1. kirisutegomen's Avatar
    I'm hearing quite a bit about if the phone's battery gets too low it could damage the phone. Is this true? I've never experienced this with a BlackBerry, nor any other phone i have owned. This could be a make or break for this phone to me. I hope not.
    01-30-12 08:40 AM
  2. elvin1983's Avatar
    I've never heard of this myself. I always tell folks that they shouldn't let their battery go all the way dead, but having it get low isn't going to damage the phone. Even if it dies, the phone shouldn't be damaged.

    If this were true, there would be a ton of damaged Android phones out there... A TON!

    I wouldn't worry about it, you should be just fine. Probably a rumor that started and gained traction...
    01-30-12 08:46 AM
  3. ibcop's Avatar
    I've never heard this nor have I read about a documented case where a low battery damaged a phone. Now battery life could be improved () in the 99xx series and there are many ways to help do that.
    01-30-12 08:48 AM
  4. fourboysplus's Avatar
    With the current battery technology I think this is 100% incorrect. I have had my 9900 since release and have had it run down very low. Even had it turn off due to low battery. No issues with it what so ever.
    Get the 9900 enjoy it and dont worry lol.
    01-30-12 09:54 AM
  5. Ossprey's Avatar
    I'm a electruical engineer, this is 99% false. The other 1% is for the batterys that don't have a calibrated chip in them that tells the phone what's happening. It's a good reason for staying with OEM batterys, I run both my batterys flat. Each day and don't have any problems even leaving them charge overnight.
    01-30-12 03:16 PM
  6. kirisutegomen's Avatar
    Good to know. I'm just trying to research this amazing phone before i get it. My Verizon rep still tells me Android or, if i really want a BlackBerry, to get the 9650. I had the 9650 for 2 years with Sprint and it was amazing but i want the newest and best. I think the Bold Touch is the right step. Definitely not the Torch. Thank you for your help guys.
    02-01-12 12:18 PM
  7. greggebhardt's Avatar
    If a phone is damaged due to having a low or exhausted battery, the phone is flawed.
    02-01-12 12:30 PM
  8. robsteve's Avatar
    If a phone is damaged due to having a low or exhausted battery, the phone is flawed.
    Since you are getting it from your carrier, any flaws will be covered under warranty.
    02-01-12 12:50 PM
  9. Innerchild's Avatar
    My 9850 experience was that the OS could not recover and restart after my battery drained down to 10% and placed on the charger overnight. It was dead in the morning and nothing I tried revived it. Took it to the VZW store and they couldn't figure it out either and ordered a replacement.

    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9850-a-657899/

    The battery was fine because I popped it into the replacement phone and it came right up. Several others have had this happen as well. In the meantime, I activated my Storm 1 that had been in a drawer for a couple of months and it came right up.
    02-01-12 01:31 PM
  10. Tomo1971's Avatar
    My bold went to 1% the other day, it automattically turned off the radios and was blinked red or orange I think.

    Popped it onto the desktop charger overnight….woke up to…..a working phone.

    Wow, its a miracle!

    02-01-12 01:46 PM
  11. ChilledBB's Avatar
    I believe OP is referring to the bricking issue, which was believed to manifest itself from a low battery condition. Please correct me if I am wrong.

    I had a handful of 9930's in my company have this issue, out of 20 or so that were deployed for testing. The phones were replaced by Verizon, but not the batteries. I believe it's been 6 - 8 weeks since the issue last presented itself. Many people have said that 7.1 resolved this problem, but most of our staff are still on 7.0 and have not experienced this issue again.

    Personally I think there was a batch of phones that were susceptible to this, as several users on 7.1 have stated their phones have bricked as well, though the number of people experiencing bricked phones, at least on this forum, has dropped off significantly. I think it's safe to assume that the problem was either addressed via a software update or via the bad phones being exchanged out at this point.
    02-01-12 01:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD