Here is a meterberry screen shot for you taken 1 minute ago, just to prove my point.

Click to view quoted image

Notice it says 90 hours of battery remaining with 91% left and a 1% per hour discharge rate...That is a "properly tuned" blackberry bold 9900 working as it should.
    I have similar results on my 9900. 89% after taking it off the charger at 7:30am, it's now 3pm, 0.7% Avg. Discharge Rate. Mostly emails and some BBM's so far today.
    12-05-11 02:01 PM
    I have similar results on my 9900. 89% after taking it off the charger at 7:30am, it's now 3pm, 0.7% Avg. Discharge Rate. Mostly emails and some BBM's so far today.
    Interesting. That's a tenfold difference in battery drain between your 9900 and mine.

I've never even used BBM.
    12-05-11 02:11 PM
    Evil, that's crazy. I get between 12-20 hrs from my phone depending on usage. Similar config to yours only I'm on 2g, no gps, no bt.

There's obviously a secret you have that you aren't sharing

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-11 02:16 PM
    So, as I write this, my 9900 has also been off the charger about 7 hours. According to MeterBerry, my battery is at 49%, with an average discharge rate of 7.2%/hour. GPS is off. BT is off. WiFi is off; network set to 2G. Social Feeds app is deleted. FaceBook and Twitter apps are set not to refresh except when opened. The same is true for Go Reader. BerryWeather updates once per hour. I use BeeJive instead of individual IM apps, but it hasn't been turned on yet today. I had one phone call so far that lasted 13 seconds. I checked Go Reader once this morning and read a dozen or so emails. Screen brightness at 10; timeout at 30 seconds. Network reception excellent, mostly 5 bars (not at office today). OS 7.1 today, but this is consistent with what I was getting with 7.0.0.540.

You've used your 9900 much more than I've used mine. My settings are more restrictive than yours. But your hourly battery consumption rate is under 2%; mine is over 7%. From the screencap you posted, I may actually have better reception than what you're getting today.

I'd like to make sense of this, but I'm not succeeding.
    I'd take a look at how much your signal fluctuates - mine might be three bars but it's a steady three bars. If your device is hunting for signal or handing off towers it can really eat up battery life. Also I use the RIM-provided IM clients, I've never really gotten into using anything else because the RIM ones are better integrated and the others don't have keyboard shortcut launchers. After that, I do the same thing as EM is doing with his battery, been doing that for a few years now with great results.
    12-05-11 02:29 PM
    I'd take a look at how much your signal fluctuates - mine might be three bars but it's a steady three bars. If your device is hunting for signal or handing off towers it can really eat up battery life. Also I use the RIM-provided IM clients, I've never really gotten into using anything else because the RIM ones are better integrated and the others don't have keyboard shortcut launchers. After that, I do the same thing as EM is doing with his battery, been doing that for a few years now with great results.
    At home, signal is excellent and steady, but I'm still getting 7+%/hour. As for the IM clients, I've used BeeJive for years with no problem, but in any case that's not the issue at the moment, because I haven't had BeeJive open.

I'm wondering if I should request a handset exchange.

Edit: I won't do that until I see whether using the Nokia charger makes a difference. It's certainly possible that at least some of the chargers that are being shipped with the 9900s are causing poor battery performance.
    Last edited by ubizmo; 12-05-11 at 03:05 PM.
    12-05-11 03:01 PM
    I don't understand why people keep moaning about the battery life, my battery life has so far been great. I've been able to go 12 hours straight after a full charge, and IMO I think that's good considering I had wifi on, was bbming, whatsapp-ing, texting and browsing the net. My screen light is turned all the way down, I think the lowest is 10%, twitter doesn't refresh unless I do it, facebook has been deleted off my phone.
    12-05-11 05:15 PM
    Off the charger at 6am this morning. Lots of calls and emails today and I have 10% left right now. I'd like more if I could. Would a hybrid give me more life?

12-05-11 06:20 PM
    I don't understand why people keep moaning about the battery life, my battery life has so far been great. I've been able to go 12 hours straight after a full charge, and IMO I think that's good considering I had wifi on, was bbming, whatsapp-ing, texting and browsing the net. My screen light is turned all the way down, I think the lowest is 10%, twitter doesn't refresh unless I do it, facebook has been deleted off my phone.
    I don't think 12 hours is "great", given the usage you describe, unless you really spent hours doing the things you mention. In any case, does it help you to understand that those of us who are getting 12 hours from a single charge doing very little with our phones are moaning?

It's about 13.5 hours off the charger for me today. My 9900 is just about to say sayonara for the day. But today I received the Nokia old-school charger, so I'll be interested to see how it goes. But first I'll let the BB shut down.
    12-05-11 06:23 PM
    At home, signal is excellent and steady, but I'm still getting 7+%/hour. As for the IM clients, I've used BeeJive for years with no problem, but in any case that's not the issue at the moment, because I haven't had BeeJive open.

I'm wondering if I should request a handset exchange.

Edit: I won't do that until I see whether using the Nokia charger makes a difference. It's certainly possible that at least some of the chargers that are being shipped with the 9900s are causing poor battery performance.
    Charger could factor in; also how the phone is used for calls could be a consideration - in my experience if I keep calls short I get better life. The longer calls tend to kill my battery. As far as charging practices, during the week I have it set to auto-off at night but not on the weekend, I see no difference in performance either way.
    12-05-11 06:40 PM
    Charger could factor in; also how the phone is used for calls could be a consideration - in my experience if I keep calls short I get better life. The longer calls tend to kill my battery. As far as charging practices, during the week I have it set to auto-off at night but not on the weekend, I see no difference in performance either way.
    Actual phone calls are pretty low in the list of what I do with my BB. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, today I had exactly one phone call, lasting 13 seconds. My battery went belly-up a little while ago, and I put it on the Nokia charger. Looking at usage, settings, reception, and everything else I can think of, I can't see that I'm doing anything that would explain a tenfold difference in my battery usage compared to that of rick0415 a few posts back.

Even if his and EM's and Reubech's battery drain rates are exceptionally good, it still seems that I should be able to split the difference and get something in the range of 3-4%/hour of light use.
    12-05-11 07:09 PM
    no need to get new double aa batteries because the battery never dies due to 0 contacts texting,emailing,calling etc.idle as a dead spider.
    12-05-11 07:10 PM
    There's obviously a secret you have that you aren't sharing
    I don't have a secret. At least I don't think I do...

The only thing that might be a tad out of the ordinary that I do, is when I upgrade to a new OS. I always have a fully charged battery when I install the new OS. Then I run the phone until it turns off, and leave it on the charger for a full night (usually 8-10 hours). This is just the same routine I have been using for years.

And I have never used the wall charger on my phone, it is still taped up and in the original box that it came in. I only charge my device via USB to my computer. I am not even using the USB cable that came with my bold, it is also still in the original box. I am using the USB cable from my old Curve 3G. It is a longer and thicker cable than what came with my bold, so I kept it.

I am not sure if that makes any kind of difference. But that is my setup.

It is good to see other people here having similar results as me. This was bugging me all day, I thought I had some sort of unique situation and was worried that I was giving bad advice. It's nice to see that I am not the only one.

Maybe some of you who are experiencing high drain rates of 5-7%/hr plus. Might want to do a device wipe and fresh install of the OS to see if it fixes your situation. I'd flatten it and go with a base OS minus the social feeds and no wifi sync to get a baseline before I installed any apps to see if it fixes stuff.

Another thing to look at is signal strength. I am lucky in this regard as my house is within 2km of a carrier tower and direct line of sight. And at work I am within 1km of a carrier tower, I look out my office window and it is right there. That could be a reason why I get slightly better battery life than some of those who have similar results to me. I also use WIFI while at work and at home, which also locks in 100%, so my phone is never really searching around for signals. It's always locked in pretty good.

Dunno if this helps, but that's my story.

Cheers.
    12-05-11 07:31 PM
    How do you remove wireless sync?

12-05-11 10:34 PM
    I would be happy if my discharge was 7%!! I average 11% I already charged my phone twice today.
    12-05-11 11:22 PM
    I was going 2% for the first couple weeks or so. Steady 4% now with a ton of apps installed
    12-05-11 11:53 PM
    The reason why evil is getting a great battery life is because he is always on wifi
    9900 seems to use more power when using the cell towers, but gains a better life when your using wifi

Sources: random sites and post reading
    12-05-11 11:55 PM
    Here is what I have after 12 hours... not too bad. Even had an hour phone conversation.

12-06-11 12:24 AM
    Also... I believe this is key too. I'm not sure if this is the same for 9900's. But if you're on VZW, change it to 1XEV.

Can someone clarify if it is the same for 9900's?

12-06-11 12:26 AM
    an hour phone conversation is possible with decent amount of contacts.0 contacts results =0 conversations.also with contacts life would become more interesting with chat services such as bbm,imessage,yahoo,windows live,etc all becoming useful.guess santa doesn't give some kids that kind of luck with obtaining conversing contacts. oh well.
    12-06-11 01:15 AM
    Also... I believe this is key too. I'm not sure if this is the same for 9900's. But if you're on VZW, change it to 1XEV.

Can someone clarify if it is the same for 9900's?

Click to view quoted image
    that is exactly what i did about a month ago and i went from a 3 -4% idle discharge to a 1-2% discharge. i was so excited about it i even started a thread!!!!
    wolfee48 likes this.
    12-06-11 01:35 AM
    On the 9900 you don't have such option!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    12-06-11 01:44 AM
    Yesterday was my first full days test really.

I got around 18hours of what I would consider quite light use with 3% charge remaining.
    On my Torch I would generally only use around 50% in a day. Same apps running bluetooth bridged to PB and WIFI on.

At least from what I had read on here I was kind of expecting it.
    12-06-11 02:25 AM
    WOW! Not sure what is going on but down to 55% in 4 hours today
    12-06-11 04:22 AM
    Im running 10 hours idle, 2 hours use.
    still have 45% juice left. On 7.1 leak.
    12-06-11 05:00 AM
    After update, now using v7.0.0.540 , here are details;
    Programs using : Beweather, Bebuzz, TrafficMonitor, DeUnblock, Digital Menu, MultiAlarm, BBM.
    3G off, Location services off, Clock autoupdate off.
    Uninstalled : Socialfeeds, Gtalk, whatsapp, tweeter.
    Screen brightness %10 and 20secs.
    Bought a Nokia charger with 1200ma.

Daily, 1hour talk, 20-30 bbm, 10-15sms.
    Standby time raised to 2,5 - 3 days.
    Before it was 1 day and a half max. v7 made hue difference for me. Bold made in Hungary.
    Last edited by tooberk; 12-06-11 at 06:45 AM.
    12-06-11 06:42 AM
458 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD