I can bet 10000 $ that you are not using that phone.
    Your standby time is useless.
    Totally Agree with this.
    01-04-12 03:48 PM
    Maybe there's a specific app you've been running that's killing it?

I have a good number on my phone, but am pretty OCD about checking MeterBerry, so when it spikes I know there's something up.

In general I get around 2-5% discharge with moderate usage, about 7-8% with heavy, and around 0.5-1.5% idle.
    01-04-12 03:55 PM
    Meterberry also kills your battery, as I had it on for about a week. Then removed it. Much better.

I am a beta tester so regularly wipe and reinstall the phone from scratch so no app issues.

Also all my testing is with a group of hybrid creators and the help of other forums I am aware that there is no one without battery issues yet using the 9900.

We are striving to create the perfect hybrid using what we have currently but even the leaked 7.1 sfi file is heavy on battery.

7.0 versions are being released regularly but having had all Current versions on they all have the same battery drain characteristics. Good but still not up to scratch for a days use.

The only people that I have seen claim more than 24hrs battery, apart from the user above, have been running their handsets on 2g only mode. Which I think is no good for this handset.
    Last edited by ifraser; 01-04-12 at 04:09 PM.
    01-04-12 04:06 PM
    Meterberry also kills your battery, as I had it on for about a week. Then removed it. Much better.

I am a beta tester so regularly wipe and reinstall the phone from scratch so no app issues.

Also all my testing is with a group of hybrid creators and the help of other forums I am aware that there is no one without battery issues yet using the 9900.

We are striving to create the perfect hybrid using what we have currently but even the leaked 7.1 sfi file is heavy on battery.

7.0 versions are being released regularly but having had all Current versions on they all have the same battery drain characteristics. Good but still not up to scratch for a days use.

The only people that I have seen claim more than 24hrs battery, apart from the user above, have been running their handsets on 2g only mode. Which I think is no good for this handset.

Hate to break it to you, but I have around 20 apps installed (with several that run constantly in the background: eg MeterBerry and Patternlock), run on 4G, location services on and WiFi on and I regularly get to 24hrs.

I'm not a super heavy user, but it doesn't sit idle either. I have limited calls, but many emails, bbm regularly, about an hour on Tapatalk and easily another 1-1.5hrs on Social Feeds (use it for all my rss reading). Add a little facebook and browsing on top and that's about a regular day. I usually only plug it in when I get to my desk in the morning.

I've seen plenty others around here who seem to also get about the same life.

It sucks if you aren't able to get the same out of your device, but don't think just because you have that experience so should everyone...
    01-04-12 06:45 PM
    Please list those apps, how many messenger contacts do you have? Do you have any groups? How about social networking apps?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-12 06:58 PM

I uninstalled meterberry and had no difference in battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-12 08:15 PM
    Battery life is awesome. All day on the phone, bluetooth, printing, texting, emails... Got home with 30% left. Must be all the pr0n surfing running the battery down.
    01-04-12 08:21 PM
    Those claiming amazing batt life, just think for a second.

The 9700 has a little bit more capacity when it comes out of the box.

The 9900 which is at least three times the device, comes with less.

Go figure.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-04-12 08:32 PM
    I get outta bed at 6 am and crawl back in at 10 pm...phone is with me the entire time I am awake and I have yet, in 4+ months put it on the charger any other time but while I sleep. I am a fairly heavy user as I run a business and use it as a primary communication piece. Most of the time I have 40-50% left....on the heaviest days i still have 20% or so left. Still running original .254 os as well. I'm actually afraid to change to another os as I feel I wouldn't get the same battery life.
    01-04-12 08:59 PM
    Those claiming amazing batt life, just think for a second.

The 9700 has a little bit more capacity when it comes out of the box.

The 9900 which is at least three times the device, comes with less.

Go figure.
    In my opinion, my 9780 had ridiculous battery life--so much that I was able to ignore the whole issue. The 9900 can't duplicate that, and there's no reason to expect it to.

But after a very hard start, I'm getting battery life that I wouldn't call "amazing" but I'd definitely consider very good--especially in comparison with the Android phones I've tried (Moto Defy and LG G2x).

For me, the minimum acceptable battery life is to be able to take it off the charger in the morning and put it on the charger when I go to bed, 16-18 hours later, without being on the ragged edge of shutting down. I have no complaint about having to charge a phone every night while I'm sleeping. I do have a complaint about having to charge it during the day. Others don't mind this.

I think RIM has probably taken a stance similar to mine: A "serious" phone should be able to make it through the entire waking day on a single charge. The 9700 and 9780 could go considerably longer than that, but that was a bonus. So they allowed the 9900 battery to be smaller, in the belief that the device would still be able to get a complete day's use on a single charge.

The trouble is, in order for this to happen, people have to learn to pay attention to things that they could previously ignore.

It's going on 10:30 pm now. I took the phone off the charger at 6:30 am, almost 16 hours ago. My battery is at 53%. If it drops to 52% by 10:30, that'll be an average discharge rate of 3%/hour for the whole day. I had only three or four calls today, mostly short, but one was about a half hour. I got about 30 emails, wrote a couple of mails, checked my RSS feeds a dozen or so times, read a Kindle book for an hour, and that's about all. BeWeather updates once an hour; all other apps are on manual update. I was in the gym for a half hour, and while in there I shut the radios off. I was in my office for a half day, and reception in there is poor. I keep it on 2G when I'm in there. I keep the screen brightness on 10% and I exit out of apps that I'm finished with.

Some people claim that using data compression in storage memory increases battery drain because the CPU has to do more work every time it reads or writes a file. I don't know if there's anything to this, but I always have compression turned off anyway. I imagine a similar point could be made about encryption, but I really have no idea how much difference these things make. I haven't experimented, and keep encryption turned off anyway.
    Last edited by ubizmo; 01-04-12 at 09:30 PM.
    01-04-12 09:28 PM
    In my opinion, my 9780 had ridiculous battery life--so much that I was able to ignore the whole issue. The 9900 can't duplicate that, and there's no reason to expect it to.

But after a very hard start, I'm getting battery life that I wouldn't call "amazing" but I'd definitely consider very good--especially in comparison with the Android phones I've tried (Moto Defy and LG G2x).

For me, the minimum acceptable battery life is to be able to take it off the charger in the morning and put it on the charger when I go to bed, 16-18 hours later, without being on the ragged edge of shutting down. I have no complaint about having to charge a phone every night while I'm sleeping. I do have a complaint about having to charge it during the day. Others don't mind this.

I think RIM has probably taken a stance similar to mine: A "serious" phone should be able to make it through the entire waking day on a single charge. The 9700 and 9780 could go considerably longer than that, but that was a bonus. So they allowed the 9900 battery to be smaller, in the belief that the device would still be able to get a complete day's use on a single charge.

The trouble is, in order for this to happen, people have to learn to pay attention to things that they could previously ignore.

It's going on 10:30 pm now. I took the phone off the charger at 6:30 am, almost 16 hours ago. My battery is at 53%. If it drops to 52% by 10:30, that'll be an average discharge rate of 3%/hour for the whole day. I had only three or four calls today, mostly short, but one was about a half hour. I got about 30 emails, wrote a couple of mails, checked my RSS feeds a dozen or so times, read a Kindle book for an hour, and that's about all. BeWeather updates once an hour; all other apps are on manual update. I was in the gym for a half hour, and while in there I shut the radios off. I was in my office for a half day, and reception in there is poor. I keep it on 2G when I'm in there. I keep the screen brightness on 10% and I exit out of apps that I'm finished with.

Some people claim that using data compression in storage memory increases battery drain because the CPU has to do more work every time it reads or writes a file. I don't know if there's anything to this, but I always have compression turned off anyway. I imagine a similar point could be made about encryption, but I really have no idea how much difference these things make. I haven't experimented, and keep encryption turned off anyway.
    I agree with all of the above...though I'm not quite getting the performance you are. I'm at 30% and getting ready for bed after a 17hr day. This is acceptable to me, considering it was a moderately heavy usage day with 8 phone calls, music on all day, location on, wi-fi off. Rode the subway a lot...so probably a lot of signal searching too. I use the Nokia charger for 7 hrs while I sleep, and I ran the phone dead the other night to "calibrate" the battery. If this performance continues, I'm a happy camper. I'm running OS.576
    01-04-12 10:48 PM
    This thread shouldn't even be here in the first place. Each have different usage.

I have 9 email accounts pushing, delivering 2000+ a day from various mailing list. I have 800 odd contacts on blackberry messenger. Half of it are clients from various countries.

I also have 10 groups 8 of which are extremely active, discussing various things from play to work.

So yeah, can not compare, as each have own usage.

ifraser likes this.
    01-05-12 04:00 AM
    Yeah battey life is worse compare to last gen device,cause the lower capacity and higher performance ,so don't expect too much in getting better battery life ,for me it can walk me through a day with light to moderate use,I also have ss galaxy note ,it also not much differnt battery life compare to 9900,have to charge it once a day like. My bold
    01-05-12 04:16 AM
    I also have 8 Active email accounts with 100+ Emails a day, social apps and 2 very active BBM Groups, No special apps beyond that,

So battery life will go up and down depending on signal strength in your area.

No one can claim to have amazing battery life, until RIM provide an OS with better
    battery saving.
    01-05-12 06:10 AM
    I also have 8 Active email accounts with 100+ Emails a day, social apps and 2 very active BBM Groups, No special apps beyond that,

So battery life will go up and down depending on signal strength in your area.

No one can claim to have amazing battery life, until RIM provide an OS with better
    battery saving.
    Ill take this ooportunity to claim that I get amazing battery life I'm very curious what you guys are doing with your phones. Perhaps its thr 1000+ emails you are getting pushed to your phone daily (might wanna turn the filter on for that one, just a word of advice). I feel like my 9900 is glued to my hand and I still don't sweat going out without a charger. As long as its charged from the night before, I usually go all day, assuming I'm not travelling.
    01-05-12 07:47 AM
    The 1000+ comment was directed at Zocster
    01-05-12 07:51 AM
    Zoc is a high end user, but apart from the People I know that are high end users like Zoc I have numerous normal folk that just use their phones for everyday life that I am trying to help due to them having the same issue with battery, No one has a perfect fix for it yet.
    Some of these people dont even use their 9900 for email.

And these people range from as far off as Africa right back to the UK.

Blackberries are made for email, if they cant handle 1000+ emails then there is an issue. Its a fact.
    01-05-12 07:58 AM
    Zoc is a high end user, but apart from the People I know that are high end users like Zoc I have numerous normal folk that just use their phones for everyday life that I am trying to help due to them having the same issue with battery, No one has a perfect fix for it yet.

Blackberries are made for email, if they cant handle 1000+ emails then there is an issue. Its a fact.

I only have 4 email accounts at the moment, less than 30 bbm contacts and no groups. Social feeds, berryweather and facebook on a regular update interval.

To your point, I recognize that you have a lot more going on which would explain the shorter batt life, but I in no way consider myself a light user and have no problems getting 24hr+, so I have issue with the earlier comments suggesting that 24hrs is not attainable on anything other than 2G or while on idle. That is simply a false assumption.
    01-05-12 08:34 AM

Haha, yeah its a fact. But whether or not its true is debatable. Your response really didn't say anything that you hadn't already said. Although, if these users are so far away from you, it would seem difficult to really fix their "problems". Reallistically, they could have apps running in the background, its kinda hard to know when you don't have then phone in hand. That, and the fact that the avg user is tech-challenged
    01-05-12 08:49 AM
    I only have 4 email accounts at the moment, less than 30 bbm contacts and no groups. Social feeds, berryweather and facebook on a regular update interval.

To your point, I recognize that you have a lot more going on which would explain the shorter batt life, but I in no way consider myself a light user and have no problems getting 24hr+, so I have issue with the earlier comments suggesting that 24hrs is not attainable on anything other than 2G or while on idle. That is simply a false assumption.
    That's ok. I get what you mean, so all the other users throughout the world that are having issues with their battery are all making it up?

Both experts and new users havebeen complaining so if you get 24+hrs out of your battery then you are both very lucky, and in the minority.
    01-05-12 09:11 AM
    No one is suggesting that people aren't getting poor battery life. We are just saying, its probably user error
    01-05-12 09:27 AM
    I have to agree my battery life has gotten worse. I have tried all of the OS's and was on 7.1 and got the worst battery life on the leaked 7.1. I did a few tests and took it off the charger at 1 am and went to bed and by 6 am i was down to 50%. That to me is unacceptable. My battery drain was 30%/hr maximum, lowest was 1.4% and average was 7.1%.

I now loaded 7.0.585 that is the rogers one and as soon as I take it off the charger I am down to 92% within a few minutes. The maximum I lost was 26%/hr and lowest was 2%, right now the average is 6% so it is better than 7.1.
    i have done a few tests, I can be sitting at 70% and I was on BBM for 5 minutes and lost 5% of battery life. I lose about 1% every 2 minutes.

I have tried 2 batteries and same issue, I even removed all the apps and did a fresh install and same issue. So I am beginning to think I have a hardware issue.

Some will say maybe where I am, I may be bouncing between two towers but this happens in all locations. Even on 2g my drainage is the same.

I should add this is a replacement device as the old one stopped reading memory cards and the touch screen died.
    01-05-12 09:58 AM
    I have to agree my battery life has gotten worse. I have tried all of the OS's and was on 7.1 and got the worst battery life on the leaked 7.1. I did a few tests and took it off the charger at 1 am and went to bed and by 6 am i was down to 50%. That to me is unacceptable. My battery drain was 30%/hr maximum, lowest was 1.4% and average was 7.1%.

I now loaded 7.0.585 that is the rogers one and as soon as I take it off the charger I am down to 92% within a few minutes. The maximum I lost was 26%/hr and lowest was 2%, right now the average is 6% so it is better than 7.1.
    i have done a few tests, I can be sitting at 70% and I was on BBM for 5 minutes and lost 5% of battery life. I lose about 1% every 2 minutes.

I have tried 2 batteries and same issue, I even removed all the apps and did a fresh install and same issue. So I am beginning to think I have a hardware issue.

Some will say maybe where I am, I may be bouncing between two towers but this happens in all locations. Even on 2g my drainage is the same.

I should add this is a replacement device as the old one stopped reading memory cards and the touch screen died.
    The 100%-92% drop is a known issue with recent OS'.

Have you been doing a full restore each time you try a new OS or wipe and running from scratch?
    01-05-12 10:07 AM
    The 1000+ comment was directed at Zocster

Hahaha yeah I could turn filter on, then I wouldn't get all the juicy stuff when it counts.

That said, its definitely down to individual. What can I say, I use data, I get allocated 3gb a month and I feel its a sin not using it

01-05-12 10:13 AM
    But Zoc, are you using your phone right?

Are you standing on your head, right next to a cell tower all day. And turning the signal off when not in use?
    01-05-12 10:18 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD