okay, one thought / question here.
    First of all, i am on verizon using the Droid X. I've waited for the bold 9930 to release for a long time, but closer and closer i found out that it was going to be only on 3g while most phone are being released with 4g now. i passed on buying the 9930 because of this reason. I can live without the google maps, 4.3 in screen, customization, apps, etc, but not having 4g support kind of bothers me.

I just want to know how everyone who currently own the phone think about this.
    let me know. thanks.
    10-01-11 03:38 AM
    There's nothing much to say on this issue actually. If you cannot live without the 4G speed then this is not the phone for you. I don't do much on my phone that requires really fast connection, so it doesn't really bother me. It's up to you to decide.
    10-01-11 04:39 AM
    On CDMA yes it is 3G. On GSM the 9900 is HSPA+ I believe, which is sort of 4G.

The new iPhone is also rumored to be HSPA+ on GSM networks. So whatever RIM's reasons for lagging it appears Apple agrees for now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-01-11 05:00 AM
    What kind an app on a BB would need 4G speed? Youtube would take most of the data no doubt but the video you would stream on it is so low res even normal 3G would run without buffering.

Even the 4G that you get on your Android is not close the original specs of what true 4G is, it's all marketing drivel.
    10-01-11 07:29 AM
    I feel 4g is overrated and a battery killer! I have no issues with my 3g plus I get wifi almost everywhere I go. I guess for some its needed but can never see a need for it!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-01-11 08:45 AM
    There is no 4g phone in existence. The bold does do 14.4 megabits per second though which is faster than my wifi at home. You really need more than that? What the heck are you streaming? With 6 megabits at home I stream HD movies off netflix no problem. Are you trying to stream more than three movies on your phone at once?
    10-01-11 10:01 AM
    I agree .. My HSPA+ is faster than my home WiFi by a large margin .. And I can stream High Def on my WiFi easily
    There is no 4g phone in existence. The bold does do 14.4 megabits per second though which is faster than my wifi at home. You really need more than that? What the heck are you streaming? With 6 megabits at home I stream HD movies off netflix no problem. Are you trying to stream more than three movies on your phone at once?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-11 10:20 AM
    I used to install cell boosters in the oil patch, and just wanted to share a few thoughts on this. Althought the capability of a phone will limit the download speed, the actual limit is currently being set by the individual towers. Towers only have a cetain bandwidth to offer, and that gets shared by all of the phones in the towers service area. Some towers have multiple servers for different quadrants of the tower, for instance you may only have to share bandwidth with phones in the north west quadrant. This is the bottleneck at the moment. Even though my 9900 is capable of 14.4 Mbps, I usually only get about 1.5 in my home area and about 2.0 in the closest town. The Blackberry's and iPhones are only going to be slower when the towers get upgraded to massive amounts of bandwidth to surpass 14.4 Mbps per each device.... we're a long way from that unfortunately.
    True 4G is an exciting proposition, and at the right $$$ will revolutionize the internet.
    10-01-11 11:31 AM
    Well here it is Oct 2011, and still no AT&T 9900. I don't want a 99xx 3-G Bold phone from any of the USA competitors. I want a phone CAPABLE of using 4-G when it is up and running in my area [Tampa Bay]. H+ is Ok for me at the present. I don't want an unlocked phone from a Canadian company that will not be fully functional with AT&T service.

AT&T admin SUCKS and their decision also SUCKS for not releaseing this phone.

AT&T, your business users /customers want and need this phone---make the FRIGGIN phone available---NOW!!!!!!!!!!

AT&T = UNPROFESSIONAL & UNTRAINED management, plain and simple.

JMO
    10-01-11 11:59 AM
    4G is a battery drain... Im on Rogers and have there theres no 3G option on my phone... since theres wifi wherever i go i usually keep it on 2G and then wifi. But if there were an 3G only option id kiss someone from RIM.
    10-01-11 12:37 PM
    got some great replies. thanks everyone. i think i'm at the same point where 4g won't be too much of an issue so i think i'll be switching too. i don't really see 4g running great any time soon, and if 4g drains battery that much, i think i can live without it.
    10-02-11 01:22 PM
    4g is pretty worthless. Before I moved I had the Thunderbolt and the Charge and 4g speeds there were great but there was nothing that I could on 4g that I can't still on on 3g. I can stream netflix on both (which was probably the most data intensive thing). After moving, the 3g speeds and 4g speeds were about the same and 3g may even have been faster. 4g drains battery and doesn't really provide any better service atm. Sure I can load some page faster but at the expensive of battery (and quite a bit of it)? I rather have the battery life as I usually message more than i browse on my phone.
    10-02-11 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD