I've been using it for a week now and followed some of the suggestions around here regarding the OS update (on .540 now) and some tuneups. On Idle it can stay on 'till 11pm after taking out of the charger at 6am, and using it casually during the day. A few calls, sms's, bbm's, facebook, surf the web, listen to some music while taking the shower in the morning, etc. It only drains the battery fast if I use it heavily. But gonna stick around with .540 for some time and try 7.1 when it goes official.
    I think there will be an official 7.1 for the 9900s any time now, but for now I have no complaint with the .585/.540 hybrid.

As of this morning, under "real life" conditions, my drain rate with the new battery is 2.1%/hour, with a few short phone calls, a few emails, some news reading, etc.--basically light use. That's twice as much as what it was just sitting on my desk, doing nothing, under continuously perfect reception conditions. But it's fine. My point of reference is my 9780, which used about 2%/hour under the same conditions.

And keep up the good work around here 'cause it really helps us newcomers.
    Good, that's what it's all about. This thread is way too long, I suppose, but anybody who has the patience to read through it can learn a lot. Just seeing what kind of battery performance other people are getting is important, as it gives a sense of what's possible. When I started with my 9900 and was getting 7%/hour drain, I had no way to know whether that was normal or acceptable for this device.
    12-19-11 07:36 AM
    The best way to lower discharge rate is to load a complete new OS without any apps.

Eg. I started my .540 even without blackberry app world and monitor each app for at least 6 hour to 24 hour.

At this point, I'm at 1-2% discharge rate.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    12-19-11 08:23 AM
    That would be a pain to do, but it is a way to do it.

Myself i always want to try load up as many apps as i can.

And then carefuly see which apps may be the culprit, ye i know it's alot harder to do this way.

But i need some apps at the right Times mehh.

You could try ubizmo's way. Check the apps's cpu usage in the application management.

12-19-11 08:32 AM
    The best way to lower discharge rate is to load a complete new OS without any apps.

Eg. I started my .540 even without blackberry app world and monitor each app for at least 6 hour to 24 hour.

At this point, I'm at 1-2% discharge rate.

You can get the same sort of information from the Options>Device>Application Management>CPU screen. From there you can check CPU usage for any app, in real time, for today, for yesterday, or for the week to date. The actual numbers you get, in minutes and seconds, won't mean much in terms of battery life, but they give you a basis for making comparisons.

Obviously, CPU use isn't the only thing that drains the battery. Screen time does so even more. An app like Kindle, which only uses the CPU for operations like turning the page, loading and syncing, is still a battery hog since you have the screen lit up continuously for reading. But I think everyone realizes that. And it's even more obvious that streaming any kind of video, which uses the radio, CPU, and screen constantly, is the worst. It's the apps that are using the CPU even when you're not doing anything with them that are the stealth battery bandits.
    12-19-11 08:36 AM
    I'm sure this has been covered. But running apps for the first time, after install, will help tremendously for battery life. Not sure if it really was BB travel, but I was averaging around 8% after my last update. I hadn't signed in to bb travel and a few others for a couple weeks and the battery was awful. So a few days ago I went through and signed in to everything, ran every app, put in reg codes, etc. Been averaging 2% and under, ever since
    12-19-11 11:00 AM
    I'm sure this has been covered. But running apps for the first time, after install, will help tremendously for battery life. Not sure if it really was BB travel, but I was averaging around 8% after my last update. I hadn't signed in to bb travel and a few others for a couple weeks and the battery was awful. So a few days ago I went through and signed in to everything, ran every app, put in reg codes, etc. Been averaging 2% and under, ever since
    What is the science behind this? Not saying you are wrong, but a lot of anecdotal evidence has come up in this thread so far.
    12-19-11 11:05 AM
    What is the science behind this? Not saying you are wrong, but a lot of anecdotal evidence has come up in this thread so far.
    It's a new one for me, but easy to test. Check CPU usage for a few apps that require sign-in for a day or so without signing in. Then sign in and see if CPU usage changes.

It seems odd, but now that I know that some apps are using CPU cycles even without ever being used at all, I'm open to anything.

I haven't bothered signing into Amazon mp3 Store since my last OS update, but it's using a small amount of CPU time every day. I'll sign in now and see if that changes.

Speaking of which, I seem to have two listings for Amazon Music Store in Application Management, even though there's only one app evident on my phone.
    12-19-11 12:25 PM
    What I have found is that the browser is a real killer for me. In just a few minutes of browsing my battery can fall 10%. I have had a look at the CPU usage but it doesn't seem to use much at all and neither does any of the other applications but what the browser does do is use up a significant amount of RAM which at times maxes out at about 120MB.

I have also deleted WhatsApp and that has given me a few more hours of battery life. For some reason that app was chowing my battery like a piranha.

I always have 3G and my signal very seldomly falls below 4 bars and when I'm at the office I consistently get 5 bars, my screen brightness is set to 10, location services are off and backlight limeout is set to 30 seconds. Facebook and Twitter feeds are also set to never update in the background and yet I barely make it through the day with this battery.

Really love this phone but wish they had included a decent battery.
    12-19-11 01:29 PM
    12-19-11 04:26 PM
    yey, today has a big day.
    after 16 hours my battery level is 23% !!!!
    i made a test. all the app closed, i didn't play almost nothing on my phone. just a few email (50), 15 - 20 phone calls. a little browsing, just a little bbm. that's great, yes?
    12-19-11 04:58 PM
    yey, today has a big day.
    after 16 hours my battery level is 23% !!!!
    i made a test. all the app closed, i didn't play almost nothing on my phone. just a few email (50), 15 - 20 phone calls. a little browsing, just a little bbm. that's great, yes?
    Not bad at all! A huge difference from the other days!
    12-19-11 05:08 PM
    Have had .579 on the 9900 for couple of days. It's not improving ('settling down').

It would drop 8% in a minute right off the charger. The first 40 min of complete idle will drop total of 15%

I came from .540, which doesn't have these sudden initial drops but it still averages an aggressive 15% to 20% drop / hour during a 65%- 75% utilization type usage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-11 05:13 PM
    Has anyone contacted seido to see if they plan on introducing something? Or is it assumed by now they ain't? I assume by now they ain't, but still hold out hope.
    12-19-11 08:04 PM
    Has anyone contacted seido to see if they plan on introducing something? Or is it assumed by now they ain't? I assume by now they ain't, but still hold out hope.
    I contacted them via facebook a month or so ago and they stated they were not going to develop an extended battery for the 9900/9930. Been a while - hopefully they will reconsider.
    12-19-11 08:26 PM
    What seems to be the overall census on which OS version has the best battery performance? ..I've seen a lot about the .540? ..Should I go with that one. I just got the 9900 and currently running on the .439
    12-21-11 12:10 PM
    What seems to be the overall census on which OS version has the best battery performance? ..I've seen a lot about the .540? ..Should I go with that one. I just got the 9900 and currently running on the .439
    .540 super here
    12-21-11 12:23 PM
    Weird thing with .585 and .579, they have this 'ghost-usage' of the initial 8% drop.

The phone goes from 100% to 92% in an instant a minute after getting off of the charger. As a matter of fact even when my phone is on charger it rotates between 92% to 100%

12-21-11 05:35 PM
    just got a update notification from my carrier today, Vodafone Uk, carried out the update and now have v7.0.0.585.

they claim it addresses battery issues, hopefully it will although seems like squeezing blood from a stone!
    12-23-11 10:09 AM
    Ha, for sure .585 isn't addressing battery issue for me.......

12-23-11 10:23 AM
    My battery has been pretty consistent with other BBs. Sometimes it can be a little sporadic, but for the most part I only need to charge the device every night (i'm down to yellow/red by about midnight after using the phone from 8/9am. I sometimes charge during the day just to keep my battery high though.

Funny thing I experienced though:

I was skiing in Deer Valley, Utah this past week and was using my phone to take pics and videos and I had about 80% when I started skiing. About an hour later i was in the red (like no battery, just a red rectangle (like 0%-5%). I was appalled and thought my battery was really messed up. Surprisingly, the device stayed like that for another 4/5 hours (could have lasted longer, but I plugged it in as soon as I got back from skiing). My network never shut off and the device never shut down. Must have been the cold playing tricks on my device...
    12-23-11 10:32 AM
    i had started this thread and contacted seidio via twitter. they told me no plans have been made that he/she had heard of.

heres the older thread
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-size-647555/
    12-23-11 11:24 AM
    Ubizmo - have you ever had (or still have) the instant battery drop from 100 to 92 off the charger? Are you back to using the included battery charger or still Nokia? Sounds like the new battery helped substantially...
    12-29-11 09:25 PM
    Also Ubizmo... Do you continue to keep brightness all the way down?
    12-29-11 09:33 PM
    The instant battery drop from 100 to 92 happens even when phone is still plugged into the charger!

Has to be the stupid SW having a bug!

12-29-11 09:40 PM
    .540 two thumbs up
    12-29-11 09:41 PM
458 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD