03-04-12 10:52 PM
54 123
tools
    I have the ribbon too but what is it.

I have portect set to backup daily.

Might set it to weekly.

In fact might even delete it.

Intravenously expelled from my BlackBerry 9900 using mindcontrol.
    01-15-12 04:37 PM
    Am thinking of deleting BB protect, too then after seeing this.

Question is that if it's only set to activate / backup weekly then how does that affect the batt life but once a week?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-12 04:43 PM
    I found Whatsapp uses over 20% per hour. This is on OS 7.1.0.190. I'm not sure what sort of juice Whatsapp sucks up during idle but at least that's the rate it sucks up the battery being used.

Anyone has any batt usage rate # from using whatsapp on your phone?

01-15-12 04:51 PM
    try deleting whatsapp. i noticed it was draining my battery just as you are noticing.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    01-16-12 01:31 AM
    Weird thing is that Whatsapp wasnt bad at all when I used it on 9700.

I noticed no difference before / after installation on batt drainage on 9700.

On 9900, I have BatteryPlus apps installed. One of the simple option on the apps shows what apps is operation in the background.

Though I exited out of Whatsapp and don't see it as one of the operating apps when press/hold the menu button but BatteryPlus still shows Whatsapp is running in the background.

01-16-12 01:35 AM
    Try upgrading to the new Whatsapp beta. I found that it's helped reduce battery drain.
    01-16-12 01:48 AM
    Whatsapp beta.. Where do you find that? I have 2.6.9372 version.

Last edited by wwwatch; 01-16-12 at 01:56 AM.
    01-16-12 01:52 AM
    It's an OTA download: http://beta.whatsapp.com/ota/

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    01-16-12 02:13 AM
    Try upgrading to the new Whatsapp beta. I found that it's helped reduce battery drain.
    Sure it reduced the drain or is it eating up?
    01-16-12 02:18 AM
    In the Beta version there is a BIS Push on/off option which I didn't find from the old/released version. It says setting that to 'off' will drain the battery. I'm wondering if the Beta version having this option will help. Let's see, I just upgraded.

01-16-12 02:57 AM
    BatteryPlus (apps) 'Process View' option shows what apps are running in the background.

With the previous Whatsapp version no matter what I do (short of deleting it), BatteryPlus keeps showing Whatsapp is running in the background. With the Beta version, once I exit out of Whatsapp, BattPlus doesn't show that Whatsapp is running.

Now I'm not saying whatsapp is sapping battery previous or the beta version has fixed things. But just reporting what happens.

01-16-12 03:42 AM
    New Whatsapp have no battery issues. Using my 9900 2 days (light usage), 1 day full (heavy).
    Background applications are ;
    Whatsapp
    FancyWidgets
    Traffic Monitor
    Multi Alarm
    Digital Menu
    Advance OS and LED
    01-16-12 05:52 AM
    I'm now on the new WhatsApp, but haven't had it long enough to comment on.

However, when I was using the previous version I was still able to get good battery life by careful app management. Hopefully the new beta will resolve battery problems for those suffering them.
    01-16-12 03:00 PM
    Installed the whatsapp beta and discharge rate has gone from around 2% to over 7%.

The version I was on previously (from app world) is no longer available so here's hoping the latest non-beta version is better.
    01-17-12 08:30 AM
    Wow Nell, that's is a crazy jump. So I'm taking that the rate is an overall rate and not a rate taken during Whatsapp usage?

01-17-12 08:37 AM
    Yes that's the overall rate, the phone came off charge earlier today and that is the current discharge rate. Not impressed, I was previously around 2% and had last charged my phone on Saturday!

Going to give it a few more hours and then if no better uninstall and go back to the non-beta.
    01-17-12 08:51 AM
    Dang, at 2% discharge rate would be damn happy. I wouldn't even be on this thread.

01-17-12 08:56 AM
    Caveat - That is GPRS only (mostly) away from home and GPRS/WIFI when indoors. So no 3G.
    01-17-12 09:09 AM
    It seems that the culprit was actually email++ that reinstalled yesterday, I never checked the discharge rate after yesterday afternoon. I just uninstalled it and I am back to 2.2% discharge.

Looks like email++ needs to be added to the sapping list.
    01-17-12 09:59 AM
    What is email++?

01-17-12 10:02 AM
    Buy Email ++ - Download Email ++ - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

I had the location support turned off so in theory it should not have caused an issue. It's a nice app but one I can live without.
    01-17-12 10:24 AM
    My discharge rate is from 7% to 20% ...... -.-
    Last edited by Smartie020; 01-17-12 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Managed to get BBDA back:)
    01-17-12 11:10 AM
    Maybe it was not email++ after all I just recharged to 100% (or 99%+ as it states) and started again and it has almost immediately dropped like a stone in the first 30-60 minutes, with a 12.7% discharge.
    01-17-12 11:16 AM
    Very weird behavior from Whatsapp. For some reason the beta version started to stick in the background also after I have exited. This happens after 1 day of use. Also, the Beta version doesn't reduce any batt consumption either.

I went back to the released version and found that it doesn't stick in the background after exiting anymore. I will see how long this last.

01-17-12 08:38 PM
    How does the device analyzer help to find out which or what causes the fast draining of the battery? I just can see my average discharge rate. Sometimes I think my phone has its own mind. Normal use I have an average discharge rate of 7 - 9, sometimes even higher, and then it is just between 1 - 3% (light usage)....
    01-17-12 08:45 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD