Let's hope .585 brings some battery life improvement
    12-06-11 04:40 PM
    With freek'n Wifi and H+ signal ON. I took my phone off the charger at 7:00 AM this morning I received 10+ emails...a few Facebook notices made zero calls...day off so light use and get this...drum roll.... Meterberry says my battery use is 0.5%/hr and I have 172 hours of charge left.
    I have one of those charge pods or whatever it is. You drop your phone in it.
    OS .540 So 3G ON Wifi ON Facebook ON Weather app ON Meterberry ON Medscape ON Opera Mini ON Podcasts ON Telus CFL Mobile ON Blackberry News ON
    12-06-11 04:47 PM
    So I'm using the 9900 now to see if I can wear it down some. I'm going to try 1/2 hour of surfing with Opera mini and see what that does. Anyone with battery problems I would really try a new battery!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-06-11 04:57 PM
    Quattro, I started with the first Sure signal and I think I got a duff one as it used to cut out and switch off randomly, I have had a fantasy unbelievable experience with Vodafone over the last 3-4 years (and not a good experience) that I wont go into here.

needless to say i was all set to leave for sure at contract end but was contacted by there retention team who persuaded me to stay by offering an un-ref-usable offer.

however I did demand as part of that deal a new mk2 sure signal which I have to say has done "exactly what it says on the tin" !

it provides full scale 3G signal constantly for both my wife's and my Blackberrys 24-7.

hence all the more reason to be concerned about my ridiculous 9900 battery discharge rate, considering I get full scale 3G, so my 9900 really doesnt have to work hard.

this evening I recharged my 9900 as it was down to 20%, it was fully charged in under 2 hours however within 10 minutes of being off charge it had dropped to 95%.

I have a serious power leakage, I can almost watch it draining! if it were a car id say it was a short circuit!
    quattrojames likes this.
    12-06-11 05:01 PM
    ^ lol good or bad?
    Ya not too bad!!!!!

Sent from my scream'n BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-06-11 05:14 PM
    OK back an hour later. Used the crap out of the phone....non stop for an hour.
    Meterberry says: 1.5%/hr now. If anyone is interested check the: is OS for 9930 and 9900 really that different? Post in this form for another take on what may increase your battery life. Remember I charge with a pod.

Sent from my lovely BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-06-11 06:04 PM
    Oops. That was the "Just got my 9900 " post for charger info. A thousand apologies.

Sent from my humble BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-06-11 06:09 PM
    Here's another data point for everybody still following this thread.

I got home today at about 6:00 pm with 25% left. That wasn't too bad, but you have to remember that I had the phone in airplane mode for several hours today.

I decided to see how much the battery would drain if I took it out of the 9900 altogether. So I did precisely that. I took the battery out for an hour, then put it back in. It was down to 15%! So, I lost 10% with the battery not even in the device.

I realize that doing a battery pull is itself a drain on the battery, but I don't think it would use that much.

So, I'm coming to the conclusion that it's this battery that isn't holding a charge for some reason, rather than what I'm doing or not doing with the 9900. The question is: Is this something that can be fixed by charging and recharging, or do I simply need a new battery?
    12-06-11 06:43 PM
    Update: I phoned T-Mobile and asked for a replacement battery, which they agreed to without any resistance at all, after I described what's been going on.
    12-06-11 07:49 PM
    Here is what I have after 12 hours... not too bad. Even had an hour phone conversation.

Chlick to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image
    Hi, what's that last App "Blackberry News" do you mind sharing?
    *Sorry Folks*
    12-06-11 08:23 PM
    Thanks but unfortunately it's not Available for my Device.
    12-06-11 10:18 PM

I decided to see how much the battery would drain if I took it out of the 9900 altogether. So I did precisely that. I took the battery out for an hour, then put it back in. It was down to 15%! So, I lost 10% with the battery not even in the device.

I realize that doing a battery pull is itself a drain on the battery, but I don't think it would use that much.

So, I'm coming to the conclusion that it's this battery that isn't holding a charge for some reason, rather than what I'm doing or not doing with the 9900. The question is: Is this something that can be fixed by charging and recharging, or do I simply need a new battery?
    If someone where to purchase a new battery, what's the guarantee that they wouldn't buy just another crappy battery? Mine is too new to see what type of usage I'm getting, though sometimes it's not charging to 100%, the battery I think said it was made in japan. It's really hard to pull of the back of the phone, so I can't check very quickly.

So, where would one buy a good battery with assurances it's a good battery?
    12-06-11 10:40 PM
    would installing a hybrid OS help battery life?
    12-06-11 10:45 PM
    I upgraded to 7.1 from .540 to fix my ringtones, but the battery life was terrible. In just half a day the battery would be almost a redline.

I downgraded back to .503 and now everything is fine. It's been off the charger for 13 hours and battery is at 85%.
    emirozmen likes this.
    12-06-11 10:51 PM
    How is it possible to use the browser for an hour and lose only 1.5%???
    I lose 10% more than that!
    12-06-11 11:49 PM
    If someone where to purchase a new battery, what's the guarantee that they wouldn't buy just another crappy battery? Mine is too new to see what type of usage I'm getting, though sometimes it's not charging to 100%, the battery I think said it was made in japan. It's really hard to pull of the back of the phone, so I can't check very quickly.

So, where would one buy a good battery with assurances it's a good battery?
    Good question. I don't know the answer. The first thing is, I don't know for sure that it's the battery itself that's bad. Everything seems to be pointing in that direction, though. This thread has been very useful in letting us see that there are huge differences in battery drain that don't seem to be explained by the Usual Suspects, i.e., backlight too bright, social feeds polling all the time, bad reception. The fact that I'm losing 3+% an hour with radios turned off and no programs running, while others are losing only 1.5% an hour while making light to moderate use of their phone, makes it look like that battery itself has a problem. And the fact that I lost 10% with the battery out of the phone is something to consider, even allowing for the extra drain of a battery pull.

But these things are complicated, and I could be overlooking something.

If there are quality control issues with the OEM batteries, then there's no way to know that you're going to get a better one. In my case, T-Mobile is sending a replacement at no charge, so there's no risk. But if buying one outright, I don't see any way to avoid the risk.
    12-07-11 07:19 AM
    i charged the 9930 fully before going to bed at 12 last night and woke up with 55% left this morning at 6am...

not good.
    travisthomson likes this.
    12-07-11 07:33 AM
    And I don't use apps that load into memory on boot..
    I have deProcMan. How do you check that apps load into memory on boot? It seems every apps I have installed is in the "Startup Procs - 3rd Party"....
    12-07-11 08:30 AM
    like i said a long long time ago,
    i've tried all the available OS for my 9900
    and yet the battery life is still terrible
    to go thorough a day
    i carried extra JM1 battery, and another 2000mah portable power supply
    12-07-11 10:33 AM
    I just got mine in over the weekend and am seeing about 6% through meterberry. I'm running 7.1 leak and loving the phones snappyness but battery is kind of rough. I'll run with it a little more but it is on par with my 9810 that I just sold. I would normally see about 12 to 14 hrs of battery life. So to me it does the job and makes it through my day from 830 am to 9pm.
    12-07-11 11:21 AM
    WOW! Ubizmo thats interesting, I hadn't thought of trying what you did with taking the battery out to see if it would drain!

this is looking more like its down to battery more and more, which is what I suspected from the start, Ive owned so many rechargeable devices to know that consumption like this is either a faulty power cell or a faulty component draining the power.

I charged mine full before bed last night, went to bed at 00.00 got up at 8.00am with 40% remaining.

(still waiting for my new battery from Vodafone).
    12-07-11 11:25 AM
    WOW! Ubizmo thats interesting, I hadn't thought of trying what you did with taking the battery out to see if it would drain!

this is looking more like its down to battery more and more, which is what I suspected from the start, Ive owned so many rechargeable devices to know that consumption like this is either a faulty power cell or a faulty component draining the power.

I charged mine full before bed last night, went to bed at 00.00 got up at 8.00am with 40% remaining.

(still waiting for my new battery from Vodafone).
    12-07-11 11:26 AM
    We'll see what happens when I get the replacement battery from T-Mobile.

Meanwhile, I'm trying something different now: overcharging. Last night, the phone ran down, which was unintentional, early in the evening. I put it on the Nokia charger and didn't touch it until this morning, so it charged for 10 hours or so. Then I charged it in the car, even though it was still at 100%. In the office, I put it on the computer USB for another hour, even though it was still at 100% or 99%. Then, finally, I took it off the charger for a few hours. Battery drain, when I finally took it off the charger, was 4.6% per hour, with light use. This isn't impressive by any means, but better than the 7.2% I've been getting for the past few days. It could be a coincidence, or possibly all the extra charging is having an effect.

Stay tuned.
    12-07-11 12:27 PM
    strange that it changes the discharge rate depending on how its charged or could it be that the metering system just isn't 100% accurate?

I would dare to say that Im guilty of overcharging most evenings as I leave it on charge on my bedside for my entire sleep cycle which differs depending on shift but it can get from 5 to 7 hours!. although this is nothing different to how ive charged my previous phones.

regarding over charging I dont think its possible to do any damage as most modern equipment is built with circuitry that prevents just that so the equipment dosent overheat and possibly cause a fire, so I would expect it to be virtually impossible to do.
    12-07-11 02:08 PM
    WOW! Not sure what is going on but down to 55% in 4 hours today

Same again here...thought it was sorted. Phoned switched off in the holster. Was on the shop floor all day. Had 90% when I went to work..thought I had it sorted after it went pear shaped last week......its like going back 20 years when we had phones with alkaline batteries...
    12-07-11 02:39 PM
458 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD