03-11-12 06:12 AM
39 12
tools
    Hey Chris,

Where did you find the standalone charger...not to hijack the thread or anything...

Right here from the shop crackberry store. Even comes with a spare battery and a splitter cable so you can charge both phone and charger at the same time.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-06-12 12:35 AM
    Hi there,

I am running 7.1.0.205 and I am very happy with the battery life on my 9900. I do miss the life of my previous 9780 and tried to modify a MS1 battery into the case. The MS1 battery is very close in size and dimensions to JM1, however I screwed up my DIY attempt and will try again this month.

I am confident that MS1 used with a shell cover would work well, has anybody else tried to adapt the MS1?

03-06-12 01:10 AM
    Hi there please can you tell me . ive ran my battery dry and wont turn on , charged it and the battery indicator comes up , with the lightning bolt in the middle. but wont turn on . and tested the batery with my digital volt meter one on the positive and one one the negative terminal of the black berry battery, i got 3 volts? isnt it suppose to be 3.7??
    03-06-12 02:40 AM
    Hi there,

I am running 7.1.0.205 and I am very happy with the battery life on my 9900. I do miss the life of my previous 9780 and tried to modify a MS1 battery into the case. The MS1 battery is very close in size and dimensions to JM1, however I screwed up my DIY attempt and will try again this month.

I am confident that MS1 used with a shell cover would work well, has anybody else tried to adapt the MS1?

It won't work even if you try and decode it.
    03-06-12 04:37 AM
    Hi there please can you tell me . ive ran my battery dry and wont turn on , charged it and the battery indicator comes up , with the lightning bolt in the middle. but wont turn on . and tested the batery with my digital volt meter one on the positive and one one the negative terminal of the black berry battery, i got 3 volts? isnt it suppose to be 3.7??
    Maybe it doesn't measure in decimos? You might need a new battery. Try with an external charger. Look on ebay for blackberry 9700 external charger, or blackberry 9000 external charger, it costs $3 and you only need to bend the pins 1mm to the left for it to make contact with the jm1 battery's.
    03-06-12 04:39 AM
    I have some experience with batteries. There seem to be two problems.

The ampere-hour rating of the Bold battery is right in line with any of the same size. The more space you have for reactive chemicals, the more energy you can store. There is a limit for this chemistry and geometry and we've hit it. So while you may be able to get a bit more energy storage in the same footprint by making more space for chemistry, you won't get much more. I'd say 10% max.

Second problem. As phones get smarter, their battery monitoring software gets more complex. There seems to be something the iPhone 4 and the 9900 have in common. I had an iPhone 4 with a Morphie battery pack case. It worked great for about 3 days - the iPhone ran for a couple days on it rather than barely a day on the built-in battery. But then the runtime gradually reduced until it was back to barely a day! I had to take the Morphie off, which reduced runtime to a matter of a couple of hours, and run the iPhone totally flat - until it died. Then the runtime returned to normal. I was able to use the Morphie as a charger, but not as a parallel battery, which is how Morphie said to run it.

I also bought one of the 3000mAhr batteries for the Bold - the double thickness ones with the deep back. Guess what? Same thing happened on the Bold.

However I had extended batteries on the 8330 and 9550, both of which worked like a champ. So I suspect the larger capacity confuses the new, smarter on-board battery monitoring. Which sort of negates the usefulness of large capacity batteries.

I think the best thing to do is simply carry a spare, normal capacity battery. The Bold boots so fast (compared to the 8330 or 9550 - nearly as fast as the iPhone) that downtime is minimal.
    03-06-12 07:33 AM
    I have some experience with batteries. There seem to be two problems.

The ampere-hour rating of the Bold battery is right in line with any of the same size. The more space you have for reactive chemicals, the more energy you can store. There is a limit for this chemistry and geometry and we've hit it. So while you may be able to get a bit more energy storage in the same footprint by making more space for chemistry, you won't get much more. I'd say 10% max.

Second problem. As phones get smarter, their battery monitoring software gets more complex. There seems to be something the iPhone 4 and the 9900 have in common. I had an iPhone 4 with a Morphie battery pack case. It worked great for about 3 days - the iPhone ran for a couple days on it rather than barely a day on the built-in battery. But then the runtime gradually reduced until it was back to barely a day! I had to take the Morphie off, which reduced runtime to a matter of a couple of hours, and run the iPhone totally flat - until it died. Then the runtime returned to normal. I was able to use the Morphie as a charger, but not as a parallel battery, which is how Morphie said to run it.

I also bought one of the 3000mAhr batteries for the Bold - the double thickness ones with the deep back. Guess what? Same thing happened on the Bold.

However I had extended batteries on the 8330 and 9550, both of which worked like a champ. So I suspect the larger capacity confuses the new, smarter on-board battery monitoring. Which sort of negates the usefulness of large capacity batteries.

I think the best thing to do is simply carry a spare, normal capacity battery. The Bold boots so fast (compared to the 8330 or 9550 - nearly as fast as the iPhone) that downtime is minimal.

In total agreement - 100%

However, its funny how some memory effects that's supposed to be history for Lithium polymer batteries do exist. In NiMH batteries, the memory effect was so strong that you had to null it out only by running your device to dead condition & then charge it back to full.

I am assuming we are required to do the same for the J-M1 batteries - once in a while just to make sure no memory effect sets in.

Or, is it the battery monitoring software inbuilt in the Bold that's playing-up routinely ? Whilst a "charge-to-ZERO-to-Fullcharge" resets it back correctly ?

Please feel free to correct me ...
    Last edited by audio_engr; 03-06-12 at 07:52 AM.
    03-06-12 07:47 AM
    In total agreement - 100%

However, its funny how some memory effects that's supposed to be history for Lithium polymer batteries do exist. In NiMH batteries, the memory effect was so strong that you had to null it out only by running your device to dead condition & then charge it back to full.

I am assuming we are required to do the same for the J-M1 batteries - once in a while just to make sure no memory effect sets in.

Please feel free to correct me ...
    Just correcting semantics. The memory effect you refer to was the supposed inability of a partially discharged then recharged battery to supply any more energy than it did before the partial recharge. In other words if you pulled 600mAhr off a battery rated for 1200, then recharged it, and did that repeatedly, before long the battery was supposed to only be able to provide 600mAhr even though it was still within it's theoretical "good" life.

I don't recall any controlled studies being made on this, but lets accept that it was a real phenomenon and not just older chemistries having shorter lifetimes, which I know *is* true. Old LiIons didn't last as long as newer ones do in the same applications and treated the same way for instance. Battery technology keeps moving forward.

Anyway, the changes I saw were almost certainly caused by the software, which is a different thing from damaged battery chemistry. I don't know what the charge remaining algorithms were looking for, but they were almost certainly confused by the different discharge curves of the larger batteries.
    Last edited by MikeLip; 03-06-12 at 09:51 AM. Reason: I misspelled "of". Nice job, genius :)
    03-06-12 08:02 AM
    awesome ! Thank u ... and that explains the fact that SW plays a major role in the smartphone of today.

Lets just hope RIM sw developers are able to fine-tune this part in the "coming versions of their OS releases".
    03-06-12 09:29 AM
    Actually I think it will be hard to fix it. The software is tuned for the system supplied. They really can't make a very smart system and have it work with every configuration of battery possible, and of course they have no way of knowing what a third party accessory battery will be like. They may simply have decided that the best way to serve their customers would be to make it work well with the supplied battery. The fact that it works poorly with an aftermarket battery is just a bonus. They may not have intentionally locked you into their battery, but that seems to be effectively what happened.

Interestingly, I had to couple the BB battery and the aftermarket battery together to transfer some kind of data. No idea what the batteries were talking to each other about.
    Last edited by MikeLip; 03-06-12 at 07:14 PM.
    03-06-12 09:39 AM
    I just drained my J-M1 to a point the 9900 totally shut down & wont even boot.

From that state, I plugged-in my charger and a few minutes later, a tiny battery charging indication on the centre of the screen appeared. After cpl more minutes, the 9900 booted and when it hit the home screen, I turned it off (all the while the charger is still plugged-in).

For the Green LED (indicating Full-charge) to appear, its taken 4 hrs 15 min. I'm surprised its taken this long to fully charge the stock battery of 1230 mAh.
    Last edited by audio_engr; 03-06-12 at 06:07 PM.
    03-06-12 06:05 PM
    Thanks everyone. But I think people will still continue buying those 2450mAh replacement batteries...

I hope with better knowledge and understanding, people will stop buying those falsely advertised products.

- Charles
    03-06-12 08:05 PM

I would rather buy 2-3 more Original OEM JM-1 to drive my BB rather than slip-in one of these after-market batteries, barring Seidio who knows what they're doing - though RIM won't endorse them for corporate reasons.
    RIM would rather you buy 2 or 3 spare batteries as well.....I have said many times that I believe that the small battery was a commercial decision. I don't see any engineer making a mistake of that kind and making a battery that is woefully inadequate. I see a decision to make a thin phone and battery to fit the footprint.

An engineer would make a battery the size of a house to cover all eventualities and then reduce the size based on the actual usage expectation.

Making the phone a couple of mill or 1/4 in thicker wouldn't have done any harm to what is essentially a really good piece of kit.

But making a phone with an under powered battery and happily selling you spares to cover the shortfall is in my opinion a clear commercial decision.
    03-11-12 05:15 AM
    But making a phone with an under powered battery and happily selling you spares to cover the shortfall is in my opinion a clear commercial decision.
    Don't forget everything was going hunky dory until RIM decided to pull-in the 1.2 gig processor in the last minute. As per earlier plans, the slim size & the small battery were going great.

The commercial aspect that you mention comes in here wherein when RIM pulled-in the Qual-com processor, they should have also seriously looked at their battery that they just ignored. Why ? Bcoz RIM must have already finalized & ordered tens-of-thousands of such batteries & now what do they do with it ? I'm sure a lil more beefed up battery could have been possible. But its too late.

So - the commercial part now kicks-in ...

whilst software engineering pacifies marketing dept "don't worry, jus' launch the product & we'll sort it out via software"
    Last edited by audio_engr; 03-11-12 at 06:16 AM.
    Captain Scarlet likes this.
    03-11-12 06:12 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD