.

But as I realized, the market needs losers too. These guys are losers--irrationality doesn't win in the long-run.
    kirson likes this.
    09-20-11 03:23 PM
    Was watching this one! Sorry about your frustrations, OP. Hope you get it resolved. It's a hassle for sure.
    09-20-11 03:26 PM
    Negative comments are fine as long as they are deserved. You are allowed your opinion, as others are allowed theirs. There may indeed be quality control issues, and it sounds like you have a valid concern about your battery. Telus should give you a new one.

Any time you build millions of something, a certain percentage will not pass QA. They shouldn't make it to the market, but sometimes they do. ****, the Xbox 360 has a 54% failure rate!

My 9900 was made in Mexico 4, and I have no complaints whatsoever. It may have been a bad batch sent to Telus. I would recommend ignoring the fanboy sentiment (and I consider myself a fanboy, just a reasonable one. I'm also a Libra, so there's that whole balance thing... ) and getting a new battery from Telus.
    09-20-11 03:57 PM
    TheMimic,
    What devices are you and your friends coming from? Are they all CDMA BlackBerries?

I've found from my own personal experiences, that once I switched over to the HSPA network that I've been dropping more calls, and getting more sound distortions than on when I was previously on Telus' CDMA network.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-20-11 04:38 PM
    Well 2 of us with battery issues are running cdma. My buddy came off a 9700 and the last person I remember her having and hspa device but can't remember which. I know with my buddy on the 9700 he's dropped 5 times with me since he got the phone a week ago. I'll assume it may have something to do with his bluetooth integrated into his car(although I don't remember it ever happening with the 9700)

But the other girl is having major dropped calls. So let's chalk that up to bad area (and hers has a small light leak) But 2 defect batteries on 2 devices 1 day apart. That's just sh*tty luck! I hope it's just a series of unfortunate events that I was a witness to cuz I really want to use that 9900. The keyboard is perfect coupled with the touch screen, it truely is a perfect device for me.

Posted from my 8830 which I'm starting to like more and more... Lol

09-20-11 04:50 PM
    I honestly would have gone and just switched it out. Like you said yourself, you either love them or hate them. I had some hardware issues with my 9700 and now my mytouch4g and I called in and did warranty replacements each time. Longest I waited was 3 days and was at my doorstep. So it isn't like it would be the end of the world. Now if it keeps happening, then I can see more a frustration building up and having to vent.

I do hope you get it figured out, but it honestly sounds like a bad batch of batteries and phones were shipped to Telus.

Chrisy likes this.
    09-20-11 05:12 PM
    But 2 defect batteries on 2 devices 1 day apart. That's just sh*tty luck! I hope it's just a series of unfortunate events that I was a witness to cuz I really want to use that 9900.
    It sounds more like a problem with early build quality with a series of devices. You gotta figure that most of the phones they got were made in the same production run and shipped to the store. If they were from different places at different times, I would agree more about your bad luck..
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-20-11 05:40 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD