Just as information for a potential BB 9900 buyer: is it possible to change out the battery to a higher capacity? If so, then would would be the max battery size one can change out to?
    08-20-11 11:35 AM
    The battery is smaller than the 9700.. Smaller battery along with a touchscreen and of course you will get shorter battery life.. I don't think a software update will fix this.. I would think you need a bigger battery...

James
    08-20-11 12:01 PM
    I would have been pleased to add the battery issue to my camera rant however the phone I tested from Sprint appeared to have battery life equal to my Bold 9650. I'm thinking it has to be a build quality issue with the battery itself as there have been too many reports of people with no problem at all AND people who are having obvious problems.

I recently bought a battery grip for my old Canon 10D D-SLR camera and ordered some new batteries to put in it - they were the exact same size as the stock battery that came with the camera however the new batteries had significant more MaH. I can only assume the same thing is possible with the battery in the 9900.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    08-20-11 12:09 PM
    I would like to get one of the 1600 mAh battery from newegg for the 9930. Does anyone know if using a non OEm battery will void the warranty?
    08-20-11 12:52 PM
    I would like to get one of the 1600 mAh battery from newegg for the 9930. Does anyone know if using a non OEm battery will void the warranty?
    Just keep the oem for any warranty return issues. eh?
    08-20-11 01:48 PM
    There is a thread which discussed this battery from newegg and unfortunately...
    ...After two people ordered it - it's not the right battery, does not fit with the contacts on the wrong side, etc.
    travaz likes this.
    08-20-11 02:00 PM
    well, for what its worth, iv had my phone off charge now for 12 hours almost, and after conditioning/calbrating/whatever ya wanna call it as i described in a previous post, i now have 68% battery left. no complaints from me.
    08-20-11 02:36 PM
    There is absolutely ZERO value in people comparing battery life with each other. The ONLY relevant test is how your battery life measures up with your previously owned phones that you've used in exactly the same way. It's so frustrating when you're only getting 6-8 hrs from a battery to hear someone else say "well I use mine much more than that and I get 24 hours easily." OBVIOUSLY there is something not right in such cases. Whether it's one person lying or exaggerating about their usage or their battery life, or differences in location and radio coverage, or whatever...you are never going to get an accurate comparison. Ask yourself: how does this Blackberry compare to other models I've had.

When I had an iPhone 4 I was disgusted at the battery life and was listening to other people on forums saying "dude, I'm never off mine and the thing lasts 2 days, get a replacement" and reviews online saying the battery life was 2-3 days...to the point where I got 2 replacements and they were BOTH the same battery life. So many people who rave about battery are, in turns out, light users who spend most of their working day on their work computer or otherwise not on their phone...whereas you have people like me who move around all day and basically run their entire business on their Blackberry and are never off it. For me, the 9700 would genuinely last a day and a half of INSANE usage including 4-5 hours of bluetooth calls. If I get a 9900 that is the ONLY benchmark I'm going to compare it to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Brov likes this.
    08-20-11 03:01 PM
    My 9900 just spent an hour in the red and the connections haven't turned off yet. This last hour I browsed at least 20 minutes.

08-20-11 04:01 PM
    In my experience, it's the phone that needs adapting through charge/discharge cycles, not the battery. Once you run the battery from 100% to shut down (1% or so), the software will have a more accurate map of the battery %. I had to do the same thing on my HTC Incredible when I got it. The battery life didn't get "better" but the software's interpretation of % became far more accurate. Fully charge your battery and run it until shut-down and I'm sure you'll find similar results. I'm a noob though, so take my observations with a grain of salt.
    08-20-11 04:07 PM
    In my experience, it's the phone that needs adapting through charge/discharge cycles, not the battery. Once you run the battery from 100% to shut down (1% or so), the software will have a more accurate map of the battery %. I had to do the same thing on my HTC Incredible when I got it. The battery life didn't get "better" but the software's interpretation of % became far more accurate. Fully charge your battery and run it until shut-down and I'm sure you'll find similar results. I'm a noob though, so take my observations with a grain of salt.
    this is basically correct.
    08-20-11 04:46 PM
    I know my battery life sucked on my 9650 so I bought a seidio 2600 battery and that's the battery life I would expect a berry to have baith this up and down reviews of the phones battery life I'll stay with my 9650 with the seidio ext

08-20-11 06:22 PM
    should have been 1500mah battery instead of 1030 mah.guess the 9700 series will hold that record for the time being.these decisions rim engineers are making are just not right.no autofocus and a slim battery.hello rim wake up.see what your competitors are loading on their new devices.apple's i5 will have 8mp camera,a5 processor,and much more.rim even though sell a lot of devices you will eventually have to catch up to today's technology standards.
    08-20-11 06:32 PM
    my first post here and i have to comment...coming from a samsung phone which i charged once a week...my 9900 requires charging every 2 days at the most..this is my first week and its been drained and charged 3 times....even with very light usage....this thing is a power hog...it must be the display but overall i like the phone...

i think there is enough room under the battery cover for RIM to install a slighty fatter higher capacity battery from the get go.
    08-20-11 08:08 PM
    my first post here and i have to comment...coming from a samsung phone which i charged once a week...my 9900 requires charging every 2 days at the most..this is my first week and its been drained and charged 3 times....even with very light usage....this thing is a power hog...it must be the display but overall i like the phone...

i think there is enough room under the battery cover for RIM to install a slighty fatter higher capacity battery from the get go.
    respectfully, im willing to bet my house that the samsung phone you had wasnt a powerful (1.2Ghz) smartphone with a touchscreen.

dont get me wrong we`d all love a bit of extra battery juice, but not even the 9780 (slower processor, no touchscreen and less pixels to push) could last anyone a week of normal useage.
    08-20-11 09:06 PM
    I just got my batteries in from that link posted earlier in the thread. Although description says 1600mAh the battery says 2200mAh. I highly doubt thats how big the capacity of these are, but once I get my rogers BB i'll surely test it out

08-20-11 09:25 PM
    I just got my batteries in from that link posted earlier in the thread. Although description says 1600mAh the battery says 2200mAh. I highly doubt thats how big the capacity of these are, but once I get my rogers BB i'll surely test it out

Nice. I got two ordered but I am out of town till next week so have to wait. Anxious to see how these perform
    08-20-11 09:28 PM
    My orignal battery life is 1 day and a little. It has been great to me so far.
    08-20-11 09:29 PM
    i updated to .269 immediately i got my 9900 and all has been fine since. the battery life is okay even though i have installed almost all the 36 apps i had on my torch.
    08-21-11 12:47 AM
    Nice. I got two ordered but I am out of town till next week so have to wait. Anxious to see how these perform
    i will really love to see how long these batteries last. please dont forget to post
    08-21-11 12:50 AM
    Two days in after upgrading my OS to .296 and it is much much better - not quite as good as my 9780 but pretty close. Today has been a light use day but still, I'm about 16 hours in and at about 80%. Yesterday was similar - a bit closer to my normal moderate use and it hit about 60% at around the same 16 hours.

Now I still don't really know if this means it is due to the OS, though. My girlfriend also said that hers got a lot better after a few days, too. In both of our cases, we travelled a lot more the first couple days and stayed mostly still the next couple when it got better, so the cell tower argument still makes sense. And the "wearing in the battery" argument still makes sense as clearly we have now worn it in.

Whatever it was, I'm glad it is solved
    08-21-11 11:09 PM
    please post a pic of that battery in your bold 9900 if it does fit!
    08-21-11 11:22 PM
    Phonedog reviewer is only getting 8 hours. Looks like a twice a day charge. Sigh.....

BlackBerry Bold 9930 Video Review Part 1 | PhoneDog
    08-22-11 09:08 AM
    FWIW - this past weekend was a heavy poker weekend for me...previously (Storm 2), I'd only get about 8 hours in with all the radios off and listening to cached stations on Slacker. Friday night, I put a solid 14 hours in - turning the radios back on for about 5 minutes at a time (to text/tweet updates) and still had 20% of my battery left...

Poker tournaments are the only time I REALLY drained the battery, so this performance made me really happy...I can't speak to the battery life with the radios on, though...I just know I haven't noticed any severe battery drain - being a light-moderate user.
    08-22-11 09:25 AM
    I'm getting like 6 hrs with moderate use. I freaked out today when I forgot my charger going to work.

This should not be happening. I have a feeling its a result of apps that are not optimized for BB 7 that is causing such terrible battery life.

Still, the thing is such an improvement over my prior Blackberries that I still love it to death.
    08-22-11 10:11 AM
194 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD