I've barely had my BlackBerry Bold 9900 for about 2 months and I am running into the issue of my battery dying completely after minimal use. Here are the 2 most common break downs:

#1: Charged on wall charger overnight. Listened to Pandora for an hour (straight) while sending a lengthy email. During that hour I also sent 2 texts, checked into a few spots using yelp and of course checked facebook a few times. About 2 hours after that, my phone died completely.

#2: Charged for 8 hours on wall charger. Used internet browser for about an hour (off an on), checked facebook a few times, read email and watched about 15 minutes of YouTube. After about 3 hours of total use, my red light was flashing for a dead battery.

What's the deal? There is no way I can bring my wall charger everywhere I go, and my car charger outlet doesn't work in my car.

And lastly, I've often run into a page that says something like "ERROR, the page you are looking for is currently busy" . Mind you, my phone is my only source of internet while away from work.

I am getting really frustrated and almost want to switch phones ...
    01-03-12 10:41 AM
    I mean this in the nicest way possible, but it is quite possibly user error... I have [I]fantastic[I] battery life on my 9900. Try fully closing apps when you are done with them. Turn off wifi/bt when you're not using them, turn the backlight down, screen timeout down... There are more tricks, just look around into any of the multitude of battery l;ife threads...
    wolfee48 likes this.
    01-03-12 10:50 AM
    What OS are you on?
    Did you do a device switch from an older BB when you get your 99xx?
    01-03-12 11:22 AM
    I mean this in the nicest way possible, but it is quite possibly user error... I have [I]fantastic[I] battery life on my 9900. Try fully closing apps when you are done with them. Turn off wifi/bt when you're not using them, turn the backlight down, screen timeout down... There are more tricks, just look around into any of the multitude of battery l;ife threads...
    No worries, no offense taken. I do ensure to close my apps after using them and have modified the backlight and screen time out.
    Could you possibly explain more about turning wifi/bt off? I will admit- I am not savy with Wifi at all. I thought that if I kept the Wifi on it would increase my internet speed ...
    01-03-12 11:42 AM
    What OS are you on?
    Did you do a device switch from an older BB when you get your 99xx?
    Whats an OS ?
    Hmm ... about the device switch , well I spent 2 days at the T Mobile store when i 1st got the phone and they 'transferred' all my data from my previous phone ...
    Is that the same thing?
    01-03-12 11:45 AM
    Did you try a battery pull?
    01-03-12 11:58 AM
    If they transferred your programs off your old phone, this may be your problem. Some older programs did not work well on OS7. I ran into battery problems on a 9810 by bringing my old programs over using the device switch option.

It is better to download fresh copies of the programs from Appworld. Appworld will only give you programs compatible with your device.
    01-03-12 11:59 AM
    Whats an OS ?
    Hmm ... about the device switch , well I spent 2 days at the T Mobile store when i 1st got the phone and they 'transferred' all my data from my previous phone ...
    Is that the same thing?
    Go to options-->device-->about device versions.

Line 3 is your OS.

Which device do you have? 9930 or 9900?
    01-03-12 12:01 PM
    Why waiting then buy one more device with less battery.
    iphone/ android or any smartphone with big specs with give low battery life as compared to 97xx.
    Better is to buy extra JM-1 battery.
    Don't buy 5000mAmp chinese battery.
    01-03-12 12:03 PM
    Whats an OS ?
    Is that the same thing?
    OS is the Operating System. RIM regularly updates the OS for each phone with small enhancements and bug fixes among other changes. There are many tutorials around here on how to update your device, and if you haven't done so I definitely recommend updating from the stock OS the phone comes with. You'll have to do some searching to see what the latest available is...

By 'transferred' I mean moving your data from a previous BlackBerry onto the new one. Did you have a BlackBerry before this one or is this your 1st? Besides your contacts, messages, calendar apts and basic settings it is not recommended that you do a full restore from an older device - this could cause your battery issues.

You can take a look here for a list of battery Tips and Tricks http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-tips-644519/

Just keep in mind that 3hrs is way off, and disabling your WiFi is not going to make much of a difference. I'd suspect that something messed up during the initial transfer or a 3rd party app that you've installed. Your best shot is to load a newer OS.

As a guide you should be getting at a minimum 12hrs with mid-heavy usage (I get about 24hrs with medium usage).

Good luck. And if you're stuck use the search function - failing that, post here.
    Airrr likes this.
    01-03-12 12:09 PM
    Did you try a battery pull?
    Yes, on both occasions ..
    01-03-12 12:41 PM
    If they transferred your programs off your old phone, this may be your problem. Some older programs did not work well on OS7. I ran into battery problems on a 9810 by bringing my old programs over using the device switch option.

It is better to download fresh copies of the programs from Appworld. Appworld will only give you programs compatible with your device.
    Ah Ha ! Thank you for the explanation. The answer is no . When I upgraded my phone initially I switched from Blackberry to Android and after 2 days with the Android I wanted Blackberry again, so I got the 9900 which was pretty darn brand new at the time.
    Therefore, none of my apps transferred. I downloaded all new apps from Appworld with this new Blackberry.
    01-03-12 12:43 PM
    You should really call and get a replacement battery. Even with your usage, it should last much much longer.

Sent from my Big Red BlackBerry 9930
    01-03-12 12:53 PM
    If you're wifi or bluetooth is not connected to anything, the radios will drain your battery faster. I use an app call quicklaunch to 1-click my wif/bt on/off
    01-03-12 06:23 PM
    If you're wifi or bluetooth is not connected to anything, the radios will drain your battery faster. I use an app call quicklaunch to 1-click my wif/bt on/off
    Same here... Quicklaunch works wonders.
    01-03-12 06:28 PM
    I've barely had my BlackBerry Bold 9900 for about 2 months and I am running into the issue of my battery dying completely after minimal use. Here are the 2 most common break downs:

#1: Charged on wall charger overnight. Listened to Pandora for an hour (straight) while sending a lengthy email. During that hour I also sent 2 texts, checked into a few spots using yelp and of course checked facebook a few times. About 2 hours after that, my phone died completely.

#2: Charged for 8 hours on wall charger. Used internet browser for about an hour (off an on), checked facebook a few times, read email and watched about 15 minutes of YouTube. After about 3 hours of total use, my red light was flashing for a dead battery.

What's the deal? There is no way I can bring my wall charger everywhere I go, and my car charger outlet doesn't work in my car.

And lastly, I've often run into a page that says something like "ERROR, the page you are looking for is currently busy" . Mind you, my phone is my only source of internet while away from work.

I am getting really frustrated and almost want to switch phones ...
    That is the story of my life, my moms life, and sisters life. We all have this phone and it drains rapidly! Its just a flaw in the 9900. It's impossible to go 24 hours without charging this pricey bad boy.... i charge it every night, its full in the morning, and by evening its pretty much gone... sux. (with normal use btw... a few phone calls, texts, checking emails, maybe a google map use, a few pics of my hilarious dog, but no games or music or major app use)

I am also thinking about switching phones b/c of the many flaws of this phone. I love that it has the trackpad, touchscreen, and keyboard, but the bad is starting to outweigh the good at this point. I really do think blackberry released this phone way too soon, they didn't iron out the kinks... the many many kinks (frozen screen, fuzzy calls, blacked out camera, sd card/battery issue, etc).
    Last edited by lavieenrose318; 01-04-12 at 08:06 AM.
    01-03-12 10:04 PM
    yup. it is indeed a flaw. they shrunk the battery for the thin profile.
    01-04-12 12:11 AM
    That is the story my life, my moms life, and sisters life. We all have this phone and it drains rapidly! Its just a flaw in the 9900. It's impossible to go 24 hours without charging this pricey bad boy.... i charge it every night, its full in the morning, and by evening its pretty much gone... sux.

I am also thinking about switching phones b/c of the many flaws of this phone. I love that it has the trackpad, touchscreen, and keyboard, but the bad is starting to outweigh the good at this point. I really do think blackberry released this phone way too soon, they didn't iron out the kinks... the many many kinks.
    I can easliy go beyond 24 hours.... no flaw here.
    01-04-12 12:14 AM
    Hi..

there is one app with name of amazon..in media..delete that app..after that your battery life will get increase..

exploit
    01-04-12 12:25 AM
    Hi..

there is one app with name of amazon..in media..delete that app..after that your battery life will get increase..

exploit
    i don't have an amazon app.... did that app come standard with the phone or did it transfer over from your last one?

i actually don't have any downloaded apps except for google maps which is standard
    01-04-12 08:10 AM
    As you appear to be a newbie i had better explain that the battery issue is something that everyone is getting,

There are several people that claim to have amazing battery life, which is rubbish, I have ran every single OS that has been released and leaked on my 9900 and none give
    you the amazing life claimed. Unless they arent using the handset all day, or running it
    at 2g when the phone is made for 3G+

You need to keep an eye on the forums as we are waiting for RIM to release an OS with a magic solution but might not happen straight away.

I am currently running an OS 7.1 Hybrid and it has to be the best battery life since i got my hangset.
    01-04-12 08:18 AM
    Also please note that some people claiming to get over 24hrs are using 9930`s which have a released version of OS 7.1

Apart from the battery life the 9900 is a great handset, not found one flaw yet.

Touch Screen adds that wee bit extra from the trackpad control and it has smooth web browsing due to the processor speed.
    Last edited by ifraser; 01-04-12 at 08:22 AM.
    01-04-12 08:19 AM
    As you appear to be a newbie i had better explain that the battery issue is something that everyone is getting,

There are several people that claim to have amazing battery life, which is rubbish, I have ran every single OS that has been released and leaked on my 9900 and none give
    you the amazing life claimed. Unless they arent using the handset all day, or running it
    at 2g when the phone is made for 3G+

You need to keep an eye on the forums as we are waiting for RIM to release an OS with a magic solution but might not happen straight away.

I am currently running an OS 7.1 Hybrid and it has to be the best battery life since i got my hangset.
    I have no complaints with battery life and I'm on 4G (aka H+). No issue making it around 24hrs with mod usage.

FYI: The "magical" updated OS from RIM ppl are talking about has not bearing on battery life. It is supposed to correct the so-called "bricking" issue.
    01-04-12 03:39 PM
    I can easliy go beyond 24 hours.... no flaw here.
    I can bet 10000 $ that you are not using that phone.
    Your standby time is useless.
    01-04-12 03:43 PM
    Thanks for that update, you seem to be a lucky one with battery life.

The RIM update was within the OS's that have been released. The bricking issue was only certain batches it seems. And the battery life is one of many issues being addressed.

7.1 is supposed to be a huge improvement and running this hybrid for 2 days has definetely shown a great improvement in battery but never 24 hrs. And that's on 3G+ also.
    01-04-12 03:47 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD