I would be expressing my frustrations with my carrier every 24 hrs if I had issues like yours until resolved.. Package everything up and go to the store, calmly explain issues you are having.

Unfortunately we can only trouble shoot some much online via the internets, but call them, go to the store and get something done about it.
    Guatiao likes this.
    09-20-11 06:56 PM
    I would be expressing my frustrations with my carrier every 24 hrs if I had issues like yours until resolved.. Package everything up and go to the store, calmly explain issues you are having.

Unfortunately we can only trouble shoot some much online via the internets, but call them, go to the store and get something done about it.
    Hey John, the OP makes it sound like they and their friends received their 9900's by ordering direct from Telus.

You would have no reason to know this, but the vast majority of Telus stores are franchises, licensees, etc. There are only a handful of corporate stores left.
    99.9% of the licensed stores would be 100% disinterested in helping if the OP showed up.

They can still deal with it through Telus, but taking it to a store would only work if it was pre-arranged.
    09-21-11 06:44 AM
    Well 2 of us with battery issues are running cdma. My buddy came off a 9700 and the last person I remember her having and hspa device but can't remember which. I know with my buddy on the 9700 he's dropped 5 times with me since he got the phone a week ago. I'll assume it may have something to do with his bluetooth integrated into his car(although I don't remember it ever happening with the 9700)

But the other girl is having major dropped calls. So let's chalk that up to bad area (and hers has a small light leak) But 2 defect batteries on 2 devices 1 day apart. That's just sh*tty luck! I hope it's just a series of unfortunate events that I was a witness to cuz I really want to use that 9900. The keyboard is perfect coupled with the touch screen, it truely is a perfect device for me.
    Hi there, just wondering where you're located? Are all 4 of you in the same area?

Telus' HSPA network is completely different from their CDMA. They are 2 100% separate networks. So it is entirely possible that there are dead spots you didn't ever experience before with a 8830, 9630, etc.
    There are 2-3 spots in Vancouver where I've frequently dropped calls on my 9700 & 9800, but had no previous problems.

If you determine that any spot is repeatedly dropping calls, please report it to Telus DNA (Data Network Assistance) at 1-866-771-7292. Be insistent that you want them to start a service ticket so the call centre lackey you've got on the phone will actually get the info to a qualified local Telus technician.

As for your general issues & dissatisfaction, do yourself a big favour and call Telus Mobility Loyalty: 1-800-463-3919.

The Loyalty rep will ensure your issues are resolved and you can ask them what they can do for you with your plan. You'll end up with a much better plan than you started with. There are some features & pricing that only Loyalty can access.
    Also ask them for a credit for all the time you've spent dealing with this.

Btw if any of you have your BB's on a work account, there are different numbers to call.
    bigbamboo and chiefbroski like this.
    09-21-11 07:05 AM

We're all on Telus and we all simply upgraded our phones so its definitely not a network related issue for dropped calls.

All 4 devices made in mexico.
    Sounds like its a network problem. Maybe Telus doent agree with BB for some reason.

I had a girlfriend made in Mexico. She was built fine.
    09-21-11 08:05 AM
    Hi there, just wondering where you're located? Are all 4 of you in the same area?

Telus' HSPA network is completely different from their CDMA. They are 2 100% separate networks. So it is entirely possible that there are dead spots you didn't ever experience before with a 8830, 9630, etc.
    There are 2-3 spots in Vancouver where I've frequently dropped calls on my 9700 & 9800, but had no previous problems.

If you determine that any spot is repeatedly dropping calls, please report it to Telus DNA (Data Network Assistance) at 1-866-771-7292. Be insistent that you want them to start a service ticket so the call centre lackey you've got on the phone will actually get the info to a qualified local Telus technician.

As for your general issues & dissatisfaction, do yourself a big favour and call Telus Mobility Loyalty: 1-800-463-3919.

The Loyalty rep will ensure your issues are resolved and you can ask them what they can do for you with your plan. You'll end up with a much better plan than you started with. There are some features & pricing that only Loyalty can access.
    Also ask them for a credit for all the time you've spent dealing with this.

Btw if any of you have your BB's on a work account, there are different numbers to call.
    I used to work for PSS/IMT(DNA for corp clients) and i'm well versed in the network and it's support process. I'm aware of network spots that can be troublesome but this isn't a network issue. It's not happening in the same area. It's random.

I have the ambassador plan for employees. I work for Telus. Loyalty can't do anything for me. I have to wait for the ambassador guys to email me back with a shipping slip to return the original and wait for a new one. The store won't replace it.
    09-21-11 09:09 AM
    Just got an email. 3-5 business days to receive the replacement. Crossing my fingers hoping I get a good one.
    09-21-11 04:03 PM
    Good luck! And, btw, it's very brave to admit you're a Telus employee here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-11 05:39 PM
    I used to work for PSS/IMT(DNA for corp clients) and i'm well versed in the network and it's support process. I'm aware of network spots that can be troublesome but this isn't a network issue. It's not happening in the same area. It's random.

I have the ambassador plan for employees. I work for Telus. Loyalty can't do anything for me. I have to wait for the ambassador guys to email me back with a shipping slip to return the original and wait for a new one. The store won't replace it.
    Oh okay.

I deal with SMB and SMB's DNA myself.
    (For others, that's Telus' Small-Medium Business department, and SMB's Data Network Assistance.)

It's great for me. We get the hardware from a 3rd party dealer. They deliver it to us. Before they come, I'll usually call and tell them about any known flaws with the device(s) in question. I make our rep unbox and inspect them before he brings them.
    09-21-11 06:58 PM
    The quality of RIM devices really started to decline about 3-4 years ago, very disappointing. I remember deploying about 10 Storms when they came out, all of them were RMAed within 6 months. I am not impressed with the 9930 at all, our BES server is a barren wasteland now, everyone has moved on to iPhones and Androids.
    09-21-11 07:21 PM
    So ever since I saw the demo of the new 9900 I've been telling everyone about how awesome it is. Before even seeing one in person I got a few people to buy it.

2 weeks I went and saw one in the store and the next day ordered mine. Since then, 3 of my friends have received theirs.

We're all on Telus and we all simply upgraded our phones so its definitely not a network related issue for dropped calls.

Friend 1: constantly dropping calls

Friend 2: contsantly dropping calls

Friend 3: defective battery out of the box. Will not charge and simply shows a batter with an X and hour glass.

My device received today: defective battery out of the box. Will not charge and simply shows a batter with an X and hour glass.

I've lost complete faith in RIM. I remember reading all the horror stories about the PB with dead pixels and bricked out of the box and all the returns and now the 9900. What happened...

I loved my 8830 and wanted to stay with BB but after this experience with I'm seriously considering changing. And the worst part is I don't even know who to go with. I hate the iphone and can't stand touch only devices. And I hear Androids are buggy.

I wanna throw this 9900 in the trash... weeks of waiting and what a massive let down.
    I had 2 similar issues with a Samsung Fascinate and a Droid Incredible 2. Both devices I had four of them until I received on that worked. Business is changing and cost cutting is effecting the finished product. Until companys realize this what you went thru will continue.

09-21-11 07:34 PM
    What concerns me is that with all these defective devices, are they still making more money cheaply fabricating them and not doing proper QC so we don't have to swap them instead of spening a bit more and having less returns?

Who absorbs the cost of these defective devices? The plant that makes them? For example all those countless PBs that had dead pixels or bricked out the box. What happens to them and if they are stripped and rebuilt with same components, who pays for that?

09-21-11 11:02 PM
    These new Mexico factories seem to be doing a crappy job of QC..A lot of reports on defective units..
    09-21-11 11:33 PM
    I always find it funny when people talk about how awesome calls sound on Blackberries, and how much worse the voice quality is on other handsets.

Its really amazing what your imagination will make you believe you think you heard, but in reality: 1: RIM uses the exact same ICs and radio's as their competition.

2: We're talking about digital technology here, it either works or it doesn't. There is no magic sauce that can make the same chip sound much better in a Blackberry phone than in an iPhone.

I'll bet you that the people who claim that BBs just have "way better voice quality" are the same people who'd pay several hundred dollars for a digital HDMI cable because it "sounds better" or "has a better picture" even though its technically nonsense.
    09-22-11 12:01 AM
    I always find it funny when people talk about how awesome calls sound on Blackberries, and how much worse the voice quality is on other handsets.

Its really amazing what your imagination will make you believe you think you heard, but in reality: 1: RIM uses the exact same ICs and radio's as their competition.

2: We're talking about digital technology here, it either works or it doesn't. There is no magic sauce that can make the same chip sound much better in a Blackberry phone than in an iPhone.

I'll bet you that the people who claim that BBs just have "way better voice quality" are the same people who'd pay several hundred dollars for a digital HDMI cable because it "sounds better" or "has a better picture" even though its technically nonsense.
    Have to disagree here for radio, i have an htc sensation and a torch 9810. Both are on Vodafone. I have a low reception in my office cabin. I have held both phones side by side. HTC Sensation: -101 dbm, Torch: -82 dbm. I have also experienced this earlier with a samsung galaxy s.
    09-22-11 02:00 AM
    So ever since I saw the demo of the new 9900 I've been telling everyone about how awesome it is. Before even seeing one in person I got a few people to buy it.

2 weeks I went and saw one in the store and the next day ordered mine. Since then, 3 of my friends have received theirs.

Friend 1: constantly dropping calls

Friend 2: contsantly dropping calls

Friend 3: defective battery out of the box. Will not charge and simply shows a batter with an X and hour glass.

My device received today: defective battery out of the box. Will not charge and simply shows a batter with an X and hour glass.

I've lost complete faith in RIM. I remember reading all the horror stories about the PB with dead pixels and bricked out of the box and all the returns and now the 9900. What happened...

I loved my 8830 and wanted to stay with BB but after this experience with I'm seriously considering changing. And the worst part is I don't even know who to go with. I hate the iphone and can't stand touch only devices. And I hear Androids are buggy.

I wanna throw this 9900 in the trash... weeks of waiting and what a massive let down.
    I really understand your feelings- I could puke the hole day when I recognize what technics (resp. the producers) do with us (the consumer): cause the producers are in competition with each other, they feel forced to release new products as fast as possible. The beta-Testers are the consumers! WE are demoted to purchase the ballyhooed products AND to test them in real life... I�m pissed of by this fact! Technics has only ONE permit to excist: it has to work smoothly! Otherwise technics is only a burden....
    You purchase a expensive car, a beloved smartphone or whatever- YOU have to bear (and manage) the so called growing pains...

Of course you will manage your problems and you will get al lot of words of advice, but the anger is still there and cant be paid...

There are lot of situations in life, where technics deny oneself and is just annoying: not working door release control, cashpoints, release vending machines, master meter.... erverywhere I�m forced to discuss with a chip which has the intelligence of a bucket of steam- but it dominates me (in this moment)... F**k you!

An after all this you have to state, that your beloved BlackBerry isnt working perfectly would make me to go berserk....

I understand your feelings....
    09-22-11 03:32 AM
    Hater's hate...
    09-22-11 08:48 AM
    What I find most disturbing is the willingness of RIM to push out half baked devices and software. Even with all the defective hardware they ship, I find their software even worse.
    09-22-11 12:18 PM
    What I find most disturbing is the willingness of RIM to push out half baked devices and software. Even with all the defective hardware they ship, I find their software even worse.

I don't have any major issues with my 9930 at all. You have to remember blackberry is a different animal than android or apple. Yes the others are faster and do more but BB has its own areas of specialty. I switched from android and yes lost some things but gained what I needed.

My issues is that RIM hasn't been to forward with information about current and future devices.
    09-22-11 12:30 PM
    I agree with you somewhat.
    I have a 1st-gen Torch 9800 with OS6 (obviously).
    The lagging/hourglassing is really unacceptable IMO. I shouldn't need a reboot every 24-72 hrs for my smartphone to stay smart.
    Their firmware testing is either non-existent or incompetent.

I own a business, and I'm very hands-on. If my team repeatedly produced unsatisfactory results� well, they wouldn't be on my team very long.

Apparently the firmware for new OS7 devices is far more solid. And RIM has purchased & assimilated other companies like QNX and TAT. The next generation of BB starting early-mid 2012 is expected to be great. (We'll see.)
    But to me, that signals big improvements. Unfortunately they can't wave a magic wand in Waterloo for all BB's everywhere to have their issues vanish. There's a process involved, and it appears from the outside that RIM has started that process already.

Just a sidenote, but your profile says you have a 1st-gen Storm 9530. Maybe you just haven't updated your profile, but if you still do have & use a 9530 you're not in much of a position to judge the current BB devices. You have a device known to be especially problematic. It was RIM's first attempt at touchscreens, but more importantly it's from 3 or 4 generations ago. It's got no RAM and a sub-par processor compared to today's BB's.

That doesn't make your opinions wrong. You just might be reaching your conclusions based on incomplete facts.
    09-22-11 01:20 PM
    And let's not forget that RIM isn't the only comapny in this market with QC issues. How about those iPhone 4's that wouldn't hold a signal if you touched them wrong?

Oops. The mighty Apple has the same problems as RIM, yet plenty of people still buy iProducts.

09-22-11 01:37 PM
    Its your carrier.

09-22-11 01:40 PM
    Its your carrier.
    What is?
    Not sure exactly to what you're referring.
    09-22-11 01:45 PM
    I agree with you somewhat.
    I have a 1st-gen Torch 9800 with OS6 (obviously).
    The lagging/hourglassing is really unacceptable IMO. I shouldn't need a reboot every 24-72 hrs for my smartphone to stay smart.
    Their firmware testing is either non-existent or incompetent.

I own a business, and I'm very hands-on. If my team repeatedly produced unsatisfactory results� well, they wouldn't be on my team very long.

Apparently the firmware for new OS7 devices is far more solid. And RIM has purchased & assimilated other companies like QNX and TAT. The next generation of BB starting early-mid 2012 is expected to be great. (We'll see.)
    But to me, that signals big improvements. Unfortunately they can't wave a magic wand in Waterloo for all BB's everywhere to have their issues vanish. There's a process involved, and it appears from the outside that RIM has started that process already.

Just a sidenote, but your profile says you have a 1st-gen Storm 9530. Maybe you just haven't updated your profile, but if you still do have & use a 9530 you're not in much of a position to judge the current BB devices. You have a device known to be especially problematic. It was RIM's first attempt at touchscreens, but more importantly it's from 3 or 4 generations ago. It's got no RAM and a sub-par processor compared to today's BB's.

That doesn't make your opinions wrong. You just might be reaching your conclusions based on incomplete facts.
    I ditched the Storm a while ago, I just dropped by the site because I was troubleshooting some issues with a new 9930. I have owned and worked with many Blackberries, and our BES environment is almost an abandoned ghost town at this point. There are just too many far more capable and reliable devices out there, it is a shame, I was a big BB fan...
    09-22-11 04:46 PM
    I ditched the Storm a while ago, I just dropped by the site because I was troubleshooting some issues with a new 9930. I have owned and worked with many Blackberries, and our BES environment is almost an abandoned ghost town at this point. There are just too many far more capable and reliable devices out there, it is a shame, I was a big BB fan...
    Okay thanks. That makes your perspective a lot more relevant then.

I'm sticking to BB for the time being. I very sincerely hope they patch up their holes very, very quickly.
    09-23-11 09:22 PM
    Just got an internal email stating a batch was sent out with defective batteries and now the stores will handle the battery replacement. Looks like I'll have my 9900 up and running by end of day!
    rrrebo likes this.
    09-26-11 10:47 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD