03-14-12 06:16 PM
37 12
tools
    Hi all,

This is a topic that there is a lot of information about out there - the (what I would consider to be) appalling battery life on the Blackberry Bold 9900. The reality is that, with a decent amount of usage, it has absolutely no chance to last a day on a full charge, and will often be in dire straits after 2-3 hours of constant general usage (BBM conversations, internet browsing).

I've read several articles and forum posts about how to extend your battery life (closing apps, amending app settings, backlight, wifi, bluetooth settings) etc, but even then, the battery life is still terrible.

What I would like to know is, has anyone here successfully mitigated this problem, and if so, how? Has anyone bought a larger battery? Was this successful? Would you recommend buying a spare battery? (Only in the most extreme circumstances would I use my phone enough to drain 2 batteries in between charging opportunities)

Your recommendations and help would be very welcome,

Regards,

Mark
    02-05-12 07:43 PM
    I search the forums and find tons of these threads about the 9900's battery life. You can use an external charger (such as the 9000 model from ebay that costs $2.84 or $3 depending, with free shipping, just bend the pins 1.5 mm to the left for best contact using jm-1 batteries) with an extra battery, and then just swap batteries. Like I say, the battery is misreporting it's fully charged to the charger, thus, bad battery life, because it's only 50% charged.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-05-12 07:50 PM
    my solution is....well i got a extra OEM battery
    keyhole likes this.
    02-05-12 10:37 PM
    What I do is bring a charger to work and school. It's freaking annoying how much this batter sucks.
    02-05-12 11:19 PM
    What I do is bring a charger to work and school. It's freaking annoying how much this batter sucks.

An extra battery and aftermarket (proper china-made universal battery charger) would be allot better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    keyhole likes this.
    02-05-12 11:28 PM
    I have an extra battery and charger...but I didn't pay for the battery. I complained to my phone company (AT&T) about the lousy battery life on the phone, and they reimbursed me for the cost of an OEM battery which I bought from Amazon. I also bought a battery charger. Now, I just keep exchanging batteries on my phone. I have noticed one battery works better than the other in terms of how long it keeps its charge, but I'm not sure if it's the one that came with the phone. This situation is not perfect to be sure, but at least now I never worry about my battery. I know I've always got the spare handy. Now, if I could only find a nice little plastic case to carry the spare around in...that would be great!
    02-06-12 12:25 AM
    I got a second battery with an external charger. But the battery is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
    02-06-12 12:54 AM
    Yes there is a fix.

i was in the same situation. i use to have a battery drain of 20% to 25% with normal use + wifi and bridge. my phone couldnt make it to lunchtime before dying on me. just like you i tried many tips online but nothing worked.

One of the tips i disregarded at first was the 3G network settings, because i had a strong signal and it didnt make much sense to me so i didnt pay much attention to it. but the fact is when i dropped my connection from 3G to EDGE, the battery life skyrocketted even though the 3g signal was always strong. the change was actually impressive:

The battery drain at standby was 10% to 12% with 3G. when changed the settings to 2G. the drain dropped to 1.5% (standby), all else being equal.

i spent a week on 2G only. the switched back to 3G. same signal strength and no other changes. the drain settled at 3% on standby.

I suggest you try doing the same. switch to 2G for a few days then back to 3G. it worked really well in my case
    02-06-12 12:55 AM
    Yes there is a fix.

i was in the same situation. i use to have a battery drain of 20% to 25% with normal use + wifi and bridge. my phone couldnt make it to lunchtime before dying on me. just like you i tried many tips online but nothing worked.

One of the tips i disregarded at first was the 3G network settings, because i had a strong signal and it didnt make much sense to me so i didnt pay much attention to it. but the fact is when i dropped my connection from 3G to EDGE, the battery life skyrocketted even though the 3g signal was always strong. the change was actually impressive:

The battery drain at standby was 10% to 12% with 3G. when changed the settings to 2G. the drain dropped to 1.5% (standby), all else being equal.

i spent a week on 2G only. the switched back to 3G. same signal strength and no other changes. the drain settled at 3% on standby.

I suggest you try doing the same. switch to 2G for a few days then back to 3G. it worked really well in my case
    02-06-12 12:56 AM
    dont need any. 24hours on battery is really enough for me.

if I'm going to travel. I will always ready with a charger.
    02-06-12 12:57 AM
    Set screen brightness to 10, and ensure backlight is set to turn off in a reasonable amount of time. And although I don't follow this advice, keep wifi bluetooth, NFC, and hotspot connections off when not in use.
    02-06-12 01:03 AM
    I got a second battery with an external charger. But the battery is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
    There is probably some truth in this...but I'd just like to say it really depends on how the phone is used. Right now...I've logged 1d 7h 52m on this same battery...because it's the weekend and I've only had a few phone calls, emails, texts, and some reference work today. But during the week with constant use, I'll kill a battery between 6am and 5pm. I think the biggest factor is how much you use the phone, and what you do. Internet and maps are I think the biggest killers. This weekend I logged the above times with 4G and WiFi and Location services ON.
    02-06-12 01:04 AM
    ^Agreed! I rarely make it through the day on a single charge, but I wouldn't expect to on any other phones with my high usage patterns either.
    02-06-12 01:10 AM
    ^Agreed! I rarely make it through the day on a single charge, but I wouldn't expect to on any other phones with my high usage patterns either.
    Agreed as well. Sorry to hijack this poor guy's thread...but just to say that compared to other phones out there, esp. the iphone, the 9900 holds its own. I think the people who are most disappointed with the 9900 are probably the folks like me who have owned a curve, or a bold 9700. Those phones always made it from wake to bed, no problem.
    02-06-12 01:15 AM
    ^I'm in that category as well. It's only bad in comparison to our older (and more under-powered) BlackBerry's we've been so used to up until now; but in comparison to the iPhone and many Android devices, the 9900's battery performs just fine. At least with a BlackBerry we have the option of switching out the battery.
    02-06-12 01:19 AM
    Yes, simple - install 7.1.0.205.
    02-06-12 02:34 AM
    I was one of those people with absolutely terrible battery life with moderate usage -- at first, I couldn't get more than 4 hours out of this thing (meaning, it would die completely). After trying all the "tricks" etc, I decided to swap out my battery. And, the battery -- at least in MY case -- was the culprit, I immediately began getting MUCH better battery life with a new battery sent Verizon. Somewhere, there's a post from me explaining my "experiment" results... Here it is: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tinued-647470/

Right now, according to the Device Analyzer, my battery's at 80 percent after removal from charger more than 6 hours ago, with a battery drain of between 2-3% per hour with what I feel is moderate usage for me. A few phone calls; average 8 emails per hour incoming/4 outgoing; av textsBBM per hour 5; running FunambolSync every 30 minutes; using Email++ to automatically delete/junk mail. UberTwitter is running in the background, autorefreshing once every 4 hours; same interval for FaceBook.

My network is set to Home Only (since I work at home during the week and don't need to roam very far<grin>), 1XEV 3G rather than Global 3G (same reason - I change both when I'm out of town on business/etc). I am also using WiFi while at home; I turn it off before I leave. Backlight and timeout both set to 20; blinking red LED turned on for only one of the three email addresses being pulled in.

OS: 7.1.0.163 installed OTA from Verizon on 9930. Current (good) battery made in Korea/China; original (bad) battery made in Mexico/Japan.
    Last edited by snickdog; 02-06-12 at 01:29 PM. Reason: additional info added
    02-06-12 01:23 PM
    All I know is that 7.1.0.205 sucksssssss for battery life. I have never had such horrible battery life before.
    02-06-12 01:42 PM
    Switched from 3G to EDGE when wifi is not available.
    02-06-12 01:52 PM
    Disagree the iphone battery lasts longer, thank god I can replace it though unlike the iphone where you are stuck with it when the battery inevitability starts to wane.
    02-21-12 01:44 PM
    All I know is that 7.1.0.205 sucksssssss for battery life. I have never had such horrible battery life before.
    i could squeeze 24 hours of light to moderate usage on .205. However, when .267 leaked, i took the plunge and abandoned .205. I regretted that at first. After 3 days, my battery seems to improve. at this time, 3pm, my battery is at 85% after taking the phone off the charger at 7am. Wifi on, battery saving option off, location off.

Many are experiencing the best battery life out of .267. You can try it too.
    02-21-12 02:02 PM
    Disagree the iphone battery lasts longer, thank god I can replace it though unlike the iphone where you are stuck with it when the battery inevitability starts to wane.
    Same for getting it wet/plunging it in water. You can't get that battery out unless you act quickly with that pry tool you happened to have in your pocket/purse.
    02-21-12 08:20 PM
    i have my BT, wifi, 3G, and bright set to 10 and i can go 3-4days on a charge with good amount of use (15-30calls a day and 50+ txt and BBM messages)

i don't get where the battery issues lies
    02-21-12 08:29 PM
    Yes there is a fix.

Ive been saying this from week 1 ! Just try it.... what do you have to lose ?? its 4-5 clicks.
    02-21-12 08:34 PM
    i have my BT, wifi, 3G, and bright set to 10 and i can go 3-4days on a charge with good amount of use (15-30calls a day and 50+ txt and BBM messages)

i don't get where the battery issues lies

That's insane,you either have the perfect setup or a awesome battery,what version are you running??
    02-22-12 07:45 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD