I've been using bb9900 without BIS. 7.1.0.714.
    The problem that I'm facing is that I keep getting battery drained since the device constantly tries to make a data connection (GSM goes in capital letters). Upon manually connecting and disconcerting to a wifi network, the connection goes away (GSM moves back to edge), but the problem reoccurs 4-6 hours later.

Is there anything I can do to stop this battery drainage?
    09-17-17 02:26 PM
    See if setting network to 2G only would help.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-17 09:29 PM
    See if setting network to 2G only would help.

Posted via CB10
    It is already in 2g mode only. It's like it turns on the data channel, trying to pull some data, but since there is no data connection it keeps that channel open and drains the battery.
    09-18-17 12:55 AM
    It is already in 2g mode only. It's like it turns on the data channel, trying to pull some data, but since there is no data connection it keeps that channel open and drains the battery.
    Turn off data services?
    That ways it won't be searching for data at all?

Posted via CB10
    09-18-17 01:16 AM
    Turn off data services?
    That ways it won't be searching for data at all?

Posted via CB10
    sorry it sems that I wasn't precise in the first post. the Data services are off.
    09-18-17 01:54 AM
    What if you backup then load a new rom
    09-18-17 07:11 AM
    As far as I understood on this forum, I can't go back to ver 6... I did a clean install of this 7.1 verson as well as three prior revisions, with no sucess.
    09-18-17 07:14 AM
    sorry it sems that I wasn't precise in the first post. the Data services are off.
    I took that as the data services is off from your carrier side. Is it also turned off under your phone settings?

Posted via CB10
    09-18-17 09:01 AM
    As far as I understood on this forum, I can't go back to ver 6... I did a clean install of this 7.1 verson as well as three prior revisions, with no sucess.
    The Bold 9900 never had OS6. However, there are better versions of OS7. Most of the people I have talked to here swear by OS 7.1.0.1098. There is a version for 02 UK ( https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...-o2-uk-865486/) and one for Claro Argentina ( https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ntina-1000898/).

Both are multi-language and both work with any carrier.

There's a copy of Elite1's setup guide in both threads, but it's fairly far into the 02 UK thread.

Sent from my Passport using Forum Fiend OSP
    09-18-17 09:11 AM
    thanks, didn't know that. I will try with this version and will report back the results.
    @AmdritD yes, data connection is turned off from both sides. That is why this is so confusing.
    09-18-17 11:00 AM
    thanks, didn't know that. I will try with this version and will report back the results.
    @AmdritD yes, data connection is turned off from both sides. That is why this is so confusing.
    In that case don't know is your phone trying to connect to the Internet.
    Search for TCP/IP under options.
    Go to APN settings make sure it's not enabled and see if that helps.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-17 11:18 AM
    That sounds scary, as if the phone is possessed and has a mind of its own.
    It seems that an app or some setting needs a sort of communication with a server in order to finalize its set up. BBM for example, or BlackBerry ID.
    But this is still pretty weird. Normally if the phone does not have data connection, it would give a message about it.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-17 11:26 AM
    That sounds scary, as if the phone is possessed and has a mind of its own.
    It seems that an app or some setting needs a sort of communication with a server in order to finalize its set up. BBM for example, or BlackBerry ID.
    But this is still pretty weird. Normally if the phone does not have data connection, it would give a message about it.

Posted via CB10
    no joy with the new OS. Still opens data connection and drains the battery. TCPIP host table is deleted, apn settings as well, disabled data services within the settings as well as for roaming data... I can't see what else is left to try?
    I even tried before to buy BIB services for a month to see if that would resolve the problem, but nothing changed afterwards.
    09-19-17 05:01 AM