Here is a quote and my answer I want everyone to see.

It's a shame about the batery life. One of the reasons a lot of folks said they'd always stay with BlackBerry is the battery life.

Now it seems the 99xx are on par with iPhone and the newer Androids.
    I don't want to sound irritating or some ambassador for blackberry but I don't see the problem everyone is having with the battery life. My device lasts me over 12 hours. I believe the reason is because I never refrain from charging the battery correctly. If anyone wants me to prove it I will. I just don't know how to prove it. A video won't do it.

I'm not saying everyone makes a mistake but I'm sure most do. They take their phones pop it on the charger the very first time they get it, and take it off again long before time allows the device to obtain a full charge. The issues concerning this device are issues I don't see.

Maybe I'm lucky. I don't know. But I don't have any complaints about my blackberry. Maybe I have to wait a few more weeks since I received my 9930 on the 31st of december. I love this phone and it works for me. I take it off the charger in the morning, and plug it in sometime before bed so that I can take it off the charger when its finished so that I don't harm the battery.

I put the phone on bedside mode, wake up the next morning and start my day.

I don't have any complaints. I'm sorry for those of you who do. I do care about everyone elses battery life because crackberry is part of the blackberry experience for me. I wish android didn't exist and everyone was still here, but feel like we'll never have that again

Just wanted to give my input.

If you don't want to believe me fine. But look at my posts. Just 350 in 3 years. I wouldn't waste my life posting something that wasn't true.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-09-12 08:52 AM
    Here is a quote and my answer I want everyone to see.

I don't want to sound irritating or some ambassador for blackberry but I don't see the problem everyone is having with the battery life. My device lasts me over 12 hours. I believe the reason is because I never refrain from charging the battery correctly. If anyone wants me to prove it I will. I just don't know how to prove it. A video won't do it.

I'm not saying everyone makes a mistake but I'm sure most do. They take their phones pop it on the charger the very first time they get it, and take it off again long before time allows the device to obtain a full charge. The issues concerning this device are issues I don't see.

Maybe I'm lucky. I don't know. But I don't have any complaints about my blackberry. Maybe I have to wait a few more weeks since I received my 9930 on the 31st of december. I love this phone and it works for me. I take it off the charger in the morning, and plug it in sometime before bed so that I can take it off the charger when its finished so that I don't harm the battery.

I put the phone on bedside mode, wake up the next morning and start my day.

I don't have any complaints. I'm sorry for those of you who do. I do care about everyone elses battery life because crackberry is part of the blackberry experience for me. I wish android didn't exist and everyone was still here, but feel like we'll never have that again

Just wanted to give my input.

If you don't want to believe me fine. But look at my posts. Just 350 in 3 years. I wouldn't waste my life posting something that wasn't true.

Battery life actually depends on quite a few factors, not just charging practices. Not to say that charging habits don't affect things - they do, and quite a bit. In support of this, I charge mine same as you. On the charger before I go to sleep, goes into bedside mode. At a set time it shuts off, and turns back on in the morning before I wake up. Mine will go from 8am to midnight with over 30% left on a routine basis.
    01-09-12 10:42 AM
    Mine can last over 18 hours of usage then it's back on the charger before I go to bed. The other day it went from 241 am to 815 pm and it was at 29 percent for that. I never let it get below 20. I don't use bedside mode and I have the auto on/off feature to where I have it assigned to turn off at 2am and then on at 11 am.
    01-09-12 10:56 AM
    See I'm not the only one getting really good battery life. Society just loves bad news. Good news is never good enough, or they all bash it and say its a lie. Glad I found people people like me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-12 11:29 AM
    Batteery life is good for me also, easily get 12 hrs out of it depending on usage. I just think most people are use to a 9700 which lasted a lot longer but I'll take the performance gains. Not to mention how much faster it charges then a 9700 also. 9900 is the best device yet and I'm sure it'll only get better with OS7.1
    01-09-12 11:35 AM
    Battery life is better on 7.0.374, after downgrading from 7.1 (sprint) on my 9930. With 7.1, i was sure to be south of 50% before lunch, now I'm good until I get home from work, topping it off on my commute home. Still way better than my 9550 ever was.
    01-09-12 11:43 AM
    I get up at 5:00 a.m. and have about 20% left by 9 or 10 p.m.... I have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on all the time (I have a PlayBook).

I'm happy.
    01-09-12 12:02 PM
    I am a very strong believer that battery life is always user dependent. It seems that most of us who charge overnight and then use through out the day with a quick charge when needed have no complaints about battery life.
    01-09-12 12:09 PM
    I am thinking some of the battery life problems may be carrier or cellular radio related. On Friday I installed the latest 7.1.0.190 leak and didn't notice any big change in battery. I charged overnight and used it all Saturday including a trip to the ski hill. By the time I put it on to charge Saturday night, it was still averaging the 3-3.5% loss per hour I normally get. I just take 100% and subtract the current battery percentage and divide it by the hours since it comes off the charger to find the average drop per hour.

On Sunday, I was home all day and the phone was on UDMA, which means the wireless radio is off. My average usage after about 14 hours was about 1.9% per hour. This is a lot lower than my normal 3%. My guess is that the wireless radio and wireless coverage plays a big role in battery consumption.
    01-09-12 12:31 PM
    I am thinking some of the battery life problems may be carrier or cellular radio related. On Friday I installed the latest 7.1.0.190 leak and didn't notice any big change in battery. I charged overnight and used it all Saturday including a trip to the ski hill. By the time I put it on to charge Saturday night, it was still averaging the 3-3.5% loss per hour I normally get. I just take 100% and subtract the current battery percentage and divide it by the hours since it comes off the charger to find the average drop per hour.

On Sunday, I was home all day and the phone was on UDMA, which means the wireless radio is off. My average usage after about 14 hours was about 1.9% per hour. This is a lot lower than my normal 3%. My guess is that the wireless radio and wireless coverage plays a big role in battery consumption.
    You would be correct.
    01-09-12 12:45 PM
    RIM is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

One of the reasons they didn't update the processor and screen resolution on the original Torch (9800), was for battery life - then everyone tore them a new one for it. So they finally go ahead and do just that, at the cost of battery life, and what happens - everyone rips them up over it.

People have to realize that with the current state of hardware you can't have your cake and eat it too...
    01-09-12 12:57 PM
    I see people putting 12 hours....18 hours ect....

Are these usage numbers or standby? If you guys are getting 12 hours of usage

I'll be lucky to get 5-6 hours of usage on the 4S
    01-09-12 12:59 PM
    I see people putting 12 hours....18 hours ect....

Are these usage numbers or standby? If you guys are getting 12 hours of usage

Click to view quoted image

I'll be lucky to get 5-6 hours of usage on the 4S
    4s is a different OS/platform. To the other question, I expect and get a day's use (20 hours) from my 9930, and likewise for my previous BlackBerry's.
    01-09-12 01:07 PM
    4s is a different OS/platform. To the other question, I expect and get a day's use (20 hours) from my 9930, and likewise for my previous BlackBerry's.
    Granted its a different os/platform......but that usage is not heavy usage.....in fact its pretty much light use.
    01-09-12 01:32 PM
    Granted its a different os/platform......but that usage is not heavy usage.....in fact its pretty much light use.
    Again, that's a different platform. I don't own nor use an iPhone of any type so I don't know anything about "normal" battery life and would be making a bad comparison if I were to pit it against a BlackBerry, which I am familiar with. I can tell you that you get less than the four of my friends with iPhones, however. The one with a 4S also uses a BlackBerry for work.
    sam81 likes this.
    01-09-12 01:42 PM
    I charge my phone overnight while I'm sleeping. With a couple of acceptions, I take the phone off the charger at 7am and often make it to 9pm before my phone has 20% remaining. On especially heavy days (lots of phopne calls, web surfing) I will occasionally hit 20% by late afternoon and re-charge just to be safe.

But overall, my battery life is good to great and I'm surprised some people have the issues they do. I do wonder about signal coverage as I've heard this can zap the battery quickly. I'm on Verizon which has pretty great coverage where ever I go, so maybe this helps. I also make sure to close apps out when possible. But again, battery seems fine to me and I charge while I sleep every night so don't really need a battery to last more than one day.

I heard within a couple of years that all phone batteries will last something like 5 days on one charge because of new technology. Sounds like we just have to be patient!
    Last edited by StumptownBold; 01-09-12 at 01:48 PM.
    01-09-12 01:44 PM
    My battery life fine after going crazy for 2 months. I didn't use to care, I didn't even check the battery icon. but now, I have meter berry installed and I am monitoring my battery life every minute!!
    01-09-12 01:52 PM
    I've had mine for 3 days now. I fully drained then fully charged (with the phone off, of course) it but after the first drain it improved. When I first got it, it died within hours. I charged it fully then took it to work. From 10am-3pm it was around 30%. I figured I'd do the draining and full recharge...

Today I did a second draining. After 10 minutes of turning it on and going on BBM and receiving some e-mails, my battery life was at 90%.

I have my GPS location off, WiFi off, Bluetooth off. My sound profile is configured so that its sounds are quieter than the medium level. I always have the default 5 applications open, and I close the ones I don't use. I make my Twitter for Blackberry refresh every 30 minutes. My light is at 10% brightness and the automatic dim is at 20s.

I don't know what else to do. It's not my first Blackberry, so I'm pretty sure I'm not missing anything.
    bdm7c likes this.
    01-09-12 01:55 PM
    Again, that's a different platform. I don't own nor use an iPhone of any type so I don't know anything about "normal" battery life and would be making a bad comparison if I were to pit it against a BlackBerry, which I am familiar with. I can tell you that you get less than the four of my friends with iPhones, however. The one with a 4S also uses a BlackBerry for work.

Again, granted it is a different platform. however, for a device not to have true multitasking capabilities and have a lot less battery life is baffling. Keep in mind I rarely browse the web, I don't play games, not a lot of picture taking, I don't chat on the phone daily. I probably have 7 apps installed on my device.....

Everyday is not like this....I would say half the time. However, on days where usage is very limited, you would think the phone would last 2 days or so.

Point is......if your getting 12+ hours of usage out the 9900 regardless of usage, thats
    bruteforce037 likes this.
    01-09-12 01:58 PM
    It's nice to see some realistic one day usage details for a BB. I get fed up with people claiming they get days out of it.

In the week I disconnect my phone from the charger at around 8am, and it lasts until late evening, normally until I go to bed between 10pm and 12midnight. I'm very lazy, leave the phone in 2G/3G mode, WiFi on (connected at home and office), bluetooth on (only connects in the car).

Yesterday I had to make a road trip, I covered 150 miles in 2 1/2 hours (almost all motorway) and had disconnected at the normal time, and the radio had shut off by approximately 2pm (less than half the normal time) and as I had been driving I the phone will have had less than average usage. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm sure I had it with my 9700 (mostly running OS6) as well.
    I did check some locations on BBmaps, but not until 10:30, and I'm pretty sure I had closed it. I connected my phone to the car charger for the return journey at 3pm, the phone was about half charged by the time I got home, and lasted me until bed with minimal discharge.
    01-09-12 04:21 PM
    It's nice to see some realistic one day usage details for a BB. I get fed up with people claiming they get days out of it.

In the week I disconnect my phone from the charger at around 8am, and it lasts until late evening, normally until I go to bed between 10pm and 12midnight. I'm very lazy, leave the phone in 2G/3G mode, WiFi on (connected at home and office), bluetooth on (only connects in the car).

Yesterday I had to make a road trip, I covered 150 miles in 2 1/2 hours (almost all motorway) and had disconnected at the normal time, and the radio had shut off by approximately 2pm (less than half the normal time) and as I had been driving I the phone will have had less than average usage. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm sure I had it with my 9700 (mostly running OS6) as well.
    I did check some locations on BBmaps, but not until 10:30, and I'm pretty sure I had closed it. I connected my phone to the car charger for the return journey at 3pm, the phone was about half charged by the time I got home, and lasted me until bed with minimal discharge.

The reason I would think your battery died so fast was BECAUSE you were driving. As far as I know (not being sarcastic) going 70mph means your passing several wireless towers every minute. The phone has to stay connected and the towers keep changing because you move past them so quickly. Battery....depleted. lol. Idk, just a guess.

01-09-12 04:42 PM

One of the reasons they didn't update the processor and screen resolution on the original Torch (9800), was for battery life - then everyone tore them a new one for it. So they finally go ahead and do just that, at the cost of battery life, and what happens - everyone rips them up over it.

People have to realize that with the current state of hardware you can't have your cake and eat it too...

You certainly just hit the nail on the head with that one. No one ever said they had great battery life on the 9900 until this thread. At least not many people.

01-09-12 04:43 PM
    I've had mine for 3 days now. I fully drained then fully charged (with the phone off, of course) it but after the first drain it improved. When I first got it, it died within hours. I charged it fully then took it to work. From 10am-3pm it was around 30%. I figured I'd do the draining and full recharge...

Today I did a second draining. After 10 minutes of turning it on and going on BBM and receiving some e-mails, my battery life was at 90%.

I have my GPS location off, WiFi off, Bluetooth off. My sound profile is configured so that its sounds are quieter than the medium level. I always have the default 5 applications open, and I close the ones I don't use. I make my Twitter for Blackberry refresh every 30 minutes. My light is at 10% brightness and the automatic dim is at 20s.

I don't know what else to do. It's not my first Blackberry, so I'm pretty sure I'm not missing anything.
    That initial drop is happening to a good many 99xx users. Me included. I quit using MeterBerry because it adds a curve to the overall drain rate. Meaning that, factoring the drop in, my drain rate would be 8% per hour which would equal out to about 10 hours usage. Which is false since I can go double that.
    01-09-12 04:56 PM

I disagree. They could have made the phone a couple of mm thicker with a bigger battery (and added the auto-focus lens), and I would be happy. They went for looks over function and that is just wrong imho.
    01-09-12 06:38 PM
    I just upgraded over the weekend to .190. Battery life is much improved for me. Of the charger at 700. BBM, text, email, calls,twitter, and browsing. As of 800pm I am at 40%. This is as compared to prob 30% on the current ATT build. I am very pleased.
    01-09-12 07:22 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD