Have tried all of that, and more. Tried .540 and went back to .503.
    I'm also very strict with apps, if they start to affect battery they're gone.
    only conclusion i can come to is maybe you have a new hardware revision of the 9900 or a new revision of the battery or both.
    Cause as you can see on crackberry, there are never ending posts on bad battery and friends of mine complain about battery. In comparison to the 9700, no one ever complained about that battery.
    All this talk about battery has now made me buy this 1500 battery just to squeeze out 15%
    Replacement 3.7V 1500mAh Battery w/ Decoder for BlackBerry Bold BLA 9900/9930 - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    12-05-11 04:43 AM
    Phone
    Model: RDE71UW
    Made In Mexico 4
    PCB-31275-009
    PRD-39473-005

Battery
    BAT-30616-006
    Lot Code: DC110809
    JSM 9B01295
    will1881 likes this.
    12-05-11 05:01 AM
    Battery seems similar.
    So i'd guess the main difference with me is i have Hungary 2.

Mexico 4, FTW!

Edit:
    Just checked with one of my friends, he has Mexico 4 with same battery issues as me. So maybe not FTW
    Last edited by will1881; 12-05-11 at 05:13 AM.
    12-05-11 05:03 AM
    Hmmmm that's interesting.
    12-05-11 05:09 AM
    Can you please tell me what you did for calibrating the battery?
    Thank you

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    12-05-11 05:38 AM
    Click to view quoted image

I took it off the charger 8 hours ago. When I took it off the charger, it was at 98%. Since then I have a little over 50 minutes of total talk time combined from a dozen incoming and outgoing calls. I have 23 bbm incoming messages with 13 outgoing. 9 emails in 4 emails out. 6 standard txt messages in. And about 45 minutes of combined web browsing time. I am now sitting at 84% battery remaining.

Click to view quoted image

The only reason it shows 1.3% discharge rate is because I just got off the phone before I took the screen shot.

This is not something out of the ordinary. Anybody with a bold 9900 can do this. Just get .540 installed, calibrate your battery and be selective with what apps you use. It's not rocket science.

btw...I find I actually get better battery life when it is bridged with my playbook via bluetooth. I think it is because I read emails and bbm messages on the tablet instead of activating the backlight on my phones screen to do it.
    Well, you've clearly got a super charged 9900 on your hands, because I don't believe there's another on earth that's performing like yours. Either that, or you've made an error or three in your feedback.....
    12-05-11 05:44 AM
    Thank you

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    It's BS my friend. You don't need to calibrate your battery.
    12-05-11 05:45 AM
    The only error in my feedback was that I rounded my time off the charger up from seven hours and forty minutes to an even 8 hours to save some typing. Otherwise, what you see is what you get.

Thank you
    A lot of people disagree with this, but it does work. Let the battery run itself down under normal usage until the unit shuts itself off. Then, while it's off, plug it in and let it charge over night. I do this after every OS install.
    12-05-11 06:20 AM
    The only error in my feedback was that I rounded my time off the charger up from seven hours and forty minutes to an even 8 hours to save some typing. Otherwise, what you see is what you get.

A lot of people disagree with this, but it does work. Let the battery run itself down under normal usage until the unit shuts itself off. Then, while it's off, plug it in and let it charge over night. I do this after every OS install.
    Your advice goes against physics and the advice of battery manufacturers. This will do your battery more harm than good.
    12-05-11 06:25 AM
    It will not hurt the battery and it doesn't contradict the laws of physics lol. The bold shuts itself down before the battery reaches zero. This is a quick way to settle in the battery on the new OS. Works fine. It's better than waiting days for things to settle.

Here is another screen shot taken this very minute. This is now after a full 10 hours off the charger taken while browsing the web, just for you. It is now 7:35am my time.

Last edited by EvilmasterMMA; 12-05-11 at 06:39 AM.
    12-05-11 06:35 AM
    Dunno Steve, looks like it's all real to me.
    i believe!
    12-05-11 06:38 AM
    My settings are comparable to EvilmasterMMA's, or perhaps a bit more conservative. I've been running .504. The only app that refreshes periodically is BerryWeather. So far, even when my only use is to check the battery status once an hour or so, I'm using about 4.6% per hour, at best. Sometimes 7% per hour. And this is with nearly no use at all. If I actually use the phone, I can easily go up to 9% per hour.

These figures are tested at home, where 4G reception is excellent. I have let the battery run all the way down (unplanned, but it happened). I haven't tried the Nokia slow charger yet. I've ordered one but don't have it yet.

Last night I installed OS 7.1 to see if it makes a difference.

I'm really not sure what more "tuning" I can do. I'm therefore skeptical of the claim that "Anybody with a bold 9900 can do this." I hope it's true, but I can't confirm it yet.
    12-05-11 07:15 AM
    Well I am not lying to people, I gave you guys 3 separate screen shots taken hours apart. Meter berry isn't lying either.

And in a couple hours, my 12 hour shift will end. I will then go home and when I get there, I will have between 60-70% battery life left. Just like every other day and just like I said in this thread. And if I decide to, I can just turn my phone off and throw it on my night stand and crawl in bed for an 8 hour sleep. I can then wake up, grab a bite to eat, take a shower, turn my phone back on and come back to work for another 12 hour shift and have 10-20% battery remaining when I get home at the end of that shift.
    12-05-11 07:17 AM
    Well I am not lying to people, I gave you guys 3 separate screen shots taken hours apart. Meter berry isn't lying either.
    I don't think you're lying. I just don't think there's any confirmation yet for your claim that anyone who does what you're doing will get the results you're getting. As far as I can tell, I've taken the same steps you've taken, and I'm not getting anywhere near the results you're getting.

Battery life is one of the main reasons why I returned my Android phone. If I can't do better with the 9900, I'll return it too. So far, it's not promising.
    12-05-11 07:34 AM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar

And in a couple hours, my 12 hour shift will end. I will then go home and when I get there, I will have between 60-70% battery life left. Just like every other day and just like I said in this thread. And if I decide to, I can just turn my phone off and throw it on my night stand and crawl in bed for an 8 hour sleep. I can then wake up, grab a bite to eat, take a shower, turn my phone back on and come back to work for another 12 hour shift and have 10-20% battery remaining when I get home at the end of that shift.
    impressive!!
    12-05-11 07:52 AM
    impressive!!
    It is indeed, and therefore worth trying to replicate. But I'm running out of ideas of things to try.
    12-05-11 10:25 AM
    Same here, I always checked to see there's no running apps running background. Even switched to just 2G use, usage varies from 5-10% adr.
    12-05-11 10:29 AM
    Evilmastermma...

I get great battery life, but not quite as good as you. I'm jealous.

One thing I noticed for all of you to consider is temperature. I noticed Evil's temperature sitting around the 60 degrees. This will help pro-long your battery. When I'm at home my battery discharges a little faster... when I'm at work (which is) a colder environment by about 20-30 degrees my battery is excellent. My battery temp at home sits around 80-90... at work... in the low 70's.

Some food for thought.

This thought first came to light when I saw Evil's screen shot with those cold temps in the weather slot.
    Last edited by dustanh; 12-05-11 at 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling
    12-05-11 10:59 AM
    Is it normal to have an avg of 11% discharge with moderately heavy use? I took it off the charger at 8am at 93%. Application management shows I have used the phone for 1.5 hours. At 12pm the battery is 50%. Should it be draining this fast?
    12-05-11 11:11 AM
    No auto updating apps.

No social feeds.

Backlight at 40

GPS on.

Bluetooth on and bridged to my playbook.

Wifi on.

OS .540

Calibrated battery.

Apps installed:

BeWeather

MemoryUp Personal.

Opera Mini.

Blackberry Bridge.

deProcMan.

Meter Berry.

FileScout.

Screen Shot.

Poynt.

Shazam.

Telenav GPS Navigator.

Wikitude.

Angry Farm.

Zombie Attack.

Aces 3D Pool.

Aces Traffic Pack.

Bejeweled.

I have a few friends with iPhone 4s. They all pale in comparison when it comes to battery life. They carry chargers, I don't.

Are you on 3G or 2G?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-05-11 11:17 AM
    Typical blind blackberry fanboy. simple math friend, 1.2ghz processor + smaller capacity battery = **** battery life. the advantage blackberry has over iphone is you can carry a spare. good luck mine comes in tmmrw
    Hmmm....

Lets see...

My bold 9900 has a 1.2ghz processor + touch screen + bluetooth + wifi + a so-called smaller battery and my battery life still goes into multiple days.
    Then that is very impressive, since you have bluetooth and wifi on.
    Best i can get is 1.8% idle with nothing on.

Your advice goes against physics and the advice of battery manufacturers. This will do your battery more harm than good.
    Nothing wrong with his advice, nor his math, nor his usage. I don't get as much mileage out of my battery as EM, but very close; and doing the same methods.

Below is mine at 90%; I've been off the charger for just shy of 7 hours, and it'll be about another 16 (or 4am) before I put it back on the charger with it around 30%-20%. WiFi on, BT on, GPS on and being used every hour by BerryWeather, Facebook and Social Feeds refresh every 2 hours, Twitter every 15 minutes, gtalk and Yahoo auto-start with the device. I do quite a bit of browsing reading stories from feeds/tweets and checking forum posts in addition to messages and texts.

12-05-11 12:00 PM
    Below is mine at 90%; I've been off the charger for just shy of 7 hours, and it'll be about another 16 (or 4am) before I put it back on the charger with it around 30%-20%. WiFi on, BT on, GPS on and being used every hour by BerryWeather, Facebook and Social Feeds refresh every 2 hours, Twitter every 15 minutes, gtalk and Yahoo auto-start with the device. I do quite a bit of browsing reading stories from feeds/tweets and checking forum posts in addition to messages and texts.
    So, as I write this, my 9900 has also been off the charger about 7 hours. According to MeterBerry, my battery is at 49%, with an average discharge rate of 7.2%/hour. GPS is off. BT is off. WiFi is off; network set to 2G. Social Feeds app is deleted. FaceBook and Twitter apps are set not to refresh except when opened. The same is true for Go Reader. BerryWeather updates once per hour. I use BeeJive instead of individual IM apps, but it hasn't been turned on yet today. I had one phone call so far that lasted 13 seconds. I checked Go Reader once this morning and read a dozen or so emails. Screen brightness at 10; timeout at 30 seconds. Network reception excellent, mostly 5 bars (not at office today). OS 7.1 today, but this is consistent with what I was getting with 7.0.0.540.

You've used your 9900 much more than I've used mine. My settings are more restrictive than yours. But your hourly battery consumption rate is under 2%; mine is over 7%. From the screencap you posted, I may actually have better reception than what you're getting today.

I'd like to make sense of this, but I'm not succeeding.
    12-05-11 12:17 PM
    Delete Wireless Sync. I did this after getting frustrated with hourglassing and battery life. Much improved. Battery lasts all day and no more random hourglass.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Good tip awalizad, if multiple accounts each email account must be individually configured, right?

FWIW my phone is in standby mode most of the day with wifi and carrier data on with moderate call usage and the battery has not been an issue so far.

I haven't seen the production series of the phones (or the batteries) being discussed as a possible cause. ie; certain runs more problematic that others. Could that be possible?
    Last edited by blackburberry; 12-05-11 at 12:44 PM.
    12-05-11 12:38 PM
    Currently at 2pm my phone is at 32% Was 93% at 8!
    Application Management says I used the phone for just over 2 hours.
    Does this make sense??
    12-05-11 12:58 PM
    Currently at 2pm my phone is at 32% Was 93% at 8!
    Application Management says I used the phone for just over 2 hours.
    Does this make sense??
    Where does Application Management tell you how long you've been using the phone?

Update: Just about 9 hours off the charger now. Still chugging along at 7.2%/hour. Battery temperature 84F.

Should be dead by 8:00 pm, unless I actually use it. In that case, sooner.
    12-05-11 01:55 PM
458 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD