Anyone with a 9900 know a good app to automatically turn on and off the wifi? I am noticing the battery usage will be something I
    need to manage. While at home and at work I want to use wifi (works great). but I dont want to remember to turn the wifi on and off. Any good apps for the9900 and 7.0 to activate and de-activate the wifi?
    11-08-11 07:11 PM
    SmartWifi $9.99 but worth every penny.
    It uses cell network to find locations of saved wifi hotspots (home,work) and when you enter these areas, it will turn on wifi and when you leave the aera, it will turn it off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-11 07:25 PM
    I have been using smart wifi for about 2 months and it works great on my 9900. I noticed somewhere it said it doesn't work with bb7 but it does. It turns on and off with zero effort, as soon as i walk into work or home its on and when i'm at the mall or the movies...it's off. I got it on sale but the full price would be worth it
    11-08-11 07:27 PM
    You can also buy BatterBooster and it will include smart wifi and an auto on/off app aswell.

11-08-11 08:00 PM
    I also use SmartWifi but I've never actually monitored my battery usage one way or another. I probably should and see if it is worth the money or not! I only raise question because it appears as though my phone's wifi is always in the on position but only connects/becomes available in certain locations (as determined by SmartWifi).

Anyone ever done some testing with this app?
    11-08-11 10:32 PM
    I also use SmartWifi but I've never actually monitored my battery usage one way or another. I probably should and see if it is worth the money or not! I only raise question because it appears as though my phone's wifi is always in the on position but only connects/becomes available in certain locations (as determined by SmartWifi).

Anyone ever done some testing with this app?

Any app that turns on wifi due to tower location is always running and will cause a higher discharge rate.
    But you won't see most of them listed as a open app, but they are running.

Sent from my BlackBerry� using Tapatalk
    11-08-11 10:43 PM
    Any app that turns on wifi due to tower location is always running and will cause a higher discharge rate.
    But you won't see most of them listed as a open app, but they are running.

So I should delete SmartWifi then?
    11-08-11 10:58 PM
    So I should delete SmartWifi then?

I think you should monitor the discharge rate with it installed and removed then decide if having it installed is worth the higher discharge rate.

11-08-11 11:04 PM
    I think you should monitor the discharge rate with it installed and removed then decide if having it installed is worth the higher discharge rate.

Hmm, I think you're right. Thanks for making me second guess it. I've just been kind of blindly following its advertisement but am not getting very good battery life.
    11-08-11 11:09 PM
    Loaded the SmartWIFI and working fine for two days. I guess the theory is that the app is running and does use power however I would think the radio usage looking for a WIFI would be higher? We would have to ask an engineer.

Anyways app is working fine.
    11-10-11 09:34 PM
    Loaded the SmartWIFI and working fine for two days. I guess the theory is that the app is running and does use power however I would think the radio usage looking for a WIFI would be higher? We would have to ask an engineer.

Anyways app is working fine.

Using this app does cause more drain on the battery since its always running. Its a convenience, you have to ask yourself if the extra battery drain is worth it.

Not having this app and turning the wifi on when you need it and turning it off when you don't will use less battery, but you loose the convenience. Which is more important to you?

Via Blackberry Bold® 9930 using Tapatalk®
    11-10-11 09:53 PM
    I've always left wifi on, and have never noticed any degradation in the battery life. If I can get one day of use I'm happy. I charge every night when going to bed, whether it needs it or not.
    11-10-11 10:03 PM
    I've always left wifi on, and have never noticed any degradation in the battery life. If I can get one day of use I'm happy. I charge every night when going to bed, whether it needs it or not.

Most people are seeing an increase of 5% discharge rate per hour with that app. I also tried it and that was the case with me as well. My battery does better with out it.

And turning wifi on and of with OS 6/7 devices is really easy anyways.

Via Blackberry Bold® 9930 using Tapatalk®
    11-10-11 10:08 PM
    Most people are seeing an increase of 5% discharge rate per hour with that app. I also tried it and that was the case with me as well. My battery does better with out it.

And turning wifi on and of with OS 6/7 devices is really easy anyways.

Via Blackberry Bold� 9930 using Tapatalk�
    Good to know. An increase of 5%? That's crazy.
    11-10-11 10:11 PM
    Not true. 5%/hour?!? Ridiculous. Smart Wifi uses <1% CPU while idle. If you are experiencing excessive drain, it's likely due to being out of range of a saved wifi spot, but in the same cell associated with it. Smart Wifi records multiple towers for a given wifi location, any that you connect to. If you open SWF and check the cell you are connected to, you can delete the towers that are too far away from your wifi spot. Fine tuning SWF is key to its performance. The app itself does not cause excessive drain of any kind.

11-11-11 07:07 AM
    I've been using Wifi-Manager, its free, gets the job done. When I'm on wifi, and this app is active my BB has a battery discharge rate of 1% an hour, sometimes less.
    11-11-11 08:41 AM
    Not true. 5%/hour?!? Ridiculous. Smart Wifi uses <1% CPU while idle. If you are experiencing excessive drain, it's likely due to being out of range of a saved wifi spot, but in the same cell associated with it. Smart Wifi records multiple towers for a given wifi location, any that you connect to. If you open SWF and check the cell you are connected to, you can delete the towers that are too far away from your wifi spot. Fine tuning SWF is key to its performance. The app itself does not cause excessive drain of any kind.

This is when I am 70 miles away from my wifi source, wifi is turned of and wifi manager is running.

Perhaps Smart wifi is a better app.

Via Blackberry Bold&#174; 9930 using Tapatalk&#174;
    11-11-11 09:51 AM
    USe your hands and fingers to go to manage connections :P
    11-11-11 10:29 AM
    I was using WiFi Manager getting an idle discharge rate of ~3-5%. I deleted the app (not touching anything else on my 9900) and my idle rate dropped to 0.5-1%

Am now manually turning wifi on and off and happy with my increased battery life!
    11-11-11 11:21 AM
    I was using WiFi Manager getting an idle discharge rate of ~3-5%. I deleted the app (not touching anything else on my 9900) and my idle rate dropped to 0.5-1%

Am now manually turning wifi on and off and happy with my increased battery life!

Same experience here.....

11-11-11 08:23 PM
    It's been my experience with Berries that leaving wifi on gives you much better battery life when a wifi connection is available because your data connection will use it before the 3G. I tried the Droid 3 for about a month and it was exactly the opposite. Using wifi drained the Droid incredibly fast. I do however turn the wifi off and turn bluetooth on when I leave my house. For any of you that dabble with NFC I have one tag that turns off wifi and turns on BT when I leave and another that turns off BT and turns on wifi when I get home.
    11-12-11 01:48 AM
    It's been my experience with Berries that leaving wifi on gives you much better battery life when a wifi connection is available because your data connection will use it before the 3G. I tried the Droid 3 for about a month and it was exactly the opposite. Using wifi drained the Droid incredibly fast. I do however turn the wifi off and turn bluetooth on when I leave my house. For any of you that dabble with NFC I have one tag that turns off wifi and turns on BT when I leave and another that turns off BT and turns on wifi when I get home.

This is interesting....please elaborate.

11-12-11 07:04 PM
    I've been using Wifi-Manager, its free, gets the job done. When I'm on wifi, and this app is active my BB has a battery discharge rate of 1% an hour, sometimes less.
    Ditto

11-12-11 07:12 PM
    I concur with otacon72. A strong wifi connection beats a middling cellular connection on battery life. I leave wifi on at home all the time. I noticed on my 9700 that I got better battery life using wifi as much as possible, as well as keeping data usage way down. I'm now a wifi *****.

11-12-11 08:29 PM
    This is interesting....please elaborate.

Via Blackberry Bold� 9930 using Tapatalk�
    I concur with otacon72. A strong wifi connection beats a middling cellular connection on battery life. I leave wifi on at home all the time. I noticed on my 9700 that I got better battery life using wifi as much as possible, as well as keeping data usage way down. I'm now a wifi *****.

I think rrrebo said it all. When I'd forget to turn my wifi on at home my battery life was pretty bad. Running wifi when a connection is available significantly increases battery life for me. If you want me to elaborate anymore let me know.
    11-12-11 08:35 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD