09-20-11 09:00 PM
194 ... 34567 ...
tools
    I have 2 days from Bold 9900. My observations:

On the first day I observed 9 hours max
    On day 2 i got around 15 hours

I then diciplined my battery. This involved talking on it for a couple hours whilst it was charging. I also kept it plugged in for 15 hours on day 3.

So this takes me to day 4, and I'm typing here with 25 percent left after 26 hours.

Bottom line, give your devices time to settle in before making your conclusions, I'm almost certain that the majority will see similar improvements after 3 days

Vodafone UK - Bold 9900

Kace
    08-20-11 03:02 AM
    Honestly what do you expect guys with a phone that has a high res touchscreen and double the cpu power at 1.2Ghz? Battery life will get better with better power managment OS builds. Honestly the battery life is comparable to my iPhone 4. Blackberry users are accustomed to great battery life on devices that are slow and have a low resolution screen. Obviously the battery life would be good. Now the OS7 devices have horsepower. So yes battery life won't be as great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I wish that comes officially from RIM and I will sell all my shares.
    08-20-11 05:54 AM
    Kace, I hope what you are saying happens with me too. But since past 7-8 days I haven't seen any change.

I have 2 days from Bold 9900. My observations:

On the first day I observed 9 hours max
    On day 2 i got around 15 hours

I then diciplined my battery. This involved talking on it for a couple hours whilst it was charging. I also kept it plugged in for 15 hours on day 3.

So this takes me to day 4, and I'm typing here with 25 percent left after 26 hours.

Bottom line, give your devices time to settle in before making your conclusions, I'm almost certain that the majority will see similar improvements after 3 days

Vodafone UK - Bold 9900

Kace
    08-20-11 05:56 AM
    Coolraghav, how many hours do you in fact get from one charge?
    08-20-11 06:45 AM
    Coolraghav, how many hours do you in fact get from one charge?
    Around 6 hours, if I can really estimate. Because, as soon the battery starts going real low like 30% i put it on charging. So I haven't really killed the battery. But yes..Ive to charge atleast two times a day(exclusive of night charging when I'm sleeping which gives me 100% charge when I get up) whenever I get time. (car carger..usb port)
    Last edited by coolraghav; 08-20-11 at 07:04 AM. Reason: edited...
    08-20-11 06:49 AM
    Around 6 hours, if I can really estimate. Because, as soon the battery starts going real low like 30% i put it on charging. So I haven't really killed the battery. But yes..Ive to charge atleast two times a day whenever I get time. (car carger..usb port)
    One thing i noticed is you can use it for quite a while on red. It doesn't turn connections off straight away as with my 9700.

08-20-11 07:06 AM
    Around 6 hours, if I can really estimate. Because, as soon the battery starts going real low like 30% i put it on charging. So I haven't really killed the battery. But yes..Ive to charge atleast two times a day(exclusive of night charging when I'm sleeping which gives me 100% charge when I get up) whenever I get time. (car carger..usb port)
    Tell us what you have running on your device. If you device is running down on 6 hours you are either constantly on it or your got a lot of social software polling the server ever few minutes or last a defective battery.
    08-20-11 07:09 AM
    From 30% you can get at least another 2-3 hours with moderate use, if you start being more carefull you can get 4 hours for sure. On standby it will last 24hrs probably, I forgot to put mine on charge last night and in the morning it was the same.

08-20-11 07:39 AM
    So.... Since unplugging 2.5 hours ago. I have received an 18 minute phone call, done about 5 mins browsing, checked ubersocial twice and facebook once. I am down to 86%.

I expected better tbf. I'm hoping it improves in time, but I don't believe in all that 'wearing it in' rubbish

08-20-11 08:38 AM
    I think the cell-tower code argument for why it is working well for some but not for others is the most logical I've heard, which means it can be fixed by OS updates. The guys on the crackberry podcast said that what seemed to be the difference between good battery and bad was how much you travelled - that people moving around all day had it die fast but people staying still had no problems. I did move around a fair bit the past two days so it might have something to do with it, if the code is lacking somehow on the switching towers process. I tried upgrading to the Vodafone .296 yesterday and today will give it a test of what should be a light-use day. If it can't make it from when it was unplugged about 20 minutes ago, about 9am, to when I'll plug it in tonight, about 11pm, even on light use and staying in all day, I'll be very disappointed.
    08-20-11 09:20 AM
    I think the cell-tower code argument for why it is working well for some but not for others is the most logical I've heard, which means it can be fixed by OS updates. The guys on the crackberry podcast said that what seemed to be the difference between good battery and bad was how much you travelled - that people moving around all day had it die fast but people staying still had no problems. I did move around a fair bit the past two days so it might have something to do with it, if the code is lacking somehow on the switching towers process. I tried upgrading to the Vodafone .296 yesterday and today will give it a test of what should be a light-use day. If it can't make it from when it was unplugged about 20 minutes ago, about 9am, to when I'll plug it in tonight, about 11pm, even on light use and staying in all day, I'll be very disappointed.
    As a courier always driving I can confirm that, you're not only jumpinf from cell tower to cell tower but also from 2G to 3G and back.

08-20-11 09:29 AM
    So, it sounds like an extended battery will completely solve this issue.

Is there any chance that one will get produced?
    bcbbanga4l likes this.
    08-20-11 09:35 AM
    So, it sounds like an extended battery will completely solve this issue.

Is there any chance that one will get produced?
    If you drive a lot switch to 2G only.

08-20-11 09:55 AM
    ok, so i figured id weigh in on my battery findings, iv had the phone since monday so i wanted to give it some time before making any observations.

so, initally out of the box the battery was quite poor, so for monday and tuesday, i didnt have great battery life. then on wednesday i decided to see what could be done about this, first thing to note, is the GPS is automatically turned on by default, this is a waste, so i turned it off, knowing of course i can just turn it on as and when its needed. the next thing i did was install six tools from appworld, theres a free trial for anyone wanting to have a look although the full version is well worth the price, it gives you a battery meter that measures the battery in increments of 1%, and additinally gives you the option of assigning actions to your media keys, effectivley giving you and additional 3 convenience keys (something worth having as there is only one on the 9900 as default).

wed - took off charge at 10am, used the phone thru the day, when battery was apx 30% i needed to reboot due to an app upgrade, upon rebooting i found i had 4% EXTRA battery as the level showed as 34%!! bemused i continued using, and placed on charge when phone hit 6% at about 11pm.

thru - took off charge at 9am, used through the day, and when i was at 35% i thought `i wonder` and did a battery pull (there wasnt any need for this, i was just curious) and again, i had an increase in battery!! this time i had 41% showing!! bargain, another 6% battery! so as per the previous evening i continued to let it run down, but by 11pm it was still at 28%, so a marked improvement over the wednesday.

fri - took off charge at 9am, used throught the day and by 11pm it was at 38%, so i thought `why not` and tried another battery pull, and yup, again had an increase, this time up to 41%!!

so, my conclusions from this, firstly, do some `cycles` on the battery running it down to anything around 10% before recharging as this obviously seems to help, secondly, while `cycling` the battery, when below half, try a battery pull (those with six tools will see the exact gain/loss) as i found this helped `calibrate` my battery levels, and thridly, using the pouch is worthwhile, as it puts the phone into a `sleep` style mode, which uses about 50% of normal standby power.

as for my levels today? took off charge at 9am, is 3pm now and at 88%!! as you can see, for myself at least some cycling, a few reboots as stated above, and leaving to `overcharge` overnight have really helped the life of the battery. naturally turning off gps etc will also help.

as for my setup, the backlight is on 100% and it auto turns off the screen after 30secs, and i have `auto dim backlight` tunred off, these settings can be foudn in options>display> screen display. of course you could set your display to timeout sooner and not be on 100% brightness (70% to 100% isnt really anoticeable difference tbh) but you should start to see good results after a few days of cycling the battery.

as for battery life in general, i never expected it to be more than a day or two max, i mean the 9780 has a slower processor, a smaller res screen and is non touchscreen, whereas this is a double the speed processor, a larger screen, both physically and in res - pushing more pixels - and is also a touchscreen, so naturally keeping the same life wasnt gonna happen, now i get around the same life as the 9800 did for me, which is perfectly adequate.

also, to clarify, im running .296 (vf uk version) have 3 emails, fb and twitter installed both running thru social feeds.
    08-20-11 10:12 AM
    I was having horrible battery life with 296.

Installed 317 today and within the first 3 hours I noticed a huuuuuuuuuge difference

This is with light BBM usage for the past hour:

My Settings:

Backlight Brightness - 70% (Default)
    Backlight Timeout - 30 seconds (default)
    BerryWeather - Auto refresh every 6 hours
    BerryWeather - Check for new feeds every 6 hours
    Facebook - Autorefresh every hour
    Wallpaper Changer Pro - Change wallpaper every 30 mins
    08-20-11 10:21 AM
    Cheers BB Themes..... I have turned off my GPS ("Location Services 'off' ") and will see what happens....
    08-20-11 10:23 AM
    I was having horrible battery life with 296.

Installed 317 today and within the first 3 hours I noticed a huuuuuuuuuge difference

This is with light BBM usage for the past hour:

My Settings:

Backlight Brightness - 70% (Default)
    Backlight Timeout - 30 seconds (default)
    BerryWeather - Auto refresh every 6 hours
    BerryWeather - Check for new feeds every 6 hours
    Facebook - Autorefresh every hour
    Wallpaper Changer Pro - Change wallpaper every 30 mins
    I have read things about .317. Have you been having any problems?
    08-20-11 10:26 AM
    To the guy that said wearing-in a pile of nonsense, take the time to read everyone's suggestions buddy. You'll find that the overwhelming concensus is that battery life improves after a few days worth of use.

Read people tips on disabling GPS for example, NO BRAINER...
    08-20-11 10:43 AM
    To the guy that said wearing-in a pile of nonsense, take the time to read everyone's suggestions buddy. You'll find that the overwhelming concensus is that battery life improves after a few days worth of use.

It is rubbish. New lithium ion batteries do *not* need broken in and the battery life will *not* improve over a few days of charging/discharging. The chemistry of how lithium ion batteries operate is not magic and people's opinions don't trump scientific fact!

RIM have a massive problem here and yet don't seem to be saying anything about it. What's the point in a fancy new Blackberry if you need to carry a charger with you all the time?
    08-20-11 11:02 AM
    It is rubbish. New lithium ion batteries do *not* need broken in and the battery life will *not* improve over a few days of charging/discharging. The chemistry of how lithium ion batteries operate is not magic and people's opinions don't trump scientific fact!

RIM have a massive problem here and yet don't seem to be saying anything about it. What's the point in a fancy new Blackberry if you need to carry a charger with you all the time?
    I take it you have shares in Apple?

"Massive problem", this is gross overdramatisation buddy and quite frankly i'm dissapointed in what you just said. Moreso if you haven't even owned a 9900 yet.

Oh by the way, welcome to the forums!
    08-20-11 11:26 AM

if you wish to go back to the previous page and read my post, it proves it DOES help, i dont think its so much a case of `running them in` but more a case of the phone not calibrating the battery effectively from startup, this is what does help.

alternativly you could ignore all the advice others have said
    08-20-11 11:28 AM
    as long as I can get a day out of it, im happy
    If you want more battery life buy a bigger battery!
    08-20-11 11:29 AM

Settle down lol. Didn't realise that opinions weren't allowed to be voiced.

If you look, you'll see I followed some advice.

08-20-11 11:45 AM
    Off the charger at 9am, 5PM now and I'm at 50%, and drove about 80 miles plus listened to an hour long podcast.

Acording to application management feature I used it for 3 hours out of which browser was used for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 08-20-11 at 12:22 PM.
    08-20-11 11:58 AM
    the batteries DO NOT have a break in per say. But the phones do need to get proper readings for 100% and 0% and such to be accurate in the readings.
    bcbbanga4l likes this.
    08-20-11 12:13 PM
194 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD