Even more confusion now. I took the phone off the charger at 4:30 am. At 6:45 am I was down to 88% at a discharge rate of 12.3. Now at 7:30 I'm at 87% at a 4.3 discharge rate.

What would cause such a fluctuation in the middle of the night while not being used?

I probably shouldn't have bought meter berry and try to live in ignorance with the battery.
    12-11-11 07:45 AM
    As I mentioned a few posts back, yesterday I loaded the hybrid OS 7.0.0.585 with the .sfi file from 7.0.0.540. I noticed a small average drain rate drop, but not enough to be significant.

Last night, the phone went down to single digits charge, but not all the way to shut-off, when I put it on the Nokia charger.

It's been off the charger for a few hours this morning, and I've even done a single battery pull. The ADR has been around 4% so far. I've read a few emails and updated Go Reader once, but that's about it. It's on 4G, too.

I'll keep an eye on it through the day, but this is a promising start.
    12-11-11 07:46 AM
    I had bad battery life so I exchanged my battery from korea/china to japan/indonesia and installed .540 + I didn't restore anything from my previous backup on the first day it lasted 16 hours and right now am charging it with usb through PC pending when I buy a nokia 550mAh battery, but from what others are saying slower charging = better battery life my phone would last more than 16 hours today (at least I hope so)
    12-11-11 08:04 AM
    I've done that. When I do, battery drain drops to 3-4% per hour, even with the phone completely idle, screen dark, etc. That seems high to me, but I have no idea what's causing it.
    Wow I left mine idle over night, radio and wifi on, and my drain was at 1% (went from 99+ to 88%).
    12-11-11 08:07 AM
    So...I have been getting an hourly discharge rate of between 8.5 and 10%. This morning I left wifi on (which typically I never have on) and the discharge rate went to 4.5%

??
    12-11-11 09:30 AM
    I have wifi on always at home. So for me to get 12% drain from 4:30 in the morning to 7:30 is unacceptable to me. Luckily it leveled out some....but overall. Get from 6am to 6pm max and it's dead. I want more!
    12-11-11 10:13 AM
    Nothing wrong with a nice high discharge rate

emirozmen and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    12-11-11 10:24 AM
    Nothing wrong with a nice high discharge rate

Click to view quoted image
    HOLY Berry****!! (Excuse the language) Now give that some time to settle in and see where that takes you. Hopefully it'll be much much less next time.
    12-11-11 10:31 AM
    HOLY Berry****!! (Excuse the language) Now give that some time to settle in and see where that takes you. Hopefully it'll be much much less next time.
    So 1 hour from fully charged to empty isn't normal then?
    12-11-11 10:35 AM
    That's 10% draining ?
    12% drained over 12 hours equals 1%/hour, all the talk about battery drain is about hour so I thought??
    Last edited by EECGeek; 12-11-11 at 10:46 AM.
    12-11-11 10:38 AM
    NOoOoOoOoooooooope. That is never ever a good thing. Photonicinduction would have brought out his hammer or subjected it to 300kv, gradually, until it was popped.

Was it a new, or used battery? I wonder what my ratio is... Somewhat about 3-6 hours. It varies with usage. I wonder what it'll be like with the phat battery I ordered. Just waiting on that darn thing to arrive.
    12-11-11 10:40 AM
    How do you post screen shots? So I can share my meter berry stats?
    12-11-11 11:04 AM
    How do you post screen shots? So I can share my meter berry stats?
    Either use yfrog (aka imageshack), then use [img] ##[/img] to quote the link. It's quite easy to do. FileScoutlite has that feature, so does CaptureIt and a few others, even BBSAK can do it.
    12-11-11 11:06 AM
    Am starting to like my 9900 because the battery life is getting better
    On my second day of a new battery with .540 installed on the first day I got 16 hours on the second day I charged it through USB, I removed it by 4:20 and I checked by 5:30 still at 100% now at 6:32 85% so far so good
    12-11-11 11:33 AM
    Phil 217% that's insane!

makes my 8-9% per hour look good, only its not.
    again today took off charge at 4.30am then mid-morning I had a friend call me and we chatted for 46 mins, had a few BBM`s and txt`s and I was in the red after the long call so back on charge for 2 hours.

came home at 1pm and was down to 40% so back on charge for the 3rd time in 1 day.

this is a joke, 3 charges in one day to get my phone threw 1 long call and a few txt`s and BBM`s!

its just not right!

still waiting for a replacement battery.
    12-11-11 12:04 PM
    If you are using PC/Lappy for CB, forward your snap to the PC/Lappy
    In quick reply below, click ‘Display the Upload from Photobucket’
    Select the image and you will find a link below the image something like [IMG]http.... Copy the link.
    Select Insert Image icon, a window will pop up. Paste the link..
    12-11-11 01:01 PM
    If you are reffering to my post, thank you.
    I was more cusrious on how to take a screen shot of the phone and paste it.
    I know how to post pics via a desktop or laptop using imageshack or by using the forum software, and as I write this I feel I am coming of snooty. Let me say in no way am I trying.
    I really do appreciate the info, I am just looking for some way to post screen shots.

Heck maybe I misread your post and I can do that...maybe I should read before I post

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-11 01:11 PM
    My god. Just downloaded meter berry and I am hoping the numbers are off since it hasn't adjusted to my device yet, or configure from a charge. Its been installed for about 10 min and says I have a 10.3% discharge rate.

That has to change, no??!!?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    In MeterBerry options you can reset the discharge rate, useful for times when you've done something outside your normal usage patterns.

That's AWESOME.

If you are reffering to my post, thank you.
    I was more cusrious on how to take a screen shot of the phone and paste it.
    I know how to post pics via a desktop or laptop using imageshack or by using the forum software, and as I write this I feel I am coming of snooty. Let me say in no way am I trying.
    I really do appreciate the info, I am just looking for some way to post screen shots.

Heck maybe I misread your post and I can do that...maybe I should read before I post

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You can use programs like CaptureIt or QuickLaunch on your device, or if you install BBSAK or BBMCP on your computer you can plug in your device and use them to take screenshots. From that point it's a simple matter of posting to an online repository such as Photobucket, Tinypic, or even use a DropBox or Skydrive link if you use cloud services. You can either put [IMG]photo"s link[/IMG] or click the "Insert Image" box above the textbox when posting.
    12-11-11 03:11 PM
    Hi,
    I'm running an old .296 but honestley I'm more a pessimistic guy and don't believe in hugh improvements in batterylife with just software upgrades.

I have 2% with wifi only, 3% with 2G and 5% with 3G hourly battery drain in "idle".

wifi+2G ~2.5% and wifi+3G 3-4%.

My solution is to use 2G as standard and only 3G if I need the speed. Always wifi if possible. I'm not really happy about it but have to do it.

Around 7am to 6pm I have sometimes 70% often 60% and also often 50% still on the device. But on bad days perhabs 30%.

Most of the time arrive later at home and for me it's important that I get to 11pm.

Without using 2G mainly it is too risky for my taste.

Even if I wouldn't used the device after 12 hours it would be down to 40%. As this never happens even on a not so busy day my device would be dead after 13 hours.

Of course 13 hours on a smartphone in use is ok, really the time has changed, (also I would wish for 2 or 3 days ) but for me in "idle" the 9900 just use to much power on 3G.

I have read a few pages of this thread of course and I just can not believe the 1-2% with moderate or even middle heavy use with 3G (or H+) I'm not saying I think this guys are lyers it's just I can not get it how this would be possible?

Of course all this tests and screenshots to proof (all the low and the high drains) are not really comparable as this would only be possible in the same place and time.

For me I have not the best network connection here. My provider use 2G and 3G and on some places 2G is bad and in other 3G. Overall it's medium and I have 2-4 of 5.

On some places the its "swichting the bars" very often wich of course drain more.

Overall in my opionion the battery is just to small. So all this nice things like "small" but high res display and ghz-cpu and gpu drains just to much % of the battery.

For my taste 3G drain to much. Perhabs the 3G chip is not the best one?

With all this possibilties a lot could go wrong and if an app is buggy and the cpu is 100% it will drain a lot power. And there is not much reserve that this does not impact.

On heavy usage my 9900 is dead after ~6 hours what I think is ok. With this I mean 6 hours non stop using the browser, calls and heavy email and im usage non stop.

For me the solution would have been at least a 1500mAh battery...

on the other hand I adjust and powering the BB everytime I have a chance to do it. 10 minutes (e.G. 40 to 80%) can bring back 10% battery, only the last 10% took longer than a minute per %, about 2 minutes I guess. (charger which comes with the device - I do not charge via pc/usb cable anymore.)
    Last edited by boldkeyboardholic; 12-11-11 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typos a lot and still be in it after...
    12-11-11 04:20 PM
    You should really think about getting a spare battery and swap every day. What you describes sounds like quite a hassle.
    12-11-11 05:12 PM
    Update: This morning I reported pretty good ADR for a few hours: 4% or so. Not long after that it crept back up to 7% and stayed there.

No phone calls. No web browsing. About a dozen emails came but I didn't read them until just a few minutes ago. In short, the 9900 sat on my desk most of the day, untouched. So, despite a promising start, there's no real improvement.

It's beyond me why the ADR would change that much with the phone just sitting there on standby. The fact that the signal remains at a steady -77dBm all day when I'm home would seem to indicate that the radio is working fine.

In any case, I'll update again if I get the replacement battery in time. My 14-day return window ends Friday.
    12-11-11 05:41 PM
    Update: This morning I reported pretty good ADR for a few hours: 4% or so. Not long after that it crept back up to 7% and stayed there.

No phone calls. No web browsing. About a dozen emails came but I didn't read them until just a few minutes ago. In short, the 9900 sat on my desk most of the day, untouched. So, despite a promising start, there's no real improvement.

It's beyond me why the ADR would change that much with the phone just sitting there on standby. The fact that the signal remains at a steady -77dBm all day when I'm home would seem to indicate that the radio is working fine.

In any case, I'll update again if I get the replacement battery in time. My 14-day return window ends Friday.
    This is just my opinion, but why not exchange your 9900 while you still have that window? If you're getting that high of a drain and it's doing absolutely nothing including not searching for a signal then you may have something amiss with the handset which a new battery isn't going to help with. If you then have the same issues with a different unit then perhaps getting a spare battery might be the answer, short of a completely different model. Again, just my .02.
    12-11-11 05:45 PM
    This is just my opinion, but why not exchange your 9900 while you still have that window? If you're getting that high of a drain and it's doing absolutely nothing including not searching for a signal then you may have something amiss with the handset which a new battery isn't going to help with. If you then have the same issues with a different unit then perhaps getting a spare battery might be the answer, short of a completely different model. Again, just my .02.
    Oh, I plan to try that as well. But as a general thing, they only do handset exchange in the case of a defective device. It's not clear that they will regard a daily battery life of 11 or so hours as a sign that the phone is defective. The option to exchange is part of the manufacturer's warranty and lasts a year. The opportunity to return a device for any reason at all only lasts 14 days. But sure, if I can get a handset exchange, and an extension of the 14-day window, I'll go for it. If not, I'll just go back to the 9780.

As boldkeyboardholic stated a few posts back, the times have changed. Maybe my expectations of having a working device from the time I get up in the morning until I go to bed are unrealistic. If so, then I'll just cling to the device that I know can do it until it doesn't work anymore, and then see what my options are. It'll be a shame, because the 9900 is a beautiful phone. But them's the breaks.
    12-11-11 06:10 PM
    Oh, I plan to try that as well. But as a general thing, they only do handset exchange in the case of a defective device. It's not clear that they will regard a daily battery life of 11 or so hours as a sign that the phone is defective. The option to exchange is part of the manufacturer's warranty and lasts a year. The opportunity to return a device for any reason at all only lasts 14 days. But sure, if I can get a handset exchange, and an extension of the 14-day window, I'll go for it. If not, I'll just go back to the 9780.

As boldkeyboardholic stated a few posts back, the times have changed. Maybe my expectations of having a working device from the time I get up in the morning until I go to bed are unrealistic. If so, then I'll just cling to the device that I know can do it until it doesn't work anymore, and then see what my options are. It'll be a shame, because the 9900 is a beautiful phone. But them's the breaks.
    I don't think your expectations are off-base. While there's a fair amount of threads complaining of poor battery life, there's easily as many with excellent mileage on their 99xx's. That being said, if you have only a little window to decide what you need, make the decision that's going to benefit you the most. Me being me, I would try for an extended 14-day period with the explanation that you can't get a full day out of a device that should easily make it a full day, ergo something is wrong with the one you're taking back. Again, just my two cents.
    12-11-11 06:24 PM
    well Ive managed to get Vodafone to send me out a new battery so this will rule that possibility out.

as for apps ect- I only have apps installed from the app world, and the battery problem has always been there from new a few months ago.

im not the only one, 1 of my friends only gets 4 hours from there 9900. another is almost the same as mine.

and to think I used to get nearly 2 days out of my 9700.
    Both of my 9900 bricked, but when I did have it battery issues. It seemed to last only about have the day if that. By lunch I we running to my car for the charger.
    12-11-11 06:33 PM
458 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD