Did you turn Device Location(GPS) off? I did.
    Yes, it's been off all week.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-11 07:06 PM
    Glad It worked for you. Meter Berry can be installed without draining the battery.
    I installed MeterBerry when I got my 9930, uninstalled it soon after as it seemed to cause drain at a higher rate. Nothing even close to bothersome but I felt that with mine being stable in overall performance it was unnecessary, so I uninstalled it. Until Wednesday, now I'm using it again.

The bad news, however, is that just turning the 2G radio on, in an area with excellent reception, and otherwise not touching the phone at all, drained the battery 5% in an hour.

I don't know what to make of that. It seems way too high to me. That suggests that even with apps uninstalled, even light use would have me back up to 7% an hour again. I can't explain it. It's certainly not the signal strength, which is superb here. None of this makes any sense, really.

It's getting old.
    That's not normal. That's draining almost as fast as my netbook.

Did you turn Device Location(GPS) off? I did.
    It's ultimately user preference versus usage, however he shouldn't need to if his GPS is working properly and sitting idle - by design it should only use power when actively being used. However if nothing needs to use it by all means disable it.
    12-09-11 07:19 PM
    That's not normal. That's draining almost as fast as my netbook.
    Exactly. I can't blame apps, because I uninstalled them all. But previously when I tested with radio off and phone idle, the battery was draining at 3-4%/hour. This time it hardly drained at all until I turned the radio on, to 2G only.

I'd been thinking that the battery was to blame, which is why I asked for a replacement. But the more I test, the more skeptical I am of that. Obviously I won't know for sure until I try out the replacement, but my guess is it won't make any difference at all. I've tried various different chargers, ways of charging, etc. Nothing makes any substantial difference. Even going on wifi right in the same room with the router doesn't lower the drain rate by much.

If it's the radio, I'd expect it to affect either the 2G or the 3G but not all of them. I have one week left of my 14-day trial. I could ask for a replacement device if the new battery doesn't work. I don't know if they'll go for that, though. I guess I have nothing to lose. If they don't go for it, I'll throw in the towel. A BB that only lasts 11 hours on a charge is useless to me. It may be hard to go back to the smaller screen, smaller keyboard, and OS 6 of my 9780, but at least I know it'll work when I need it.

It's ultimately user preference versus usage, however he shouldn't need to if his GPS is working properly and sitting idle - by design it should only use power when actively being used. However if nothing needs to use it by all means disable it.
    That's right. And frankly, it makes no difference whether GPS is on or off, as long as I don't use any app that calls upon it. I've just kept it off this week while running all these battery tests, just in case.
    12-09-11 08:38 PM
    Exactly. I can't blame apps, because I uninstalled them all. But previously when I tested with radio off and phone idle, the battery was draining at 3-4%/hour. This time it hardly drained at all until I turned the radio on, to 2G only.

I'd been thinking that the battery was to blame, which is why I asked for a replacement. But the more I test, the more skeptical I am of that. Obviously I won't know for sure until I try out the replacement, but my guess is it won't make any difference at all. I've tried various different chargers, ways of charging, etc. Nothing makes any substantial difference. Even going on wifi right in the same room with the router doesn't lower the drain rate by much.

If it's the radio, I'd expect it to affect either the 2G or the 3G but not all of them. I have one week left of my 14-day trial. I could ask for a replacement device if the new battery doesn't work. I don't know if they'll go for that, though. I guess I have nothing to lose. If they don't go for it, I'll throw in the towel. A BB that only lasts 11 hours on a charge is useless to me. It may be hard to go back to the smaller screen, smaller keyboard, and OS 6 of my 9780, but at least I know it'll work when I need it.

That's right. And frankly, it makes no difference whether GPS is on or off, as long as I don't use any app that calls upon it. I've just kept it off this week while running all these battery tests, just in case.
    At this point it might be time to think about exercising that exchange while still inside the trial period; you'll still have time left to see if it's particular to that handset if you get another 9900. If it is, then great - you could wind up getting a 9900 that lasts a good while like EM's and other 9900 owners.
    12-09-11 09:01 PM
    The bad news, however, is that just turning the 2G radio on, in an area with excellent reception, and otherwise not touching the phone at all, drained the battery 5% in an hour.

I don't know what to make of that. It seems way too high to me. That suggests that even with apps uninstalled, even light use would have me back up to 7% an hour again. I can't explain it. It's certainly not the signal strength, which is superb here. None of this makes any sense, really.

It's getting old.
    What is your signal strength? 77dbm?
    12-09-11 11:28 PM
    santa says the retired man doesn't have bad battery life since he is a destroyed battered man who has no contacts.nobody to text,call,or email him.a battered man who has suffered a lot no one cares like no one cares about a homeless man with a cardboard sign.santa says don't know what use is a smartphone to this retired man.his battery life will never diminish.santa cares for this battered man like he cares about all the pain and suffering.
    12-10-11 12:09 AM
    Well,
    I made some tests, since i had the same issue with the battery.
    Yesterday i depleted the battery untill it was 1% and fully charged with the 9700 wall charger. When it was 100% i unplugged the charger. Still no succes. Big discharge, 8 hours usage with a moderate usage of my phone.
    Last night, i depleted until it was 8%, and i used the usb cable and charged my phone by my laptop untill 5.30am.
    I am attaching the discharge rate.
    0.7% !!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-10-11 12:18 AM
    Well,
    I made some tests, since i had the same issue with the battery.
    Yesterday i depleted the battery untill it was 1% and fully charged with the 9700 wall charger. When it was 100% i unplugged the charger. Still no succes. Big discharge, 8 hours usage with a moderate usage of my phone.
    Last night, i depleted until it was 8%, and i used the usb cable and charged my phone by my laptop untill 5.30am.
    I am attaching the discharge rate.
    0.7% !!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    yeah. a lot of people are saying that the slower the charge, the better the batt life.
    12-10-11 12:59 AM
    What is your signal strength? 77dbm?
    At home it's typically about -75dbm.
    12-10-11 10:58 AM
    At this point it might be time to think about exercising that exchange while still inside the trial period; you'll still have time left to see if it's particular to that handset if you get another 9900. If it is, then great - you could wind up getting a 9900 that lasts a good while like EM's and other 9900 owners.
    Yep. I wish the replacement battery would get here so I could test that variable first. As a long-time T-mobile customer, I'm usually treated very well, but this might be pushing things a bit. Still, there's no risk in asking, and if they don't want to do it, I still have my 9780, which will easily give me 24 hours with charge to spare.

I don't expect the same performance from a phone with bigger and faster processor, and a bigger screen. But it seems to me that when the 9900 is on standby, with screen dark, there shouldn't be that big a gap in battery drain. The reception in the places I go is good enough to give me excellent performance on the 9780; it shouldn't be terrible for the 9900. Even in my office, where reception is admittedly poor, the 9780 didn't die trying to connect the way the 9900 does.
    12-10-11 11:06 AM
    I have always been disappointed with BB battery life. I am however on a BES server with constant emails and syncs. Very few calls, but lots of texts and emails. I installed "Tiny Meter" and it is showing about 8% per hour. Only have 61% battery life left after being on charger all night (with phone on). Started using at 8:30 am, and it is not 11:30 am. This is longer than normal as its Saturday with fewer emails, etc. coming in.
    12-10-11 11:25 AM
    All of you seriously need to switch your network settings !! i made a thread about this already and it never really caught much attention.

If you are on CDMA network which i am, you need to switch from GLOBAL to 1X . That setting has no impact whatsoever on your phone or your browser speed. im not even sure if it has any slowdown effects on your download speed. I did this and my hourly dischrage went from 4%-5% to 0.7 to 1.5%. HUGE difference.

If you are on GSM, you need to switch to 2G ...

Maybe someone can chime in more regarding the GSM settings..
    Last edited by paperplanes7; 12-10-11 at 01:02 PM.
    12-10-11 12:48 PM
    Changing to 2G defeats the purpose.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-10-11 01:13 PM
    I'm currently running 2g here all day to just test to see what is running my battery @ 5% when I'm only running the same apps as the phone comes with. Just posting on the thread and popping in. I'm seeing about 10-12 hrs of basic usage with Sms and showing 2 hrs of usage in the app management area.
    12-10-11 02:00 PM
    Changing to 2G defeats the purpose.

Defeats the purpose of what?? The purpose of having a 3G phone ??? What sort of advantage are you gaining with a constant 3G connection anyway ?
    12-10-11 03:41 PM
    If you are on GSM, you need to switch to 2G ...

Maybe someone can chime in more regarding the GSM settings..
    Did that days ago. It made no significant difference.

Today I installed the hybrid .585 OS with .540 radio file. I got a slight improvement in ADR, from 7.2% to 7.0%, pretty consistently, with minimal use. It's not good enough to make the phone keepable for me, but it was a discernible difference.
    12-10-11 05:36 PM
    What sort of advantage are you gaining with a constant 3G connection anyway ?
    Oh I don't know...let me see....

1. Simultaneous voice/data
    2. Better call/voice quality
    3. Actual long term battery savings with faster updates on mail/data/etc.

Should I go further???

When you have to start turning off your freakin GPS/3G/Auto updating/etc. to save battery life, I feel like I'm back in the damn Android forum.

Sheesh!
    12-10-11 05:51 PM
    When you have to start turning off your freakin GPS/3G/Auto updating/etc. to save battery life, I feel like I'm back in the damn Android forum.

Sheesh!
    Exactly. It's not what I want in a BB.

12-10-11 06:00 PM
    I think I would have tried a replacement at this point, but do admire the OP's diligence in trying to find a workable solution.
    12-10-11 06:09 PM
    Am getting better battery life exchanged my previous bad battery today and installed .540 and so far its good
    I would be charging through usb from my PC pending when I buy a nokia charger of 550maH from what people have been saying slower charging = better battery life
    Like I said, installed .540 some hours ago gonna update you guys tomorrow
    12-10-11 06:21 PM
    My god. Just downloaded meter berry and I am hoping the numbers are off since it hasn't adjusted to my device yet, or configure from a charge. Its been installed for about 10 min and says I have a 10.3% discharge rate.

That has to change, no??!!?

12-11-11 12:07 AM
    Paperplanes7 - I was of the understanding 3G was a faster communications protocol?
    Therefore faster data throughput!

Shurly switching to 2G is going to slow everything down!

But that is a significant battery discharge reduction!

I may experiment with that!

12-11-11 02:00 AM
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]Battery life is good with hybrid (.585 with .540 radio)
    Battery discharged from 94 to 41 in 11 hrs.
    12-11-11 02:06 AM
    May be. If you have selected Network Mode '3G & 2G' there is auto switch between 3G & 2G searching for network. That may lead to battery drain. If you are using large data communiucation, downloads, 3G works better as it is faster..
    12-11-11 03:10 AM
    I can tell from my side, that 2G doesn't battery drop as much as on 3G.
    On 2G i can easily go trough an full day with normal usage, and on 3G it's wonky.
    2G seems to have a more stable connection then my 3G connection.
    Maybe it could be my area-coverage, since i currently live in a village.
    So i noticed that 2G eventually lasts me longer then 3G.
    I have tried 2G for quite some time, but didn't want to lose the purpose of 3G.
    I have a great 3G signal at home, always 5 bars but I travel a lot for work and find that the 3g signal is very patchy and the battery does drain quickly as the phone searches for the best signal using the 2G/3G setting.

I get significantly better battery life by using 2G only mode when I am on the road and as I am only using the phone for calls when on the move performance does not suffer.
    12-11-11 06:00 AM
458 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD