Hi!

I'm kinda new to the Blackberry scene, just got my shiny new Bold 9900. I've learned that I need to pay for a specific BB-plan for me to be able to use Facebook, Twitter, etc. I live in Hungary and here the biggest BB Internet Service plan is 150MB. I should've known that this isn't enough for me, and my bad, just got a text that I've got a HUGE bill because of trespassing the 150 MBs..

I have a 1GB, normal mobile data plan, which I use for normal browsing.. my question is that does the stock BB Browser use the BIS-service, or it doesn't need a BB data plan at all? Because if so, I plan on cancelling this BB data plan and sticking with the normal, mobile data plan to avoid charges like these.

Thanks,
    Bruno
    01-12-12 10:43 AM
    The browser uses BIS, but if you download opera mini, that can use your 1GB allowance if you set it up correctly.
    01-12-12 11:17 AM
    The browser uses BIS, but if you download opera mini, that can use your 1GB allowance if you set it up correctly.
    What do I have to set up exactly, and how? The Protocol?
    01-12-12 11:24 AM
    Hi!

I'm kinda new to the Blackberry scene, just got my shiny new Bold 9900. I've learned that I need to pay for a specific BB-plan for me to be able to use Facebook, Twitter, etc. I live in Hungary and here the biggest BB Internet Service plan is 150MB. I should've known that this isn't enough for me, and my bad, just got a text that I've got a HUGE bill because of trespassing the 150 MBs..

I have a 1GB, normal mobile data plan, which I use for normal browsing.. my question is that does the stock BB Browser use the BIS-service, or it doesn't need a BB data plan at all? Because if so, I plan on cancelling this BB data plan and sticking with the normal, mobile data plan to avoid charges like these.

Thanks,
    Bruno
    The best thing would be to contact you phone network and ask them to explain you their data plans. Here in Serbia (Telenor), my network counts regular data included in the plan when using BIS, except the fact that I'm getting additional 30MB with the BIS service (not to confuse you, this was primarily intended for users without any data plan). If you are using WiFi, BIS goes thru WiFi. So, in both cases, no additional costs, no matter if your internet traffic is BIS or not. So, I guess, you were spending MB's above your limit. Hope I was helpful.

P.S. Same thing with BES.
    Last edited by Bratza; 01-12-12 at 11:40 AM.
    01-12-12 11:36 AM
    The best thing would be to contact you phone network and ask them to explain you their data plans. Here in Serbia (Telenor), my network counts regular data included in the plan when using BIS, except the fact that I'm getting additional 30MB with the BIS service (not to confuse you, this was primarily intended for users without any data plan). If you are using WiFi, BIS goes thru WiFi. So, in both cases, no additional costs, no matter if your internet traffic is BIS or not. So, I guess, you were spending MB's above your limit. Hope I was helpful.

P.S. Same thing with BES.
    Yep, I understand your point, but here Telenor counts the BIS-rates and the mobile data rates as different plans. So if I use BIS with Facebook, Twitter, etc. it counts as the BIS-plan, which is 150 MB. If I just use the Browser to surf the web, it counts as the mobile data, which is 1GB. Kind of confusing, that's why I wanna know how to use this BIS-data (150MB) as less times as possible.
    01-12-12 11:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD