There is definitely something going on with these batteries.

Ive had 3 generations of bolds in a row now and have never experienced such a poor battery as the one I have in my 9900.

after a full charge (normaiil overnight, but I do work shifts) I then use my phone sometimes without any calls and very little other activity and I would be lucky to get 10 hours from the charge.

however and for example, today I unplugged the 9900 from the charger at 9am, I sent a couple of e-mails and a few BBM`s (no more than 10 total).
    my wireless and GPS location was turned of and at 19.00pm my phone died completely from no power remaining.

a few days after the same as above had occurred I placed the phone on charge overnight but found in the morning the phone had failed to accept the charge, whenever I pressed the power button the red light came on for a few seconds then went out and the phone failed to power up, I thought for a few moments that the phone had "bricked" as you put it.
    after a battery pull the phone went into its start sequence and I quickly plugged the charger in and the phone started to charge, prior to the battery pull the phone would not charge or power on if the charger was plugged in.

This leads me to believe that you could get stuck in a cycle were you have no power left to start the phone and as a result you cannot charge it either.

from reading the Playbook posts it appears that a few of those have done the same thing which could indicate that it may be something to do with the new opp system.
    12-03-11 06:24 PM
    Delete Wireless Sync. I did this after getting frustrated with hourglassing and battery life. Much improved. Battery lasts all day and no more random hourglass.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-03-11 06:48 PM
    Heard that OS .530 help a lot with battery life, that said, I've upgraded to.540 and the battery life is bad as the stock OS, Ill give.530 a try tommorrow and see how it goes!
    12-03-11 06:59 PM
    Install .540. And your battery will last for days.
    12-03-11 07:03 PM
    Ive never had the hour glass but the battery sucks.

Ive never attempted a manual F/ware upgrade but will look into it, Im guessing I will find destructions on here somewhere.
    12-03-11 07:41 PM
    Heard that OS .530 help a lot with battery life, that said, I've upgraded to.540 and the battery life is bad as the stock OS, Ill give.530 a try tommorrow and see how it goes!
    i get 14hours ov battery life .. i use .540 OS ..
    load .540
    12-03-11 08:03 PM
    It isn't the OS. Something is up with your hardware, settings, or apps.
    12-03-11 08:06 PM
    Sounds like your battery or hardware problem.. I always recommend buying with authorized seller/carrier because of unforeseen and unusual case like this.
    12-03-11 08:15 PM
    well Ive managed to get Vodafone to send me out a new battery so this will rule that possibility out.

as for apps ect- I only have apps installed from the app world, and the battery problem has always been there from new a few months ago.

im not the only one, 1 of my friends only gets 4 hours from there 9900. another is almost the same as mine.

and to think I used to get nearly 2 days out of my 9700.
    12-04-11 05:21 PM
    Having apps loaded from appworld, especially auto updating apps and social feed apps will drain the battery quickly. Exactly the same way that having apps of these types loaded on an iPhone or an Android device will.

If your friend is only getting 4 hours, then he probably should look at what apps he is using. More than likely user error.

A properly tuned 9900 has about twice the battery life of an iphone and 4 times the battery life of an android touch device.
    12-04-11 05:26 PM
    If your friend is only getting 4 hours, then he probably should look at what apps he is using. More than likely user error.

A properly tuned 9900 has about twice the battery life of an iphone and 4 times the battery life of an android touch device.
    Typical blind blackberry fanboy. simple math friend, 1.2ghz processor + smaller capacity battery = **** battery life. the advantage blackberry has over iphone is you can carry a spare. good luck mine comes in tmmrw
    monsky1956 likes this.
    12-04-11 10:26 PM
    Hmmm....

Lets see...

My bold 9900 has a 1.2ghz processor + touch screen + bluetooth + wifi + a so-called smaller battery and my battery life still goes into multiple days.

I think your math is a little screwy. You may want to recalculate. Oh yeah, and I don't carry spares. Spares are for android users.

Average battery life on an android device = 4-8 hours.
    Average life on an iphone device = 8-12 hours.
    Average life on a blackberry device = 15-20 hours.

Those are the facts.

P.s: I can see just fine.
    Last edited by EvilmasterMMA; 12-04-11 at 11:30 PM.
    melb_me, tomgnc and KB1964 like this.
    12-04-11 11:27 PM
    Here is a meterberry screen shot for you taken 1 minute ago, just to prove my point.

Notice it says 90 hours of battery remaining with 91% left and a 1% per hour discharge rate...That is a "properly tuned" blackberry bold 9900 working as it should.
    melb_me likes this.
    12-04-11 11:36 PM
    Here is a meterberry screen shot for you taken 1 minute ago, just to prove my point.

Click to view quoted image

Notice it says 90 hours of battery remaining with 91% left and a 1% per hour discharge rate...That is a "properly tuned" blackberry bold 9900 working as it should.
    Please explain what you mean by "tuned" aside from the standard backlight to 10% and locations services off. Also what os version are you running?

Thanks
    12-05-11 12:18 AM
    compare a gsm iphone 4 to the bold 9900 and youll be eating your words buddy hah
    Last edited by MadMax8778; 12-05-11 at 01:12 AM.
    12-05-11 01:00 AM

Click to view quoted image

Evil,
    If you tuned you 9900 properly, why don't you share the info with us?
    Thank you.
    12-05-11 01:19 AM
    Please explain what you mean by "tuned" aside from the standard backlight to 10% and locations services off. Also what os version are you running?
    Thanks
    No auto updating apps.
    No social feeds.
    Backlight at 40
    GPS on.
    Bluetooth on and bridged to my playbook.
    Wifi on.
    OS .540
    Calibrated battery.

Apps installed:
    BeWeather
    MemoryUp Personal.
    Opera Mini.
    Blackberry Bridge.
    deProcMan.
    Meter Berry.
    FileScout.
    Screen Shot.
    Poynt.
    Shazam.
    Telenav GPS Navigator.
    Wikitude.
    Angry Farm.
    Zombie Attack.
    Aces 3D Pool.
    Aces Traffic Pack.
    Bejeweled.

compare a gsm iphone 4 to the bold 9900 and youll be eating your words buddy hah
    I have a few friends with iPhone 4s. They all pale in comparison when it comes to battery life. They carry chargers, I don't.
    Last edited by EvilmasterMMA; 12-05-11 at 01:32 AM.
    12-05-11 01:22 AM
    With GPS ON and bridged BB its impossible to get 1% discharged rate.
    I am not questioning you but its really difficult to believe.

Would u pls update us if this rate continues.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    12-05-11 01:41 AM
    It is not impossible, I've seen the discharge rate as low as 0.6% with GPS/WIFI and bridged bluetooth. My discharge rate always hovers between 0.6% and 1.5%. Has since .503.

I just don't use any of those silly social apps that update every 5 minutes. And I don't use apps that load into memory on boot. I also watch apps closely, if I install something and see a hit in my discharge rate, it's gone. All the apps I listed above are battery friendly.

When in low signal areas, I do notice my discharge rate dropping to around 2 to 2.5%.

I work 12 hour shifts. At the end of a shift I am usually sitting around 60% battery life. I've done two shifts in a row and got home with 15%.

iPhones and Androids can't keep up in this environment without charging during the shift. And they can not last two shifts.
    Last edited by EvilmasterMMA; 12-05-11 at 01:57 AM.
    12-05-11 01:53 AM
    Just to add my two-penneth, I concur with Evil on this. Ever since I upgraded to .540 I've seen a huge improvement in battery life.

Personally I don't have wifi, Bluetooth or GPS on unless I need them and I too don't have social apps or their like updating periodically. For example I have the Social Feeds app only update my RSS feeds when I open it.

As of now I'm sitting on a discharge rate of 1.8%/hr.

The only worry I have is that all of the major carriers appear to have pulled this OS (by far the best) from general circulation with little or no explanation. I'm kind of caught in a bit of a bind. I don't want to downgrade because of the stability and great battery life (its almost as good as my 9700); but I also don't want to upgrade to 7.1 because (as I understand it) as a first release its a bit unstable and buggy.

Thoughts?

Hope this helps.

Kindest regards

Mav.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mavrique; 12-05-11 at 02:41 AM.
    12-05-11 02:26 AM
    i think the one main thing which we might be missing is if we're talking 2G or 3G here.
    I would assume that 1% idle discharge rate with all those things active would most likely be on 2G?
    Last edited by will1881; 12-05-11 at 03:41 AM.
    12-05-11 03:29 AM
    Nope, it's not 2G it is H+.
    12-05-11 03:51 AM
    Then that is very impressive, since you have bluetooth and wifi on.
    Best i can get is 1.8% idle with nothing on.
    12-05-11 03:55 AM
    That's impressive, since you have bluetooth and wifi on.
    Best i can get is 1.8% idle with nothing on, i'm on .503 best so far for me.
    12-05-11 03:56 AM

I took it off the charger 8 hours ago. When I took it off the charger, it was at 98%. Since then I have a little over 50 minutes of total talk time combined from a dozen incoming and outgoing calls. I have 23 bbm incoming messages with 13 outgoing. 9 emails in 4 emails out. 6 standard txt messages in. And about 45 minutes of combined web browsing time. I am now sitting at 84% battery remaining.

The only reason it shows 1.3% discharge rate is because I just got off the phone before I took the screen shot.

This is not something out of the ordinary. Anybody with a bold 9900 can do this. Just get .540 installed, calibrate your battery and be selective with what apps you use. It's not rocket science.

btw...I find I actually get better battery life when it is bridged with my playbook via bluetooth. I think it is because I read emails and bbm messages on the tablet instead of activating the backlight on my phones screen to do it.
    Last edited by EvilmasterMMA; 12-05-11 at 04:27 AM.
    12-05-11 04:18 AM
458 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD