Want to test a theory, but have a couple questions for the forum first.

Have recently installed 2.1.0.250 which after a couple of days of "settling" (OS battery calibration), I'm getting completely acceptable battery life (based on my usage, ~50% remaining after 24 hrs) and renewed faith in my recent purchase. But more is always better, so...

Been running the Device Analyser for a couple days to monitor battery life and have noticed that the BB Browser daemon (net_rim_bb_browser_daemon) is at the top of the list of modules with the highest CPU time over the 24hr period. What I'm trying to figure out is:

1) what does the daemon do & is this separate from the main browser itself - is it running in memory 24x7 to speed up the launch of the browser when clicking hyperlinks, choosing media, etc?

2) if I uninstalled this module, does anyone know if i would still be able to use the browser "on demand"?

Been using Opera mini on my 9900 and it is absolutely fantastic! Completely different/better experience than when running it on my old 9700 and IMO a better browsing experience than the BB browser.

So basically what I'm considering testing out is stripping out the browser daemon or the whole BB browser itself, go Opera mini for a while and see if that helps further extend battery life. Any process that is always running regardless of whether or not you are actually interacting with it / need it is going to use CPU and hence precious battery. Opera only uses CPU when you run it.

Appreciate any points of view. Main worry is can I strip out the daemon and/or the main browser cods and still have the media player and downloader which seem integrated with the browser which I will still need as Opera doesn't do these things.

Thanks!
    01-22-12 04:56 AM
    I dont think it would work. I believe OM is just an interface to the phones browser.

I know if you delete the browser and try to run OM instead it wont work.
    01-22-12 01:31 PM
    I've been running Device Analyzer as well monitoring my battery. I too, run about 50% after 24hrs, quite acceptable even compared to my awesome 9780's life. Concerning the OP's theory of the browser daemon, I believe it's connected to more than just running the browser app. I use the wifi hotspot option in 7.1 on occasion, and I've noticed the battery drain. What I didn't realize is that the cpu usage is high while using the hotspot. Checking Device Analyzer for the hour I was using wifi hotspot, the same browser daemon was the culprit, so it definitely has ties to other data operations in the OS.
    01-22-12 01:47 PM
    im using the 9810, and i'm quite concerned with battery consumption as well. if i go to applications management on my device, the browser uses the most memory and the mem usage increases as the time i spend on my browser increases. as i went into detail i found out the culprit was net_rim_bb_browser_daemon im not sure if it has anything to do with power consumption but isn't there any way to recover that lost memory? it never seems to go away unless i do a battery pull
    02-01-12 10:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD