Hey guys.

I just want to share my experiences with the bold 9900.
    i got it since two weeks and my opinion: best smartphone ever!

some people say that the battery life is miserable, but i can use my bold for atleast two days, without charging!
    here are some tips:

- turn gps off (turn it on, when you need, otherwise disable it)
    - set screen brightness to 10
    - set network mode to 2G (not 3G and 2G.. only 2G!.. switch to 3G when you need it! 2G is okay for receiving mails!)
    - close unnecessary apps. (hold down menu button, switch to app, press menu button again and close it)

just my two cents

greets
    12-08-11 05:50 PM
    Hey just sharing my two cents:

Had the phone a week, don't know what version the phone came with, but I upgraded right away to 7.0.0.261, battery life sucked, unplugged at 7:30, I was at 20% by noon with everything on, turned all off except radio was only marginally better.

Upgraded to 7.0.0.540 was much better, was between 10-30% over a few days by 5-6pm.

Upgraded to 7.0.0.585 and at 9pm battery is still at 61%, so for me for now .585 seems to be good. All apps are working except Gas Buddy, but I think that's just that app, as others are having same issue.

Greg
    12-08-11 08:13 PM
    Upgraded to 7.0.0.585 and at 9pm battery is still at 61%, so for me for now .585 seems to be good. All apps are working except Gas Buddy, but I think that's just that app, as others are having same issue.

Greg
    Interesting. Most people in the beta forum are getting worse battery performance with .585. But I'll probably try it. I'm trying everything. It's a science project!
    12-08-11 08:41 PM
    I'll add my two cents on this as well:

When I first got the phone last week the battery was horrible. Even when not using it and in sleep mode it discharged a LOT (this was on 7.0.0.440). I upgraded to 7.0.0.540 and initially didn't see any improvement. Then I charged it WHILE ON for a short spell while taking a nap (normally I would charge it overnight with the phone off). What a difference I noticed immediately. I went from 7%-13% to a discharge rate of 5% and currently at 4% most of today. Has made a huge difference. I was ready to go back to my 9700 if the battery issues kept up.

One other thing: I also had changed from the included charger to my 9700 charger right around the same time I saw the big improvement. I just picked up a charging dock, so I'll see how that affects anything.
    Last edited by HowardShap; 12-08-11 at 08:46 PM.
    12-08-11 08:42 PM
    I got my 9900 yesterday. Heavy BBM and Twittering usage and now 15% after 13 hours of use. Not bad?
    12-09-11 12:10 AM
    Will share my tips later today I get amazin battery life
    12-09-11 03:54 AM
    I'd like to share my experiences with the 9900. I am on 540, tried 585 and battery life took a huge hit, 16-17% adr even after charging a couple times so I went back to 540. I bought a spare battery 1500 with J-Series Extra Battery Charger to charge the spare. I find that charging from the handset itself is fairly quick, while the time to charge from the battery charger takes about 3-4 hours from 20% to full. One thing I noticed, whichever battery I used, my adr goes very high from usual 3.6% on 3G, no social apps running to about 15-17% whenever i switched the battery.

So I decided to simply try and charge the battery off the phone and usage again dropped to a stable 3.6% adr. With just 2g on, adr hovering around 1.2-1.5%. No social apps running background, I used it just for bbm and mails basically. I will be testing for another couple of days to see if it's stable with just charging off the phone and not swapping batteries/rebooting the phone. Co's after each swap the phone reboots and adr goes up alot till I charged it off the phone without swapping/rebooting the phone.
    Another thing, my signal bar is always 5 bars/full on 3g or 2g.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by beldandy; 12-09-11 at 08:27 AM.
    12-09-11 08:23 AM
    People please help me i need your help desperately
    here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...y-life-677236/
    12-09-11 09:34 AM
    People please help me i need your help desperately
    here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...y-life-677236/
    Helped!
    12-09-11 09:49 AM
    Turn Radio Off to confirm if battery drain is related to others...
    12-09-11 11:15 AM
    Turn Radio Off to confirm if battery drain is related to others...
    I've done that. When I do, battery drain drops to 3-4% per hour, even with the phone completely idle, screen dark, etc. That seems high to me, but I have no idea what's causing it.
    12-09-11 12:20 PM
    I've done that. When I do, battery drain drops to 3-4% per hour, even with the phone completely idle, screen dark, etc. That seems high to me, but I have no idea what's causing it.
    Have you try reload OS with no APPS and turn the radio off?

Mine is now at 0.5% with radio off and I just turned Radio On to see the difference.

I would really like to get 1% to 1.5% with Radio On, but it seems kinda impossible. It is possible that my Cell Tower doesn't lock my phone that well even it is at 77dbm.
    12-09-11 12:49 PM
    Have you try reload OS with no APPS and turn the radio off?

Mine is now at 0.5% with radio off and I just turned Radio On to see the difference.

I would really like to get 1% to 1.5% with Radio On, but it seems kinda impossible. It is possible that my Cell Tower doesn't lock my phone that well even it is at 77dbm.
    I haven't done that, but I've checked CPU usage for every app in Application Management. This would show whether some app is running and using CPU cycles. All quiet.
    12-09-11 12:58 PM
    I haven't done that, but I've checked CPU usage for every app in Application Management. This would show whether some app is running and using CPU cycles. All quiet.
    I think if you would've done that, then you would be in the range of 0.5% to 1%.

The reason I'm testing this is because I would really like to know how much battery that my cell tower is draining. Then I can start adding apps after that.
    12-09-11 01:13 PM
    I think if you would've done that, then you would be in the range of 0.5% to 1%.
    May I ask why you think this? I just don't see how any apps could be draining the battery without using the CPU.

I may try it anyway, since I'm running out of other things to try, and my replacement battery isn't here yet. But I'd like to have a better understanding of the thinking behind this experiment, since it'll be a major pain to carry it out. You seem to think that apps could be draining the battery just sitting there, without ever running, and that doesn't make any sense to me. Please explain.

The reason I'm testing this is because I would really like to know how much battery that my cell tower is draining. Then I can start adding apps after that.
    I've also tried running on Wifi at home, with cell radio turned off, and hourly drain may be a bit better, but not that much.
    12-09-11 01:36 PM
    Does turning off all unnecessary settings like compression,browser push ,wireless reconcile,wireless synchronization and encryption ,help?
    12-09-11 01:57 PM
    If you have your radio turned off now and seeing below 1% on discharge rate then I think your bb is in good condition.
    12-09-11 01:57 PM
    I've gone ahead and reinstalled the OS with no apps. I'll turn the radios off and report back later.
    12-09-11 02:09 PM
    Does turning off all unnecessary settings like compression,browser push ,wireless reconcile,wireless synchronization and encryption ,help?
    Would you please share where can I found Browser Push setting?
    12-09-11 02:10 PM
    Ive been experimenting over the last few days so haven't posted but now have 2 days results to share and they are perplexing to say the least!

as you know my battery life sucked! 8 hours max before switching off, well I sat here thinking about how good my old 9700`s battery life was and how we are now talking about the relationship between charging / how long/ what charger ect-.

so I decided to use my wifes new 9300 curve (same charger as my old 9700) charger to top my phone up when I got in from work the other day, the 9900 was fully charged (battery full with plug symbol) in just over 1 hour, by the time I went to bed it had dropped a little so plugged it back into the 9900 charger over night.

the next day my battery life improved to 14 hours before 20% and the battery symbol turning orange.

I repeated the charge cycle, ie- topped up for an hour with the 9300 charger then latter that evening over night on the 9900 charger, and again the next day 14 hours with 2 short calls a few txt`s and BBM`s.

I will add that after suffering horrendous battery life I had turned just about everything off that I could but after thinking about the fact that I have strong wi-fi signal in my house I decided to switch it back on for these 2 days.

again today (day 3) 3 calls, several txt`s several BBM`s and my battery has lasted 15 hours!

so in conclusion I have done the following,
    switched wi-fi back on,
    top up charged for 1 hour when nearly flat using the 9300 charger,
    then charged over night with standard 9900 charger.
    oh and I did delete a few un-used apps that RIM gave me for free.

it all goes against logic what with turning wi-fi back on especially as while at work I dont have access to a network and while I am inside the building (which is about 80% of a 12 hour shift) I dont get 3G and only get 2-3 bars on signal strength, so you would expect the phones radio to be working that much harder.

really cant explain these findings, or could it be that the 1 hour charge with the 9300 charger has re-energised the cells in the battery ?

Lee.
    12-09-11 03:38 PM
    If you have your radio turned off now and seeing below 1% on discharge rate then I think your bb is in good condition.
    Well, I've had a few hours to get a baseline with radios offand no apps, and it seems you were right! Battery drain was virtually nil. So now I'm getting a baseline with cell network radio on, at home where reception is excellent. Since MeterBerry is one of the apps not present, I'm using Options>Device>Device to check the battery.

If, after an hour of this, I still have low battery drain (2% or less), I'll be looking at the Bad App scenario. If an hour of radio on but no phone use, and no installed apps, jumps up to 7% where it has hovered all week, then...I'll know it's not the apps causing the drain. Maybe the radios. First let's see what happens.
    12-09-11 05:55 PM
    Well, I've had a few hours to get a baseline with radios offand no apps, and it seems you were right! Battery drain was virtually nil. So now I'm getting a baseline with cell network radio on, at home where reception is excellent. Since MeterBerry is one of the apps not present, I'm using Options>Device>Device to check the battery.

If, after an hour of this, I still have low battery drain (2% or less), I'll be looking at the Bad App scenario. If an hour of radio on but no phone use, and no installed apps, jumps up to 7% where it has hovered all week, then...I'll know it's not the apps causing the drain. Maybe the radios. First let's see what happens.
    Glad It worked for you. Meter Berry can be installed without draining the battery.
    12-09-11 06:08 PM
    Glad It worked for you. Meter Berry can be installed without draining the battery.
    The bad news, however, is that just turning the 2G radio on, in an area with excellent reception, and otherwise not touching the phone at all, drained the battery 5% in an hour.

I don't know what to make of that. It seems way too high to me. That suggests that even with apps uninstalled, even light use would have me back up to 7% an hour again. I can't explain it. It's certainly not the signal strength, which is superb here. None of this makes any sense, really.

It's getting old.
    12-09-11 06:41 PM
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ca/viewit...d=900583716015

Mobile version, but it should jump to the full site. That's the one and the feedback on the seller is excellent.
    Is this battery much thicker than the 9900 orginal one?
    12-09-11 06:42 PM
    The bad news, however, is that just turning the 2G radio on, in an area with excellent reception, and otherwise not touching the phone at all, drained the battery 5% in an hour.

I don't know what to make of that. It seems way too high to me. That suggests that even with apps uninstalled, even light use would have me back up to 7% an hour again. I can't explain it. It's certainly not the signal strength, which is superb here. None of this makes any sense, really.

It's getting old.
    Did you turn Device Location(GPS) off? I did.
    12-09-11 06:58 PM
458 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD