Just wanted to say.. Im loving my Bold all over again.. Battery life is incredible after the switch.. Still not seeing any slow downs.
    11-07-11 03:55 PM
    Still not seeing any slow downs.
    You wouldn't anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-11 04:06 PM
    and not seeing any major differences between 'Automatic'/'Home', and 'Global' / '1xev'.

Am using a 9930, on Verizon, signal strength about -80 dBm

So, if setting it to 'Home' and '1xev', i'm guessing you would be saving some battery charge here and there.
    11-08-11 01:30 PM
    im actually starting to wonder if the group of forum members with their infinite, never dying battery life are on 1xev or global ???

someone should start a poll regarding this issue? i would start one but im typing on a playbook. touchscreen typing sucks...lol

I am one of the "infinite" battery members.

*I have 1XEV,
    *Backlight = 10,
    *turn off bluetooth/wifi when not connected,
    have Facebook/Twitter/any-app-that-checks-for-new-things-on-some-type-of-interval set to as least often as i can,
    *Location data: off (not not same as location aiding)
    *Exit apps so they're not running in the background (unless theyre like BBM, smrtguard, etc..)
    *and (in my opinion the KEY) use a case/holster/sleeve that has BlackBerry Sleep Mode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ^^that has helped me as long as i've had a BB^^

I get about 15-18 hours of moderately heavy usage

My grandpa does the same and with medium usage goes two days and still doesn't hit the orange battery bar
    11-08-11 01:40 PM
    Ok check this. I have a 9900, and I read an article about the battery life on the iPhone 4S. There was a fix for it and decided to try it out and it worked drastically improve battery life. First reduce social app to refresh upon opening. The big one go into Date and Time setting and set it to Manual instead of auto. apparently in auto it's constantly checking and draining the battery it may be a bug in the OS. Im running v7.0.0.250
    11-08-11 02:15 PM
    Ok check this. I have a 9900, and I read an article about the battery life on the iPhone 4S. There was a fix for it and decided to try it out and it worked drastically improve battery life. First reduce social app to refresh upon opening. The big one go into Date and Time setting and set it to Manual instead of auto. apparently in auto it's constantly checking and draining the battery it may be a bug in the OS. Im running v7.0.0.250
    Can you give us an order of magnitude? Battery life before changing the date/time setting and after?
    11-08-11 02:24 PM
    Bold 9900 isn't the worst on Battery Life see this iPhone 4S post 258 pages of ppl complaining

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

15%-20% /hour thats really bad!!
    11-08-11 02:52 PM
    Bold 9900 isn't the worst on Battery Life see this iPhone 4S post 258 pages of ppl complaining

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

15%-20% /hour thats really bad!!
    What is the point of your post. This is a BB forum an I could give a rats *** about the 4S. Did you post that to make yourself feel better about not buying one?
    11-08-11 05:29 PM
    What is the point of your post. This is a BB forum an I could give a rats *** about the 4S. Did you post that to make yourself feel better about not buying one?
    To make people see that bold it's better than iphone
    11-08-11 05:33 PM
    I am one of the "infinite" battery members.

*I have 1XEV,
    *Backlight = 10,
    *turn off bluetooth/wifi when not connected,
    have Facebook/Twitter/any-app-that-checks-for-new-things-on-some-type-of-interval set to as least often as i can,
    *Location data: off (not not same as location aiding)
    *Exit apps so they're not running in the background (unless theyre like BBM, smrtguard, etc..)
    *and (in my opinion the KEY) use a case/holster/sleeve that has BlackBerry Sleep Mode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ^^that has helped me as long as i've had a BB^^

I get about 15-18 hours of moderately heavy usage

My grandpa does the same and with medium usage goes two days and still doesn't hit the orange battery bar
    Quick query about sleep mode. Does hitting the lock button every time I'm about to put the BB back in my pocket have the same effect as sleep mode with a pouch/holster with magnet? Or is there some extra battery saving with the magnet activated sleep mode? Thanks
    11-08-11 07:14 PM
    and not seeing any major differences between 'Automatic'/'Home', and 'Global' / '1xev'.

Am using a 9930, on Verizon, signal strength about -80 dBm

So, if setting it to 'Home' and '1xev', i'm guessing you would be saving some battery charge here and there.
    You missed the point of several posts above that explain this change has NOTHING to do with device speeds. This only changes which networks your phone may be looking for. If you are on the Verizon network with a 9930, you will be 1XEV whether you choose Global or 1XEV. Choosing Global only allows your phone to locate a GSM network for emergency calls only and some are saying turning this to just 1XEV will save a little juice by not searching for a GSM network at all.
    11-08-11 07:39 PM
    Quick query about sleep mode. Does hitting the lock button every time I'm about to put the BB back in my pocket have the same effect as sleep mode with a pouch/holster with magnet? Or is there some extra battery saving with the magnet activated sleep mode? Thanks
    Technically yes. The BB holsters/pouches with the magnets activate a standby mode where none of the keys/buttons can do anything and the screen turns off (it even puts your sound profiles in a different setting if you choose)

Locking only makes keys not do anything and screen go off, but all keys/buttons can still make the phone light up or the lock key can still be pushed accidentally and unlock the phone. So essentially it can save battery if you put your BB in a bag with just a skin vs a pouch w/ the magnet. Skin would allow all keys to be pressed making the screen turn on and off again anytime keys are pressed, while the pouch protects it and makes it so keys don't affect the phone.

I find that it makes the standby time on my phone alot longer (based off my storm 1 and 2s as my Bold has battery life that puts those 2 to shame)

Right now i'm at 40% since 8am (13.5 hours)
    Last edited by dsquared2; 11-08-11 at 08:35 PM.
    jnatny likes this.
    11-08-11 08:32 PM
    I am the OP, and i just want confirm that this 1XEV vs GLOBAL setting has in fact been the culprit of my weak battery life. I tried switching back to GLOBAL yesterday and i was only getting 12-15hrs with moderate/heavy usage.

With the 1XEV / Home Only Setting, i can now go 2 FULL days with moderate/heavy usage before im in the red.

Meterberry use to have anywhere from 3.5 to 5.5 idle discharge. Now it says anywhere from 1.2 -1.5 discharge rate at idle. Meterberry is set to refresh every 30 mins. Its unreal what this setting has done for me.

Just want to clarify again that i DO NOT have any apps installed that needs any updating/refreshing i.e weather apps, or any social apps. Perhaps that is the reason why i have such outstanding idle discharge rates.
    Last edited by paperplanes7; 11-09-11 at 11:14 PM.
    11-09-11 11:12 PM
    Well after reading this thread, I went into my settings on my 9930 and changed them and I am going to see how they work tomorrow after a full charge in my BB cradle.

All of us giving their things they have done helps others as we work thru some of the quirks the phone has and I am sure the I Phone S has the same crap or worse.

Be BOLD, Phone BOLD.
    01-09-12 09:52 PM
    Thanks to the OP ... I've read many threads about "dumbing down" the device in order to salvage battery life.

I guess my only real problem is that we shouldn't have to dumb down our devices in order to gain extra battery life. There is simply no excuse on RIM's part for making suck a sleek device, their flagship unit if you will, with such poor battery life.

Maybe I'm just cranky because I about to go over to my third device now because the microphone on my second one has just been deemed defective.

This is not dumbing down a 9930. 9930 is a CDMA device and changing to 1XEV only turns on the CDMA radio and not the GSM radio too, so this does not reduce speed or performance.

BlackBerry Bold® 9930 using Tapatalk of course.
    01-09-12 10:43 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD