Hi all, just like everyone even i suffer poor battery life on my 9900. Yes i have been trying all the os versions coming for this 9900 & currently on 7.0.0.585, i m fine now as its giving me good battery life. But even if we compare all the os versions & the ones to come, actually its like 10-20% battery difference. Week back i purchased this amazing product - Sony CP-ELS usb portable charger, its amazing charges the phone in around 30 min, super portable & charges many other phones n devices like cameras or mp3 players... etc. And also outside usb cable is availaible for different devices attachments also. Works gr8, this is 2000mah & they also have more powerful 4000mah with 2 usb attachments model name CP-A2L.
    how much output does it has?

I had (still have) two portable charger (1700 and 1800mA) for my BB9000 - but I read a lot about that this charger can kill or at least damage the battery.

30 min how much %? full? that is not really plausible

Ok just checked - 1A is good - if the data sheet I read is correct and the charger deliver it - this should not damage the battery.

But PowerBank is better - 2A* and 5000+mAh

*other data sheet says 1.5A (third and last editing )
    Last edited by boldkeyboardholic; 12-18-11 at 08:22 AM.
    12-18-11 08:12 AM
    I am happy that you have fixed your blackberry battery issue. In 90%+ of the cases where people are complaining of poor battery life, it ends up being a poorly written application or game that is causing the drain. It is nice to see somebody go through the process of trouble shooting their device in order to find their own solution. If more people did this, this forum wouldn't be littered with people complaining about battery related issues.

Props and thanks for sharing your experience with the community.
    It has definitely been a learning curve for me.

I can't confirm, with my own experience, the battery savings that others are getting by switching down to 2G, except when 4G is needed. I've tried it, but I'm just not seeing a difference. Maybe that just means that 4G coverage in the areas where I typically go is good enough to make the savings negligible.

I didn't even know that all of those CPU and usage monitoring options were available from the Application Management screen in OS6. I never cared, because I had power to spare.

I'm still puzzled by apps, like Pandora, that don't, to my knowledge, "update in the background", but still use CPU even when I never load or use the app. Pandora is consistently using about 35s/day of CPU, even though I never actually load and use the app. The "Usage" screen confirms that it is "Never used". What's it doing?

There are other apps that use a bit of CPU without my actually using them, such as PageOnce and Amazon Music Store. I understand that PageOnce has to do something once in a while, to be able to send me "push" alerts, an option that I've selected. I don't know what Amazon is doing, though, but the amount of CPU involved is tiny. Pandora, though, used as much CPU time as BeeJive did yesterday. I had BeeJive running in the background for several hours. I didn't have any IM conversations on it; it was just monitoring. CPU usage for this was 33s, just behind Pandora. The difference, of course, is that I actually was using the BeeJive app.

I like Pandora, so I'm keeping it, since I'm getting acceptable battery life now. No doubt I'd get a little more battery life if I deleted it though. I don't know how much battery life 35s of CPU time amounts to--probably only a few minutes. EveryLock was clocking about 30 minutes of CPU per day, and stealing hours of battery life. But I'm sure there are other apps that are doing the similar things on people's devices. So one thing that anybody should do, if having poor battery life, is to check CPU usage, and especially to compare it to actual user "Usage", because the latter isn't a reliable indicator of the former. Just because you don't use an app, and it doesn't show up in Application Switcher, and the Usage screen says "Never used", you shouldn't assume that it's not working your battery. The only way you can know for sure is to either delete it or keep an eye on it through Application Management>CPU.

I did finally get the replacement battery from T-Mobile. I'll be trying that out too, and I'll report any observations in this thread.
    12-18-11 08:45 AM
    I noticed if I don't do a battery pull every 20-30 hours my battery goes crazy!
    But I can do it, who doesn't want awesome battery life lol
    12-18-11 08:52 AM
    I disagree with your comment - mostly, but you will not read mine I guess

To use 2G if you not need 3G is not a big thing but for me makes the device usable. Also I have it now and I see no android which could replace it (till now) in the whole experience.

It's like way using NOS when you just need a ride to the next store in the city? I need 2 clicks to get 3G on again and not even 20 seconds.

Oh, where I live 2G means 320kbits - even what I've read the BB 9900 chip support only about 200kbits - for emails, IM or this socile web craps (I just crapped, I washed my hands cause they stink...) this is far enough speed, also for mobile website and a few normal websites. For real browsing (like watching youtube etc.) I accept it to wait the 20 seconds if there is no wifi arround.
    Read your post..... not sure what your issue is. My issue with the phone is that the battery dies in the holster, it dies when I am travelling and dies in use. It drops signal in the shop floor, where my 8900 did not. The point I am making is that why have a 3g phone and have to use 2g to save battery. It is a phone, you switch it on and make calls or text etc. I am not interested in... Oh wait I best switch to 2g.....it seems to be that people are justifying a poor battery by creating power saving settings......
    12-18-11 11:26 AM
    it seems to be that people are justifying a poor battery by creating power saving settings......
    I don't know if anyone is justifying the battery situation on the 9900/9930. I think just about everybody here agrees that battery performance is not as good as it was on most earlier models, including previous Bold and Curve devices. That's not surprising, given the specs of the device.

The question is what to do about it.

There are a few options. One is to not buy or keep the 99xx. This is the most sensible choice for some people, and I fully intended to make this choice myself before I found out that an app was making my battery life worse than it needed to be.

Another option is to try to get the device to do what you need it to do. That can involve some combination of (a) carrying spare batteries or chargers; (b) choosing settings to save power, even though they're not the settings you'd otherwise prefer; (c) deleting apps that you'd otherwise keep; (d) trying various ways of conditioning the battery, or using a slow charger, etc.

We all have our personal limits to what we're willing to do. I'm not willing to carry an extra battery to have to swap in during the day. Some people are not willing to turn off frequent updates to social feed apps. You may not be willing to have to switch 3G on and off to save power.

The design of the phone has forced these choices on us, and I don't think anybody thinks this is a Good Thing.

Personally, I'd prefer it if the 9900 got similar battery life to my 9780, even though on most days I had close to 40% left when I put it on the charger at night. I liked having so much extra juice, so that on the occasional day when I really subjected it to heavy, heavy use, it could take it without needing a recharge. I know that on days like that, my 9900 won't have enough reserve power. But since days like that are pretty rare, given my usage patterns, I'm willing to settle for acceptable battery life in a device that is, in other respects, superior to the 9780. But it wasn't an easy choice, and it may not be the right choice for other people, with other circumstances.

If you need it to be as reliable from the shop floor as your 8900 is, then it's probably just not going to work out for you. And if you spend a lot of time in an area where you're on the ragged edge of reception, your battery is going to take a beating anyway. I don't know if this kind of reception issue can expect to be fixed by future OS updates. Personally, I wouldn't count on it. There's certainly no justification for putting a worse radio component into the 9900 than was in the 8900.

It's definitely a black eye for RIM that we have to have threads like this one, even if some of us are finding acceptable solutions.
    12-18-11 11:54 AM
    Thanks for all that...the highlights made it easy to read and understand....My not being willing to switch from 3g to 2g is a moot point...if you look at your phone and check settings. There is an option where it says network 3G&2G....it switches to the strongest signal...AUTOMATICALLY......
    12-18-11 01:02 PM
    Thanks for all that...the highlights made it easy to read and understand....My not being willing to switch from 3g to 2g is a moot point...if you look at your phone and check settings. There is an option where it says network 3G&2G....it switches to the strongest signal...AUTOMATICALLY......
    Some people find that the automatic process of repeatedly checking to see if there is a decent 3G signal, then switching to it, then switching back to 2G, drains the battery significantly faster than just keeping it on 2G and switching to 3G manually when they need it. I can't confirm that from my own experience, but that doesn't mean anything.

When I bother to check, I find that my phone is on EDGE a fair amount of the time. I used to notice the same thing on my 9780. But I've tried running my 9900 on 2G all day, and just haven't seen any significant difference in battery drain rate. I don't know why, but that's how it has been.
    12-18-11 01:16 PM
    12-18-11 01:29 PM
    Well, it's been 2 weeks of testing and listening to all of you.
    After trying different software, choosing wisely the apps, testing 2G and 3G connection, i came to the final conclusion. The engineering of this phone is crap.
    Whatever setting you will do, you'll never get a full day using the phone. The battery is draning due to the processor and the dispay. So, whenever you're in a call or just lighting the display, the battery drains like ****. Leave it in standby and you'll get 24 hours.
    The ONLY solution is a bigger battery, probably something around 2500mAh.
    pinanc likes this.
    12-18-11 01:40 PM
    Whatever setting you will do, you'll never get a full day using the phone. The battery is draning due to the processor and the dispay. So, whenever you're in a call or just lighting the display, the battery drains like ****. Leave it in standby and you'll get 24 hours.
    If by "you" you mean you, you may be right. If "you" means anybody and everybody, your claim is demonstrably wrong.

If I couldn't get a full day--which I define as 18 hours, since I typically get about 6 hours of sleep a night--on a single charge, and still be able to use the phone normally, I'd have returned it already. It's that simple.

And others who have posted on this thread are getting a full day's use too. It is therefore just false to claim that nobody can do it.

That said, you might not be able to do it, for reasons that I can't guess. There are just too many variables. But I know what your frustration is like, because it's not fun to have a device that in other respects is just what you want, but not be able to use it as it was meant to be used because of dubious design decisions.
    12-18-11 01:56 PM
    If by "you" you mean you, you may be right. If "you" means anybody and everybody, your claim is demonstrably wrong.

If I couldn't get a full day--which I define as 18 hours, since I typically get about 6 hours of sleep a night--on a single charge, and still be able to use the phone normally, I'd have returned it already. It's that simple.

And others who have posted on this thread are getting a full day's use too. It is therefore just false to claim that nobody can do it.

That said, you might not be able to do it, for reasons that I can't guess. There are just too many variables. But I know what your frustration is like, because it's not fun to have a device that in other respects is just what you want, but not be able to use it as it was meant to be used because of dubious design decisions.
    No, you got it right in the first place. YOU means all of you.
    To make it clear: full day for me means from 7am to 9pm.
    I explained in some previous posts. I speak aroung 4000 - 6000 min per month, i have between 50 up to 100 messages per day. I browse for news, i chat on bbm. I uninstalled the Whatsapp because with that app i got 6 hours of usage.
    With my 9700 i did all from above and even kept my phone connected to my car's bluetooth, with wireless on, and i had a full day.
    So, again, if you keep your phone in your pocket, you speak 30 min per day, and you browse the internet for 15 minutes, means nothing. That's standby mode.
    I am waiting for Momax battery, if that is not helping, my 9900 is on sale.
    12-18-11 02:21 PM
    I explained in some previous posts. I speak aroung 4000 - 6000 min per month, i have between 50 up to 100 messages per day. I browse for news, i chat on bbm. I uninstalled the Whatsapp because with that app i got 6 hours of usage.
    Hmm...that's about 2.5 hours of voice time a day.

I probably get 50-100 emails a day, and I check Go Reader fairly often. I've never used BBM, but I use BeeJive quite a bit. I download and listen to podcasts pretty often.

So the main difference between our usage patterns is actual phone calls. I get and make few of them. But based on what I've seen, I'd have to agree that if I were talking on the phone as much as you are, there's no way I'd get through the day on the 9900. I don't know about the 9780, because I just never use that much talk time.

I am waiting for Momax battery, if that is not helping, my 9900 is on sale.
    Good luck with it. I may try one of the 1400 mAh batteries at some point. I don't expect it to make a huge difference, but a little extra reserve is good.

I wonder if there's any current generation smartphone that can keep up with your usage as well as the 9700 did, using OEM battery.
    12-18-11 02:33 PM
    Hi,

after hundreds of battery pulls and hundred times of wiping and reinstalling i have now a avg dis rate of 1.9%.

Battery was loaded an Saturday 12:36 and after 33 hours still 40% left.

Hope it will last longer.

Martin
    12-18-11 02:35 PM
    Hi,

after hundreds of battery pulls and hundred times of wiping and reinstalling i have now a avg dis rate of 1.9%.

Battery was loaded an Saturday 12:36 and after 33 hours still 40% left.

Hope it will last longer.

Martin
    This is the result of your handwork lol.
    Congrats!!!!
    12-18-11 02:52 PM
    Going to bed after a heavy usage day. Have %53 juice left. I will porbably make through 2 days! I am so glad my battery is working like it should. Anyone who wnats help can ask me and i will be more than glad to share my experiences with you
    12-18-11 05:28 PM
    Going to bed after a heavy usage day. Have %53 juice left. I will porbably make through 2 days! I am so glad my battery is working like it should. Anyone who wnats help can ask me and i will be more than glad to share my experiences with you
    I'm calling lie on all post like these until people start posting screen shots. What do you consider heavy usage? Because 53% is astounding I can't muster that out of my 9780 and the battery is definitely!!! Better te the 9900/9930. My 9900 lasted just past lunch time on heavy usage. Can I get a screen shot of this please?
    12-18-11 05:41 PM
    I'm calling lie on all post like these until people start posting screen shots. What do you consider heavy usage? Because 53% is astounding I can't muster that out of my 9780 and the battery is definitely!!! Better te the 9900/9930. My 9900 lasted just past lunch time on heavy usage. Can I get a screen shot of this please?
    Well, my phone is off now. I am writing this on my ipod.
    Tomorrow i will monitor my usage closely and post some screenshots. I will describe my usage deeply.
    And why would i lie? Like it will help me?
    By the way when connected to wifi its a fact that you get amazing battery life on the 99xx series.
    12-18-11 06:07 PM
    I noticed if I don't do a battery pull every 20-30 hours my battery goes crazy!
    But I can do it, who doesn't want awesome battery life lol
    Battery pull not necessary, I get the same results doing the alt-shift-delete reset right before taking my phone off the charger.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    emirozmen likes this.
    12-18-11 06:44 PM
    Li-io batteries have a 3.7 V nominal voltage and 4.2 V max charge. Amperehour is the amount of energy divided by time you can discharge the battery before it reaches its lover limit of 3,2 V and shuts itself down. (If you consume 200 milliampere per hour, a battery with a capacity of 1230 mAh will last a little over 6 hours before it is drained).
    ok thanks - as I mentioned I was pretty sure it can't be correct/stupid question
    12-18-11 07:17 PM
    Update: I popped the replacement battery from T-Mobile today. For the record, this one is made in Korea; the first one was from Japan.

It had 25% charge on it when I put it in. I started charging it on my laptop's USB. When it got to 100% after a few hours, I kept it on the charger three more hours. Then I unplugged it to check baseline battery drain for a few hours. Location Services on, but not in use as far as I know; 4G on; wifi off; BT off; no auto-updating apps except BeWeather; minimal use.

Drain rate over three hours: 1.1%/hour.

That's better than my best baseline with the previous battery, but I don't know if it means much. We'll see how it goes tomorrow with normal use.

It's possible that the first battery was cooked a little bit by my early experiments in letting in run down to nothing a few consecutive times. Or not. Maybe just random variation between batteries.

That's all for now.
    12-18-11 09:00 PM
    Ok, here Some Details.

I am on .585 with .540 sfi file.

Killed all Games.
    Only App., that is Running is fancywidgets.
    Normal usage which means Email on bis and bes. Business phonecalls and Lot of calendar work.

As i Said, i do Not know how, because meanwhile i had also AVG dis. Rate up to 27%.
    Maybe it Works now for l�nger, Maybe Not.
    Will Tell you when Things are changing.

Damed German Keyboard Makes allways upperkeys.
    12-18-11 11:43 PM
    No one has talked about the .579 OS.. has anyone used that?

I jumped from .540 to .579 and its usage rate is about 20 percent higher than .540's. It also has the 99+% suddenly jumping to 92% issue within 10 - 15 min right after taken off charger.

I'm going to install .585 with .540 radio UMTC file to see how it works. With .540 I'm getting about 15% to 20% discharge rate (between 50% ~80% utilization rate).

Overall I get 6 hours usage from .540 vs 9700's 12+ hours with the same usage pattern.
    12-19-11 03:11 AM
    I agree with the article I don't remember having a great battery life with the first Bold or any smartphone except for the 9700 and 9780. Those were stellar at battery life. I regularly got two days on one charge. I did switch from the 9800 to the 9780 because of battery life. But even the 9800 gave me better battery life than this 9900.

This should do it. And a battery this size would have added only 4mm at worst. On another thread some have found 3400 mAh but the thickness of the thing is horrible.

So on average you talk 3.3 hours a day? Being more than half the rated talk time (5.9 hours or 3G and 6.6 on GSM) so you're left with less than half the battery to get through the day.. I usually talk one hour a day.

Drain rate over three hours: 1.1%/hour.
    I wish I had this drain rate..

One thing I noticed is that my battery never reach 4200 mV. I get to 4125 mV anoyone having the same issue? The battery is meant to be on full charge when I reach 4200 mV or 4.2V
    12-19-11 03:52 AM
    No one has talked about the .579 OS.. has anyone used that?

I jumped from .540 to .579 and its usage rate is about 20 percent higher than .540's. It also has the 99+% suddenly jumping to 92% issue within 10 - 15 min right after taken off charger.
    Placebo effect!

So on average you talk 3.3 hours a day? Being more than half the rated talk time (5.9 hours or 3G and 6.6 on GSM) so you're left with less than half the battery to get through the day.. I usually talk one hour a day.
    I talk a lot, i mean, a lot. Those days, not so much, since the business is not for winter. Even so, around 4pm my phone reaches 20-25% battery. A new recharge is needed.
    That's why i need a bigger battery, since in the summer time, at 1 pm the phone is dead.
    12-19-11 04:10 AM
    I've been using it for a week now and followed some of the suggestions around here regarding the OS update (on .540 now) and some tuneups. On Idle it can stay on 'till 11pm after taking out of the charger at 6am, and using it casually during the day. A few calls, sms's, bbm's, facebook, surf the web, listen to some music while taking the shower in the morning, etc. It only drains the battery fast if I use it heavily. But gonna stick around with .540 for some time and try 7.1 when it goes official.
    And keep up the good work around here 'cause it really helps us newcomers.
    12-19-11 07:01 AM
458 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD