The Nokia charger arrived yesterday. I let the phone shut off due to low battery last night, then put it on the "new" charger.

This morning, since charging, with almost zero use of the phone, I've been getting about 5.5%/hour battery drain. This is better than yesterday's 7.2%, but still seems high to me, considering I've done virtually nothing with the phone, and I've been in good reception.

I'm in my office now, where reception is poor. I've turned the radios off, putting the phone into "airplane mode", just to see what kind of battery drain I get with no radio use at all. If it stays at around 5% at least I'll know it's not the radios that are draining the battery.

I've noticed that the battery temperature is typically around 84F, but this morning when I took it off the charger it was 77F. I often have the phone in my shirt pocket, so it absorbs some warmth from my body. Of course, I always carried my 9780 there too, and it didn't make any difference.
    12-06-11 07:41 AM
    It is not impossible, I've seen the discharge rate as low as 0.6% with GPS/WIFI and bridged bluetooth. My discharge rate always hovers between 0.6% and 1.5%. Has since .503.

I just don't use any of those silly social apps that update every 5 minutes. And I don't use apps that load into memory on boot. I also watch apps closely, if I install something and see a hit in my discharge rate, it's gone. All the apps I listed above are battery friendly.

When in low signal areas, I do notice my discharge rate dropping to around 2 to 2.5%.

I work 12 hour shifts. At the end of a shift I am usually sitting around 60% battery life. I've done two shifts in a row and got home with 15%.

iPhones and Androids can't keep up in this environment without charging during the shift. And they can not last two shifts.
    Check the battery where is it made ?
    12-06-11 08:17 AM
    My phone is never lower than 80! How do you get such low numbers? And why are people complaining about a 5% discharge when I average over 10%?
    12-06-11 08:19 AM
    My phone is never lower than 80! How do you get such low numbers? And why are people complaining about a 5% discharge when I average over 10%?
    An average rate of 5% is acceptable to me. It's enough to get me through a day, with some power to spare for intervals of heavy usage. But it remains to be seen whether I can get a consistent average of 5%/hour.

Why do you suppose we would or should tie our complaints by comparing our battery performance to yours? Unless, I were constantly using the phone, 10% would be completely unacceptable to me. If it's acceptable to you, that doesn't change my opinion.
    12-06-11 08:28 AM
    My 9900 made in hungary 2 and battery made in korea/china
    And having installed .540 my battery last maximum of 8 hours
    I don't have plenty apps installed, location off, and the refresh rate of my twitter client, ubersocial is 20. Mins
    But it lasts for 8 hours only ? Why ?
    My 9780 does 14 hours easily
    And I use it lightly not heavily
    Gonna try .503
    12-06-11 08:32 AM
    Update: I did a reset before turning the radios off, to get a fresh baseline. They have been off for an hour. The phone has just been sitting on my desk, screen darkened. I haven't touched it, except just now to check the battery level.

One hour in this state drained the battery 3%.
    12-06-11 08:41 AM
    Here is a meterberry screen shot for you taken 1 minute ago, just to prove my point.

Click to view quoted image

Notice it says 90 hours of battery remaining with 91% left and a 1% per hour discharge rate...That is a "properly tuned" blackberry bold 9900 working as it should.
    I absolutely am experiencing the same battery life. OS .540
    Battery life is simply a NON-ISSUE for me now.
    12-06-11 09:01 AM
    So you put your phone on charge at least every two hours?

12-06-11 09:02 AM
    Have you ever replaced the Battery? My phone arrived with a dead battery (Red X on startup) I ordered a new battery actually from Crackberry and my phone has been golden ever since. My carrier reimburse me for the Battery too!

The Nokia charger arrived yesterday. I let the phone shut off due to low battery last night, then put it on the "new" charger.

This morning, since charging, with almost zero use of the phone, I've been getting about 5.5%/hour battery drain. This is better than yesterday's 7.2%, but still seems high to me, considering I've done virtually nothing with the phone, and I've been in good reception.

I'm in my office now, where reception is poor. I've turned the radios off, putting the phone into "airplane mode", just to see what kind of battery drain I get with no radio use at all. If it stays at around 5% at least I'll know it's not the radios that are draining the battery.

I've noticed that the battery temperature is typically around 84F, but this morning when I took it off the charger it was 77F. I often have the phone in my shirt pocket, so it absorbs some warmth from my body. Of course, I always carried my 9780 there too, and it didn't make any difference.
    12-06-11 09:10 AM
    Have you ever replaced the Battery? My phone arrived with a dead battery (Red X on startup) I ordered a new battery actually from Crackberry and my phone has been golden ever since. My carrier reimburse me for the Battery too!
    I haven't replaced it. I've had the phone less than a week. I guess it's possible that the battery is defective. I doubt that T-Mobile would cover it, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

As much as I like this phone, if I can't get decent battery life there's really no justification for keeping it.
    12-06-11 09:22 AM
    I didn't mean to say I am happy with 10%, just that I can't believe you are having only 5% discharge with moderately heavy use! I am very UNhappy if other users are averaging 5 with the same usage as me.
    12-06-11 09:27 AM
    I use the phone quite a bit, about 2-3 hrs of calls a day, 100+ emails, 50+ bbms & texts. Was getting between 5-8%. Had only social scope on an hourly refresh. Disabled it today. Battery drain reduced by 30%. Been off the charger for 12+ hrs, sitting on 50% use left(14h acc to meterberry).

This is pretty good for a business phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-11 09:30 AM
    I meant 80 degrees not percent.
    12-06-11 09:30 AM
    I didn't mean to say I am happy with 10%, just that I can't believe you are having only 5% discharge with moderately heavy use! I am very UNhappy if other users are averaging 5 with the same usage as me.
    I'm getting 5% with extremely light use, at the moment--hardly using the phone at all. And 3% with radios off and no use at all!

I'll see if the Nokia charger improves things over a period of several days. It's better today than it was yesterday anyway.
    12-06-11 09:33 AM
    I haven't replaced it. I've had the phone less than a week. I guess it's possible that the battery is defective. I doubt that T-Mobile would cover it, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

As much as I like this phone, if I can't get decent battery life there's really no justification for keeping it.
    If it's only been a week do you have an exchange option with them?
    12-06-11 10:11 AM
    here's my MeterBerry snap im on OS .540

2G, with 5 mins of calls, a few texts and some twitter action, this was about 2.25pm

Berryweather refresh every hour, BeBuzz for all alerts, location and wifi both off
    Last edited by paulbadassbriant; 12-06-11 at 10:43 AM.
    12-06-11 10:14 AM
    As the Thread starter Im amazed at how much discussion this thread has caused although its turned into some very interesting reading.

it seems there are 2 camps here, those that get a reasonable amount of time from there charge and those that dont.

it seems to me there must be something more to it than what apps ect are installed, it has to be down to the tech itself (maybe battery)!

Ive owned many mobile phones and other tech that requires recharging batterys and have never encountered a battery as bad as the one in my 9900.

as an example todays state of charge started by taking it off charge at 9.00am this morning, with 100% by 11am I was sat in starbucks and checked and found I was down to 75%.

I have just a few apps inc- Accuweather, whatsapp, free battery saver, 2 youtube apps, wikitude,scanlife, breezy, photo studio and I do use the Facebook and twitter apps aswel as the social apps for RSS feeds, however Im in no way a social-lite and only get between 4-10 alerts on these each day.

I probably only make a few short calls a day (today none so-far) maybe a few txt`s but would say I would BBM 5-10 times a day.

I also have Telmap navigator installed but only use it once a fortnight.

I have wireless turned off most of the day, location is set to off.

one point I would make is that I use a Pico-cell (Vodafone sure-signal device) at home as I live in a mobile signal black-spot so the sure signal provides full scale 3G signal in and around my house.

I just checked and after 7 hours (now 16.00pm) with the above factors, 3 bbm`s 1 txt and NO calls I have 45% remaining.

as per Evils suggestion of calibrating the battery by draining it completely, Well mine does that just about every day as it will drain and switch itself off sometime early this evening while I am sitting watching TV (as it always dose).

I have a Playbook for xmas with the intention of using it in work as an e-reader / media player, with a bit of internet browsing, it appears to me I will have to have my 9900 tethered to the charger or I wont be able to use it.

I mentioned I was expecting delivery of a new battery from Vodafone but as of yet this hasnt arrived, I can only hope that I have a poor battery and that the new one will be better?

another note on being careful with apps ect! I never had this problem with either my previous Bold`s so find it hard to believe this is the sole cause.

its a shame that Blackberry cant issue a list of what apps consume what power which would then allow a more informed choice?

Lee.
    12-06-11 10:19 AM
    On the 9900 you don't have such option!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, that was my guess. But I'm not familiar with the 9900.
    12-06-11 10:38 AM
    As the Thread starter Im amazed at how much discussion this thread has caused although its turned into some very interesting reading.

it seems there are 2 camps here, those that get a reasonable amount of time from there charge and those that dont.

it seems to me there must be something more to it than what apps ect are installed, it has to be down to the tech itself (maybe battery)!
    Yes, it's starting to look that way. With 2G turned on again today, I'm back up to 7.3%/hour, with very light use of the phone.

The most inexplicable thing to me so far is that I had 3%/hour in airplane mode with the phone sitting unused on my desk! Others are getting <2% with radios and GPS on and actually using their phones!

I invite anyone who's interested in this, if you have MeterBerry, to try the airplane mode experiment for a hour and report your result. Just do a reset, turn off network, wifi, GPS, BT, and let your phone sit untouched for an hour. Whatever differences we see can't be explained by signal issues or usage patterns.
    12-06-11 12:54 PM
    So This afternoon I had to charge the phone. it was down to about 30%

It was fully charged by 15:30 and is currently on 95 %
    This morning within 3 hours of being off charge it was down to 70% WIFI off / Bluetooth off

Certain variables have changed.
    After the rapid discharge this morning I did a battery pull.
    The phone was charged from a PC USB port and not the standard charger
    I have not ran a certain App which I suspect to be suspect.
    Wifi on bluetooth on. paired to PB
    12-06-11 01:18 PM
    Yes, it's starting to look that way. With 2G turned on again today, I'm back up to 7.3%/hour, with very light use of the phone.

The most inexplicable thing to me so far is that I had 3%/hour in airplane mode with the phone sitting unused on my desk! Others are getting <2% with radios and GPS on and actually using their phones!

I invite anyone who's interested in this, if you have MeterBerry, to try the airplane mode experiment for a hour and report your result. Just do a reset, turn off network, wifi, GPS, BT, and let your phone sit untouched for an hour. Whatever differences we see can't be explained by signal issues or usage patterns.
    I'm a battery fanatic....and just coming up to speed on this thread and have installed Meterberry. Will see what I see. I am running 3g, no wifi or bluetooth currently because I am at a conference. seeing about 4.5%. Don't run anything in background and deleted blackberry travel today because I think it might be a hog.
    12-06-11 01:20 PM
    What is the Nokia charger and how is it supposed to help the battery?
    12-06-11 01:44 PM
    What is the Nokia charger and how is it supposed to help the battery?
    See this thread, and others by the same person.

What he's saying is also consistent with EvilmasterMMA in this thread, who gets great battery life but doesn't use a charger at all; he only uses a USB connection to his computer, which also has a lower output than the OEM charger.

After one night's use of the Nokia charger, I'm not seeing much improvement now, but I'm going to keep at it.

Edit: repeated one-hour reset and turn all radios off. This time the battery is draining at 3.4%/hour.
    Last edited by ubizmo; 12-06-11 at 02:28 PM.
    12-06-11 01:54 PM
    one point I would make is that I use a Pico-cell (Vodafone sure-signal device) at home as I live in a mobile signal black-spot so the sure signal provides full scale 3G signal in and around my house.
    How do you get on with this? Did you have to buy it?

I also live in a weak signal area and I know my phone works hard all day at home just to keep one or two bars of GPRS signal - I've considered getting a Sure-Signal, or even having a rant at Vodafone to see if they'll donate me one....!
    12-06-11 02:26 PM
    spent a few 1 hour shots with all radios off. Ranged from 1.5% to 2.5% depending on how many times I looked "in the oven".

7.1 BTW
    Last edited by cwoodffr; 12-06-11 at 04:43 PM.
    12-06-11 04:26 PM
458 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD