My friend, there is life after RIM, trust me.
    Read some more, see how they calculate the profit, look into the future, look at the competition, read about complaints.
    The mistakes from today are gonna cost a lot. A stupid battery means a lot for people who do business, and there are the real money. In 2 years of warranty i exchanged 3 phones.
    I am completely unsatisfied with 9900. COMPLETELY! Software problems, hardware problems, etc.
    I am gonna make it clear for anyone who asks about it.
    12-16-11 07:01 AM
    My friend, there is life after RIM, trust me.
    Read some more, see how they calculate the profit, look into the future, look at the competition, read about complaints.
    The mistakes from today are gonna cost a lot. A stupid battery means a lot for people who do business, and there are the real money. In 2 years of warranty i exchanged 3 phones.
    I am completely unsatisfied with 9900. COMPLETELY! Software problems, hardware problems, etc.
    I am gonna make it clear for anyone who asks about it.
    I haven't had any software or hardware issues with my 9900 at all. Maybe I don't notice them since being with a blackberry starting from the pearl onwards. Other smartphones battery life are also comparable, think the other ones, I don't have to name them either. They haven't gone out of business because of that either.
    12-16-11 07:07 AM
    I am waiting for my MOMAX battery. If i am not gonna get a fully 12-16 hours of usage, i am gonna close the contract with blackberry for my company.
    12-16-11 07:16 AM
    I am waiting for my MOMAX battery. If i am not gonna get a fully 12-16 hours of usage, i am gonna close the contract with blackberry for my company.
    Extended battery right? I prefer those over the stock battery any day. I don't even mind the added bulk either. All depends on personal preference. Might I also state that not every single 9900 is the exact same with battery life, software stableness and hardware functionality/perfectiveness.
    12-16-11 07:28 AM
    I ordered the only battery that i found form a decent company. It's a 1400mAh, not too much over the JM1, but i do hope that is different technology, so i can keep my phone in use for one day.
    X-Level PDA Battery for BlackBerry Bold 9900 - Bold 9900 - BlackBerry - MOMAX top brand in phone accessories
    12-16-11 07:43 AM
    Had amazing battery life! Yesterday I wiped my device and loaded my carrier's official .540 (shrunked it). Now I have amazin battery life. It's almost midnight here and I have %57 left!
    Off charger: 6.45 am
    Light usage-idle between 8.30-14.30
    After 14.30 heavy usage with bbms(more than 250) some 15 min calls, 50 text messages, browsing web 20mins, taking couple of pictures and some tapatalk
    Now: %57 left 23.40
    My 9900 is back again!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    How did you shrink the OS and what did you shrink ?
    12-16-11 07:46 AM
    I ordered the only battery that i found form a decent company. It's a 1400mAh, not too much over the JM1, but i do hope that is different technology, so i can keep my phone in use for one day.
    X-Level PDA Battery for BlackBerry Bold 9900 - Bold 9900 - BlackBerry - MOMAX top brand in phone accessories
    Most of those batteries need to be decoded, or already are, or are cloned. Some come with decoder units which you place the original battery on with the new one. The thicker ones on ebay which I'll link the one I ordered below this post, comes with a decoder and is $14.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ca/viewitem?itemId=250942771748&index=0&nav=WON&nid=0 0367828538&trxId=900583716015
    12-16-11 07:54 AM
    Most of those batteries need to be decoded, or already are, or are cloned. Some come with decoder units which you place the original battery on with the new one. The thicker ones on ebay which I'll link the one I ordered below this post, comes with a decoder and is $14.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ca/viewit...d=900583716015
    You're using this one?
    The one from MOMAX comes with decoder. As i understood, is needed only 1 time.
    12-16-11 07:57 AM
    12-16-11 08:02 AM
    posted this in the "are you happy with 9900/9930" thread and decided to share here

just to chime in here, i've read about using the nokia charger issue (slower charge) and tried charging with it. now with the charger it came with after a overnight charge, using it for emails, calls and bbm (my day starts at 530am) by 10 am i would be at 50% charge remaining

using the other charger, same call usage, bbm and email ( i have a 30 min conference call every morning at 7) by 10 am i'm at 80%

could just be a jedi mind trick, but the slower charger seems to be working

at 4pm i 'm at 45%

the only app i use that refreshes automatically is social scope and well i have team alerts set on score mobile
    12-16-11 08:05 AM
    How did you shrink the OS and what did you shrink ?
    Use BB Boss for the most advanced shrinking experience. Things like fonts, language, themes, sound files, original wallpapers... more core stuff.
    You can also use App Loader which is like semi-shrink. You can unselect apps, languages and thats it.
    I shrunk some language files. Some fonts and got rid of Amazon MP3, Social Feeds, Klondike etc.
    Last edited by emirozmen; 12-16-11 at 08:19 AM. Reason: typo
    12-16-11 08:19 AM
    Noticed that using only EDGE(2G) will give 2x battery life compared to 2G&3G option
    12-16-11 08:20 AM
    Noticed that using only EDGE(2G) will give 2x battery life compared to 2G&3G option
    For me 2G = 3G.
    My dearest, you're not using the phone. Really! Mostly it's in standby, because the main issue for the drainage is the processor and the screen.
    Unfortunatelly, i speak a lot, i am emailing a lot, etc. This means 6 hours of usage/charge.
    12-16-11 08:25 AM
    That's a marked improvement, what changed?
    Described a few pages back, but worth repeating.

I found that a single app, EveryLock, was draining my battery bigtime.

This was a big surprise, because I wasn't using the app. I had installed it, with the idea of using it to maintain an encrypted password file, but I gave up on that idea when I got "Secret Server". But while testing it, I did create a password file, and even though I wasn't using it, I kept EveryLock installed. As far as I knew, the only time this app used the battery was when I actually opened it to view or lock a file or folder.

Wrong!

And this is the really surprising bit. When I went to the Options>Device>Application Management screen, the "Usage" panel showed that EveryLock was "never used", since my last reset, a few days before. So I figured that was that. But when I checked the "CPU" panel, it showed that EveryLock was the 2nd biggest CPU user on my phone! Even though I wasn't actually opening the app, it was using more CPU than email, or the browser, or anything else except Home Screen!

So I deleted it and, battery problem solved! That is, my standard of battery performance, which is a full day, from getting up in the morning until going to bed at night--usually about 18 hours--is met. When I went to bed last night, I had 17% left. It's not the 30% that I'd have with my 9780, but it's acceptable. I used the phone quite a lot yesterday; didn't hold back at all.

And in the process, I learned a bit more about the way the device works. I've been checking that CPU screen to see what else is going on. For example, I found that the YouMail app was using a fair amount of CPU, even on days when I got no calls or voicemails. I like the YouMail service, but the app typically runs on startup, and the fact is, there's no real need for it to stay resident. If I miss a call, I get an email from YouMail immediately anyway, and can play the message from the email if I want, or I can open the app then. So from now on I'll exit the YouMail app after a reset. I may even uninstall it, since it's not strictly necessary. I haven't decided. It's not using a huge amount of resources, but more than I would have thought.

I've also learned that some other apps are using CPU time, even when I don't use them. I haven't used Pandora in days but right now it's already showing 8.1s of CPU time today. What's that all about? Amazon MP3 store is another that I haven't used, but is showing a small CPU usage, 1.6s. These aren't anything to be concerned about, but they do make me wonder what's going on. Why are these apps using CPU when I don't even open them?

It's interesting that the CPU reading for Pandora, which I haven't used, is exactly equal to today's reading (so far) for Password Lock, which I use all the time.

Anyway, that's my story. I'd advise anyone to use that CPU screen to get a handle on what's making the CPU work. You may be surprised. I didn't even know that this could be done before. On the 9780, I never had a reason to check.
    12-16-11 08:38 AM
    Described a few pages back, but worth repeating.

I found that a single app, EveryLock, was draining my battery bigtime.

This was a big surprise, because I wasn't using the app. I had installed it, with the idea of using it to maintain an encrypted password file, but I gave up on that idea when I got "Secret Server". But while testing it, I did create a password file, and even though I wasn't using it, I kept EveryLock installed. As far as I knew, the only time this app used the battery was when I actually opened it to view or lock a file or folder.

Wrong!

And this is the really surprising bit. When I went to the Options>Device>Application Management screen, the "Usage" panel showed that EveryLock was "never used", since my last reset, a few days before. So I figured that was that. But when I checked the "CPU" panel, it showed that EveryLock was the 2nd biggest CPU user on my phone! Even though I wasn't actually opening the app, it was using more CPU than email, or the browser, or anything else except Home Screen!

So I deleted it and, battery problem solved! That is, my standard of battery performance, which is a full day, from getting up in the morning until going to bed at night--usually about 18 hours--is met. When I went to bed last night, I had 17% left. It's not the 30% that I'd have with my 9780, but it's acceptable. I used the phone quite a lot yesterday; didn't hold back at all.

And in the process, I learned a bit more about the way the device works. I've been checking that CPU screen to see what else is going on. For example, I found that the YouMail app was using a fair amount of CPU, even on days when I got no calls or voicemails. I like the YouMail service, but the app typically runs on startup, and the fact is, there's no real need for it to stay resident. If I miss a call, I get an email from YouMail immediately anyway, and can play the message from the email if I want, or I can open the app then. So from now on I'll exit the YouMail app after a reset. I may even uninstall it, since it's not strictly necessary. I haven't decided. It's not using a huge amount of resources, but more than I would have thought.

I've also learned that some other apps are using CPU time, even when I don't use them. I haven't used Pandora in days but right now it's already showing 8.1s of CPU time today. What's that all about? Amazon MP3 store is another that I haven't used, but is showing a small CPU usage, 1.6s. These aren't anything to be concerned about, but they do make me wonder what's going on. Why are these apps using CPU when I don't even open them?

It's interesting that the CPU reading for Pandora, which I haven't used, is exactly equal to today's reading (so far) for Password Lock, which I use all the time.

Anyway, that's my story. I'd advise anyone to use that CPU screen to get a handle on what's making the CPU work. You may be surprised. I didn't even know that this could be done before. On the 9780, I never had a reason to check.
    Very nice post @ubizmo,
    I've been reading this thread since it started since I want to buy a 9900.
    After reading this thread, I'm sure 9900 is a good phone and I will buy one.
    12-16-11 09:27 AM
    You're using this one?
    The one from MOMAX comes with decoder. As i understood, is needed only 1 time.
    I ordered it from ebay and it should be arriving in the mail soon. Can't wait to break it out and shove it in. I need the extra juice. HD video recording really does require it allot.

Main priorities for me are: Data, Video. Sms and calls are minimal unless needed in the case data is out.
    12-16-11 09:47 AM
    I ordered it from ebay and it should be arriving in the mail soon. Can't wait to break it out and shove it in. I need the extra juice. HD video recording really does require it allot.

Main priorities for me are: Data, Video. Sms and calls are minimal unless needed in the case data is out.
    I have a voice plan of 2000 min/month, i call more than this, something around 2500 min/month. I receive around 3000 - 4000 min/month. I use around 100 emails per day, i chat a lot, etc.
    12-16-11 10:31 AM
    I have a voice plan of 2000 min/month, i call more than this, something around 2500 min/month. I receive around 3000 - 4000 min/month. I use around 100 emails per day, i chat a lot, etc.
    Now I can understand the need for an extended battery :P if I did that much talking, I'd prefer a thick SOB of a battery, 9 bold's thick, if I did talking and data at the same time (talk + uploading an HD video over wifi or wind's network), but then it'll be wayyyy too thick to even handle

Heck, adding an extra 0.5cm to it won't do any harm. 4400 mAh would be 1cm, it would be quite thick but factor in the talk time, TONS! Edit: And stand-by time, weeks to months.
    Last edited by Rootbrian; 12-16-11 at 10:46 AM.
    12-16-11 10:43 AM
    well, i don't want to carry a brick with me, i still want to be a fashion guy
    what i suffer most, is that with my 9700, connected by blutooth to my car, having the same software, i can reach a full day of usage.
    i like the new screen, the keyboard, the bb service, but i will never understand 2 things. why did they choosed such a small battery, and second that, why they don't kill the producer of trackpads?
    12-16-11 11:11 AM
    Downloaded Device Analyzer leak..
    Where can I find this?
    12-16-11 11:39 AM
    well, i don't want to carry a brick with me, i still want to be a fashion guy
    what i suffer most, is that with my 9700, connected by blutooth to my car, having the same software, i can reach a full day of usage.
    i like the new screen, the keyboard, the bb service, but i will never understand 2 things. why did they choosed such a small battery, and second that, why they don't kill the producer of trackpads?
    Trackpads for precision, like a mouse, in case the fingers are too big. It could be replaced by a touchpad like on laptops and netbooks, those never wear out that quickly.

The smaller battery likely is in competition to other smartphones having the same capacity or smaller than 1500 mAh. Now that sucks and wasn't such a good move. Maybe it was the OEM battery manufacturer that decided not to go with a higher capacity or same spec battery. I don't think RIM makes their own batteries either, it either comes from HK or Japan.
    12-16-11 11:43 AM
    Where can I find this?
    Maybe google? Try popping it in the search box, or maybe it's in beta still.
    12-16-11 11:45 AM
    Maybe google? Try popping it in the search box, or maybe it's in beta still.
    I did try Google, no real hits. Better results from the PC though
    12-16-11 11:48 AM
    Where can I find this?
    N4bb posted it yesterday and it works pretty well on .585 (though its a leak) ..chk this link
    Download: BlackBerry Device Analyzer for OS 7 and 7.1 | N4BB - News for BlackBerry - leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews

not sure why cb hasnt posted it yet
    Last edited by sris; 12-16-11 at 12:03 PM.
    quattrojames likes this.
    12-16-11 11:58 AM
    I don't think RIM makes their own batteries either, it either comes from HK or Japan.
    RIM in engineering the phones, they choosed the processor and also they had the opportunity to test the final product. Doesn't matter who's producing the battery, it's too small for this hardware.
    If they had some consideration about a small battery, even as a market strategy (honestly, i can't figure it out how), they should have build the case in such manner that you can install an extended battery. This is something Samsung did for some phones.
    This is engineering! Building a reliable product, with a stable software, no service in warranty period, thinking at future posibilities of upgrading. Also, developing software means money. A HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY!
    Consumer satisfaction should be the top thing for whatever company out there. We live difficult economical times, it's no time to make mistakes. It seems that RIM is not understanding. Profit on short term is allways a bad solution.
    As solution i would have installed a maximum of 1Ghz processor, with a battery of 1800mAh. That would have meant a phone 2mm thicker.
    12-16-11 12:01 PM
458 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD