Same difference surely?! Lol
    So now we have an adaptive OS? Where do you get this crap...do you make it up as you go along?
    Software isn't programmed to "settle in". It can have code added to improve the user experience if utilized properly.

Yes it is, you just don't know what you're talking about.
    "settle in" is still a big joke at the workplace in the IT dept.
    there were long arguments over this statement/belief
    realistically, an OS can't 'settle'
    :\
    Exactly.

Why does it seem that a battery pull or two helps after a fresh install? I'm not saying it does... but I have noticed that it more or less helps. Maybe it's all in my skull...
    Could be placebo effect, I'll admit I've done it and thought as much. And I've also skipped the battery pulls with no difference in performance. User preference pretty much, it's no harm (except for some people's fingernails) either way.
    02-22-12 12:53 PM
    It's like gas mileage on a new sports car. It's doesn't improve after a few days, the driver just stops lead footing it off every light. A phone with a new OS gets hammered the first bit as users add and delete apps, test new features, etc. When habits return to normal, the phone returns to normal.
    02-22-12 01:07 PM

Could be placebo effect, I'll admit I've done it and thought as much. And I've also skipped the battery pulls with no difference in performance. User preference pretty much, it's no harm (except for some people's fingernails) either way.
    I agree. I 've almost weened myself off of battery pulls completely. Hey, old habits die hard. I have been only rebooting when device states reboot after install or uninstalling something.

I know this is of topic... but... speaking off battery pulls. I have to pull out after I use my media. I use my music player often and I notice memory going down... way down, around 30MB. Is this in fact "going" somewhere or just showing me usage in numbers? A battery pull corrects this.
    02-22-12 01:12 PM
    Placebo effect, I've heard it all now lol.
    So when I first install, fully charge my 9900 overnight- unplug from charger and drive to work with my phone idle and by the time I get to work 10% of my battery is gone. The next day I do exactly the same and by the time I get into work it hasn't dropped more than 1%. But that's all placebo- ok then I'm convinced lmfao.
    Settle/adapt whatever you want to call it a fresh o/s takes some time before it operates as normal on a bb.
    02-22-12 01:28 PM
    As I understand it, "settling in" just means higher than normal battery consumption during the first few days after an OS install. That could be caused by (a) the OS and apps having to recreate new app data files; apps downloading components, as Poynt always does; (c) user activating and tweaking.

I also wonder if ad-supported apps download blocks of ads all at once, and refresh them from time to time, rather than streaming them. That could cause a hit on the battery too.

I just don't see how this "settling in" question can be answered a priori. When you install an OS, more than just the OS is affected. You have to know all that's going on.

Edit: For the record, my battery drains at about 2%/hour idling, up to 5%/hour in use.
    Last edited by ubizmo; 02-22-12 at 01:48 PM.
    02-22-12 01:43 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD