So... Ive had me bold 9930 since the first day it came out, did my swap and immediately was disappointed with the battery performance BUT... Yesterday when i went to the sprint store, the tech wiped the device and installed only my contacts and calendar (i added my bbm and email after... And also dowloaded apps to the device) and PROBLEM SOLVED the batt goed 2 days easy (before i couldnt even make it 8hrs) so i guess what im trying to say is, when u get ur new phone, ONLY BACKUP CONTACTS AND CALENDAR dont use the 5.0 or 6.0 apps or settings on the new device... It makes a huge difference. Good luck!
    09-03-11 12:31 AM
    Yes. From the get go people where warned on here not to try and migrate apps and settings due to problems. General good practice to not do that anyway on phones, PCs, etc.

Now.. once OS 7 devices have been out a while you can expect that RIM will find and fix some problems with say Desktop manager and OS 7 and this migration. Apps devs will fix things as well.

But if you simply avoid the practice then you save yourself some headaches anyway.
    09-03-11 12:36 AM
    So... Ive had me bold 9930 since the first day it came out, did my swap and immediately was disappointed with the battery performance BUT... Yesterday when i went to the sprint store, the tech wiped the device and installed only my contacts and calendar (i added my bbm and email after... And also dowloaded apps to the device) and PROBLEM SOLVED the batt goed 2 days easy (before i couldnt even make it 8hrs) so i guess what im trying to say is, when u get ur new phone, ONLY BACKUP CONTACTS AND CALENDAR dont use the 5.0 or 6.0 apps or settings on the new device... It makes a huge difference. Good luck!
    Or it was just a laggy OS version...just sayin.
    09-03-11 01:24 AM
    That's what I did but only because it is the wise thing to do when changing operating systems. Port over contacts only and re-install apps manually from device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    bquinney likes this.
    09-03-11 03:52 PM
    Port over contacts only and re-install apps manually from device.

What about SMS / MMS ? Should we transfer that over while installing the OS... or should we wait to move until after the OS has finish installing?
    09-10-11 10:59 AM
    I had bb protect backup all the important junk and restored it onto 9900. Then just installed apps. Haven't used DM at all yet and phones been great! No more bugs or battery drains like before. Note: if you get more than 8-12+% frain an hour you most likely have a defective battery. Exchange asap!

09-10-11 11:49 AM
    I had bb protect backup all the important junk and restored it onto 9900. Then just installed apps. Haven't used DM at all yet and phones been great! No more bugs or battery drains like before. Note: if you get more than 8-12+% frain an hour you most likely have a defective battery. Exchange asap!

How did you go about wiping the OS and reinstalling? Or did you not do that?? What exactly did you do?
    09-10-11 12:13 PM
    Good info. But, I NEVER use the 'switch device' option...
    09-10-11 12:19 PM
    What about SMS / MMS ? Should we transfer that over while installing the OS... or should we wait to move until after the OS has finish installing?
    To answer both your questions.... First of all while installing a new OS on your device you CANNOT do anything else until it has completed its install.

Second question is that if there is nothing wrong with your phone or some kind of minor glitch with it you should have no need to reinstall an OS other than a new official OS that the carrier puts out. Any minot inconvienence problem normally can be taken care of with a battery pull so in a rare instance where you really have a major issue then you would do a complete backup first through DM and then reinstall the OS after you have wiped your device... When in doubt take it to the carrier and let them decide what is wrong and what to do. Good luck.
    09-10-11 01:05 PM
    I also did a wipe yesterday .24 hrs later I still have 40% left but I did not reinstall all my apps . I only used twitter ,email,bbm and the browser for the most part . Two hrs ago I reinstalled Foursquare ,man this app is a battery killer. It went down like 10% an hour after I used it. I love the app but I don't know if its worth it.
    09-10-11 01:28 PM
    Or it was just a laggy OS version...just sayin.
    A laggy OS wouldn't do anything to kill the battery that way... just sayin
    09-10-11 09:44 PM
    Smh. I had the same thing done and I've had to charge my phone TWICE today..... With moderate use...

09-10-11 10:44 PM
    First i think, there's no way a wipe and installing just the core apps would improve the battery life.

But after i did, it DID improving a lot on battery life.

Now my 9930 no longer suffer from battery drain at night while in the off position.

And now i started to think, if we could figure something like this, why would blackberry put all those battery killer apps in the phone as a standard apps. Wouldnt they know that in just the standard os with all the apps, the phone is no longer productive after 7 hours off the charger (i plug off from 7am and the battery already low at 1 or 2pm). Who wants to charge your blackberry 2-3 times a day .. please raise your hand ..

Its silly, c'mon bb make a decent OS your phone is not cheap ...
    02-10-12 10:27 AM
    Lets try...
    02-10-12 02:36 PM
    It has to do with using the Device Switch. It has been known for sometime Not to do a device switch and instead transfer only data. This is what I did 6 months ago after reading everything I could about the 99xx before purchasing one. I get exceptional battery life and have ever since. I did have to drain it nearly dry to solve the "only charges to 95%" issue, but other than this the battery has been the best of any phone I have ever owned. Thought this fact was known by most everyone here. It definitely seems to have worked for me.
    02-10-12 11:23 PM
    How do you do the OS wipe?(When I have installed the latest leak it automatically saved all my settings.) And one more question, I have corporate account (BES) installed, will I need IT help or I can use the same activation code they gave me last time?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-11-12 04:29 AM
    How do you do the OS wipe?(When I have installed the latest leak it automatically saved all my settings.) And one more question, I have corporate account (BES) installed, will I need IT help or I can use the same activation code they gave me last time?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    search around the forums there are some articles that tell you how to wipe bes and then wipe phone i just dont have the links off hand. lol
    02-11-12 08:16 AM
    I can't believe it works!
    I've read this yesterday and I decided to give a try. So I backed up my contacts and calendar only and wiped my 9900(7.1.0.205) and then reinstalled this OS with core files only. After restored my contacts and installed some apps including kik, FML, wunderlist, tunein etc, I can see obvious improvement of the battery use indeed!
    So if you're experencing the battery drain issue try the method OP provided.

PS Now I've got a 4%/hr draining rate which is NORMAL according to the Blackberry Device Analyser - I've never seen this before(always HIGH)!!

PPS Another thing is that I switch from BeWeather to Weather Plus 3.1.4. Don't know if this is related to the improvement.

Cheers OP!!!!
    02-11-12 10:39 PM
    My experience is that OS7 is core to the battery drain issue.

1. GPS drains the battery (not like the 9650, 9700, 9780 units running OS 5 & OS 6)
    To conserve battery, turn off GPS when not connected to a charger and using the GPS

2. As reported by others, 4G is a huge battery drain. This is a problem with all smartphones using 4G and is well known with androids. However the 9900 OS only offers a 2G (EDGE) option when downgrading data connectivity from 4G. There is no 2G/3G option!

This is a serious issue, as while keeping the 9900 on 2G (EDGE), the 9900 loses the ability to use data while taking on the phone (Maps, Navigation, Email...) That's serious loss of functionality for what is supposed to be a cutting edge device...

3. I've taken to carrying multiple batteries with me. I have a 3,500 mA battery. I carry a charger everywhere I go. Even my iPhone friends don't have such a hard time...

02-12-12 11:39 AM
    I was getting almost 30 hrs of battery life on my new 9930....Then I installed Google Maps. Saw my battery die within 5 hours. I uninstalled it, now my battery is back to 24hrs+....
    02-12-12 11:49 AM
    I went back to 7.0.0.362 on my 9930. I no longer have the 100-92% drop and only lost 6% at idle in 8.5 hours (between 2am-1030am). I'll wait for the next 7.1 release and see hoe that one goes.

posted using Tapatalk
    02-12-12 12:43 PM
    After reading the post i wiped my 9930 and installed a new copy of os, this after i saved to the desktp mgr. Installed new copy of OS then re installed my apps. My battery life is "GREAT". I can't beleive it. Prior to this i was re charging my 9930 after about four hrs everyday. Thanks for the help.
    02-12-12 06:49 PM
    I checked mine today on 7.0. Took it off the charger at 6:30am at 3:00pm it was at 1% , which is 8.9% per hour. I did some emails , surfed for about 30 mins and made one 15 min call. Erased google maps tonight. Will see if it makes a differance tommorow.
    02-12-12 07:59 PM
    My experience is that OS7 is core to the battery drain issue.

1. GPS drains the battery (not like the 9650, 9700, 9780 units running OS 5 & OS 6)
    To conserve battery, turn off GPS when not connected to a charger and using the GPS

2. As reported by others, 4G is a huge battery drain. This is a problem with all smartphones using 4G and is well known with androids. However the 9900 OS only offers a 2G (EDGE) option when downgrading data connectivity from 4G. There is no 2G/3G option!

This is a serious issue, as while keeping the 9900 on 2G (EDGE), the 9900 loses the ability to use data while taking on the phone (Maps, Navigation, Email...) That's serious loss of functionality for what is supposed to be a cutting edge device...

3. I've taken to carrying multiple batteries with me. I have a 3,500 mA battery. I carry a charger everywhere I go. Even my iPhone friends don't have such a hard time...

I doubt it. I run 4G all the time, even in bad signal areas, never turn GPS off, and still have great battery life. Bad battery life is not a given with OS7. You have a problem with your phone.
    02-12-12 08:39 PM
    I doubt it, I don't think the phone will have issues (might be wrong) the culprit may be some apps.
    02-12-12 08:49 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD