I'm ruling out signal strength. I was on the phone all day in the worst coverage area imaginable. 14 hours after taking off the charger, I'm at 50%. Some people have bad phones or crap apps.
    02-08-12 11:16 PM
    you don't have much apps?
    what kind of apps you are having?
    i am planning to wipe my phone fresh...
    02-08-12 11:22 PM
    I have handbase, navita, a text blocker, beamsuite, and cortado workplace. Maybe one or two others that I never use and forgot about. Someone should start a thread where people with no battery life post their apps. Bet you could find some commonality.
    Last edited by palomartian; 02-09-12 at 10:38 AM. Reason: grammar fix
    02-09-12 12:01 AM
    None of the apps I use (I am a minimalist) drain the battery of my 9900.

Only thing that does, is when I record video clips, long ones, and then upload them via wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    02-09-12 01:47 AM
    I havent had chance to give my battery a hammering yet, as I lave it on the charger when I'm at work all day.
    02-09-12 02:34 AM
    I'm ruling out signal strength. I was on the phone all day in the worst coverage area imaginable. 14 hours after taking off the charger, I'm at 50%. Some people have bad phones or crap apps.
    When was your phone manufactured?
    02-09-12 05:15 AM
    Good on you mate.
    02-09-12 05:22 AM
    Mine was similar until I loaded the latest att os update. I had a gps logger that would kill the battery in 6 hours with no use and the app wasn't even implemented. This phone must get location from towers when gps isn't available like android does. Wish I could turn it off.
    02-09-12 07:25 AM
    Were you on wifi?
    02-09-12 07:37 AM
    I have handbase, navita, a text blocker, beamsuite, and cortado workplace. Maybe one or two others that I never use and forgot about. Someone should start a thread where people with no battery life post there apps. Bet you could find some commonality.
    I have almost 30 apps on my 9900, and I get good battery life. I spend a good chunk of the day in an office with borderline reception. I have wifi at home, but not at the office (Well, we have it, but I can't get the 9900 to connect to it, and IT won't help). Even at home, I mostly forget to turn wifi on. I started out with horrible battery life and came close to returning the phone for this reason.

It's not how many apps you have; it's which ones you use, and which ones are doing things even when you don't use them. The Device Analyzer will tell you what's going on. The Application Management CPU screen will also tell you which apps are churning the CPU.
    02-09-12 08:11 AM
    I have wifi at home, but not at the office (Well, we have it, but I can't get the 9900 to connect to it, and IT won't help). Even at home, I mostly forget to turn wifi on. I started out with horrible battery life and came close to returning the phone for this reason.
    Hey buddy, you might wanna check out wifi manager. It works for me
    ubizmo likes this.
    02-09-12 08:15 AM
    Hey buddy, you might wanna check out wifi manager. It works for me
    Good idea; I'll give it a try.
    02-09-12 08:26 AM
    Hahaha Palo, nice thread. Too funny. Still think the battery and controller system is under spec'd for this phone. To have to manage the apps the apps like we do isn't what this phone was built to do. Many people know how to turn off the apps when not in use.
    Don't want to rehash the other thread points.

I use my phone for work, it seems more people call my mobile than use my office phone. If in the office, using wifi, battery can last forever. Once out of the office and on the network, it really is a huge difference for the same amount of time on the phone. Night and day.

Now you want an app that will kill the battery in no time...yes, I loaded it but it's gone now. Roller Coaster Rush Jurassic. Actually a fun neat game to test the 9900. I think besides Compass it is the only app that uses the accelerometer. Decimates the battery though.

Ubizmo, you mentioned Pandora in another thread, I was curious as well why it shows up in the Battery Analyzer with usage even when off. The effect is negligible but interesting it wakes itself up. Only app I have that does that.
    02-09-12 09:26 AM
    Ubizmo, you mentioned Pandora in another thread, I was curious as well why it shows up in the Battery Analyzer with usage even when off. The effect is negligible but interesting it wakes itself up. Only app I have that does that.
    I'd like to understand it too. 30 secs of CPU time isn't much, but on my device it's not the only device that does it, and if you have enough apps clocking in even when "unused" it can add up.

Here's a list of CPU time used by apps "unused" on a given day:

Pandora: about 30 secs a day.

PageOnce: about 25 secs a day.

BBM: 7 secs.

Amazon music store: 5 secs.

BlackBerry Bridge: 3 secs.

This isn't much, but I've deleted others, such as YouMail, that were eating up more.
    02-09-12 10:02 AM
    to all those with great battery life: post your battery drain test here, otherwise I DON'T BELIEVE YOU. You guys are probably just messing with the rest of us...
    ssb16 likes this.
    02-09-12 10:13 AM
    I'd like to understand it too. 30 secs of CPU time isn't much, but on my device it's not the only device that does it, and if you have enough apps clocking in even when "unused" it can add up.

Here's a list of CPU time used by apps "unused" on a given day:

Pandora: about 30 secs a day.

PageOnce: about 25 secs a day.

BBM: 7 secs.

Amazon music store: 5 secs.

BlackBerry Bridge: 3 secs.

This isn't much, but I've deleted others, such as YouMail, that were eating up more.
    I'd like to know too. I have a stack of apps that show minimal usage when I have not even touched them in a day or two. BB Traffic was throwing me off, so I deleted it.
    02-09-12 10:21 AM
    I don't know when it was made but I got it on day 1 at ATT. It's a Mexico 4 build. I'm on the latest ATT build, did not do the intermediary radio fix release.

Maybe people are streaming audio ota with the volume cranked up and expecting it to last all day. I'm pretty sure I could kill it somewhat quickly doing that. I'll try it on my A2DP Bluetooth today.

I also have the freebie Vlingo thing RIM gave us but never use it. And BB traffic, but I stopped using that when I got a Yoda voice app for my TomTom. Too funny: "A toll road on your route I see. Unexpected this is, and unfortunate. Mmmmmm."
    02-09-12 10:30 AM
    I'll take that as a joke Panda. Surely you don't expect me to waste my time trying to convince you.
    Hgouck and mauricio123 like this.
    02-09-12 10:33 AM
    to all those with great battery life: post your battery drain test here, otherwise I DON'T BELIEVE YOU. You guys are probably just messing with the rest of us...
    Why do we need to provide proof? You don't see me complaining... you'll see me giving suggestions on how to improve.

1. Play with your settings and apps.
    2. Monitor your CPU.
    3. Close all your apps when your done.
    4. Use Wifi when available.
    Hgouck likes this.
    02-09-12 10:38 AM
    I'll take that as a joke Panda. Surely you don't expect me to waste my time trying to convince you.
    yes, palomartian, I wouldn't expect you to use your phone to prove to me it works as you say. God forbid you use it and actually get same usage as the rest of us...
    02-09-12 10:40 AM
    I don't know when it was made but I got it on day 1 at ATT. It's a Mexico 4 build. I'm on the latest ATT build, did not do the intermediary radio fix release.

Maybe people are streaming audio ota with the volume cranked up and expecting it to last all day. I'm pretty sure I could kill it somewhat quickly doing that. I'll try it on my A2DP Bluetooth today.

I also have the freebie Vlingo thing RIM gave us but never use it. And BB traffic, but I stopped using that when I got a Yoda voice app for my TomTom. Too funny: "A toll road on your route I see. Unexpected this is, and unfortunate. Mmmmmm."
    I guess when your Tom Tom then quotes Yoda "Lost a planet, Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing... how embarrassing." it means your in for a very bad day in the car. Too funny.
    02-09-12 10:49 AM
    I guess when your Tom Tom then quotes Yoda "Lost a planet, Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing... how embarrassing." it means your in for a very bad day in the car. Too funny.
    "your destination you have reached. Poooowerful you have become." lol Best $8 I ever spent. Well, maybe not. There was that time in <censored>...
    02-09-12 10:56 AM
    Why do we need to provide proof? You don't see me complaining... you'll see me giving suggestions on how to improve.

1. Play with your settings and apps.
    2. Monitor your CPU.
    3. Close all your apps when your done.
    4. Use Wifi when available.

That's just it. I did the obvious screen settings that I learned from past BB's and just run with it. Never even considered getting one of those battery monitor apps since it's a non-issue. I let apps run all day, etc. I'm guessing it's either hideous QC or there are a ton of very poorly written apps out there. Nothing against the 5 guys who still condescend to develop for these things: 7.0 is relatively new, every phone has a different resolution, huge hurdles to get into the game, user base is drooping like sleeve of wizard...
    02-09-12 10:56 AM
    That's just it. I did the obvious screen settings that I learned from past BB's and just run with it. Never even considered getting one of those battery monitor apps since it's a non-issue.
    That's the problem in a nutshell. With past BBs we just didn't have to care, and the developers didn't have to either (unless there's something about OS 7 that's causing previously well-behaved apps to perform poorly). I never checked the CPU use of apps before the 9900, and didn't even know it could be done. I had plenty of battery power left when I put the phone on the charger at night no matter what I did with it during the day.

Now users and developers have to pay attention to things that could previously be ignored.
    02-09-12 01:42 PM
    There seems to be a growing consensus that importing apps and their settings from a lower OS is causing drain and other issues. I only brought over data: calendar, contacts, and messages.
    02-10-12 11:13 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD