With that bird constantly crowing in the background and the train rumbling by I thought I was on the set of Slumdog Millionaire.
    The location does not look very far from mumbai slums.
    07-21-11 11:55 AM
    Glass on mobile device is not ideal, it's heavy and fragile. Capacitive touch screens can be made of plastic (see Palm Pre).

Even Apple put a plastic screen on the Mac Book Air, the model that doesn't compromise on mobility.

Anyway, the 9900 looks good. Now waiting to see what kind of battery life is offered. RIM released the Torch with miserable battery life so it wouldn't be below them to do it again.
    Do you own a Palm Pre? I own a Palm Pre Plus, and I find the plastic screen aggravating. When i first got the phone, the screen was beautiful and the whole phone together felt very urbane and pure. The phone was lightweight, gave off a nice reflective shine, and just felt as a part of your hand.

Fast forward 15 months later, the only way i describe this phone's hardware is cheap disaster that I don't believe can hold up any longer (and I treat this phone like a fricken baby, and my sister treats her 14month old iphone 3gs like doo-doo and it still is doing well, I even look at my parent's iphone 4 with envy of how well-constructed and solid it is). I'm not alone on it either, because a short look through google and bing searches you will fine "palm pre scratch prone" "palm pre wobbles" "palm pre headphone jack stuck" "palm pre chipping" and etc)

The Palm Pre was completely plastic, and ironically it received some of the most criticism in the smartphone market due to durability. Palm realized they screwed up, and with each revision they added more and more of the standard and higher quality materials. The Palm Pre plus added the rubber backing, the Palm Pre 2 made the switch from a plastic screen to a gorilla glass as customers requested, and has matte edges. The HP Pre3 I believe is finally completing the full transition from cheap glossy spray-painted plastic (ok...dyed plastic) into rubber and matte-like phone.

If the only smartphone maker to go full on plastic began to turn away from it on their way to bankruptcy, we can clearly see this is not a path for RIM to go down. I for one will not be buying another Pre because i don't trust Palm or HP (they told me it would cost $200!? to fix the headphone jack stuck issue that they knew was a hardware defect that they didn't bother to fix. A quick google search will show this issue plagued palm phones since the Treo 680 days of 2006), and I will be staying away from cheap lightweight plastic phones as well (I even tried a Samsung focus for not even a week because i was afraid of d�j� vu ; the screen was gorilla glass, but the rest of the phone was just cheap lightweight plastic imitating metal) The main attraction of the BB9930 and Iphone 4s/5 for me is the high-quality materials. The stainless steel is a major driving factor for me, and I hope that there is a gorilla glass screen too. Plastic screens just seem to scratch from anything that possibly touches it.
    tliolos likes this.
    07-21-11 01:09 PM
    The phone looks very impressive, no doubt, but lets think for a minute here. You're comparing a brand new phone (9900) to a very old phone (iPhone 4), which came out over a year ago.

The 9900 and iPhone 5 will probably be coming out around the same time frame and the 9900 is on par with the iPhone 4. So what does that mean? Apple's A5 chip is probably going to dust the 9900.

I'm not trying to be a downer, because I'm getting the 9900 myself, I'm just saying. BlackBerry finally made a 'modern' phone and it looks good, except it's about a year too late.
    07-21-11 01:42 PM
    The phone looks very impressive, no doubt, but lets think for a minute here. You're comparing a brand new phone (9900) to a very old phone (iPhone 4), which came out over a year ago.

The 9900 and iPhone 5 will probably be coming out around the same time frame and the 9900 is on par with the iPhone 4. So what does that mean? Apple's A5 chip is probably going to dust the 9900.

I'm not trying to be a downer, because I'm getting the 9900 myself, I'm just saying. BlackBerry finally made a 'modern' phone and it looks good, except it's about a year too late.
    The point here is that 9900 matches iPhone 4 and nobody expected that, no doubt iPhone has the best browsing with each of it's iteration and only that BB was always criticized for having a crappy web browser. Now that it matches iPhone 4 it is a incredible news for the BB faithful and those of who had left to the dark side and waiting to coming back for a BB device which is on par with the competition, as along as the experience is better and acceptable no body cares if iPhone or Android wins in the browser speed test.
    07-21-11 01:52 PM
    The point here is that 9900 matches iPhone 4 and nobody expected that, no doubt iPhone has the best browsing with each of it's iteration and only that BB was always criticized for having a crappy web browser. Now that it matches iPhone 4 it is a incredible news for the BB faithful and those of who had left to the dark side and waiting to coming back for a BB device which is on par with the competition, as along as the experience is better and acceptable no body cares if iPhone or Android wins in the browser speed test.
    I'm a BlackBerry user, so believe me, I know what you're saying. All I'm saying is, the phone (even though it's great and a HUGE step forward) is still seriously behind.
    07-21-11 01:59 PM
    I'm a BlackBerry user, so believe me, I know what you're saying. All I'm saying is, the phone (even though it's great and a HUGE step forward) is still seriously behind.
    Couldn't agree with you more
    07-21-11 02:03 PM
    Do you own a Palm Pre? I own a Palm Pre Plus, and I find the plastic screen aggravating. When i first got the phone, the screen was beautiful and the whole phone together felt very urbane and pure. The phone was lightweight, gave off a nice reflective shine, and just felt as a part of your hand.

Fast forward 15 months later, the only way i describe this phone's hardware is cheap disaster that I don't believe can hold up any longer (and I treat this phone like a fricken baby, and my sister treats her 14month old iphone 3gs like doo-doo and it still is doing well, I even look at my parent's iphone 4 with envy of how well-constructed and solid it is). I'm not alone on it either, because a short look through google and bing searches you will fine "palm pre scratch prone" "palm pre wobbles" "palm pre headphone jack stuck" "palm pre chipping" and etc)

The Palm Pre was completely plastic, and ironically it received some of the most criticism in the smartphone market due to durability. Palm realized they screwed up, and with each revision they added more and more of the standard and higher quality materials. The Palm Pre plus added the rubber backing, the Palm Pre 2 made the switch from a plastic screen to a gorilla glass as customers requested, and has matte edges. The HP Pre3 I believe is finally completing the full transition from cheap glossy spray-painted plastic (ok...dyed plastic) into rubber and matte-like phone.

If the only smartphone maker to go full on plastic began to turn away from it on their way to bankruptcy, we can clearly see this is not a path for RIM to go down. I for one will not be buying another Pre because i don't trust Palm or HP (they told me it would cost $200!? to fix the headphone jack stuck issue that they knew was a hardware defect that they didn't bother to fix. A quick google search will show this issue plagued palm phones since the Treo 680 days of 2006), and I will be staying away from cheap lightweight plastic phones as well (I even tried a Samsung focus for not even a week because i was afraid of d�j� vu ; the screen was gorilla glass, but the rest of the phone was just cheap lightweight plastic imitating metal) The main attraction of the BB9930 and Iphone 4s/5 for me is the high-quality materials. The stainless steel is a major driving factor for me, and I hope that there is a gorilla glass screen too. Plastic screens just seem to scratch from anything that possibly touches it.
    Yes, I had a Pre and it was junk. The screen was fine and I had a clear film on it. The body itself was badly constructed, I replaced 7 of them.

Your finger can't tell if you're tapping on glass or plastic. It's all in your head.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-11 03:14 PM
    Can you please take snaps of the phones menu in OS 7? I WOULD LOVE THAT! Thanks in advance!
    07-21-11 03:41 PM
    Thanks for this info! I thought the video taking capability looked pretty good.
    07-21-11 03:45 PM
    Yes, I had a Pre and it was junk. The screen was fine and I had a clear film on it. The body itself was badly constructed, I replaced 7 of them.

Your finger can't tell if you're tapping on glass or plastic. It's all in your head.

Actually using the Storm/Torch vs Bold 9650 for example I think you can tell. But it would deceive most people with the plastics they're using these days like on the Palm.

But it doesn't take away from the fact that plastic isn't nearly as durable as glass. No question. I would take glass any day hands down.

If you prefer plastic I say check out the Curve 9350/9360 upon release.

sivan likes this.
    07-21-11 03:47 PM
    reports about battery life

please!!!
    07-21-11 04:05 PM
    Cant wait to get one
    !!!!
    07-21-11 04:15 PM
    In 2007, I left BB for the iPhone and am now with Android, but can't wait to get back on the BB team when the 9930 is released.
    07-21-11 04:40 PM
    In what way(s)?
    07-21-11 04:46 PM
    Man that screen is crazy sharp...
    07-21-11 05:35 PM
    in what ways? it has all it needs to be a killer device, OS optimized for keyboard and small screen, best keyboard, great display, decent processor, NFC, nice browser, has most of the productivity apps that other platforms has, MS office capable suite, killer voice quality and lastly a great looking phone with a good build quality. What does it take more than more than this to be a decent phone. Mark my words 9900 will be one of the best selling device of 2011 and it may even revive RIM's fortunes
    bdad14 likes this.
    07-21-11 05:51 PM

How so?? Just because it doesn't have Angry Birds doesn't mean it's behind.
    07-21-11 07:57 PM
    Thanks for the video. OS looks really snappy. Can't wait till it gets to T-mobile.
    07-21-11 09:20 PM
    Special thanks for all the info i got here in this thread. My only question is it on 9900 two speakers like on 9000 or one ???
    OP please check it out, thx in advance
    07-21-11 10:41 PM
    lets see...we have dual core processors now, rim doesnt plan to have this until qnx, which will be about a yr from now. 5 mp cam with 720p video recording, current phones being released are 1080p and 8mp cams. ff cams...not that that is a deal breaker for me. 4g phones, while bb is still on 3g. and the worst part about it is, THE NEW BB PHONES AREN'T EVEN OUT YET!!!!

hope that answers your question. that being said though, im still planning on getting the 9900. i hate my iphone.
    What don't you like about the iphone?

07-21-11 11:18 PM
    What don't you like about the iphone?

Why does it matter? He can like/dislike whatever he wants, just like anyone else. Your question wont change that

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    07-22-11 02:07 AM
    Why does it matter? He can like/dislike whatever he wants, just like anyone else. Your question wont change that

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    No need to be a ******, no one was even talking to you, I asked my question because I might want the new iphone and wanted to know what problems a user of an iphone was having.... Mind your business before you open your mouth and talk negative

07-22-11 08:02 AM
    Special thanks for all the info i got here in this thread. My only question is it on 9900 two speakers like on 9000 or one ???
    OP please check it out, thx in advance
    it's been stated numerous times that there is only one speaker sadly (almost exactly what the RIM employee said when CrackBerry Kevin(if i recall correctly) asked in a video a while ago) But I know there is only 1 for sure :/
    07-22-11 08:45 AM
    No need to be a ******, no one was even talking to you, I asked my question because I might want the new iphone and wanted to know what problems a user of an iphone was having.... Mind your business before you open your mouth and talk negative

It's a public forum, I can say what I want but I wasn't talking negative, I was trying to point out that someone elses reasons for liking/dislikig a phone (especially a random stranger) aren't likely to help you find out what you like and what you want. I certainly wasn't trying to be whatever ***** word you accused me of being, and looking back at my post I still don't understand what upset you.

07-22-11 11:37 AM
    it's been stated numerous times that there is only one speaker sadly (almost exactly what the RIM employee said when CrackBerry Kevin(if i recall correctly) asked in a video a while ago) But I know there is only 1 for sure :/
    Thx flip4life, i was pretty sure that this was stated before, but sometimes its easier to ask then search, even though search is your best friend
    07-22-11 12:16 PM
139 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD