First off, this may apply just to me, and some of you may deem this is an unworthy, useless thread since its something so obvious that one would be just plain dumb to not have realized this to begin with.

Ever since i bought my Bold 9930 (verizon), the Network Technology setting has been set to Global - by default! And i always thought that if its a default setting then it would be the "ideal" setting predetermined by RIM for users who didn't know any better.

So i decided to change it 1XEV and BOOM ! my battery life is now DOUBLED.. literally! Its been 24 hrs exactly since i unplugged my phone. Ive had a total of 30 mins of talk time, with 75+ texts, 30 emails, and 10 mins of browsing. And its sitting at 70% and this is 24hrs unplugged!! Everything still works and everything is just as fast. Text are instant, emails are pushed instant, browser and calls works just fine. If my usage dont change, does it mean i will be able to go 3 days ????!!

I dont know what the settings are for the bold 9900 but im assuming you'll be able to figure it out.. maybe someone else can chime in.

Now granted i dont use any of that Twitter, Facebook, Wikitude, etc..but i now that if i were to use them i wouldn't have to worry about my battery draining uncontrollably.

For those who dont know how to get to that setting ---
    Under Options-Network and Connections-Mobile network-Network Technology - 1XEV.

It may or may not work for you, but it sure as **** worked for me.. I could really go two days with moderate/heavy usage if i needed to.
    Last edited by paperplanes7; 11-06-11 at 11:19 PM. Reason: forgot to add
    11-06-11 11:12 PM
    Phones come from RIM preset to access the high speed networks to make full use of the new hardware.
    1XEV is slower than 3G/H+. Most of the time you won't notice unless you are streaming video, etc.
    So if it is fast enough for your use, then keep it on 1XEV and enjoy the extended battery life.
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 11-06-11 at 11:33 PM.
    11-06-11 11:31 PM
    Is this the equivalent on the 9900 to going from 3G to 2G?
    11-06-11 11:41 PM
    Phones come from RIM preset to access the high speed networks to make full use of the new hardware.
    1XEV is slower than 3G/H+. Most of the time you won't notice unless you are streaming video, etc.
    So if it is fast enough for your use, then keep it on 1XEV and enjoy the extended battery life.
    The OP is talking about the 9930 which is the CDMA version of the 9930 and doesn't have the 2G/3G setting.

The setting he changed turns off the GSM radio on the device. The Blackberry actually asks you the first time you turn it on with a SIM (most come preinstalled with a SIM) if you want to enable "global" mode. If you answer yes to this question then the CDMA and GSM radios will be on at the same time looking for signal. Which could have some impact on battery life.

This was the first setting I changed when I turned on my 9930 and my 9630 before it
    11-07-11 12:16 AM
    we are talking about browser speed correct? and it will have no impact on how fast our emails get pushed right?
    11-07-11 12:47 AM
    we are talking about browser speed correct? and it will have no impact on how fast our emails get pushed right?
    That's correct. It doesn't matter what setting or network you are on, you won't notice any difference in time it takes to push email.
    11-07-11 01:03 AM
    im actually starting to wonder if the group of forum members with their infinite, never dying battery life are on 1xev or global ???

someone should start a poll regarding this issue? i would start one but im typing on a playbook. touchscreen typing sucks...lol
    11-07-11 01:11 AM
    im actually starting to wonder if the group of forum members with their infinite, never dying battery life are on 1xev or global ???

someone should start a poll regarding this issue? i would start one but im typing on a playbook. touchscreen typing sucks...lol
    This is actually an old issue that was rehashed a million times on the Tour
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-07-11 01:43 AM
    I thought 1xEV is 3G? EDGE is 2g?
    11-07-11 01:47 AM
    To clarify look at wikipedia for speed and generation diffrences List of device bit rates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    1xEV is means CDMA for voice + 1xEV for data
    2G means GSM + GPRS + EDGE
    I wonder if there is a setting for something like 1xEV+2G only for the GSM
    Too bad the ten trick to save battery don't include 1xEV in the settings Ten Tips and Tricks to Extend your BlackBerry Battery Life! | CrackBerry.com
    Last edited by lostOzone; 11-07-11 at 04:15 AM.
    11-07-11 04:12 AM
    Nah, this is old news that has been covered before. It does help battery life but it still sucks on the 9930.
    11-07-11 05:45 AM
    Exactly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-11 05:59 AM
    This is actually an old issue that was rehashed a million times on the Tour
    Great, for those who have been on the Tour Forum.... Of course, you may have noticed, that this ISN'T The Tour Forum so not everyone here has seen this "rehashed a million times"...
    11-07-11 08:07 AM
    Nah, this is old news that has been covered before. It does help battery life but it still sucks on the 9930.
    Talk about a useless post...
    11-07-11 08:08 AM
    Talk about a useless post...
    Useless in that once people do it they won't see any major differences in battery life?
    11-07-11 08:12 AM
    Thanks to the OP ... I've read many threads about "dumbing down" the device in order to salvage battery life.

I guess my only real problem is that we shouldn't have to dumb down our devices in order to gain extra battery life. There is simply no excuse on RIM's part for making suck a sleek device, their flagship unit if you will, with such poor battery life.

Maybe I'm just cranky because I about to go over to my third device now because the microphone on my second one has just been deemed defective.
    anon(153966) likes this.
    11-07-11 08:28 AM
    OF COURSE your gonna get better life with something lower then HSPA+ or equivalent....

that's just like sayin u wanna drive a a nice *** car, i.e. a buggati or a whatever it maybe and only drive it to 4th gear and driving underk 3K RPM....

YES I CAN SAVE GAS BY GOING SLOWER!!

More POWER more Juice required!!
    11-07-11 08:46 AM
    Everyone who has a 9900 in this thread:

THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS TURNING OFF 3G ON YOUR PHONE!!

THE 9930 IS A CDMA PHONE. 1XEV IS 1X (2G) and EV-DO (3G).

The 9930 has CDMA and GSM radios. This setting turns off the GSM radio. IT HAS NO EFFECT ON THE SPEED OF THE INTERNET ON THE DEVICE. It just means that if you happen to travel abroad and have an activated SIM in the device it will not automatically switch to the local GSM network.

This is why this is the default behavior of the phone when a SIM card is installed. RIM assumes that if you have a SIM in the device that you're going to want to use it when you get in range of a GSM tower. Unfortunately the device seems to ship with a SIM on the major networks which defeats RIMs assumption.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    11-07-11 09:41 AM

No, this is not correct. 1XEV is 3G. Selecting 1XEV in options only turns off the gsm radio and has zero effect on device speeds if you are using it on the vzw network.
    11-07-11 09:51 AM
    Thanks to the OP ... I've read many threads about "dumbing down" the device in order to salvage battery life.

I guess my only real problem is that we shouldn't have to dumb down our devices in order to gain extra battery life. There is simply no excuse on RIM's part for making suck a sleek device, their flagship unit if you will, with such poor battery life.

Maybe I'm just cranky because I about to go over to my third device now because the microphone on my second one has just been deemed defective.
    To be honest with you, i haven't seen any type of slow-downs at all. But then again, i dont do any intensive downloading - its mainly quick look ups on hourly weather, top news of the day or what have you..My browser speed has been the same as before, my texts and emails are instant.

Everyone who has a 9900 in this thread:

THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS TURNING OFF 3G ON YOUR PHONE!!

THE 9930 IS A CDMA PHONE. 1XEV IS 1X (2G) and EV-DO (3G).

The 9930 has CDMA and GSM radios. This setting turns off the GSM radio. IT HAS NO EFFECT ON THE SPEED OF THE INTERNET ON THE DEVICE. It just means that if you happen to travel abroad and have an activated SIM in the device it will not automatically switch to the local GSM network.

This is why this is the default behavior of the phone when a SIM card is installed. RIM assumes that if you have a SIM in the device that you're going to want to use it when you get in range of a GSM tower. Unfortunately the device seems to ship with a SIM on the major networks which defeats RIMs assumption.
    Thats kinda what i thought.. So if im not travelling abroad, why use the GLOBAL setting.

No, this is not correct. 1XEV is 3G. Selecting 1XEV in options only turns off the gsm radio and has zero effect on device speeds if you are using it on the vzw network.
    Precisely. -i hope youre right-
    11-07-11 10:45 AM
    I'm simply keeping a charger at home, one in the car, and one at work...

I'm Distinguished, and that's how I roll...

The End!
    11-07-11 11:53 AM
    Great, for those who have been on the Tour Forum.... Of course, you may have noticed, that this ISN'T The Tour Forum so not everyone here has seen this "rehashed a million times"...
    I didn't say everyone had saw it. If someone was so inclined they could search for it and instantly have a much larger conversation on the exact topic that already exists.

Android has similar mobile network settings that can massacre your battery life depending on what you pick and your coverage as well.

Same goes for the turning your sim card upside down trick... Also discussed in length for the Tour and 9650.
    11-07-11 12:54 PM
    Being on Verizon the first thing I do when I get a new BB is change it to 1XEV and Home only. 1XEV=3G on CDMA.
    11-07-11 12:59 PM
    Being on Verizon the first thing I do when I get a new BB is change it to 1XEV and Home only. 1XEV=3G on CDMA.
    I left mine on AUTOMATIC and 1XEV .. Should i change it to HOME?? Yea i think im gonna do that...
    11-07-11 01:03 PM
    I thought 1xEV is 3G? EDGE is 2g?
    1xEV is CDMA 3G, while EDGE is a GSM 2G (2 completely different cellular networks).

Verizon users might find this breakdown of CDMA generations (with theoretical download speeds) interesting: http://www.superbank.ru/images/EVDO%...0evolution.PNG
    11-07-11 01:27 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD