I'll tell you, if someone came perusing the Crackberry forums for this Bold, they would be turned off immediately by the 25 or so threads about poor battery life. And that is a shame.

For those of you that have been around these forums for some time, you all knew that battery life on the 9900/9930 would be the #1 sticking point of this device. And don't give me the "so-and-so said it was comparable to BB 97xx..,". If you believed that, you are just silly. There is no way a 1230mah battery is enough for a heavy user, on any device for that matter.

We knew the size of the battery for a long time before the release. Yet we all still bought it (myself included). I always had extended batteries in all my prior BB's (8330, Storm2, 9650), but this 9930 that I have is by far the fastest, sexiest device to ever come out of Waterloo - I would never put an extended battery in this. They didn't go for battery life on this device - they went with fast, thin, and sexy.

Without question, this is the best Blackberry ever. And if you are reading this post as an outsider, and you are considering getting the 9930, I would highly recommended it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    snickdog, Jake2826 and robtanz like this.
    09-30-11 11:02 AM
    I'll tell you, if someone came perusing the Crackberry forums for this Bold, they would be turned off immediately by the 25 or so threads about poor battery life. And that is a shame.

For those of you that have been around these forums for some time, you all knew that battery life on the 9900/9930 would be the #1 sticking point of this device. And don't give me the "so-and-so said it was comparable to BB 97xx..,". If you believed that, you are just silly. There is no way a 1230mah battery is enough for a heavy user, on any device for that matter.

We knew the size of the battery for a long time before the release. Yet we all still bought it (myself included). I always had extended batteries in all my prior BB's (8330, Storm2, 9650), but this 9930 that I have is by far the fastest, sexiest device to ever come out of Waterloo - I would never put an extended battery in this. They didn't go for battery life on this device - they went with fast, thin, and sexy.

Without question, this is the best Blackberry ever. And if you are reading this post as an outsider, and you are considering getting the 9930, I would highly recommended it.

Though if Seidio or someone came out with a slim extended battery, I'd jump on it. Which is basically inevitable, but just a matter of how long before said inevitability.
    09-30-11 11:21 AM
    I completely agree. I don't know how anyone thought they would get the same battery life as they did with the Bold 97xx when the battery is smaller. However that being said, I came from a Torch 9800 to the Bold 9900 and I have personally been able to get more battery life with the Bold than I did with my Torch. The Bold last just under two days for me where my torch was about a day and a half.
    09-30-11 11:24 AM
    I totally agree.

As for the battery issues -- all smart phones will suck batteries dry, it's a given. BlackBerry smart phones are usually known for not sucking nearly as much as some others <grin>.

There's a difference between poor battery life and abysmal battery life, though. Coming from the Storm2, which was a full-touch screen device with enough memory leaks to float a battleship (needing a recharge on heavy use days by around 4PM), even I was not prepared for what I could only term as "abysmal" from the 9930 -- and being the AR person that I am, I did some testing then asked my carrier for a brand-new battery as part of my test.

The new battery made all the difference in the world -- truly! I went from having to recharge at 10AM/2PM/6PM/overnight with the original battery to still having 20-30% battery life left at 11PM after taking it off the charger at 6:45 in the morning -- without charging mid day. I use my 9930 in the same way I did my Storm2: averaging about 2.5-4 hours daily with calls, emails (4 accounts on the BB), calendar syncing, BBM, texts, browsing, connected apps (facebook, twitter, foursquare).

It makes sense to me that when a new product comes out, with a new battery type, there are going to be some manufacturing oddities here and there...having worked in hardware/software for the better part of 20 years, I think I'm qualified to say that weirdnesses are a normal part of the process.

Folks with poor battery life should look at how they have things set up on the phone. I got into the habit with the Storm1/2 of immediately turning off the LED notifications for FaceBook, Twitter, Foursquare, and three of the four email accounts on any new device I get, leaving it on for one particular email account and bbm/texts (the important stuff). I lock the screen when I'm done with whatever I'm doing; keep the backlight at a low level, make sure that connected apps (FaceBook, Twitter, Foursquare) are not set to check constantly; keeping GPS/Bluetooth turned off unless actively using them (and when using, turn off the LED); if I'm going to be somewhere that doesn't have coverage for a while (for example inside a warehouse with thick cement walls or a hospital, etc) I turn off the radios. These are things that can suck your battery life if left on, unattended, for long periods of time.

Folks with abysmal battery life -- meaning you are getting 4 hours or less out of a full charge even with all the battery saving tips from above and from CrackBerry forum posts enabled -- really need to swap out the battery -- and it may take two or three to find a good one. It could also be a software issue, but from what I've read here, it seems to me that updating the OS works for folks with basic poor battery life, not so much with abysmal battery life... but it's worth a try, anyway.
    09-30-11 11:51 AM
    Love the enthusiasm!!

09-30-11 12:32 PM
    They didn't go for battery life on this device - they went with fast, thin, and sexy.

Lol but when apple didn't have the same battery life as the 97xx series you heard everyname possible about the iphone lacking in battery life. Now that RIM finally put good features like the touchscreen and the processor now you can see why apples battery didn't last as long as the 97xx. But still for being a blackberry and to have such a small battery with no auto focus and a browser that everyone is comparing to the iphone 4 (which came out a year ago) and it still can't beat it everytime is pretty sad. And don't buy into the whole "QNX will be better" argument, because everybody thought the playbook was going to be better than the ipad, which was a fail, from reading the article on crackberry yesterday RIM hasn't even made a profit off the playbooks yet.

gonzo1x likes this.
    09-30-11 12:36 PM
    I totally agree.

As for the battery issues -- all smart phones will suck batteries dry, it's a given. BlackBerry smart phones are usually known for not sucking nearly as much as some others <grin>.

There's a difference between poor battery life and abysmal battery life, though. Coming from the Storm2, which was a full-touch screen device with enough memory leaks to float a battleship (needing a recharge on heavy use days by around 4PM), even I was not prepared for what I could only term as "abysmal" from the 9930 -- and being the AR person that I am, I did some testing then asked my carrier for a brand-new battery as part of my test.

The new battery made all the difference in the world -- truly! I went from having to recharge at 10AM/2PM/6PM/overnight with the original battery to still having 20-30% battery life left at 11PM after taking it off the charger at 6:45 in the morning -- without charging mid day. I use my 9930 in the same way I did my Storm2: averaging about 2.5-4 hours daily with calls, emails (4 accounts on the BB), calendar syncing, BBM, texts, browsing, connected apps (facebook, twitter, foursquare).

It makes sense to me that when a new product comes out, with a new battery type, there are going to be some manufacturing oddities here and there...having worked in hardware/software for the better part of 20 years, I think I'm qualified to say that weirdnesses are a normal part of the process.

Folks with poor battery life should look at how they have things set up on the phone. I got into the habit with the Storm1/2 of immediately turning off the LED notifications for FaceBook, Twitter, Foursquare, and three of the four email accounts on any new device I get, leaving it on for one particular email account and bbm/texts (the important stuff). I lock the screen when I'm done with whatever I'm doing; keep the backlight at a low level, make sure that connected apps (FaceBook, Twitter, Foursquare) are not set to check constantly; keeping GPS/Bluetooth turned off unless actively using them (and when using, turn off the LED); if I'm going to be somewhere that doesn't have coverage for a while (for example inside a warehouse with thick cement walls or a hospital, etc) I turn off the radios. These are things that can suck your battery life if left on, unattended, for long periods of time.

Folks with abysmal battery life -- meaning you are getting 4 hours or less out of a full charge even with all the battery saving tips from above and from CrackBerry forum posts enabled -- really need to swap out the battery -- and it may take two or three to find a good one. It could also be a software issue, but from what I've read here, it seems to me that updating the OS works for folks with basic poor battery life, not so much with abysmal battery life... but it's worth a try, anyway.
    Very well said.

No doubt there are issues/quirks with the Bold, and certainly if a 9900/9930 is lasting only 4 hours on a charge, then it is probably a bad battery. Heck, even the HTC Thunderbolt can last 5 hours on a charge (or so I hear).

Also, if Seidio or even one of the carriers comes out with an extended battery that will fit with the OEM door, then really, that is a no-brainer.

09-30-11 12:51 PM
    They didn't go for battery life on this device - they went with fast, thin, and sexy.

wow but if I wanted this features, I'd have bough the Iphone 4, wich btw...was released more than 1 year ago!! and yet is a superior device to this BB 9900
    09-30-11 02:14 PM
    wow but if I wanted this features, I'd have bough the Iphone 4, wich btw...was released more than 1 year ago!! and yet is a superior device to this BB 9900
    Exactly!

09-30-11 02:18 PM
    I can't believe all the people that claim they have battery issues with this phone. I am the exact opposite. I can't kill the thing! I use mine very hard most days and have at least 30-40% when I go to bed at night.

This can't possibly be a fluke....
    pinkvikchick likes this.
    09-30-11 03:41 PM
    I agree. I have had no battery issues with heavy use. With my Tour I would have 60% at the end od the day. With my 9930 I have 50%. Does it really matter after 18 hours I have 10% less?.........NO.......ROCK ON RIM, you keep doing you thing. You are still making quality phones.

09-30-11 04:13 PM
    To be fair the iPhone 4 can still compete with ANY phone out there & still give it a run for for its money that's why I'm interested to see what other than the A5 chip & 8mp camera Apple could possibly bring to the iPhone 5.

But back to the main point the BB Bold PERIOD are excellent communication tools with excellent keyboards, Notification system, the ability to edit the dictionary to correct the words you mispell or write in short hand for faster messaging & excellent calendar application just to name a few key features for communication & in my experience of using BB touch screen devices (Torch 9800 & Bold 9900) you have got to sacrifice battery life for the touch screen capability. The BOLD 9900 is an excellent & easily the Best phone as far as BlackBerrys go but to move 2 steps forward BB always seems to have to move 1 step back also (Battery, Camera).

I think regular BlackBerry users will love this phone but people coming from other OS's won't really get it because when it comes to applications BB is way behind & Apple light years ahead to decide what you need most before choosing, excellent communication or excellent applications & web.
    09-30-11 04:52 PM
    Sometimes I look and I have only 186 hours left....omg. I guess I should get rid of the 1,671,261 apps I downloaded and shut wifi off and bluetooth and GPS. Then I could get like maybe a MONTH! I would just buy a new phone then, maybe.

I didn't want to brag on the "BATTERY SUCKS" threads, or be the one Jacka$$ that said "oh no, I get a million hours." when the poor guy has to walk around with his phone plugged into a Honda generator!

I just read MORE of the posts....sorry....dammit I really wanted to brag about how great my battery was, I apologize...
    Last edited by pinkvikchick; 09-30-11 at 05:04 PM. Reason: I was too quick to brag....
    09-30-11 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD