Guys, I don't know whether anyone has been reading reviews on the net, but using Wifi actually gives you better battery life, and one more thing, you may not be using BBM, but people who have a lot of BBM contacts, and if those people actually change their pictures and status often, it adversely affects battery life, maybe by a minute amount, but it does nonetheless.
    I have a lot of people and BBM, and most are new to BBM, so they keep changing pictures and statuses, and apart from being annoying, it does drain battery.
    12-16-11 12:16 PM
    Your advice goes against physics and the advice of battery manufacturers. This will do your battery more harm than good.
    Agreed. That is not the way to look after a Lithium cell battery. Old NiCads maybe.
    12-16-11 12:47 PM
    Where did you get that wallpaper?
    12-16-11 12:56 PM
    SOLVED!!!! finally
    This is moderate to heavy usage:

And I connect to wifi at 5pm. But I had to sacrifice 3G and switch to 2G only option (when not connected to wifi) to get this battery life
    Last edited by emirozmen; 12-16-11 at 01:43 PM. Reason: added sth
    12-16-11 01:40 PM
    There was a day I had this..

12-16-11 01:45 PM
    SOLVED!!!! finally
    This is moderate to heavy usage:

Click to view quoted image

And I connect to wifi at 5pm. But I had to sacrifice 3G and switch to 2G only option (when not connected to wifi) to get this battery life
    Running which OS ???

Plus 1 with the 2G switch, if I know I am going to be out and about where a 3G signal is not guaranteed I will switch from 3G/2G to 2G to stop excessive battery drain.
    12-16-11 01:56 PM
    Yeah I always have left mine on 2G. But, I had it fully charged around 10AM and now it's almost 2 and I'm around 66 percent. Is this good? Discharge rate is at 8 per hour...maybe I just need to let it settle.
    12-16-11 01:59 PM
    Running which OS ???
    Running my carrier's official .540 (shrunk)
    12-16-11 02:01 PM
    Yeah I always have left mine on 2G. But, I had it fully charged around 10AM and now it's almost 2 and I'm around 66 percent. Is this good? Discharge rate is at 8 per hour...maybe I just need to let it settle.
    %8 aint super. Its decent but could be better in my opinion. I used to get %6-7 and complain. Now that I am using 2G only i am around %3-4 with moderate to heavy usage
    12-16-11 02:03 PM
    Ok guys, I am going to stop posting in this thread, but before I do. I would like to say that all this having to save battery by switching this off and using 2g and all the rest of the crap is utter nonsense.....it is like someone has said on this thread, like having a Ferrari and not using anything above 3rd gear in case it wears it out.....the phone is fantastic. The battery is utter sh1te.....and no amount of RIM employees or fan boys posting will convince me other wise....
    12-16-11 02:04 PM
    Running my carrier's official .540 (shrunk)
    Nice one, glad you have got it sorted to your satisfaction, your battery life now looks good to go.

.540 does generally seem to be the best of the stock OS's.

.585 with the .540 or .503 radio seems to be a small improvement.
    msl_laubo likes this.
    12-16-11 02:06 PM
    Ok guys, I am going to stop posting in this thread, but before I do. I would like to say that all this having to save battery by switching this off and using 2g and all the rest of the crap is utter nonsense.....it is like someone has said on this thread, like having a Ferrari and not using anything above 3rd gear in case it wears it out.....the phone is fantastic. The battery is utter sh1te.....and no amount of RIM employees or fan boys posting will convince me other wise....
    I don't think that anyone is saying that the battery is great, but you've got to work with what you are given and if switching from 3G to 2G when you have a poor 3G signal helps to make the device last longer then so be it.

I'm not a RIM employee or a fan boy, the 9900 is my first Blackberry so I have no history with RIM and no experience of previous models batteries lasting 3 weeks between charges with 99 apps all running at the same time.

If I have to take 30 seconds 3 or 4 times a day to change a setting on the phone it's no big deal.

As you rightly say, it is a fantastic phone.
    12-16-11 02:20 PM
    I don't think that anyone is saying that the battery is great, but you've got to work with what you are given and if switching from 3G to 2G when you have a poor 3G signal helps to make the device last longer then so be it.

I'm not a RIM employee or a fan boy, the 9900 is my first Blackberry so I have no history with RIM and no experience of previous models batteries lasting 3 weeks between charges with 99 apps all running at the same time.

If I have to take 30 seconds 3 or 4 times a day to change a setting on the phone it's no big deal.

As you rightly say, it is a fantastic phone.
    So, your best explication is that i have to guard my phone to see when it's full signal and when is not, to close the apps whenever i need something, i am not allowed to install some apps, i have to let my phone sit at the window for better signal, etc.
    Dude, this is pure paranoia. This is a God damn phone!
    I say it again. RIM, go bankrupt! Let other build mobile phones!
    12-16-11 02:54 PM
    Having apps loaded from appworld, especially auto updating apps and social feed apps will drain the battery quickly. Exactly the same way that having apps of these types loaded on an iPhone or an Android device will.

If your friend is only getting 4 hours, then he probably should look at what apps he is using. More than likely user error.
    I found that a single app, EveryLock, was draining my battery bigtime.

This was a big surprise, because I wasn't using the app. I had installed it, with the idea of using it to maintain an encrypted password file, but I gave up on that idea when I got "Secret Server". But while testing it, I did create a password file, and even though I wasn't using it, I kept EveryLock installed. As far as I knew, the only time this app used the battery was when I actually opened it to view or lock a file or folder.

Wrong!
    I am happy that you have fixed your blackberry battery issue. In 90%+ of the cases where people are complaining of poor battery life, it ends up being a poorly written application or game that is causing the drain. It is nice to see somebody go through the process of trouble shooting their device in order to find their own solution. If more people did this, this forum wouldn't be littered with people complaining about battery related issues.

Props and thanks for sharing your experience with the community.
    12-16-11 03:15 PM
    Where did you get that wallpaper?
    Here you go .

blackmoe likes this.
    12-16-11 03:22 PM
    Ok, I just have to vent. This battery is horrible. I am using the .585/.540, on 2G with Wifi on all the time, social feeds refresh every 6 hours, FB manually, Beweather was updating every hour now I changed it to manually. Brightness at 10, backlight 30 seconds. What is wrong with this battery as opposed to it being smaller? I'm close to almost 30 percent and I'm a light user! I text like crazy and am never on the phone a lot. I browse maybe 5-10 minutes at least. My Torch if I stil used it would be at 60 percent and last me all the way til like 1-2 AM. I love this keyboard, but idk this battery is really frustrating me.
    Last edited by calicocat2010; 12-16-11 at 05:50 PM.
    12-16-11 05:46 PM
    Ok, I just have to vent. This battery is horrible. I am using the .585/.540, on 2G with Wifi on all the time, social feeds refresh every 6 hours, FB manually, Beweather was updating every hour now I changed it to manually. Brightness at 10, backlight 30 seconds. What is wrong with this battery as opposed to it being smaller? I'm close to almost 30 percent and I'm a light user! I text like crazy and am never on the phone a lot. I browse maybe 5-10 minutes at least. My Torch if I stil used it would be at 60 percent and last me all the way til like 1-2 AM. I love this keyboard, but idk this battery is really frustrating me.
    I'm getting an extended battery in the mail soon. I also am a might to moderately heavy user and I see what you mean about that. It doesn't bother me that much so that's why the extended one will be the right type. If you don't mind the added .5cm of bulk, why not then right?
    12-16-11 05:55 PM
    I'm getting an extended battery in the mail soon. I also am a might to moderately heavy user and I see what you mean about that. It doesn't bother me that much so that's why the extended one will be the right type. If you don't mind the added .5cm of bulk, why not then right?
    Are you referring to that extended battery that has been posted on the threads? Or another battery that we have yet to hear about? My second battery will be delivered here tomorrow, but could not get the charger in time for my trip coming up this week though I did order it and it won't be here til JAN or FEB. Sucks!
    12-16-11 06:23 PM
    Are you referring to that extended battery that has been posted on the threads? Or another battery that we have yet to hear about? My second battery will be delivered here tomorrow, but could not get the charger in time for my trip coming up this week though I did order it and it won't be here til JAN or FEB. Sucks!
    I did link it a few dozen posts back, it's the mobile ebay link.
    12-16-11 06:28 PM
    I did link it a few dozen posts back, it's the mobile ebay link.
    Yeah I saw...ummm I'm thinking of deleting MeterBerry on my phone because I have never had problems with the battery dropping immediately after restarting the device on my Torch. The 9900 omg it was at 88% then I restarted the device and then it jumped down to 76%. What Gives?
    12-16-11 10:56 PM
    Currently at 2pm my phone is at 32% Was 93% at 8!
    Application Management says I used the phone for just over 2 hours.
    Does this make sense??
    I'm getting 12.5percent drain using OS .579 (7.0) . I think it's excessive. What you got was what I've experience on .353.
    12-18-11 05:06 AM
    I disagree with your comment - mostly, but you will not read mine I guess

To use 2G if you not need 3G is not a big thing but for me makes the device usable. Also I have it now and I see no android which could replace it (till now) in the whole experience.

It's like way using NOS when you just need a ride to the next store in the city? I need 2 clicks to get 3G on again and not even 20 seconds.

Oh, where I live 2G means 320kbits - even what I've read the BB 9900 chip support only about 200kbits - for emails, IM or this socile web craps (I just crapped, I washed my hands cause they stink...) this is far enough speed, also for mobile website and a few normal websites. For real browsing (like watching youtube etc.) I accept it to wait the 20 seconds if there is no wifi arround.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    12-18-11 05:51 AM
    I'm getting 12.5percent drain using OS .579 (7.0) . I think it's excessive. What you got was what I've experience on .353.
    I agree - I only get this drain when I'm using the bb the whole time. 1 our browsing does 10-15% drain with 7-10 tabs open on mine.

The only thing what drains my bb more is this wikitude thing with up to 20%

Perhabs there was an app still active? or very poor connection?

Still have .296 but soon I will wipe on hopefully get 7.1...
    12-18-11 06:00 AM
    probably a stupid question about the battery.

as I saw in a pic here and also on my battery app - it shows me a voltage of 4.2 at best - does this mean the battery works with 4.2v instead of the old 3.7v battery?

If yes - at the end the 1230mA by 4.2v vs 1500mA by 3.7v is not as weak as everybody saying, isn't it?

If this is correct the 99xx battery is only less than 10% weaker, still weaker but not as much as anyone can complain about the battery -> it's just the faster cpu and high res display and perhabs the chipsets for 3G etc. which draining the device.

(ok, this does not count for all the guys here with >2% to >3% with 3G on - I just can not get such idle drain in 3G mode, only with 2G or Wifi )
    12-18-11 08:00 AM
    Hi all, just like everyone even i suffer poor battery life on my 9900. Yes i have been trying all the os versions coming for this 9900 & currently on 7.0.0.585, i m fine now as its giving me good battery life. But even if we compare all the os versions & the ones to come, actually its like 10-20% battery difference. Week back i purchased this amazing product - Sony CP-ELS usb portable charger, its amazing charges the phone in around 30 min, super portable & charges many other phones n devices like cameras or mp3 players... etc. And also outside usb cable is availaible for different devices attachments also. Works gr8, this is 2000mah & they also have more powerful 4000mah with 2 usb attachments model name CP-A2L.
    12-18-11 08:04 AM
458 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD