Should I go with a nokia charger or my 9900s usb cable (charging via computer) ??
    12-14-11 10:40 AM
    It's a fact that the 9900 is more demanding than previous generation Bolds in terms of processor speed and screen size. I don't know if the touch screen is itself a greater power drain, but I wouldn't be surprised. And it's fact that the 9900 has a weaker battery than the 97xx. So those facts alone predict less time between required charges.

My guess is that RIM decided that the minimum acceptable battery performance is to go a full day on a single charge, but not have to charge more than once. Since the 97xx was able to go well into a second day, and in some cases beyond that, on a single charge, they figured that less battery life would be acceptable as long as it was a whole day's worth, i.e., 16 hours or so. People should expect to charge smartphones at night. The trouble is, a lot of people aren't getting that minimum. In some cases, it's because people got used to being able to use certain apps in certain ways, without having to worry about battery depletion. There was power to spare. So people got used to having their social feeds update frequently, to take one example. That's much more likely to lead to a problem on the 9900.

I think there's a software component too. If there's no 3G signal and the phone drops back to 2G, how often does it check for 3G? Each time it checks, it drains the battery. This is controlled by the software. It actually wouldn't be a bad idea to let the user select a radio profile: aggressive, moderate, or conservative, based on how often the device looks for 3G and wifi.

The real error is to design a device that entices the user to want to do more with it, without powering it accordingly.

If there were a thicker, "Hummer" model of the 9900, with an 1800 battery, I bet a lot of us would have bought it instead.
    Ubizmo, i can bet my phone, RIM made a mistake. A huge one. Technically speaking, the are big flaws.
    Do you really care about processor speed? I don't!
    Do you really care what type of screen they use?
    Do you really care about excuses? I don't!
    The main problem is they engineered a MOBILE phone, faster, better, with a consuming processor and they considered that a smaller battery is better, yes? Ain't that pure stupidity, logicaly speaking?
    The mobile phones are made to be used, not kept in standby in 2G mode.
    RIM is selling software who is installed on the mobile phone, so the battery drains faster. Normally, a reasonable person will cosider the fact that the drainage will be huge, and even if they don't considere nothing, they can test the mobile phone before release.
    Somehow, somewhere something went wrong.
    Now, we have a mobile phone that's useless in 8-10 hours. I do business, lucky me that ai have a car and a mobile charger, or else i should run as fast as i can home after work.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    12-14-11 10:45 AM
    I'm average about 2 to 3% discharge rate.
    Location Service On
    Email Wire Sync On (BES)
    Brightness 10%
    Auto Update:
    BeWeather 3 hour

Other Apps:
    ***Always check app usage even if you are not using it***
    What's App
    deProcMan (will remove soon)
    MeterBerry (will remove soon)
    Tapatalk
    AP
    BeReader
    BBM Group (1)
    Navaitor Translator
    Facebook
    Google Maps
    Picture Editor Ultimate
    Time
    UberSoical Twitter

Removed Apps
    Blackberry App World

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    12-14-11 11:08 AM
    Ubizmo, i can bet my phone, RIM made a mistake. A huge one. Technically speaking, the are big flaws.
    Do you really care about processor speed? I don't!
    Do you really care what type of screen they use?
    Do you really care about excuses? I don't!
    The main problem is they engineered a MOBILE phone, faster, better, with a consuming processor and they considered that a smaller battery is better, yes? Ain't that pure stupidity, logicaly speaking?
    The mobile phones are made to be used, not kept in standby in 2G mode.
    RIM is selling software who is installed on the mobile phone, so the battery drains faster. Normally, a reasonable person will cosider the fact that the drainage will be huge, and even if they don't considere nothing, they can test the mobile phone before release.
    Somehow, somewhere something went wrong.
    Now, we have a mobile phone that's useless in 8-10 hours. I do business, lucky me that ai have a car and a mobile charger, or else i should run as fast as i can home after work.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    Really? I mean if you don't care about processor just get a 9780 the battery life is better. The screen is smaller but if you only care about battery this is it. Then you can even get the Seidio extended battery to get even more out of it.
    About the battery downsizing this is 1230 mAH vs 1550 mAH which is 80% the charge. Meaning you would get 10-12,5 hours. Would this give you enough battery life? The specs compared to the 9780 give half the standby time so..
    The trend to give only a workday worth of one charge sucks but at least the 9900 has a removable battery which you can't say about the Nokia Lumia which uses the same snapdragon platform and also has many user complaining about the battery life. The spare battery with external charger is a nice solution. I would have favored a design which would have let another battery door with extended battery but without kill the design. But the spare is so thin this is not a big deal to me.
    12-15-11 07:11 AM
    Really? I mean if you don't care about processor just get a 9780 the battery life is better. The screen is smaller but if you only care about battery this is it. Then you can even get the Seidio extended battery to get even more out of it.
    About the battery downsizing this is 1230 mAH vs 1550 mAH which is 80% the charge. Meaning you would get 10-12,5 hours. Would this give you enough battery life? The specs compared to the 9780 give half the standby time so..
    The trend to give only a workday worth of one charge sucks but at least the 9900 has a removable battery which you can't say about the Nokia Lumia which uses the same snapdragon platform and also has many user complaining about the battery life. The spare battery with external charger is a nice solution. I would have favored a design which would have let another battery door with extended battery but without kill the design. But the spare is so thin this is not a big deal to me.
    Let's make it clear.
    With the 9700 - 9780 and original battery, i have a 16 hours usage with my phone connected to my car and doing whatever i want on the phone.
    With 9900 i can get up to 8 hours usage in the same condition.
    So 9900 engineering is absolutely CRAP!
    12-15-11 08:16 AM
    Keep it up. If you can talk RIM into penny stock territory it's a buy.
    12-15-11 09:16 AM
    after 3 Bolds on the trot 9000, 9700 and now 9900 + a Playbook for xmas I dodnt think I can be accused of being negative towards BB however It is simply inexcusable to produce a phone that you hope to compete in the market and give it the ridiculous battery life.

the 9900`s release in its present state was a knee **** reaction to the current market and what was going on at the time.

I have learnt from previous experience that battery life does improve with time and F/ware updates but after owning a 9900 for a couple of months now I consider Rim either has nothing planned in the way of addressing this issue (possibly because they are concentrating on the next gen BBX / 10 series) or they cannot fix this problem without owning up to a mistake with the 9900.

I keep reading BB lovers attempts to defend this shambolic affair!

if you are fortunate enough to not have this problem or be in a situation that it doesnt cause you a problem you are lucky!

however there are many of us out here that the currant behaviour of this phone is unsuitable, at riskof repeating myself most workdays I am travelling home on a motorway in the dark cold and often wet and very soon snow on a motorbike with a dead battery in my mobile phone.

due to the nature of my work I cannot charge my phone as and when needed so this is un-avoidable !

On an up-note, i have received my new battery today so when my current work schedule shift finishes I will charge this up and see how it performs.
    12-15-11 09:20 AM
    Thank you for introducing me to this wonderful word!

I personally doubt that any software change will make more than, say, a 10% difference on this issue, if that.
    12-15-11 09:38 AM
    after 3 Bolds on the trot 9000, 9700 and now 9900 + a Playbook for xmas I dodnt think I can be accused of being negative towards BB however It is simply inexcusable to produce a phone that you hope to compete in the market and give it the ridiculous battery life.

the 9900`s release in its present state was a knee **** reaction to the current market and what was going on at the time.

I have learnt from previous experience that battery life does improve with time and F/ware updates but after owning a 9900 for a couple of months now I consider Rim either has nothing planned in the way of addressing this issue (possibly because they are concentrating on the next gen BBX / 10 series) or they cannot fix this problem without owning up to a mistake with the 9900.

if you are fortunate enough to not have this problem or be in a situation that it doesnt cause you a problem you are lucky!

however there are many of us out here that the currant behaviour of this phone is unsuitable, at riskof repeating myself most workdays I am travelling home on a motorway in the dark cold and often wet and very soon snow on a motorbike with a dead battery in my mobile phone.

due to the nature of my work I cannot charge my phone as and when needed so this is un-avoidable !

On an up-note, i have received my new battery today so when my current work schedule shift finishes I will charge this up and see how it performs.
    You mean like this? RIM confirms issue with BlackBerry Bold 9900 / 9930, working on a fix via software update
    12-15-11 11:20 AM
    I think his point was about owning up to a design mistake, in relation to device power requirements and battery power supply. I don't think RIM has said, or will say, anything about that.

I guess it's a fact that thinness sells, so there was good reason to keep the 9900 as thin as possible. But I just have to wonder...If the 9900 were, say, 2 mm thicker, with a correspondingly stronger battery, would it have hurt sales that much?
    mystic84 likes this.
    12-15-11 11:30 AM
    That's it. I really LOVE my 9900, but heck, if the battery lasted half a day longer than it does... It would've been the phone of 2012.
    12-15-11 11:37 AM
    9900 battery sucks.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    12-15-11 12:43 PM
    I think his point was about owning up to a design mistake, in relation to device power requirements and battery power supply. I don't think RIM has said, or will say, anything about that.

I guess it's a fact that thinness sells, so there was good reason to keep the 9900 as thin as possible. But I just have to wonder...If the 9900 were, say, 2 mm thicker, with a correspondingly stronger battery, would it have hurt sales that much?
    They didn't own up to us Storm 2 owners having a "bad" screen at release - it was stiff, locked up and/or went unresponsive for a fair amount of users; RIM tried to quietly pull and replace stock at the carriers for people experiencing problems to get replaced... except we end users found out, and there was a huge demand to get new Storm 2's whether the device was having problems or not - some people just wanted new and improved irregardless. So RIM's apparent silence on a hardware issue this time around is not surprising, if they can convince everyone it's really a software issue while all the problematic units get sold and summarily replaced in the background, they'll have saved face and lowered the number of people demanding new units.

I wonder if part of the high-drain problem might be that it's not unilateral, as some 99xx owners get good battery life. One of the things that might put this issue in perspective is where all the problematic and good devices are - if it was a hardware issue that would point to manufacturing, and as we all know there's more than one location where these are being produced. And it'll be a hard time convincing me the units from different factories are being consolidated before shipping to various sellers. Problem with this theory is that within even the same manufacturing process there's variances, from what I have observed on the forums.
    12-15-11 12:43 PM
    Had amazing battery life! Yesterday I wiped my device and loaded my carrier's official .540 (shrunked it). Now I have amazin battery life. It's almost midnight here and I have %57 left!
    Off charger: 6.45 am
    Light usage-idle between 8.30-14.30
    After 14.30 heavy usage with bbms(more than 250) some 15 min calls, 50 text messages, browsing web 20mins, taking couple of pictures and some tapatalk
    Now: %57 left 23.40
    My 9900 is back again!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-15-11 03:41 PM
    Let's make it clear.
    With the 9700 - 9780 and original battery, i have a 16 hours usage with my phone connected to my car and doing whatever i want on the phone.
    With 9900 i can get up to 8 hours usage in the same condition.
    So 9900 engineering is absolutely CRAP!
    I disagree the engineering is great about the style, the keyboard, the screen. The battery life was not the priority obviously. But can't you switch back?
    About the battery same here vs 9780 I get one day meaning 24 hours vs 48 hours with the 9780. And that sucks and I was angry at first then I got the spare with charger which was supposed to give me peace of mind. Now I haven't needed it once. I still keep it charged and in my card holder..

Same here get a spare or two. This is a nice solution. The spare is so thin this is not a big deal. Sure this is far from ideal but still this a solution to your problem. RIM do sell the whole battery and external charger bundle. Because a spare without a charger really is not ideal. They are almost the only one to offer this kind of package.

I personally doubt that any software change will make more than, say, a 10% difference on this issue, if that.
    I agree the firmware can improve the battery life it happened with previous Bolds. But this won't give us the battery life the 9780 had. Better firmware with a safe reliable extended battery maybe..
    12-15-11 03:48 PM
    I took my phone off the charger at 6:30 this morning. I've used it a lot today. About 45 minutes talk time, 4G on all day. Location services on but probably not used. Lots of email reading and writing. Had BeeJive on for hours. Checked Go Reader many times and used Kindle for a half hour. Had the phone in my office with crappy reception for hours, without switching to 2G. Listened to podcast in the car for a half hour.

So...it's now 8:15pm and I have 31% left. That's not bad, considering that until a couple of days ago, one bad app was killing the battery by 5:00pm with hardly any usage at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    TheRealRoland likes this.
    12-15-11 07:16 PM
    I took my phone off the charger at 6:30 this morning. I've used it a lot today. About 45 minutes talk time, 4G on all day. Location services on but probably not used. Lots of email reading and writing. Had BeeJive on for hours. Checked Go Reader many times and used Kindle for a half hour. Had the phone in my office with crappy reception for hours, without switching to 2G. Listened to podcast in the car for a half hour.

So...it's now 8:15pm and I have 31% left. That's not bad, considering that until a couple of days ago, one bad app was killing the battery by 5:00pm with hardly any usage at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That's a marked improvement, what changed?
    TheRealRoland likes this.
    12-15-11 07:21 PM
    i can tell you that i went to 7.1 and my battery life went downhill bigtime! im trying .503 now
    12-15-11 08:57 PM
    I'm now convinced theres atleast some hope that the battery life can be resolved.

Attachment 98855

I purposely didn't charge over night to see how the power would be while idling. Its getting about 2% discharge overnight. I've noticed occasionally I can get a low discharge rate like this. But its not very often, usually at about 7-10%. I have a feeling there is either a bug/configuration issue that is affecting how the antennae manages its power consumption. There must be a power save/idle setting, but i think the device is not triggering this power saving mode very well hence battery consumption can easily be 7-10% without doing anything.

I'm currently on .585 hybrid with .503. But i had noticed at least once with .585 where i got a similar discharge rate over night.
    12-15-11 09:30 PM
    I am currently on .540 / .585 hybrid. Though the overall battery life is far better, I notice that my battery drains faster when on phone calls..

Downloaded Device Analyzer leak.. took off the charger in the morning,and activated battery tests. Every hour the phone collects the usage. here are the screenshots with update of the 1st hour.. (last night for a few hours before putting for charge, i tried this same battery test, noticed that, at idle, the drain was 1.69%, which is good)

Present results from this morning:
    The mobile network usage is around 66.67%, the maximum contributor to the battery consumption. (though this is common, i think this is a little high). Overall discharge rate based on the 1st hour is 6.81 % /hr

Edit: Plus currently i am in a low signal area. Get only 2 to 3 bars, rarely 4, which is also a strain to the radio.
    Last edited by sris; 12-15-11 at 10:09 PM.
    12-15-11 10:03 PM
    I too use .540 / .585 hybrid. Batt life is good.
    Network uses most of your batt life. if you are using 3G, than auto switch to 3G & 2G frequently consumes batt life. Also poor network may be also taking toll on batt life...
    12-16-11 02:25 AM
    Well,
    I unhooked my phone from the charger at 8.00 am, it;s 2.39 pm and i have 22% battery.
    RIM, i hope you are going banckrupt!
    emirozmen likes this.
    12-16-11 06:40 AM
    Well,
    I unhooked my phone from the charger at 8.00 am, it;s 2.39 pm and i have 22% battery.
    RIM, i hope you are going banckrupt!
    You are more likely to go bankrupt because of debt overloading/overtaking everything. Be careful what you shout out or say on public forums. Just because your battery life is less than expected, doesn't mean RIM is going bankrupt or you have to bash them. Just enjoy and be glad you EVEN HAVE a phone to use.
    12-16-11 06:43 AM
    You are more likely to go bankrupt because of debt overloading/overtaking everything. Be careful what you shout out or say on public forums. Just because your battery life is less than expected, doesn't mean RIM is going bankrupt or you have to bash them. Just enjoy and be glad you EVEN HAVE a phone to use.
    Dude, grow up, you know nothing about me.
    And yes, RIM is gonna go bankrupt!
    12-16-11 06:45 AM
    Dude, grow up, you know nothing about me.
    And yes, RIM is gonna go bankrupt!
    As to when is RIM going bankrupt? Do you have any sort of proof of this? How can it be so when they're making profits? I guess you haven't read the news much. Thought I'd edit my post to add some more information.
    Last edited by Rootbrian; 12-16-11 at 06:50 AM.
    12-16-11 06:47 AM
458 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD