To make a few things clear, I love my bold. I also realize that there are TONS of threads on battery drain, but when I searched, I couldn't find anything relevant to me. And finally, this is not a complaint, but just an observation.

I bought my bold in Canada in August, right before I left for England to study. The battery life was ok, and I figured that it was because of the software. After a few updates, it improved slightly. I then came home this december and using my bold, the battery life was phenomenal! It lasted a few more hours/ charge. I'm back in England now, and my battery life has dropped

I have full BIS in both England and Canada, and get H+ reception everywhere. Usage was also similar (probably more BBM in Canada), and I always have wifi on. I installed no new apps/updated software.

Has anyone else noticed this?
    01-12-12 12:29 PM
    probably due to signal strength...
    rafman1992 likes this.
    01-12-12 12:31 PM
    ^ +1

Signal strength probably effects battery life more than anything else (besides heavy usage).
    Keep in mind that even if you phone was showing full bars in both places, it doesn't mean the signal is a the same strength.
    rafman1992 likes this.
    01-12-12 04:15 PM
    Thanks,

I've set up a log for signal strength on meterberry and will compare it next time i'm back in Canada.
    01-12-12 05:14 PM
    I go to Europe or Asia every month. I find the battery drain in those places are far less than my battery drain, in particular, in Los Angeles. As well, the issue of coverage plays a part - I believe, since many of the carriers in Europe (and maybe Canada as well?), their Government has a stake, they tend to be less stingy with coverage, as the goal is to supply the population with good coverage. I know T-Mobile, and AT&T do not offer good coverage, say, on Sunset Blvd in LA, because the windy road would require significantly more cell towers in many dead "pockets", and they figure "f**k the customers - better they complain about a 1000 foot stretch of no coverage on Sunset, than to have to install 10 more towers. Of course, lack of coverage, and poor coverage (from cell towers being more distant) = more polling on your phone = higher battery drain. In the US, the carriers are pure economics.

I think also it's a function of the combination of both signal strength and frequency of the different carries outside the US.

Your observation has validity
    Last edited by jeffharris; 01-12-12 at 05:52 PM.
    01-12-12 05:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD