Is the battery life that bad on this phone? im thinking about getting it. Upgrading from the 3 year 9700 (beatened up )
    12-07-11 03:45 PM
    This phone seems to have such polar opposite results with little middle ground. Either great battery life or horrible battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-11 04:15 PM
    I was getting about a day out of mine. Last night i however realized that I can use my playbook charger for my phone, and it has actually doubled my battery life. It's at 56 % at the end of my day, normally would be around 10-20. This is with moderate - to heavy use all day!
    12-07-11 09:20 PM
    Day and a half depending on usage for me. Once that extended battery arrives in the mail, I won't be concerned anymore. $14 + free shipping, just can't beat it.
    12-07-11 10:20 PM
    Also, you cannot overcharge a li-ion battery. It gets prevented by overcharging protective circuitry.
    12-07-11 10:23 PM
    Day and a half depending on usage for me. Once that extended battery arrives in the mail, I won't be concerned anymore. $14 + free shipping, just can't beat it.
    Which one did you buy?

12-08-11 01:21 AM
    Which one did you buy?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ca/viewit...d=900583716015

Mobile version, but it should jump to the full site. That's the one and the feedback on the seller is excellent.
    12-08-11 01:34 AM
    You know what great life battery means? 1.5 days. That's the most silly conclusion ever!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    12-08-11 02:56 AM
    Also, you cannot overcharge a li-ion battery. It gets prevented by overcharging protective circuitry.
    Yeah, I think "overcharge" was the wrong word. Continuously charging so that it doesn't drop below 100% is what I meant.

In any event, it made no difference. What I'm noticing is that when I take the phone off the charger, for the first hour or so it drains at about 4.7-5.0%, then that rate creeps up during the day, even without any increased use of the phone. So by mid-morning, it's up over 7%, idling. If I actually use it for much of anything, it's quickly over 8%.

And as I posted earlier, if I turn the radios off entirely and don't touch the phone at all, with no apps running, it drains at 3-4%/hour.

I was thinking in terms of the battery being unable to "hold a charge", but I suppose it could just as easily be that the battery's actual capacity is much less than what it's supposed to be.

In any case, if the replacement battery is as bad, I'm returning the 9900 and going back to the 9780.
    12-08-11 07:33 AM
    i use my pb charger and it lasts me a day and a half with moderate use. I am contantly on the phone reading or texting, i dont know how your phones give off such crappy battery life.
    12-08-11 07:48 AM
    i use my pb charger and it lasts me a day and a half with moderate use. I am contantly on the phone reading or texting, i dont know how your phones give off such crappy battery life.
    I tried the PB charger last night, since a few people said they were having better luck with it. So far, no difference. And this is with zero reading and texting, and hardly any use of the phone at all except checking battery drain once in a while!
    12-08-11 07:52 AM
    Will confirm with screenshots later but I've tried the advice EvilMasterMMA has given and my batter discharge is less than 2 percent at idle on 3G. Its aruound 2.8 percent when a few of my bbm groups r going wild with replies. Battery life has definitely improved following his instructions in this thread.
    12-08-11 07:54 AM
    where do i find evilmastermma's instructions?
    12-08-11 08:32 AM
    where do i find evilmastermma's instructions?
    See pages 2 and 3 in this thread.
    12-08-11 08:49 AM
    And, for the sake of completeness, I'm going to roll back to .540 from 7.1 and do a clean OS install. I very much doubt that this will make a difference, but I want to be sure that I've tried everything.
    12-08-11 09:47 AM
    And, for the sake of completeness, I'm going to roll back to .540 from 7.1 and do a clean OS install. I very much doubt that this will make a difference, but I want to be sure that I've tried everything.
    If that doesn't work, maybe a new battery really is the answer. I've been home all morning, barely using my 9930 - pic below is from 8am to now, checked a couple emails and texts, but no browsing or messaging, no calls as yet. Should be noted that I started at 95% off the charger, not entirely sure why that is but I have a couple theories.

I think someone asked this, and I may have missed the answer, but what do you have your network technology set at? Not sure if changing that would have as profound of an effect on a 9900 as it does on a 9930 (or other CDMA devices).

12-08-11 11:45 AM
    I think someone asked this, and I may have missed the answer, but what do you have your network technology set at? Not sure if changing that would have as profound of an effect on a 9900 as it does on a 9930 (or other CDMA devices).
    We don't have that setting on the 9900.
    12-08-11 11:49 AM
    Welp, just finished a 16 hour shift at work. Been on the phone a lot today, tons of bbm messages. Surfed the net through most breaks. It was a very busy day. I took the phone off the charger about an hour before I went to work, I ran around for about an hour after work doing stuff. And just got home with 40% battery life remaining.

I had a little competition with a guy at work today, he's a computer science student who is apprenticing in one of our labs. He's got the new iPhone. First thing in the morning I went to his office, I was sitting at 98% he was at 100% with his phone still plugged in. So I challenged him to a battery life duel as I knew it was going to be a marathon shift. He laughed and thought he was going to win.

By noon, he was down to 75% while I was down to 83%. Plus I used my phone way more than him. A few hours later, he was down to 50% while I was still at 72%, again, I used mine way more. by 12 hours into the shift, he was dead in the water. Had to plug it in. While I was still sitting at 60%. It was a great day

He says he's going to buy a 9900 now. He couldn't believe it. We also had another student try to tag alone with his samsung galaxy thing. That was pretty funny, 5 hours into the shift and he was dead in the water. Those things SUCK!

0.3% discharge is AMAZING Reubechs!, you got me beat. Lowest I have seen is 0.6%. Props
    emirozmen likes this.
    12-08-11 12:33 PM
    Hey guys I've been reading and following this thread. I seem to keep having the same issues when running with radio's off I see about 1.5% rate drop, when turning just eh
    "4G" on I see 6 - 7.2% drop. Very Odd. I had my off charge from 9am-8pm and was 6-7 percent almost dead. I am waiting on a extended battery or maybe purchase another battery for backup. I normally saw 14-18 hrs with same usage out of my 9810. So we'll see...
    12-08-11 12:33 PM
    We don't have that setting on the 9900.
    I wasn't 100% certain, thanks for clarifying. The thing I'm wondering is that possibly the high drain you and others experience with the 9900 ties into the bricking/nuking/JVM errors phenomena; as I noted and the screencap below shows, Meterberry reports my device as being fully charged at 95%*. Others have posted similar findings, and my thought is that there's some glitch with the 99xx in particular over the other OS 7 devices in where the fully booted OS isn't correctly discerning charge levels. It's a technical guess-timation that's broad enough to cover most of the symptoms reported and explain why RIM is going for the software fix.

*Although it doesn't show "charging complete" it simply stops, and I get a solid green light when off.

Welp, just finished a 16 hour shift at work. Been on the phone a lot today, tons of bbm messages. Surfed the net through most breaks. It was a very busy day. I took the phone off the charger about an hour before I went to work, I ran around for about an hour after work doing stuff. And just got home with 40% battery life remaining.

I had a little competition with a guy at work today, he's a computer science student who is apprenticing in one of our labs. He's got the new iPhone. First thing in the morning I went to his office, I was sitting at 98% he was at 100% with his phone still plugged in. So I challenged him to a battery life duel as I knew it was going to be a marathon shift. He laughed and thought he was going to win.

By noon, he was down to 75% while I was down to 83%. Plus I used my phone way more than him. A few hours later, he was down to 50% while I was still at 72%, again, I used mine way more. by 12 hours into the shift, he was dead in the water. Had to plug it in. While I was still sitting at 60%. It was a great day

He says he's going to buy a 9900 now. He couldn't believe it. We also had another student try to tag alone with his samsung galaxy thing. That was pretty funny, 5 hours into the shift and he was dead in the water. Those things SUCK!

0.3% discharge is AMAZING Reubechs!, you got me beat. Lowest I have seen is 0.6%. Props
    That was almost completely idle, now that I'm gearing up for work things are getting busy - went up to 1%/hour.
    Last edited by Reubechs; 12-08-11 at 01:13 PM.
    12-08-11 01:10 PM
    That was almost completely idle, now that I'm gearing up for work things are getting busy - went up to 1%/hour.
    And when my phone is completely idle, with the radios turned off, it's over 3%/hour. A tenfold difference.

It's certainly possible that it's a software glitch of some sort. If so, it's startling how differently it affects different devices.

Incidentally, rolling back to a clean install of .540 has had no effect yet.
    12-08-11 01:28 PM
    Keep us posted ubizmo I would like to know if there's any change. I'm loving the snappiness of the phone and love the device as a whole. Alot better than my 9810.
    12-08-11 02:04 PM
    Was on .540 battery was decent, I could get through a day with having %10 by midnight. Now reloaded .540 and having perfect life! At least 1.5 days here
    12-08-11 02:34 PM
    why did you actually reloaded .540?
    Because my battery life was getting worse from day to day. Not when on wifi but when I was using 3G only and when my device was idle I used to get %1 discharge rate but the last week the number increased to %6-7!!
    Reloaded .540 and everything back to normal
    12-08-11 04:46 PM
    With .540 reloaded, I'm back up to 7%/hour even at home, less than a quarter mile from a tower.

It won't be easy getting used to the screen and keyboard of the 9780 again. I'm spoiled now!

12-08-11 04:54 PM
458 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD